Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Sage to the Vikings

790 am Houston radio has said that the Texans are once again talking to the Vikings about sending Sage for draft picks. Most likely to happen closer to draft day.

According to Rotoworld it is for an undisclosed pick and they are making it sound like it could happen anytime now.

Considering Schaub has stayed healthy for a whopping 11 games in 2007 and 11 games in 2008 - - I think the Texans would be better off keeping Sage at this point.

Well he would definitely be the best QB on their roster, so for the Vikings sake I hope it happens. Not sure if he will be good enough to go deep in the playoffs, but hopefully he gets a shot.

Well he would definitely be the best QB on their roster, so for the Vikings sake I hope it happens. Not sure if he will be good enough to go deep in the playoffs, but hopefully he gets a shot.

He is backup material at best.

Over the last 2 years...15 games...here are his numbers

Completed 414 passes for 3115 Yards, 21 TDs, 22 INTs, and lost 7 fumbles while being sacked 15 times.

21 TDs, 29 turnovers over 15 games.

As a Packer fan, I welcome this and it worries me none.

Had they gone after Anderson or signed Garcia even...hell, even Kerry Collins. I would be much more worried.

Hmmm, financially it's a better move then bringing in Cassell. Definitely smarter then messing with Derek Anderson. Trading for Cassell would have been the ballsiest, high-risk, high-reward move.

I would have went after Garcia personally (grow up).

I sure as heck hope Houston has a veteran backup on the line. As has been stated, Shaub ain't exactly Cal Ripken.

Kind of stupid. Last year, they were offered a 3rd, this year, a 4th - for the same guy. I read at the chron that Kubiak told Sage last year that he wasn't going to be allowed to compete and they weren't going to get rid of him. Sage stayed classy the whole time, but he wanted out.

With that kind of talent, I could see Sage doing well. He had some good performances, just tried to do too much - trying to get a starting job here that Kubes would never give him. Definitely an upgrade over anything they have now.

He is backup material at best.

Over the last 2 years...15 games...here are his numbers

Completed 414 passes for 3115 Yards, 21 TDs, 22 INTs, and lost 7 fumbles while being sacked 15 times.

21 TDs, 29 turnovers over 15 games.

As a Packer fan, I welcome this and it worries me none.

Had they gone after Anderson or signed Garcia even...hell, even Kerry Collins. I would be much more worried.

21 TD's over 15 games is a fair bit. This kid makes some plays, that is more than you can say about their QB's this season, yet they still made the playoffs. I like this move more than Cassell, but i dont think he is going to be as good as DA would of been in that system.

disclosure:

I think Cassell is better, but you cant run the shotgun even 1/3 of the time as the vikings, it just wouldnt work, let alone a base spread offense, like you would want to run if you acquired him.

Another average move at the QB position for the ViQueens.

But he is better than T-Jack and Gus and maybe having the worlds greatest RB can lower his INT and up his TD's couple. Maybe a 23/16 type QB.

But for me this is a lateral move to ensure that TJack keeps his job. Sage will have to really beat down Tjack in training camp to get the job. Chili isn't gonna let him lose it if they are some what equal.

The Texans can't consummate their trade of quarterback Sage Rosenfels to the Minnesota Vikings before 12:01 a.m. Friday, the start of the NFL year and the beginning of free agency. Like other teams, the Texans are preparing for what is always a whirlwind period.

Besides trading Rosenfels to Minnesota for a fourth-round draft choice

Sounds like it's a done deal.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6277538.htmlhttp://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6277538.html

The Minnesota Vikings picking up another garbage QB. How surprising. :headbanger:

They should of waited a little longer to see if they could get Donovan McNabb. I heard he doesn't like Philadelphia right now.

21 TD's over 15 games is a fair bit. This kid makes some plays, that is more than you can say about their QB's this season, yet they still made the playoffs. I like this move more than Cassell, but i dont think he is going to be as good as DA would of been in that system.

disclosure:

I think Cassell is better, but you cant run the shotgun even 1/3 of the time as the vikings, it just wouldnt work, let alone a base spread offense, like you would want to run if you acquired him.

21 TDs is nice. 29 turnovers is terrible.

I see it as an improvment anyway. How much? I'm not sure, if he settles down and doesn't force throws he can bring a much more dangerous passing attack than Jackson.

21 TDs is nice. 29 turnovers is terrible.

yeah, but there other QB's were turnover prone, yet they didnt make any big plays ever. The game that TJax gets credit for as his breakout game last season he threw for less than 200 yards.

yeah, but there other QB's were turnover prone, yet they didnt make any big plays ever. The game that TJax gets credit for as his breakout game last season he threw for less than 200 yards.

As bad as Jackson is...he was not turnover machine last year.

9 TDs 2 INTs, 3 fumbles lost in 9 games.

As bad as Jackson is...he was not turnover machine last year.

9 TDs 2 INTs, 3 fumbles lost in 9 games.

And 1 case of stepping out the back of the endzone.

And 1 case of stepping out the back of the endzone.

When did this happen? I think it was Dan Orlovsky AGAINST the Vikings.

When did this happen? I think it was Dan Orlovsky AGAINST the Vikings.

damn, you are correct. I dont watch too much NFC north.

damn, you are correct. I dont watch too much NFC north.

It was showed enough times....that you really don't have too....

You can't really use what Sage did in Houston as the end all measure for what type of QB he could be as the full time starter. I think the mentality of a starter compared to the mentality of a guy who is "filling in" is different. Plenty of great back-ups have failed once getting a starting nod and plenty have flourished.

I would take almost anyone over Tavaris Jackson. The stats put out about 9 TD's vs 2 Int's is misleading. He never really threw the ball unless it was a completely safe scenerio. You can blame the coaching staff for not giving him a fair shot or blame him and his ability. Either way, Jackson is not the way to go. The Vikings offense is very, very good. All they need is a quality QB who can hand off to AD and hit Berrian on some posts, mixed in with some bullets to Rice and Wade.

Sign Sage and move on!

Leave it to the Minnesota Vikings to make another irresponsible bone-headed decision. :thumbsup:

I can guarantee you there will be way better QBs on the market, yet they had to rush and make a premature decision. Sage Rosenfels does not have the talent to carry the team on his shoulders. I would rather have Garcia, or McNabb who might be traded away from the Eagles per ESPN, on my team. Granted their a lot older than Rosenfels, but they have a lot more value.

I can't believe people haven't given up on the Vikings yet. They've got a foolish owner and a horrible excuse for a head coach.

You can't really use what Sage did in Houston as the end all measure for what type of QB he could be as the full time starter. I think the mentality of a starter compared to the mentality of a guy who is "filling in" is different. Plenty of great back-ups have failed once getting a starting nod and plenty have flourished.

I would take almost anyone over Tavaris Jackson. The stats put out about 9 TD's vs 2 Int's is misleading. He never really threw the ball unless it was a completely safe scenerio. You can blame the coaching staff for not giving him a fair shot or blame him and his ability. Either way, Jackson is not the way to go. The Vikings offense is very, very good. All they need is a quality QB who can hand off to AD and hit Berrian on some posts, mixed in with some bullets to Rice and Wade.

Sign Sage and move on!

So a guy trying to get a starting nod is playing poorly?

Sure he could flourish. Has more of a running game. Then again...his receiving weapons in Houston >>> those in Minny.

With Birk possibly gone...who will fill in at Center?

The turnovers are the part that would scare me if I were a Vikes fan.

How many years did we hear from some of you all about Favre's INTs...but Favre also had the other production that I just don't see happening with Sage.

So a guy trying to get a starting nod is playing poorly?

I'm not sure what I said that warrants this?

Even with Birk gone, he'll still have a better OLine in Minny than they had in Houston. Houston WR's are definitly better, but Minny's aren't that bad. Peterson and Taylor are an upgrade behind him as well. It's hard to say. I'm sure both of us could come with five reasons why he would succeed and five reasons he would fail. My main point is that he is better than anything they have. If it's not Sage, I'd rather have Booty in there.

I'm not sure what I said that warrants this?

Even with Birk gone, he'll still have a better OLine in Minny than they had in Houston. Houston WR's are definitly better, but Minny's aren't that bad. Peterson and Taylor are an upgrade behind him as well. It's hard to say. I'm sure both of us could come with five reasons why he would succeed and five reasons he would fail. My main point is that he is better than anything they have. If it's not Sage, I'd rather have Booty in there.

The whole backup talk...though, I read it better after I wrote it and I realized it was not on point that much. So...my bad on that one.

Oh...and Sage was only sacked 15 times in the last 2 years in his 15 games.

Minny's Oline is a great run blocking Oline...but they have been like Sieves giving up sacks.

43 given up in 2008

38 in 2007

43 in 2006

Minny's are not bad. But Johnson and Daniels are better than about anything Minny has to catch the ball.

Im sure he may have a better chance to succeed...but I don't think he gets rid of the turnovers.

Booty? Why? I have seen nothing out of him that worries me.

Booty? Why? I have seen nothing out of him that worries me.

I only say Booty because I think Frerrotte is nothing more than a quality back-up. I don't think Tavaris is even worth a back-up spot. Booty ran a stellar offense in college and did a great job. Cassell and Palmer have both proved that they can run the show once given the chance in the NFL. Leinart my show he can do it too when they give him the reigns with no strings attached. Whily Booty has done nothing in the NFL, he has more potential than either Gus or Tavaris. If he falls flat on his face...it's no different than what the other two have done. I have no insider info that says Booty is the guy, it's more of a "why not" attitude as for giving him a shot.

To be fair to Jackson, the coaching staff has to turn the QB loose. You can't keep the QB on that tight of a leash and expect great play.

I only say Booty because I think Frerrotte is nothing more than a quality back-up. I don't think Tavaris is even worth a back-up spot. Booty ran a stellar offense in college and did a great job. Cassell and Palmer have both proved that they can run the show once given the chance in the NFL. Leinart my show he can do it too when they give him the reigns with no strings attached. Whily Booty has done nothing in the NFL, he has more potential than either Gus or Tavaris. If he falls flat on his face...it's no different than what the other two have done. I have no insider info that says Booty is the guy, it's more of a "why not" attitude as for giving him a shot.

To be fair to Jackson, the coaching staff has to turn the QB loose. You can't keep the QB on that tight of a leash and expect great play.

IMO the Vikings have to be in win now mode...and handing the team over to a guy with no experience...

With the age of the Oline (and Birk possibly gone)...Sharper? How long can the big boys play?

Not sure they can afford to be trying Booty for a year.

Booty looked god awful against 3rd string defenses in the preseason. There's no way I want him seeing the field until next year, at least.

Booty looked god awful against 3rd string defenses in the preseason. There's no way I want him seeing the field until next year, at least.

Pre-Season means nothing! Don't matter, you have Sage now.

IMO the Vikings have to be in win now mode...and handing the team over to a guy with no experience...

With the age of the Oline (and Birk possibly gone)...Sharper? How long can the big boys play?

Not sure they can afford to be trying Booty for a year.

Agreed. The Vikings needed to sign one of the top veterans available to make a serious run now.

Of course, I don't think they're going far until they give Childress the boot.

There's a reason that Rosenfels has never been a starter before. He is a turnover machine that makes poor decisions when the chips are down (re: the Indy game).

Given the dearth of available QBs, I think the Vikings are victims of having the wrong need at the wrong time, and I'm not sure they've done anything to improve their QB situation with this move. :unsure:

It does if you suck!

With Rosenfels running the offense they will still be the best bet to win in the NFC North again... and as the Cardinals showed us this year, and the Giants the year before, once your in you never know what can happen... MB

There's a reason that Rosenfels has never been a starter before. He is a turnover machine that makes poor decisions when the chips are down (re: the Indy game).

Given the dearth of available QBs, I think the Vikings are victims of having the wrong need at the wrong time, and I'm not sure they've done anything to improve their QB situation with this move. :overhead:

Winnah! :doublethumbsup:

Given the dearth of available QBs, I think the Vikings are victims of having the wrong need at the wrong time, and I'm not sure they've done anything to improve their QB situation with this move. :doublethumbsup:

They were ahead in that Indy game...hardly like the chips were down.