Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Move Percy Harvin down your dynasty draft board

Link

Profootballtalk.com reports that it has confirmed Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at February's Scouting Combine.

The original report came from NFLDraftBible. Harvin's camp never denied the news and the underclassman is reportedly already being removed from teams' draft boards. Draft-eligibles often admit during Combine interviews that they smoked marijuana in college, but actually producing dirty drug tests in Indy sends up a huge red flag. Harvin may fall out of the top-32 picks.

Harvin IMO will end up as one of the biggest impact players in the draft. He is alot like Anthony Carter was in college - he pretty much played WR and Running Back. I see him being what people thought Peter Warrick was..

Okay he smoked up - there's worse things..

Harvin sucks and has no position. He will be a home-run threat (like any fast guy) but not a consistant fantasy player.

Harvin IMO will end up as one of the biggest impact players in the draft. He is alot like Anthony Carter was in college - he pretty much played WR and Running Back. I see him being what people thought Peter Warrick was..

you arent talking about the Anthony Carter that played at Michigan in the '70s are you?

So Moz, if you were readying yourself for a gig that would net you $10 million over the next few years, and all you had to do is work out, keep out of trouble, and stay clean. Could you do it? Sure you could. Most could. But what does it say when someone doesn't? Especially when there are already concerns about immaturity in the first place.

If I'm forking over a few million, I want to make damn sure the guy returns the investment. Up to now, what has Harvin done to secure that confidence? Riding on the coat tails of a great college QB, and one of the more impressive college football programs doesn't cut it. It's on him to build off of what he was in college. As of yet, he hasn't done that.

there was rumor that he was falling down teams draft boards and that several teams indicated they wouldn't even consider him until the 2nd round. The rumor was probably based on this news which had yet to come out. However, it's also been said that Harvin has a poor attitude which has soured people on him. From a talent perspective, this guy could be a catching machine, ala Wes Welker, in the right offense.

So Moz, if you were readying yourself for a gig that would net you $10 million over the next few years, and all you had to do is work out, keep out of trouble, and stay clean. Could you do it? Sure you could. Most could. But what does it say when someone doesn't? Especially when there are already concerns about immaturity in the first place.

If I'm forking over a few million, I want to make damn sure the guy returns the investment. Up to now, what has Harvin done to secure that confidence? Riding on the coat tails of a great college QB, and one of the more impressive college football programs doesn't cut it. It's on him to build off of what he was in college. As of yet, he hasn't done that.

So I guess he should have gotten drunk then, that would be ok.

So I guess he should have gotten drunk then, that would be ok.

Dunno, can the NFL test for alcohol?

Don't get me wrong, I like smoking bud. But I think I could abstain a few months and do everything I could to quell the issues surrounding my character. Harvin didn't exactly do that, did he?

It's so ignorant people get into trouble for using a drug that's freakin safer than an aspirin. Safest drug known to mankind, come on people.

It's so ignorant people get into trouble for using a drug that's freakin safer than an aspirin. Safest drug known to mankind, come on people.

matters not, it's illegal...and for gawds sake, all you gotta do is wait until after draft day. he just cost his dumbazz self lots of $$$.

you arent talking about the Anthony Carter that played at Michigan in the '70s are you?

I hope not because that would make him absolutely clueless about AC.

matters not, it's illegal...and for gawds sake, all you gotta do is wait until after draft day. he just cost his dumbazz self lots of $$$.

Exactly.

I'm all for the legalization of weed, and smoke it when I can, but if I'm set to be guaranteed a few million in a couple of weeks I'm not taking any chances.

Who was the last player to actually test positive before the draft? I know Calvin Johnson and Gaines Adams admitted to smoking weed, but neither tested positive. There were rumors swirling around Warren Sapp, but I don't think he failed a drug test.

Anyone of consequence? Or is Harvin the first?

I wonder if teams can put clauses in rookie contracts about IF you get caught again....your pay becomes this, or you have to pay back X amount?

Not good news for Harvin, I think this does hurt his draft stock...

But I think in the right situation, he could have a huge impact in the NFL. There were some talks about Indy looking at him @ 27, and could you imagine this guy with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball surrounded by Reggie Wayne A. Gonzalez and Dallas Clark?!?!?!?!?!? Match him up against LBs or slower CBs and he could be dangerous, like 10-15 TDs dangerous..

I wonder if teams can put clauses in rookie contracts about IF you get caught again....your pay becomes this, or you have to pay back X amount?

I'm pretty sure the NFLPA wouldn't sign onto this.

Can you say Charles Rogers 2.0 ?

Dunno, can the NFL test for alcohol?

Don't get me wrong, I like smoking bud. But I think I could abstain a few months and do everything I could to quell the issues surrounding my character. Harvin didn't exactly do that, did he?

I understand your point about abstaining a few months.

I was just speaking to the fact that weed is categorized as worse than other legal, medicinal coping tools, such as alcohol. Rediculous.

He's not sliding down my board, especially a dynasty league, just cause he toked.

Not good news for Harvin, I think this does hurt his draft stock...

But I think in the right situation, he could have a huge impact in the NFL. There were some talks about Indy looking at him @ 27, and could you imagine this guy with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball surrounded by Reggie Wayne A. Gonzalez and Dallas Clark?!?!?!?!?!? Match him up against LBs or slower CBs and he could be dangerous, like 10-15 TDs dangerous..

Indy has looked at him, but with all the negative news about him and the drug testing positive here at Indy, they ususally pass on these players with character issues. So I doubt he is being considered anymore.

I understand your point about abstaining a few months.

I was just speaking to the fact that weed is categorized as worse than other legal, medicinal coping tools, such as alcohol. Rediculous.

He's not sliding down my board, especially a dynasty league, just cause he toked.

He will when he couldn't stay away to save a few million. Once in the league with a contract he is more likely to get caught again. And in turn miss games.

Posts like this are dumb. What does smoking weed have to do with where a guy is on my dynasty draft board? Talent and the team that takes him are a thousand times more important.

Posts like this are dumb. What does smoking weed have to do with where a guy is on my dynasty draft board? Talent and the team that takes him are a thousand times more important.

:dunno:

Indy has looked at him, but with all the negative news about him and the drug testing positive here at Indy, they ususally pass on these players with character issues. So I doubt he is being considered anymore.

You still picking for Indy?

Yeah, it's unfortunate too...Im a HUUUUGEE Indy follower, and I think a speedy, electric playmaker like Harvin is all this offense needs to become an elite team again. Without that, Clark and Gonzo are too slow, and defenses can shift over towards Wayne without Harrison...and we all know about our running game. I still think Harvin could be an option, since I read about 2-3 weeks ago that he was just RUMORED to have failed a drug test, and the Colts still showed interest in him. Hopefuly DHB or Maclin fall to Indy @27, but its doubtful...Peyton needs one more weapon.

We'll bump this thread for you when he starts missing games for his 2nd and 3rd violation of the NFL Substance Abuse policy. Also, he has to be dumb as a box of rocks to get busted at the combine.

You still picking for Indy?

Yes, I am just debating who to pick. Since my top 5 to 6 guys have gone, which I figured one would be here still.

Yes, I am just debating who to pick. Since my top 5 to 6 guys have gone, which I figured one would be here still.

That's cool. Take your time, but hurry the fock up. :dunno:

Yeah, it's unfortunate too...Im a HUUUUGEE Indy follower, and I think a speedy, electric playmaker like Harvin is all this offense needs to become an elite team again. Without that, Clark and Gonzo are too slow, and defenses can shift over towards Wayne without Harrison...and we all know about our running game. I still think Harvin could be an option, since I read about 2-3 weeks ago that he was just RUMORED to have failed a drug test, and the Colts still showed interest in him. Hopefuly DHB or Maclin fall to Indy @27, but its doubtful...Peyton needs one more weapon.

I guess there are now rumors Hood might be an option for us, if he falls. I would still like us to take a DT if one of these three guys are there, over a WR. Harvin might still be an option, but I just have seen it in the past, Indy stays away from these guys and they usually cut guys have start having off the field issues, so why would they draft one that already had issues.

Britt is looking like an option for me in the mock draft here. As from what I have read, if one of the top DT/NT isn't there, we are looking at WR for the first round.

If we were talking about a proven entity, say Randy Moss or Brandon Marshall, I'd agree with you. But we're talking about a guy who has to prove he can make the transition from college to the pros. Such a transition takes more than talent. Everyone in the NFL is talented. To set yourself apart you have to dedicate yourself year round. Harvin obviously doesn't understand this yet.

2 simple words.

Ricky Williams.

If we were talking about a proven entity, say Randy Moss or Brandon Marshall, I'd agree with you. But we're talking about a guy who has to prove he can make the transition from college to the pros. Such a transition takes more than talent. Everyone in the NFL is talented. To set yourself apart you have to dedicate yourself year round. Harvin obviously doesn't understand this yet.

If you bumped every player who smoked weed down your dynasty draft board, there'd be no-one left at the top. This guy just happened to get caught.

2 simple words.

Ricky Williams.

2 more words

Warren Sapp

How did it work out for all the teams that passed on him cause he got caught with weed?

A guy can play or he can't. Just assume they're all on weed and ignore those who get caught.

---harvin is what he is: an explosive and elusive athlete who can run and catch the football and generate TDs. his key will be finding the right fit and utilization of his skills.

---sure, the reports of drug use are not encouraging endorsements of a young player's character or demanor; yet, it is what it is, a young player still learning decision-making and judgment and not schooled on the upcoming responsibilities of being in the nfl.

---GMs and talent evaluators have long been known to take these thing with a grain of salt. one, falling talent on the draft board has to stop somewhere, and often it becomes one team's dream come true [warren sapp falling amidst rumors, becoming the prototype 3-technique]; two, a lot of GMs would at least favor this type of useage over steroids, [ie usc linebackers], due to the skewed performance results making evaluation for draft purposes unreliable.

---harvin is what he is: an explosive and elusive athlete who can run and catch the football and generate TDs. his key will be finding the right fit and utilization of his skills.

---sure, the reports of drug use are not encouraging endorsements of a young player's character or demanor; yet, it is what it is, a young player still learning decision-making and judgment and not schooled on the upcoming responsibilities of being in the nfl.

---GMs and talent evaluators have long been known to take these thing with a grain of salt. one, falling talent on the draft board has to stop somewhere, and often it becomes one team's dream come true [warren sapp falling amidst rumors, becoming the prototype 3-technique]; two, a lot of GMs would at least favor this type of useage over steroids, [ie usc linebackers], due to the skewed performance results making evaluation for draft purposes unreliable.

Given the past couple years of Pac-Man and the new sheriff in town (Goodell) I would say teams care about it 10 time more right now than they did 5 years ago.

Harvin has been busted before. He also has a "possy" kind of like Pac-Man. Teams are pretty aware and I bet pretty scared to take a guy like that at this stage. If he is dumb enough to get caught multiple times, and dumb enough to lose himself millions when he knew he would be tested at the combine. If he is that dumb now I'm willing to bet once he has cash in his pocket and no real worries he will be just as dumb if not more so.

Given the past couple years of Pac-Man and the new sheriff in town (Goodell) I would say teams care about it 10 time more right now than they did 5 years ago.

Harvin has been busted before. He also has a "possy" kind of like Pac-Man. Teams are pretty aware and I bet pretty scared to take a guy like that at this stage. If he is dumb enough to get caught multiple times, and dumb enough to lose himself millions when he knew he would be tested at the combine. If he is that dumb now I'm willing to bet once he has cash in his pocket and no real worries he will be just as dumb if not more so.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Harvin slip into round 2 - even mid to low round 2. The pot thing is old - and still not totally reliable news, as neither of these internet media has a great reputation for reliable reporting, and both are known for spreading rumors - (not that I don't necessarily believe it - I'd say at least a 95%+ chance it is true). But teams wouldn't mark him down much on that basis alone. However factor in the following on top of it, and you have a real train-wreck in the making:

1. Unique 'tweener' skills that some teams just don't trust - he's harder to evaluate than more traditional pure WRs.

2. It has been reported that he has a 'posse' of hangers-on similar to Allen Iverson.

3. It has been reported that more than one of his combine interviews left some teams very unimpressed.

4. He has a significant history, mostly to his legs and ankles.

Any of these things would cause teams to think twice - add them all together and I'm smelling perhaps the biggest fall in this draft. I had him ranked at WR #4 for fantasy purposes pre-draft. Assuming he drops like I think he will, I'll know that teams are re-evaluating the risk of high bust factor, and you can bet I'd do the same for fantasy.

you're def correct on his background.

at least one graphic talking about the draft and listing pluses and minuses listed his "virginia beach area code" and background, noting that this is the same area that hail mike vick and deangelo hall. :doublethumbsup:

will he get a clue from current botch stories and embrace his new world and role in it? :thumbsup: