Sign in to follow this  
gram

LT vs wessy

if you had to pick between wessy or LT. who would you rather have on your team in a DYANASTY PPR... both same age...how much of a worry is mccoy? i know it will be a while for gatrell johnson. any thoughts????

I like Westy. I think he has another 2 good years in him. I think this might be the end of the line for LT.

when do we get to do the bold predictions?

Wow, people are writing off LT pretty quickly. Last year he dealt with an injury that bothered him all year, and despite that he still had a decent season, although no-where near what we expected. He's got a great offence around him, and the HC said he will be the lead back. They haven't given Sproles any kind of extension, so we can assume LT will still get a big workload. I like LT's chances to play in 16 games this year allot more than Westy. Westy has less wear and tear because he doesn't get hit nearly as much as LT has, but his knees are not in great shape.

It's close, but I'll say LT. I think people are writing him off too soon.

Wow, people are writing off LT pretty quickly. Last year he dealt with an injury that bothered him all year, and despite that he still had a decent season, although no-where near what we expected. He's got a great offence around him, and the HC said he will be the lead back. They haven't given Sproles any kind of extension, so we can assume LT will still get a big workload. I like LT's chances to play in 16 games this year allot more than Westy. Westy has less wear and tear because he doesn't get hit nearly as much as LT has, but his knees are not in great shape.

It's close, but I'll say LT. I think people are writing him off too soon.

1100 rushing yards and 11 td's and i think another 400 thru the air with another td.

hardly pedestrian fantasy numbers.. It was good enough for 5th in my PPr leagues amongst RB's.... even with all the injuries.

but somehow he is done. :unsure:

raider 84 said he has 2 more years...does anybody else actually believe that? i think personally that LT is prolly going to have a great bounce back year. in my opinions it feels wessy is the more chancy of the 2...especially since it seems they have a very able back in greene

Boy, this one is really close. I agree a lot with Belushi, and I'm a little surprised at the folks who are saying that LT is done. I would take either and be happy, but I think that LT still has the higher upside, as I think that he has a chance at all 16 games, whereas Westbrook is a virtual lock to miss 2-3 games, and possibly be affected in more. Westbrook's biggest advantage is that he catches so many balls. That's something to love, and why I would be very content with him as well.

But given the choice, I think LT is better this way.

McCoy has to learn how to block before he sees the field.

LT , but facter in I'm a Skins fan :thumbsup: -- seriously though.. either or I can be happy with

Wessy?

ghey

:lol:

LT

healthy again, will be close to 2007 numbers. still in crap division

I'll go with LT also.

He battled thru injuries, still had decent year.

The Iggles just revamped the O-line, I want to see how well they gel first.

Wessy

I have a friend who knows one of the Chargers assistant trainers and he said that LT suffers from chronic vaginal muscle strains. There's no way I'd want a guy like that on my team.

Ill take Westbrook. It is close for me. With all the speed the Eagles have on the outside now, it should open things up. Westbrook may see some bigger running lanes now. I think both LT and Westbrook have two more years in them.....I just prefer Westbrook at this moment.

sorry for the "wessy" i meant westy :music_guitarred:. right now i am leaning much towards westy, especially since its ppr. it seems pretty close to everybody else anyway, w/exception of a few.

just to compare... this past season in my ESPN ppr league, Westbrook was 8th among running backs with 270 fantasy points. LT was 5th with 278. Westbrook did miss 2 games

but LT dealt with that turf toe from week 2 until pretty late in the season, then dealt with a groin pull.

Their receiving stats were nearly identical in catches and yards but westy had more receiving td's.

you can't go wrong either way...

I think LT has something to prove this year. Last year he was under constant scrutiny and criticism. I am one of those people who think LT is going to have a very good year. I refrain from calling it "bounce back" because the guy had 1500 total yards and 12 scores last year... but lets just say he is going to be the topic of one of my bold predictions.

I agree with Belushi. LT was banged up for most of the year and he was only 7 points (less than a half point per game) behind on the entire year from finishing as a Top 3 RB last year behind only DeAngelo Williams and Matt Forte. And he was about 31 points behind those two which is about a 2 point per game difference. LT had over 340 total touches last year and should be at least that much this year. I do like the fact that Westy gets more action in the passing game but the odds of him missing more time and or being at less than 100% throughout the year are greater than LT's.

The thing that cracks me up is that everyone is so on the Adrian Peterson bandwagon as the #1 overall RB and yet with LT and Westy banged up more than him last year, he finished behind them in PPR leagues. ADP was the 9th best RB in PPR leagues last year and yet most will draft him #1 overall. Chester Taylor takes WAY too many touches from him, especially in the passing game (Taylor- 45 receptions to ADP's- 21) and Taylor himself scored 7 TDs (4-2-1) last year as compared to ADP's 10.

So who really is the #1 Fantasy RB? Matt Forte? MJD? LT? Turner? Westy? ADP?

Wessy? Wessy?

I'm laughing my butt off as I read through this. This has the makings of a classic FFToday thread. Brian Westbrook will never be anything other than "Wessy" now for me...

I'll go with LT also.

He battled thru injuries, still had decent year.

The Iggles just revamped the O-line, I want to see how well they gel first.

I would also go with LT.

one other factor to consider is they will have Merriman back and drafted a difference maker (English) in the first round.

if the defense regains the form of 2 years ago, it's easy to call for an increase in LT's workload. The team goes up 10 points, and runs the ball like crazy to kill the clock.

so long as LT remains healthy, he is the better choice.

and the fact that Westy gets hurt a lot himself, leads me to believe the risks associated with LT will offset the risks associated with Westy.

A lot of valid points here in a close call. Another factor might be the hand-cuff of each. I totally get the people who don't like hand-cuffs... they just want a roster of good players but, in this case with two high risk injury players hand-cuffing works well. If you have LT suddenly having Sproles on your roster makes a lot of sense as with McCoy for 'Wessy'. Sproles lights up the fantasy scoreboard when LT is out. McCoy... maybe...

I'm personally not extremely high on either...But I don't get how everyone is preaching more touches for LT?

He had 340 last year, which is a pretty good amount. Darren Sproles was by far the more effective back last year, albeit because of LT's injuries...But he showed the Chargers that he can handle a full workload, and can really really excel getting 10 carries + 2/3 catches a game. The guy behind him is Jacob Hester, who is actually a very talented RB, and really excelled in the preseason touches he got. So they didn't have a TREMENDOUS need to bring back Sproles, yet they are going to be paying him ~$10 million this year because of his franchise tag. I don't think they'd pay $10 mill to a return man, so I don't see why Sproles wouldn't be expected to get 150-200 touches this year, severely cutting into LT's production.

LT has 2657 career carries + 510 catches. Westy has 1247 carries + 401 catches. Career touches... LT=3167, Westy=1648. Big difference there as far as wear and tear. They will both be 30 by the time the season starts. Based on career touches alone, I'd go with Westy for sure. LT has touched the ball a whopping 1519 times more! Granted, Westy has NEVER played a whole season, however, I feel that LT is headed down that same path for sure. With that said, I think injury risk is a wash between these two at this point in their careers.

I'll take Westbrook.

A lot of valid points here in a close call. Another factor might be the hand-cuff of each. I totally get the people who don't like hand-cuffs... they just want a roster of good players but, in this case with two high risk injury players hand-cuffing works well. If you have LT suddenly having Sproles on your roster makes a lot of sense as with McCoy for 'Wessy'. Sproles lights up the fantasy scoreboard when LT is out. McCoy... maybe...

I dont consider LT to be a huge injury risk.

he hasnt missed significant time due to injury over his career, and tends to play through his injuries (as compared to some who miss games)

When LT gets hurt, his production goes down, and he goes from being a top ranked #1 guy to being a #2 guy when he plays hurt.

Westy has missed significant time due to injury over his career. And when you dont play, you arent a #1 guy or a #2 guy. you're on the bench.

so I still consider the injury risk for Westy to be higher than it is for LT.

I dont consider LT to be a huge injury risk.

he hasnt missed significant time due to injury over his career, and tends to play through his injuries (as compared to some who miss games)

When LT gets hurt, his production goes down, and he goes from being a top ranked #1 guy to being a #2 guy when he plays hurt.

Westy has missed significant time due to injury over his career. And when you dont play, you arent a #1 guy or a #2 guy. you're on the bench.

so I still consider the injury risk for Westy to be higher than it is for LT.

I have heard LT is in great shape and hope he can have a bounce back season as I wouldn't write him off just yet. I could see LT dropping off in 2010 with another year of wear and tear on his body. As it has been stated, Westbrook misses games while LT plays through injuries. I'd take LT but not by much.

The Iggles have not shown me anything new in the playbook that would lead me to believe Westy is not the center of the game plan. He is too talented.

However, I think everyone is holding their breath on the severity of the surgery and the full extent that will play out.

The Chargers have many more options now and will use that. How many times did you see LT line up in the backfield only to be a decoy.... :pointstosky:

This is not a write off of LT, just he will not see as many touches, but should be healthy without turf toe nagging.

Healthy LT

or

85% Westy?

Westy still gets the nod.

ill say it again.

LT was a top 5 back in PPR's last year despite his supposed crash.

Westbrook was 8th. I know he missed 2 games but don't we expect that?

give me LT all day. reports are he looks to be in good shape and has had the offseason to put the turf toe and groin injuries to bed. Do not confuse Sproles to be the next Turner. He will spell LT but a healthy LT is still a monster and SD knows that.

Westbrook has injury concerns already and the team just drafted McCoy so he has his own high profile backup to contend with.

ill say it again.

LT was a top 5 back in PPR's last year despite his supposed crash.

Westbrook was 8th. I know he missed 2 games but don't we expect that?

give me LT all day. reports are he looks to be in good shape and has had the offseason to put the turf toe and groin injuries to bed. Do not confuse Sproles to be the next Turner. He will spell LT but a healthy LT is still a monster and SD knows that.

Westbrook has injury concerns already and the team just drafted McCoy so he has his own high profile backup to contend with.

agreed.

LT actually has less games missed due to injury over his career than Westy (by quite a bit I think) and I think their ages are reasonably similar. So with all things being equal, I think I still prefer LT.

LaDainian Tomlinson has 2,657 rush attempts in his career. Westbrook has 1,247 rush attempts. They are both the same age but LT2 has way more miles. Those miles started to manifest themselves last year and it is drastic fall off from there based on past history of RB's in the NFL. See almost all of them including Alexander, Faulk, on down the line once they passed the 2,500 rush attempt plateau if they ever even got there at all.

Tomlinson was on borrowed time last year let alone this coming up season. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

LaDainian Tomlinson has 2,657 rush attempts in his career. Westbrook has 1,247 rush attempts. They are both the same age but LT2 has way more miles. Those miles started to manifest themselves last year and it is drastic fall off from there based on past history of RB's in the NFL. See almost all of them including Alexander, Faulk, on down the line once they passed the 2,500 rush attempt plateau if they ever even got there at all.

Tomlinson was on borrowed time last year let alone this coming up season. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Tomlinson's numbers were subpar because he played while injured. Something that Westy doesnt typically do.

If Westy gets the same injury LT had last year, he'd probably misses 4-6 games. His yards per carry wouldnt be affected to the same degree, but that is to be expected.

I am not saying that age isnt a concern, it is. but that concern applies to both players equally.

I also present the arguement that injuries will also effectively add miles to the odomoter even if the player does not play through them.

either way, I'd say the age arguement is equal. the workload arguement is in favour of Westy as he has a lot less carries. and the injury arguement is in favour of LT as he has had less injuries, and less serious injuries than Westy.

I personally prefer the player who gets injured less often, but even if you consider the risks to be roughly balanced, LT was the better talent in the first place and has traditionally outperformed Westy in most FFL seasons, and I'd rather have him.

That is not to say that I wouldnt want Westy on my team. I just prefer LT to him and that is my preference.

Tomlinson's numbers were subpar because he played while injured. Something that Westy doesnt typically do.

If Westy gets the same injury LT had last year, he'd probably misses 4-6 games. His yards per carry wouldnt be affected to the same degree, but that is to be expected.

I am not saying that age isnt a concern, it is. but that concern applies to both players equally.

I also present the arguement that injuries will also effectively add miles to the odomoter even if the player does not play through them.

either way, I'd say the age arguement is equal. the workload arguement is in favour of Westy as he has a lot less carries. and the injury arguement is in favour of LT as he has had less injuries, and less serious injuries than Westy.

I personally prefer the player who gets injured less often, but even if you consider the risks to be roughly balanced, LT was the better talent in the first place and has traditionally outperformed Westy in most FFL seasons, and I'd rather have him.

That is not to say that I wouldnt want Westy on my team. I just prefer LT to him and that is my preference.

Hey, I'm not telling you who to root for in the game. I'm just letting you know the score.

gotta agree with Ray on this one. Well, obviously since I am high on LT this year.

Even for those who want to write off LT as totally done, I don't quite understand how they can be any higher on Westbrook. They are the same age and Westbrook is always banged up. He just had surgery on his ankle to remove bone fragments right?

The extra carries LT has had in his career are certainly a cause for concern but he has been VER VERY durable. Even during turf toe and groin injuries last year he played in every game and was a top 10 quality back. (id also like to point out that he was one of the more consistent backs outside Matt Forte).

Perhaps ill be eating crow in half a year but I just don't see the reason why so many people are pronouncing the guy dead. Id be much more concerned if all of a sudden LT has missed 4 or 5 games last year. Then I might think to myself that the tires were starting to fall off. But all that happened is he had trouble cutting and it was reflected in his ypc (3.8). I fully expect that number back around 4.3 this season.

gotta agree with Ray on this one. Well, obviously since I am high on LT this year.

Even for those who want to write off LT as totally done, I don't quite understand how they can be any higher on Westbrook. They are the same age and Westbrook is always banged up. He just had surgery on his ankle to remove bone fragments right?

The extra carries LT has had in his career are certainly a cause for concern but he has been VER VERY durable. Even during turf toe and groin injuries last year he played in every game and was a top 10 quality back. (id also like to point out that he was one of the more consistent backs outside Matt Forte).

Perhaps ill be eating crow in half a year but I just don't see the reason why so many people are pronouncing the guy dead. Id be much more concerned if all of a sudden LT has missed 4 or 5 games last year. Then I might think to myself that the tires were starting to fall off. But all that happened is he had trouble cutting and it was reflected in his ypc (3.8). I fully expect that number back around 4.3 this season.

The only difference I'd make is that at LT's age, you definitely handcuff yourself and grab sproles with a late pick.

and this I think is common sense anyhow.

The only difference I'd make is that at LT's age, you definitely handcuff yourself and grab sproles with a late pick.

and this I think is common sense anyhow.

youd prolly have to do the same with mccoy and a round or 2 earlier at that.

youd prolly have to do the same with mccoy and a round or 2 earlier at that.

Nope. there is no selecting QB's in any round. My league is an Auction league. So if a player is important to me, I just need to make sure I set enough money aside.

With that being said, I may still pick him up, but there is more to it than just that....

in my league, there are only 5 spare roster spots other than starters.

This is because we start 2 QB's and there are only 32 teams in the league so not all teams will have a starter as their backup. The small roster size makes it difficult for people to hoarde QB's and also forces people to place a premium on players less prone to injury.

It also forces teams to place a premium on players who will actually be able to help you on a bye week. (Mccoy wont do this unless McNabb actually gets hurt)

so a QB3 who is the backup to my QB1 means I need a fourth QB in my lineup to cover Philly's bye week.

so depending on how the auction goes, my strategy could change on a dime as I cant have a wealth of talent in any one position without making another position significantly weaker.

ie. 4 QB's on my roster means likely only 3 RB's or 4 WR's. (both not desireable positions either because of the number of starters in our league

Sometimes it also means more player movement throughout the season as teams constantly make personell moves to cover injuries, bye weeks and such.