Sign in to follow this  
ToadSprocket

Are you kidding me!

Even though we have more TVs than rooms in our house, I bought a Vizio High Definition TV just over a year ago.

My family wanted HD so I got a 42" flat screen (not plazma).

Anyway, the #*^@!)& picture went out on Sunday. 15 months and the damn thing is now worthless!

Anybody got a Vizio HD?

:headbanger:

:mad:

If it's LCD check to see if maybe the light just burned out. LCD TV's use a light bulb to generate their light behind the screen and, just like regular light bulbs, they burn out over time and need to be replaced.

And I bought it at Circuit City. :headbanger:

I'd hurry up and throw it away before someone offers a simple cheap solution

Stab your eyes with an icepick..Problem solved

If it's LCD check to see if maybe the light just burned out. LCD TV's use a light bulb to generate their light behind the screen and, just like regular light bulbs, they burn out over time and need to be replaced.

The Direct TV repairman said that is exactly what it is but he said the replacement cost is equivalent of a new TV.

I bought this thing for $ 1200. Soonafter they dropped to $ 1000. And now they are down to $ 700- $ 800.

It's just 15 months!

We have a Tekniki TV that my wife's family bought in the 70s that still works fine.

The Direct TV repairman said that is exactly what it is but he said the replacement cost is equivalent of a new TV.

I bought this thing for $ 1200. Soonafter they dropped to $ 1000. And now they are down to $ 700- $ 800.

It's just 15 months!

We have a Tekniki TV that my wife's family bought in the 70s that still works fine.

That's crazy. Don't take the repairman's word for it. Check out the price of a new bulb online and change it yourself. It's usually pretty simple.

That guy is fill of sh!t. The bulb when out on my dad's Sony LCD, and the replacement bulb was like $100, and it took maybe 20 minutes for us to figure out how to swap it out.

Find a bulb cheap, and swap it out. Be a man. Go snag one out of the display model at sams if you have to.

It's just 15 months!

Obviously this may not be the right one for your TV since I don't know what model you have but a quick search for Vizio lcd bulbs yielded the following:

http://www.bulbsolutions.com/Vizio_RP56_Re...Lamp_p/rp56.htm

That's the price range I've heard of these things costing. It should be something you can replace yourself. It's just a light bulb. I have a buddy who's done it on his Sony LCD. His failed within the first year btw so this isn't something unique to VIZIO.

It's just 15 months!

took the words right out of my mouth.

heck, the warranty was prolly $300, and it covered what 3-4 years? what about the other 10 years it was supposed to work for?

simple solution, dont buy from compaines that dont have a track record.

panasonic

samsung

sony

:banana:

We have a Tekniki TV that my wife's family bought in the 70s

Seriously? How much you want for it?

took the words right out of my mouth.

heck, the warranty was prolly $300, and it covered what 3-4 years? what about the other 10 years it was supposed to work for?

simple solution, dont buy from compaines that dont have a track record.

panasonic

samsung

sony

:banana:

Vizio: The new top-selling LCD TV brand—and a fairly reliable one, too

Looking for further evidence that the economy has even big-screen TV buyers pinching their pennies? According to market research firm iSuppli, budget-conscious consumers have made Vizio the top-selling brand of LCD TV in North America for the first quarter of 2009.

Vizio made its mark selling sets typically priced well below comparable sets from major brands such as Samsung and Sony. More recently, the company has offered step-up models with features such as 120Hz refresh rates and sophisticated video-processing circuitry, also at prices well below its major-brand competitors. For example, iSuppli says, a 40/42-inch Vizio with 120Hz technology costs about $1,000; that’s about $400 less than a similar model from Samsung or Sony.

Vizios, sold at mass-market retailers such as Walmart and Costco, often do well in our Ratings of LCD sets (available to subscribers).

However, comments to a 2008 blog on the brand, as well as our discussion board on LCD TVs, include many complaints about the reliability of the brand’s sets, particularly after its one-year in-house repair warranty has expired. Some also complained about Vizio’s customer service.

In fact, our most recent reliability survey data (available to subscribers) shows that the rate of repairs for Vizio TVs has beens quite low, and comparable to its competition. The survey, which covered more than 168,000 LCD and plasma TVs bought between 2005 and 2008, showed that the repair rate for Vizio LCD TVs was 3 percent, the average for all 16 LCD brands covered in the survey. Perhaps just as important, Vizio was one of a small number of companies that stood out for ease of repair, meaning there were few, if any, issues getting the set repaired in a timely fashion.

The bottom line? We see no evidence of a reliability problem for Vizio, nor that the brand’s customer service is lacking when sets do break. Rather, even reliable TV brands have some sets that fail, and their owners are understandably disappointed, especially if they fail after the warranty has expired.

Then why so many Vizio complaints on our site, compared with those for other brands? With anecdotal reports, it’s hard to say. In this case, owners of broken Vizios might have reached our blog when they searched online for information on the brand’s reliability, and left comments on their experiences. While these comments provide rich and interesting reading, they also leave an impression of unreliability that our data does not support.

But brand reliability is something we monitor regularly; we’re collecting new data on TV reliability now, and will publish it later in the year. Stay tuned for the results. —James K. Willcox and Paul Reynolds

LCD reliability: (listed from most reliable to least reliable) The numbers represent the % of each particular brand that needed repair or had serious problems. This is from owner surveys.

Sanyo 1

Sony 2

Sylvania 2

Panasonic 2

JVC 2

Sharp 2

Toshiba 3

Vizio 3

Samsung 3

Philips Magnavox 3

Olevia 4

LG 4

Hitachi 4

Westinghouse 5

Polaroid 6

Mitsubishi 7

a Vizio?

ain't that the TV that Ladanian Tomlinson was advertising for?

and you're surprised it quit early on you!

:rimshot:

Somebody please send this thread to Colin Cowherd. Focker and his "I won't sell anything I don't believe in bullshiit."

a Vizio?

ain't that the TV that Ladanian Tomlinson was advertising for?

and you're surprised it quit early on you!

:rimshot:

:dunno:

LCD reliability: (listed from most reliable to least reliable) The numbers represent the % of each particular brand that needed repair or had serious problems. This is from owner surveys.

Sanyo 1

Sony 2

Sylvania 2

Panasonic 2

JVC 2

Sharp 2

Toshiba 3

Vizio 3

Samsung 3

Philips Magnavox 3

Olevia 4

LG 4