Sign in to follow this  
AmbassadorOfKwan

Gun owners or anyone with knowledge of guns..

Ever heard of High Point Firearms? Ive seen mixed reviews...just wondering if anyone knows anything about these guns...good or bad. :rolleyes:

do you mean Hi-point? they make simple usually reliable guns, but they do it on the cheap. so you get what you pay for.

i think you're SOL til next week...

BLS and his buddies are in a cabin somewheres.

Hi-Point is the one...I know u get what you pay for, but do you think it would be ok just to keep in the house for "security" purposes?

do you mean Hi-point? they make simple usually reliable guns, but they do it on the cheap. so you get what you pay for.

Hi-Point is the one...I know u get what you pay for, but do you think it would be ok just to keep in the house for "security" purposes?

Your home defense weapon is the MOST important weapon there is to own.

Skimping on something that may only ever happen once in your life (if ever), isn't a really good idea.

That being said, Hi-Point makes cheap guns. Period.

If you had to have an insurance policy for your entire family's life, would you buy the cheapest one there is?

Want my advice?

Go get a Mossberg 500 series shotgun, get some 00 buck shot, and show your wife/kids (if they are old enough) how to shoot it by putting the stock on their hip. I'm sure there's a youtube video showing how.

Pump action shotguns are THE defacto home defense weapons. it's tough to miss, they hardly ever jam or misfire, they are inexpensive (around 300) and they will F*CK somebody up.

Your only other option for that scenario is a revolver. Autos can jam....revolvers NEVER do.

I'd recommend a .357...

Your home defense weapon is the MOST important weapon there is to own.

Skimping on something that may only ever happen once in your life (if ever), isn't a really good idea.

That being said, Hi-Point makes cheap guns. Period.

If you had to have an insurance policy for your entire family's life, would you buy the cheapest one there is?

Want my advice?

Go get a Mossberg 500 series shotgun, get some 00 buck shot, and show your wife/kids (if they are old enough) how to shoot it by putting the stock on their hip. I'm sure there's a youtube video showing how.

Pump action shotguns are THE defacto home defense weapons. it's tough to miss, they hardly ever jam or misfire, they are inexpensive (around 300) and they will F*CK somebody up.

Your only other option for that scenario is a revolver. Autos can jam....revolvers NEVER do.

I'd recommend a .357...

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately the wife is 4'11 and weighs 110 soaking wet so a Mossberg may be out of the question...she may get a shot off, but

Id have to go scrape her up 3 blocks down the road. I have 2 ten year olds and a 4 year old so they obviously wouldnt be involved even though the 4 year old would prolly take a whack at it. This would be the first gun Ive ever owned. I have fired guns and been around them, but never actually owned one. Just weighing my options. The guy I talked to today told me the Hi Points were a no bells and whistles gun but reliable. Just trying to get all the info I can as I have found out it is a bigger decision than I thought to even have a gun in the house at all.

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately the wife is 4'11 and weighs 110 soaking wet so a Mossberg may be out of the question...she may get a shot off, but

Id have to go scrape her up 3 blocks down the road. I have 2 ten year olds and a 4 year old so they obviously wouldnt be involved even though the 4 year old would prolly take a whack at it. This would be the first gun Ive ever owned. I have fired guns and been around them, but never actually owned one. Just weighing my options. The guy I talked to today told me the Hi Points were a no bells and whistles gun but reliable. Just trying to get all the info I can as I have found out it is a bigger decision than I thought to even have a gun in the house at all.

Understood. Allow me to elaborate.

My grandpa years ago took my grandma out and showed her how to shoot his 12 gauge. She's 4-5 or something ridiculous like that.

She was able to hip shoot it with 2 3/4 inch shells. You'd be surprised how tough people can be when they are on a full adrenaline dump.

Regardless, if you want a rock solid home defense weapon, NOBODY who is worth their salt will ever tell you that a shotgun is a bad choice.

They are a no bullsh1t, no frills home defense weapon.

Again..I would STRONGLY suggest you stay away from ANY automatic if you feel you MUST get a handgun.

There are just WAY too many things that can go wrong.

Read this article. http://www.primermagazine.com/2008/learn/h...or-home-defense

Then google "best home defense weapon".

It sounds like you are doing your homework, and that's the best route. Familiarize yourself and make the best decision based on YOUR situation.

PM if you ever need to ask anything. Also GettNHuge knows his stuff. He's a good source as well.

Also, the resident LEO's on this site are also a great source of info because they have probably seen more than any of us ever will.

PM if you ever need to ask anything. Also GettNHuge knows his stuff. He's a good source as well.

Also, the resident LEO's on this site are also a great source of info because they have probably seen more than any of us ever will.

:rolleyes:

Understood. Allow me to elaborate.

My grandpa years ago took my grandma out and showed her how to shoot his 12 gauge. She's 4-5 or something ridiculous like that.

She was able to hip shoot it with 2 3/4 inch shells. You'd be surprised how tough people can be when they are on a full adrenaline dump.

Regardless, if you want a rock solid home defense weapon, NOBODY who is worth their salt will ever tell you that a shotgun is a bad choice.

They are a no bullsh1t, no frills home defense weapon.

Again..I would STRONGLY suggest you stay away from ANY automatic if you feel you MUST get a handgun.

There are just WAY too many things that can go wrong.

Read this article. http://www.primermagazine.com/2008/learn/h...or-home-defense

Then google "best home defense weapon".

It sounds like you are doing your homework, and that's the best route. Familiarize yourself and make the best decision based on YOUR situation.

I'm with BLS on everything here. Shotgun is the way to go for home defense. It mitigates the aiming substantially. Think, I'm sound asleep, in my underwear, its dark and my eyes are fuzzy. You want the shotgun... Not to mention the sound of a pump action may likely solve 99% of the problem.

I do have a 9mm as well, but again BLS is right.

Give your wife a chance, I think you'll be surprised how well she could handle it, but make sure you get her some lessons.

I'm sure Hi-Points are OK, but I highly suggest spending a little more money to get it right.

Try and miss somebody with this:

http://www.taurus-judge.com/item/72668_Tau...___M410_45.aspx

Mossburg also made a Home Defender .410 pump.

I would tend to go for something less than a 12 guage indoors. You may want to hear again, someday. A .357 revolver is a good choice. If the mrs. can't handle a full house load, you could always take her down to a .38 cartridge in the same gun.

Every notice those ugly revolvers with no hammers? Smith & Wesson makes some. Not having a hammer can help get you off in court if you kill somebody with a "the gun just went off" defense. (If you pulled back the hammer, you intended to shoot somebody.)

I can't argue with the above recommendations, cept I'd lean a bit more towards a smith revolver or glock. Don't just run out

and buy something, though. take someone with you who knows his stuff and can look over the condition of a weapon

and can let you konw if it's a good deal or not. Hopefully that buddy can show you how to clean and take care of it.

most anything you do buy, you can send away or download an owner's manual. that's something I always recommend.

A .357 is a fine weapon. You can practice on the cheap by firing .38 rounds, but when you need it to protect you that bad boy packs a helluva punch with the .357 rounds.....focking thing will crack an engine block. The only knock against it would be that at truly close range (protection range) it will go right through a human body.....leaves a helluva hole on the way out, but wont put your target on the ground in every case. Used at 15-25 yds, its stopping power is absolute.....even someone wearing a vest is the on ground retching for air...

Another close range option could be a .22, which in the right hands is absolutely deadly.....you would find that it often has enough power to penetrate a skull, for instance, but lacks the power to exit, and as a result will scramble the sh!t out of a brain as the round bounces around inside the skull, fun to watch too as they do the funky chicken. :wall:

If you want high-quality, high-power, high-accuracy....go for the Desert Eagle. You pop off a round that that b!tch will drop the site right back on target. Whereas with a .357 you might be all over the place, and after a dozen rounds the top of your wrist starts to hurt, you can fire all day with the DE......a FINE ASS weapon. :P

I asked a couple friends about HiPoint.

positives: cheap, will fire, has warranty

negatives: needs warranty cause they're cheaply made, heavy, spend a little more for a better gun

Try and miss somebody with this:

http://www.taurus-judge.com/item/72668_Tau...___M410_45.aspx

Mossburg also made a Home Defender .410 pump.

I would tend to go for something less than a 12 guage indoors. You may want to hear again, someday. A .357 revolver is a good choice. If the mrs. can't handle a full house load, you could always take her down to a .38 cartridge in the same gun.

Every notice those ugly revolvers with no hammers? Smith & Wesson makes some. Not having a hammer can help get you off in court if you kill somebody with a "the gun just went off" defense. (If you pulled back the hammer, you intended to shoot somebody.)

Thanks for this!!! I have one coming!!

Buy a Taurus 38 special and sleep easy, as I do.

Glock 19 or 26. The missus will be able to handle either one (especially the 26) with no problem (mine can).

Teach her to double-tap. The 9mm doesn't speak with the same authority as a 12 gauge unless you get high powered loads or you hit a vital body part.

Glock 19 or 26. The missus will be able to handle either one (especially the 26) with no problem (mine can).

Teach her to double-tap. The 9mm doesn't speak with the same authority as a 12 gauge unless you get high powered loads or you hit a vital body part.

:cheers: my first agreement with uh-huh in the history of this bored. i also invested in a 26 on nov 5th, 2008.