Sign in to follow this  
GhostofMeanMachine99

Tony Romo is working hard...

To add a little to this thread...I can't remember if I posted this in this thread, or if it was the other Romo thread.

I think this year will be a defining year for Romo to prove whether he's a good quarterback, or a very good to great one. He doesn't have TO, which I would argue is a negative from a production standpoint. However, there also shouldn't be any distraction excuses that came along with that baggage. If Dallas can rely on the run and Romo is able to find/utilize his receivers/tight ends when needed, he'll have proved a little. That is, able to win consistently without a true #1 receiver. IF they get to the playoffs, then he gets another opportunity to show whether he's developed the mental toughness. Then we can drag this up, or maybe it will remain one of the top 15 threads, and people can keep it going.

Who's talking about golf?

I was talking about his commitment to football, and how it may relate to his late season choking and multiple playoff failures.

Again, if his participation in multiple golf tournaments and desire to make the US Open have nothing to do with his shortcomings as a winning QB, then the only other excuse is that he's not that good.

If he is really that good, and his time spent playing golf has nothing to do with his shortcomings, WHAT'S THE FOCKING REASON?

Jeebus.

romo's playoff record: 0-2

peyton's record through 2 playoff games: 0-2

in both games, romo put the team in a position to win. the seattle game, he led a successful last-minute drive, then fumbled the snap. ok, that's 100% on him. of course, dallas playoff chances had been completely written off that season due to bledsoe's ineffectiveness, and it was romo's play that sparked them into the dance, but the final mistake was romo's.

in the giants game, he makes a perfect throw under pressure, hitting a wide open receiver who was in position to score...and who dropped it. later in that drive, another perfectly thrown long ball bounces off the turf because the receiver had quit on the route.

so the eventual SB team, who beat the previously undefeated NE juggernaut, won.

and this somehow means that romo isn't committed to the game?

as i've said many times before, romo will have the "playoff win" monkey on his back until he delivers, just like p manning did. and now manning is going to be a first-ballot HOFer. this makes the people who said than manning was "not that good" look rather foolish.

no one can argue that romo hasn't won. but to speculate on causality based upon suppositions regarding time management is rather silly.

in both games, romo put the team in a position to win. the seattle game, he led a successful last-minute drive, then fumbled the snap. ok, that's 100% on him. of course, dallas playoff chances had been completely written off that season due to bledsoe's ineffectiveness, and it was romo's play that sparked them into the dance, but the final mistake was romo's.

in the giants game, he makes a perfect throw under pressure, hitting a wide open receiver who was in position to score...and who dropped it. later in that drive, another perfectly thrown long ball bounces off the turf because the receiver had quit on the route.

as i've said many times before, romo will have the "playoff win" monkey on his back until he delivers, just like p manning did. and now manning is going to be a first-ballot HOFer. this makes the people who said than manning was "not that good" look rather foolish.

no one can argue that romo hasn't won. but to speculate on causality based upon suppositions regarding time management is rather silly.

I remember you and I went back and forth on this last summer. I think this is his season. With a different type of offense (more run heavy), and less circus-like distractions he'll get his first playoff win. Only thing going against hims is a weak coaching staff, but I think that can be offset by his experience over the past 3 seasons.

If I didn't hate the Cowboys, I'd be tempted to even root for him.

Go away then. I find it funny that a fan for "America's Team", the most popular, overexposed franchise in the NFL...Who's handle btw is "49ers Suck"...can be so butt-hurt by a few negative comments towards his QB.

I'll call you a WHAAAA-mbulance princess.

you might be the biggest doosh on here. and thats saying something.

FYI, joey is a little kids name, might wanna go by joe.

I haven't read this whole thread because I know how things here go. Dallas no playoff wins in 11/12 years, Philly no SB wins period. Cowboys live in the past, Eagles have no past glory to live in, SB wins for Romo and McNabb = 0, and on and on. I will, however, answer your question as a Cowboy fan.

The "six year pro" moniker is a little miss leading because he didn't throw a pass in an NFL game until 2006. Romo went from a nobody to a huge superstar on the highest profile team in the NFL in an instant. For the first time in his life he was the center of attention and he has had some issues dealing with the new demands on his time. Also, he has been in two very different offenses in his three years as a starter. I personally believe he didn't prepare, physically or mentally, in the off season as he should have. His decision making has been suspect but I think part of that comes from not being in the best possibly shape and not knowing the offense as well as he should. As a Cowboy fan I hope that has changed this year, we will have to wait and see. This is a make or break year for Romo. He is going into his 4th year as a starter and has the talent around him to win in the playoffs. Right know he is at the cross roads of becoming the next Cowboys QB to win a SB or becoming the next Danny White.

Thank God for an honest assessment by a fan who is honest.

IMO, the coaching has been the biggest disappointment for this team. Phillips hands off approach it too hands off. Letting your young QB take off right before a playoff game? Horrible decision. Garrett putting too much on Romo's plate? Horrible decision.

As I've said before, I like Romo, and I think he's physically gifted for a QB. But mentally, it doesn't seem like he's completely bought into it. And I don't think it's a bad thing. Given that, though, if you're Garrett, you cannot be putting all your eggs in a basket made of paper, because too many eggs and the bottom's gonna give.

Dallas has a really good defense, Dallas has a very good offensive line and two running backs who are studs. Why is it so hard for Garrett and Phillips to get that, and take the team the route via Bill Parcells?

If Parcells were still there, they'd have maybe won a SB two years ago.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. You really can't have a legitimate arguement using the "what if" strategy. "What if TO could replicate himself against the Packers, so he could throw himself a pass?"

I respect your opinion most of the time, but I completely disagree with your comparison's to Peyton Manning.

Manning was the #1 overall pick for a reason: because Indy was the worst team in the league. It took that team years to turn it around, mainly because the high powered offense needed at least a mediocre defense to help them in the playoffs.

Romo's had everything around him to help him succeed, and he's come up short.

I think it really becomes magnified because Dallas missed the playoffs last year and were crushed in their last game by Philly.

you might be the biggest doosh on here. and thats saying something.

FYI, joey is a little kids name, might wanna go by joe.

:wave:

And if you look one post up, you'll see I had some good words for your boy Tony. That should cheer you up precious. Not everybody is out to get the Cowboys. :lol:

And I always know somebody has nothing on here when they start attacking my handle. Always good for a laugh.

heres the deal, phurf. you are not the reason (for me anyway) Cowboys fans get defensive. it's a handful of obnoxious guys on this bored. and this bored seems to want to operate that way, and thats fine. but when discussions go south this is the reason. when people attack nothing gets done. it turns into a "who can come up with the most witty burn contest".

MOST Cowboys fans know the score. we know what Romo/Wade have or have not done. we pay as much attention as the next guy pays to his team. the problem is, around every corner we're made to feel inferior for being Cowboys fans. when we throw down the cycle continues. i know, wah, wah...........you see, this is the reason why there are better forums out there. threads are ruined on here because a handful of dooshbags pick fights. you can say what you want about certain forums being moderated, but there is A LOT more solid FF/general football discussion goin on. i find myself gravitating to other places for football discussion.

so lets hear it! all you internet toughguy dooshes are gonna say "go away then. this bored wont miss you. etc." i've heard it all before.

I'll always remember this estrogen-laden rant. Thank you 49ers_Suck!!! :thumbsdown:

Man, that 44-6 game has had way too many months to fester.

The Cowboys need to win a preseason game or something to get the taste out of their fans' mouths. They come out especially bitter and angry this season. This could be an especially fun year. :doublethumbsup:

For me, this topic and the previous post about the same thing from a month or 2 ago has become much more about Romo making a mockery of serious amatuer golf than it is about his dedication (or lack of) to football.

I can't make a serious case for playing golf and trying to qualify for events as something wrong for an athlete to do in the offseason when we have guys killing pedestrians while drunk driving, fighting dogs, beating their wives and so on.

If Tony was spending every day practicing golf and his top priority was making a US Open or other PGA event, then that would be stupid and he obviously isn't concentrating on football.... Guess what? thats also what he would have to do for me to think his attempts to qualify for these serious golf events is warranted. If he isn't giving it his full attention, its a slap in the face to club pro's and amatuer aspiring golfers everywhere who prepare for years to try and qualify for these events.

Its obvious that he is not giving it his all, so at that point I would suggest sticking to country club play if Golf is simply a hobby.

Thank God for an honest assessment by a fan who is honest.

IMO, the coaching has been the biggest disappointment for this team. Phillips hands off approach it too hands off. Letting your young QB take off right before a playoff game? Horrible decision. Garrett putting too much on Romo's plate? Horrible decision.

As I've said before, I like Romo, and I think he's physically gifted for a QB. But mentally, it doesn't seem like he's completely bought into it. And I don't think it's a bad thing. Given that, though, if you're Garrett, you cannot be putting all your eggs in a basket made of paper, because too many eggs and the bottom's gonna give.

Dallas has a really good defense, Dallas has a very good offensive line and two running backs who are studs. Why is it so hard for Garrett and Phillips to get that, and take the team the route via Bill Parcells?

If Parcells were still there, they'd have maybe won a SB two years ago.

The coaching has been a failure but that was a given with Phillips as Head Coach.

I agree with the Parcells comment. I also think if Andy Reid had taken a Parcells approach over the last 8/9 years Philly would have 2 or 3 SB vicotries.

I think it really becomes magnified because Dallas missed the playoffs last year and were crushed in their last game by Philly.

i think you're absolutely right about this.

my argument is not with romo's record, which can't be argued at all--the guy has not produced in the playoffs. where we disagree is on interpolating the reason for this as being his "commitment to the game". remember, for 3+ of his 6 year career, he got almost no practice reps at all. as a former player, you understand the vital importance of reps WRT learning to execute a scheme, rather than simply drawing it up on a chalkboard. so while he might have had a good "god's eye" view of the offense, his field level understanding of it would be far behind a guy like manning, who got virtually every rep for his first two years in the league. so the manning example is double-edged.

regarding romo "having everything", this was certainly the case in the 13-3 year. but his takeover season, the cowboys were ranked somewhere in the lower middle of the league in talent. last year's injuries (11 starters missing significant time) didn't excuse the cowboys from losing--injuries are part of the game, and affect every team. but this seems to affect the team in a way that romo's "commitment to the game" doesn't really touch. remember, in the games against pittsburgh and the ravens, the defense simply broke down at critical times. the depleted dallas offense moved the ball against the top ranked defenses in the league. again, this doesn't excuse a team loss, but it doesn't have much to do with romo's golf game, either.

i have never disagreed with you regarding romo's lack of production in the playoffs. only the gossip-driven assertion that it is commitment which is lacking.

I remember you and I went back and forth on this last summer. I think this is his season. With a different type of offense (more run heavy), and less circus-like distractions he'll get his first playoff win. Only thing going against hims is a weak coaching staff, but I think that can be offset by his experience over the past 3 seasons.

If I didn't hate the Cowboys, I'd be tempted to even root for him.

yeah--we went at it pretty good. this is certainly a significant year for romo. champions are formed in adversity. he's finally had adversity--we'll see how he responds.

The coaching has been a failure but that was a given with Phillips as Head Coach.

I agree with the Parcells comment. I also think if Andy Reid had taken a Parcells approach over the last 8/9 years Philly would have 2 or 3 SB vicotries.

Fair comment. It is interesting that comparing Romo and Phillips to McNabb and Reid is probably a pretty fair comparison. Overall, I think Philadelphia has had more playoff success because Reid is respected by his players more than Phillips is, McNabb has been in the same system his whole career, and knows it very well, and the Philadelphia defense has had more leaders (Vincent, Trotter, Dawkins) and a great coordinator (Jim Johnson).

Like I said in an earlier post, usually teams that win super bowls have a QB or Coach who hate to lose driving them. I don't think that any of the 4 people mentioned hate to lose enough.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. You really can't have a legitimate arguement using the "what if" strategy. "What if TO could replicate himself against the Packers, so he could throw himself a pass?"

I respect your opinion most of the time, but I completely disagree with your comparison's to Peyton Manning.

Manning was the #1 overall pick for a reason: because Indy was the worst team in the league. It took that team years to turn it around, mainly because the high powered offense needed at least a mediocre defense to help them in the playoffs.

Romo's had everything around him to help him succeed, and he's come up short.

No trust me - I grew up a Peyton Manning fan, followed him through college, and into the NFL. And he got the same sh!t from people like these (not necessarily you) that Romo is getting now.

Manning's rookie season - he had a QB rating of 71.2, throwing for 28 INTs. He certainly improved over the next few years, but certainly wasn't the superstar he was now, as he threw for 15, 15, 23, and 19 INTs the next 4 years. In Peyton's rookie year, they went 3-13. In his next season, they went 13-3 but lost in the playoffs as the favorites. Then they go 10-6 and lose in the playoffs, then they go 6-10 and miss the playoffs. The Colts didn't win a playoff game with Peyton until 2003, his 6th NFL season, and believe me, people didn't have nice things to say. Sure a lot of the blame fell on the coaches or the DEF, but people had written off Manning as the next gun-slinging QB who couldn't win when it mattered, much like they have with Romo. Now i'm not saying Romo will become Peyton Manning...but so many people write players off until they win a SuperBowl, and every game they lose before that is blamed on them, which is absolutely ridiculous. As someone pointed out, sure Romo boched the extra point, but he carried the team to that point, and was nowhere near the reason why the Cowboys lost to the Giants 2 years ago.

But because he plays golf and hasn't won a Superbowl in 3 years, he's a non-dedicated, lazy, media-distracted, losing QB. :lol:

No trust me - I grew up a Peyton Manning fan, followed him through college, and into the NFL. And he got the same sh!t from people like these (not necessarily you) that Romo is getting now.

Manning's rookie season - he had a QB rating of 71.2, throwing for 28 INTs. He certainly improved over the next few years, but certainly wasn't the superstar he was now, as he threw for 15, 15, 23, and 19 INTs the next 4 years. In Peyton's rookie year, they went 3-13. In his next season, they went 13-3 but lost in the playoffs as the favorites. Then they go 10-6 and lose in the playoffs, then they go 6-10 and miss the playoffs. The Colts didn't win a playoff game with Peyton until 2003, his 6th NFL season, and believe me, people didn't have nice things to say. Sure a lot of the blame fell on the coaches or the DEF, but people had written off Manning as the next gun-slinging QB who couldn't win when it mattered, much like they have with Romo. Now i'm not saying Romo will become Peyton Manning...but so many people write players off until they win a SuperBowl, and every game they lose before that is blamed on them, which is absolutely ridiculous. As someone pointed out, sure Romo boched the extra point, but he carried the team to that point, and was nowhere near the reason why the Cowboys lost to the Giants 2 years ago.

But because he plays golf and hasn't won a Superbowl in 3 years, he's a non-dedicated, lazy, media-distracted, losing QB. :lol:

Would you agree with my contention that Peyton Manning is one of the top quarterbacks because he "hates to lose" and this pushes him to his highest potential?

If so, did he always have that mindset, or did you see him develop that over his NFL career?

I think it is relevent to Romo because I don't think he has that yet. That does not mean he is a bad quarterback or doesn't work hard. That means he may need to get that attitude since his coach doesn't have it, and as of yet, no one on the defense has shown it. Without someone having it, I think the Cowboys playoff record will continue in the same trend it has, despite the talent they have on that team.

Would you agree with my contention that Peyton Manning is one of the top quarterbacks because he "hates to lose" and this pushes him to his highest potential?

If so, did he always have that mindset, or did you see him develop that over his NFL career?

I think it is relevent to Romo because I don't think he has that yet. That does not mean he is a bad quarterback or doesn't work hard. That means he may need to get that attitude since his coach doesn't have it, and as of yet, no one on the defense has shown it. Without someone having it, I think the Cowboys playoff record will continue in the same trend it has, despite the talent they have on that team.

The problem with having the "hate to lose" mindset is that no matter how hard you work, there's 21 other starters on the team that need the same mindset to bring it all together. You also need good/great coaching.

I know I brought up the Marino example as well in one of these Romo threads. I don't know whether there was much more he could have done, but I'm fairly certain he hated losing.

This sort of brings up another question though...Could it be that once a team has a taste of winning in the playoffs that they develop the mindset of hating to lose? After you win, you may develop the expectation of winning and no longer accept losing as an option.

Just my $.02

The problem with having the "hate to lose" mindset is that no matter how hard you work, there's 21 other starters on the team that need the same mindset to bring it all together. You also need good/great coaching.

I know I brought up the Marino example as well in one of these Romo threads. I don't know whether there was much more he could have done, but I'm fairly certain he hated losing.

This sort of brings up another question though...Could it be that once a team has a taste of winning in the playoffs that they develop the mindset of hating to lose? After you win, you may develop the expectation of winning and no longer accept losing as an option.

Just my $.02

I agree 100% about Marino. He did hate to lose, but overall, he didn't have enough talent around him for the Dolphins to win consistently in the playoffs.

I also think you're probably right that a team winning in the playoffs feeds off that and it makes it easier to win in the future.

I think Romo has enough talent around him now to win. Whether he can develop as a leader who makes the players around him play better is still an open question. As I have said before, I don't think he is getting any leadership help from the head coach position.

This kind of follows your thoughts.

I feel a big problems in Dallas was that all the players felt very secure in their different roles on the team. It didn't help that 2 years ago 13 of them were named to the pro-bowl. I think this off season may have changed this. Getting rid of a number of players, especially TO, sends a message that no one is safe and the team is bigger than any one player.

I feel a big problems in Dallas was that all the players felt very secure in their different roles on the team. It didn't help that 2 years ago 13 of them were named to the pro-bowl. I think this off season may have changed this. Getting rid of a number of players, especially TO, sends a message that no one is safe and the team is bigger than any one player.

Agreed. Good Point.

Completely agree with everything you said.

And that is why if Dallas wises up on the coaching end, plays to the team's strengths, they will do well this season.

Romo's good enough to manage an offensive gameplan, but clearly he's not the guy to put the offense on his back. He can do it, but he cannot do it over an extended period (ala Donovan McNabb).

The guy who scares the living sh!t out of me this year is Felix Jones.

4 pages of random football fans that are pysco-analyzing Tony Romo as if they know what they are talking about. You are guessing at somebody's state of mind for petes sake. It's laughable and a waste of everyone's time. The sooner you realize what you are spouting is guesswork hogwash the better off we will all be. HTH

4 pages of random football fans that are pysco-analyzing Tony Romo as if they know what they are talking about. You are guessing at somebody's state of mind for petes sake. It's laughable and a waste of everyone's time. The sooner you realize what you are spouting is guesswork hogwash the better off we will all be. HTH

Hey, before training camps start it's really slow. Not much going on other then the usual Favre waffling.

random football fans that are pysco-analyzing players as if they know what they are talking about. You are guessing at somebody's state of mind for petes sake. It's laughable and a waste of everyone's time. The sooner you realize what you are spouting is guesswork hogwash the better off we will all be. HTH

I would venture this is the very definition of fantasy football.

Hmmm.... Football fans talking about football on a football website....who'd have thought?!

I find it interesting that as a starter Romo has a 22-4 record from September to November, and yet in December and the Playoffs he is 5-10 as a starter. Is it him? Is it the team around him? Is it the coaching? is it none of the above? Feel free to enlighten us with your football acumen.

No, I do not know the state of Tony Romo's mind. But the fact that he has had two celebrity girlfriends, took a vacation the week before a playoff game, and tried to qualify for the U.S. open without really practicing (his own admission) gives us some indication of what is important to him. If you think we are wasting our time talking about this, then feel free not to open this thread.

And because I can hear your reply already, I am not being critical of Romo playing golf or doing something other than football in the offseason.

You haven't been keeping up. It is pretty apparent that most posters don't feel Romo is not the problem in Dallas but there are many factors. Dallas has a number of good fantasy players so speculation on the team’s success can be beneficial.

Do you realize that most of what we do in FF is guesswork?

Hmmm.... Football fans talking about football on a football website....who'd have thought?!

I find it interesting that as a starter Romo has a 22-4 record from September to November, and yet in December and the Playoffs he is 5-10 as a starter. Is it him? Is it the team around him? Is it the coaching? is it none of the above? Feel free to enlighten us with your football acumen.

No, I do not know the state of Tony Romo's mind. But the fact that he has had two celebrity girlfriends, took a vacation the week before a playoff game, and tried to qualify for the U.S. open without really practicing (his own admission) gives us some indication of what is important to him. If you think we are wasting our time talking about this, then feel free not to open this thread.

And because I can hear your reply already, I am not being critical of Romo playing golf or doing something other than football in the offseason.

I like this post. My hatred for Romo has evolved into more of a fascination. One of my favorite plots for this upcoming season is Romo's progress as a QB, especially with the changes to his team in the offseason.

My .02 on the items bolded above...

He has a lot of money, he actually can date celebrity woman, he's young, and he doesn't have the desire to put the time/effort some people would like to see him put into football to be a great QB.

Or, maybe he just plays one of the more difficult positions in sports and other teams have just been better than him and his team when it gets to December/January

Or, maybe he just cracks under pressure. Maybe he can't handle it.

Or, maybe he realizes life is too short and football isn't everything. He wants to have fun and enjoy his youth. Who the hell knows?

Tony Romo probably doesn't even have the correct answers to the questions we pose.

I like this post. My hatred for Romo has evolved into more of a fascination. One of my favorite plots for this upcoming season is Romo's progress as a QB, especially with the changes to his team in the offseason.

Just curious, I've read your posts and as such know that you are a Seahawk fan, nothing wrong with that. I dont understand though, why do you hate Romo? I kinda understand the Redskin, Eagle and Giant fans hating him based on rivalry and such.

Why so much hate for a guy on a team not in your division? just curious.

Just curious, I've read your posts and as such know that you are a Seahawk fan, nothing wrong with that. I dont understand though, why do you hate Romo? I kinda understand the Redskin, Eagle and Giant fans hating him based on rivalry and such.

Why so much hate for a guy on a team not in your division? just curious.

I don't really hate him anymore. I don't know what exactly it was... his immediate pop-culture celebrity, that stupid, dimply grin he's always flashing, all the hot ass he was tapping. I used to hate Aikman too....and I've actually grown to enjoy his color-commentary (I despise Buck though).

He does seem like a pretty good guy though. Taking that bum to the movies was a cool story, even though I'm sure I made fun of him for it. He's taken his lumps, dealt with the mandatory TO/QB drama, been beaten down by the media. I'd like to see him prove himself to the doubters. I love redemption stories.

I don't really hate him anymore. I don't know what exactly it was... his immediate pop-culture celebrity, that stupid, dimply grin he's always flashing, all the hot ass he was tapping. I used to hate Aikman too....and I've actually grown to enjoy his color-commentary (I despise Buck though).

He does seem like a pretty good guy though. Taking that bum to the movies was a cool story, even though I'm sure I made fun of him for it. He's taken his lumps, dealt with the mandatory TO/QB drama, been beaten down by the media. I'd like to see him prove himself to the doubters. I love redemption stories.

fair enough :doublethumbsup: .

most of what we do here is spouting off guesswork? :doublethumbsup: HTH

:overhead:

as an NFL QB Romo has everything to prove. he's not even in Danny White territory yet. BUT, imo, he's a good guy and role model for kids. versus, say mike vick or pacman jones.

The sooner you realize what you are spouting is guesswork hogwash the better off we will all be.

:music_guitarred:

Brilliant statement KSB. Are you telling me that most of this stuff is based on actual hard-proof? You must absolutely rule your fantasy league.

You're delusional.

The thread was started because his commitment to his profession was called into question because the dude plays alot of golf. And not just plays alot of golf, but plays all over the country. And right before camp starts.

No one questioned what he was thinking, just judging him on his actions. He takes a weekend away right before a playoff game, he annually sputters at end of each and every season.

Cannot dispute his actions. The question that I brought up was 'is the guy committed to his profession, and does his off-season habits have any effect or relation to his crappy play at the end of every season?

I don't seem to recall ANYONE on this thread saying they hated Romo. However, the only ones throwing around hate are the Dallas homers arguing on behalf of Romo, saying everyone is just hatin' on poor Tony.

Only a few real Dallas football fans answered the question, and readily admitted that it may have an affect because some have questioned if he's in shape at the end of every season.

So if your only comments here are to comment on everyone else chiming in, to criticize, who's really the one 'spouting guesswork and hogwash'? :music_guitarred:

:music_guitarred: