Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The midseason Tight End thread

Most leagues play a mandatory TE spot. A spot often overlooked. So let's re-rank them going forward. Now that bye weeks are happening the TE2 comes into play. Some might own two top 10 TE's and could use one as trade bait. So lets rank em.

1. Dallas Clark - Manning is looking his way alot.

2. Tony Gonzalez - Looks like Tony G hasn't lost a step.

3. Antonio Gates - Major factor on a good offense.

4. Jason Witten - Will get plenty of looks

5. Owen Daniels - When will people give him his due?

6. Heath Miller - Quietly having a great year

7. Vernon Davis - Yup. I said it. Vernon has bought in to Singletery's system. Hell he's a captain. Look out.

8. Kellen Winslow - Bad attitude. Outstading skills and talent. Bad team/QB. This puts him in the middle of the pack.

9. Greg Olsen - slow start, but seems to be now jelling with Cutler. Have you seen their pass defense schedule?

10.Brent Celek - I like him, but not buying quite yet.

11.Chris Cooley - see Winslow. Great talent on a hopelss offense.

12.Vincent Shiancoe - Favre loves those TE's in the redzone. Always has. The new Bubba Franks.

13.John Carlson - so far a minor bust. But Hassleback looks his way and now that he is back I look for a rebound.

14.Zach Miller - Russell finds him. And that's saying a lot.

15.Jeremy Shockey- Could be ranked higher. I'm not a believer. Prolly biased.

16.Todd Heap - meh. so-so

17.Jermichael Finly - GB has a stellar passing game

18. Tony Scheffler - looked good last week.

19. Dustin Keller - Bust so far. Edwards trade hurt his value as a redzone target.

20. Ben Watson / Anthony Fasano (tie) - Hit or miss

other than dallas clark, i don't think you can count on any of those guys putting up wr type numbers every single week. maybe gates, but even he's been inconsistent.

other than dallas clark, i don't think you can count on any of those guys putting up wr type numbers every single week. maybe gates, but even he's been inconsistent.

He has'nt been quite Dallas Clark but Gates has been super-consistent. He's had atleast 5 rec. 64 yards in every game this year, not many WR's are giving that kinda consistency.Not scoring the TD's is a bit concerning but they will come, he could have had 1 last week but Rivers chose to give it to V-Jax who was also open.

I would rank them:

1) Dallas Clark

2) Antonio Gates

3) Jason Witten

4) Tony Gonzalez

5) Owen Daniels

6) Kellen Winslow

7) Heath Miller

8) Chris Cooley

9) Vernon Davis

10) Greg Olsen

I think you both have Witten too high

Maybe you are right. But answer me this. If you owned Winslow or Cooley or Olsen as your TE and a trade offer came in giving you Jason Witten for your TE. Would you accept?

I think you both have Witten too high - this isn't 2008.

Possibly but it's only 5 weeks into his season and he is'nt lagging that far behind the top guys even with the slow start. He's the #1 option on a fairly good Offense so he will get his looks, not many TE's can say that. A couple of big games and he will be right back in the mix for top billing.

One other thing, If Miles Austin can come in and stretch the defense that will only help Witten. We'll see how that pans out but there is definite reason to expect an upswing in production.

Maybe you are right. But answer me this. If you owned Winslow or Cooley or Olsen as your TE and a trade offer came in giving you Jason Witten for your TE. Would you accept?

If I owned Winslow, yeah I'd take that deal. But the other two are pretty similar in value right now. I thought I heard somewhere that Dallas has the toughest schedule for the remainder of the season. Considering how they've looked so far, that doesn't bode well for Witten.....or any other Cowboy for that matter. And I think that Witten has 0 catches in the redzone so far. WTF?

Obviously the talent is there. And maybe the 'Boys fixed some things over the bye, but at some point you have to look at what's transpired so far this year and accept it just might be a down year for #82.

From that list though, I'd feel really good if I owned Clark/Gates/Gonzo/Miller/Daniels. Everyone else is pretty much the same to me.

Most leagues play a mandatory TE spot. A spot often overlooked. So let's re-rank them going forward. Now that bye weeks are happening the TE2 comes into play. Some might own two top 10 TE's and could use one as trade bait. So lets rank em.

1. Dallas Clark - Manning is looking his way alot.

2. Tony Gonzalez - Looks like Tony G hasn't lost a step.

3. Antonio Gates - Major factor on a good offense.

4. Jason Witten - Will get plenty of looks

5. Owen Daniels - When will people give him his due?

6. Heath Miller - Quietly having a great year

7. Vernon Davis - Yup. I said it. Vernon has bought in to Singletery's system. Hell he's a captain. Look out.

8. Kellen Winslow - Bad attitude. Outstading skills and talent. Bad team/QB. This puts him in the middle of the pack.

9. Greg Olsen - slow start, but seems to be now jelling with Cutler. Have you seen their pass defense schedule?

10.Brent Celek - I like him, but not buying quite yet.

11.Chris Cooley - see Winslow. Great talent on a hopelss offense.

12.Vincent Shiancoe - Favre loves those TE's in the redzone. Always has. The new Bubba Franks.

13.John Carlson - so far a minor bust. But Hassleback looks his way and now that he is back I look for a rebound.

14.Zach Miller - Russell finds him. And that's saying a lot.

15.Jeremy Shockey- Could be ranked higher. I'm not a believer. Prolly biased.

16.Todd Heap - meh. so-so

17.Jermichael Finly - GB has a stellar passing game

18. Tony Scheffler - looked good last week.

19. Dustin Keller - Bust so far. Edwards trade hurt his value as a redzone target.

20. Ben Watson / Anthony Fasano (tie) - Hit or miss

Great Topic. I'm looking to acquire another TE as Carlson isn't doing the job. Any ideas of what the value would be for a mid range TE? Got very good WR Depth that I'm looking to move.

Great Topic. I'm looking to acquire another TE as Carlson isn't doing the job. Any ideas of what the value would be for a mid range TE? Got very good WR Depth that I'm looking to move.

I would look into acquiring Heath Miller or Celek for cheap. Both those guys were probably drafted as TE2, so their owners might have another TE, albeit one who isn't performing as well as Miller or Celek. I think if you packaged Carlson and a decent WR3 (Manningham/Mason/Breaston) you could get either one.

I'm an Olsen owner in need of an upgrade at WR2. I'd easily part with him for a Bowe/DeJax/Driver type of player just to give you an idea of another owner's perspective.

In a PPR celek is def a top 5 TE. He's on a pass happy offense and he gets it done each and every week. He's been consistent every week to get 10+pts a game. Ceiling is way high on this guy

As of now I would take celek over witten olsen winslow and vernon davis

In a PPR celek is def a top 5 TE. He's on a pass happy offense and he gets it done each and every week. He's been consistent every week to get 10+pts a game. Ceiling is way high on this guy

A guy named EAGLESfreak is high on Celek. You don't say. :banana:

X2.

Celek is Philly's leading receiver with 30 receptions. McNabb may be back but he's still getting the love. Celek should be up there in top 5 let alone top 10.

I would just like to say that in my 3 PPR leagues, I have Heath Miller in 2 and Owen Daniels in 1. These guys are flying under the radar a bit too much considering how strong their numbers are just about every week. :banana:

an opinion coming from a 4 time Fantasy Football Champion :banana:

on a board with people who play in several leagues each year, im sure 4 championships means alot.

Big Eagles fan here. I like Celek a lot. In ppr leagues I agree he has good value. Just remember that his stats are slightly different with McNabb at QB than Kolb. McNabb spreads the ball around more (or gets pressured and can't find anyone like last week).

Celek with McNabb

3 games- 14 receptions, 170 yards, 1 TD- 12.34 fantasy points per game in ppr leagues

Celek with Kolb

2 games- 16 receptions, 208 yards, 1 TD- 21.40 fantasy points per game in ppr leagues

I'd say Celek is still solid and a top 10 option in ppr leagues, but i think top 5 may be a little high.

I'd prefer Clark, Gates, Witten, Daniels, Miller, Gonzalez id say. I'd slot Celek in the 7-10 range. Still a TE1 though. Just my opinion.

I have both witten and shiancoe in my main league, and very unsure about Witten right now. Shiancoe is getting targeted a lot in the redzone as of last week.

Anyone care to take a swing at why witten will turn it around?

I don't think Shockey should be rated as low as you have him. You acknowledge you might be biased, and that's fine, but he's getting consistent looks in one of the best offenses in the NFL. He's had reception totals in eash game of 4, 4, 6, 4, and 4. The TDs come sporadically, and the yardage isn't excellent, but as the season progresses, I think he's actually going to get more looks as defenses start figuring out how to clamp down on the vertical passing game of the Saints. Two of the next three Saints matchups are pretty tough on WRs as well.

JMO.

I would definitely rank Owen Daniels 2nd or 3rd for this season. The Texans have a hard time running the ball

which helps Daniels in that they throw a lot. Slaton is a good receiver out of the backfield, so that ties up a defender. Andre Johnson is a great receiver and is probably demanding a lot of double coverage. All this means is that Daniels will continue

to get lots of looks, he has great hands and can run after the catch. He also is good at finding the seam in the zone, and Schaub likes to throw to him.

In addition, The Texans defense has a hard time keeping the opponent from scoring, so that keeps the offense having to score for almost the whole game.

Do we like Celek better than Carlson here on out? Celek hasn't done much these last two weeks.

I am trying to trade Celek and Jennings to the Fitz owner...I doubt he bites.

I would definitely rank Owen Daniels 2nd or 3rd for this season. The Texans have a hard time running the ball

which helps Daniels in that they throw a lot. Slaton is a good receiver out of the backfield, so that ties up a defender. Andre Johnson is a great receiver and is probably demanding a lot of double coverage. All this means is that Daniels will continue

to get lots of looks, he has great hands and can run after the catch. He also is good at finding the seam in the zone, and Schaub likes to throw to him.

In addition, The Texans defense has a hard time keeping the opponent from scoring, so that keeps the offense having to score for almost the whole game.

plus schaub has always been big on throwing to te's. he threw to heath miller in college

I am trying to trade Celek and Jennings to the Fitz owner...I doubt he bites.

What about Fred Davis now? looked good last night and as a cooley owner I am trying to find something for the rest of the year. Heap, Scheffler, Miller, Davis, Watson, are all available. I'm leaning towards Scheffler, Heap or Davis right now.

I dropped Daniels for Celek after wk 4 b/c Celek had already had his bye-week and the Eagles were facing the Bucs in week 5 which was a must-win game for me at 1-3. I "assumed" the TEs were about equal and so gave the edge to Celek b/c of those 2 reasons. Boy did I get burned by that move.

Daniels is #1 in my standard scoring league. this guy is a monster.... saved me the past 2 weeks. This guy has been a receiving machine for the past few years, just didn't get the TDs to get noticed. I'm glad he's getting them now.

My top 5 by years end

1. Clark

2. Daniels

3. Gates

4. Gonzo

5. Witten

As of right now I'd rank the top 10 like this:

1. Clark - Option 1b on a team with Manning. Enough said.

2. Gates - Still the most talented guy out there. TD's should come.

3. Daniels - Always liked him. Historically more of a yardage guy. Now that he's scoring TD's watch out.

4. Davis - Has the light finally turned on? Talent never a question. 11.92 ppg is tops among TE's. Alex Smith starting should help.

5. Gonzo - Ageless wonder. One of the greats.

6. Witten - Will Miles Austin's emergence get him going? Jury is still out.

7. Miller - Benefitting from the Steelers new pass-first offense.

8. Shockey - Prolific offernse. Could be feast or famine since there's so many mouths to feed in NO.

9. Celek - Over half his fantasy points came in Weeks 2 and 3 with Kolb. Will McRib get him the ball? Pass first offense (and second and third for that matter :thumbsdown:).

10. Winslow - Good player on a really bad team.

I think you both have Witten too high - this isn't 2008.

Witten is FOCKING AWFUL this year.

Olsen sucks. I don't know why I drafted him.

I love Vernon Davis!

Brent Celek sucks with McNasty. I wish Kevin Kolb was throwing to him again. :)

I have Celek, but Vernon Davis has been dropped and is available (still has to clear waivers). Debating on dropping Celek for Davis after/if he clears waivers, i don't want to drop in WW priority to get him i don't think.

I picked up Shockey for Knox and Keller. Nothing great, but I had the WR depth and Shockey is an improvement over Keller. (I actually read Keller, not Carlson, in your post, but I thought the input wasn't bad!)

Daniels and Clark are the top 2.

VDavis is just behind those two.

I'm hoping the other Miller, Zach, can get a lot of looks in 2nd half.

I lost Cooley this week so I'm looking to trade for Witten. Is Lynch for Witten too much? I've got Rice, MJD and C. Johnson ahead of Lynch at RB.

I lost Cooley this week so I'm looking to trade for Witten. Is Lynch for Witten too much? I've got Rice, MJD and C. Johnson ahead of Lynch at RB.

If you only need 2 RBs, you don't need Lynch, but beware - Witten hasn't done anything this year. Unless Austin opens things up for him, this 2009 Witten stinks. I'm content with Zach Miller over him.

I have Celek, but Vernon Davis has been dropped and is available (still has to clear waivers). Debating on dropping Celek for Davis after/if he clears waivers, i don't want to drop in WW priority to get him i don't think.

HUH? someone dropped Davis after what he did last week?