Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

***Official Week 17 Eagles vs. Cowboys thread***

It would be a way better game if it meant a playoff spot and not just positioning, but it still should be an interesting game. There's a chance they'll be playing each other a third time a few weeks later.

The Eagles are playing great right now. They've won 6 in a row and McNabb is playing terrific. They have the most offensive weapons in the lague. On the negative side, they have trouble holding on to early big leads. They've been fortunate that they've remained on the winning side lately, but scores are always ending up too close. That'll kill them in the playoffs.

Dallas is playing well, also. Both teams are peaking at the right time.

Philly lost to Dallas at home earlier in the year, so that would suggest it will be even tougher on the road. The loss of center Jamaal Jackson is a bad injury. I would have rather they lost Desean Jackson. Throwing a backup center in their against an Pro Bowl caliber nose tackle is a recipe for disaster. On the bright side, Brian Westbrook returned yesterday, and even though he didn't look to have all of his burst, he seemed to be healthy.

If I wasn't an Eagles' fan, I might pick Dallas in a close one, based on home field advantage.

As it stands, I like Philly to come through.....

Eagles 24 Dallas 20.

It's on! It's on! It's on! It's on! It's on! It's on! And it ain't gonna be no 44-6 this year!! This should be a great game with BIG D coming out on top to win the division! Lets go boys!!! lets go!!!

How's McNab's hammy? Ware, Rat and Spencer are glad they won't have to chase him as far after blowing past your oline.

Dallas 38 Philly 24

Well....this game suddenly took on a bit more meaning. :(

If both teams show up this could be the game of the regular season. Not only the division, but a possible bye week.

Good luck Newbie - as you probably know, I'm a diehard Colts fan...but my 2nd team is the Cowboys as my dad has been a life-long fan (he actually broke his hand because of a Cowboys loss in the late 80's b/c he was so pissed). I almost root for the cowboys just because I want my dad to be happy...

Anyways - good analysis of the game, these are 2 of the hottest teams in the league, and Romo is playing the best ball of his career. I think the loss of Jackson is huge, and I think the Cowboys front 4/7 have their way with the eagles.

Should be a great game though, one for the ages i'm hoping.

But here's to a 27-20 win for the Cowboys :(

As much as i like McNabb as a QB, his accuracy when he throws a heater is all over the place. He's one of the best at the long ball and he certainly has two explosive weapons, but when he tries to gun it into a window on a 15 yard post pattern, it seems like more often than not it lands at the WR's feet or over his head. I think the key is going to prevent the deep passes. If they don't complete any passes (not including YAC) over 25 yards, i think the cowboys will take this game. I just don't see the eagles consistently driving down the field with 15 play drives. Granted, it seems like the eagles are a lock to get at least one 50 yard bomb every game, but the cowboys defense has been on fire.

Also, dallas can not let special teams kill them. Last year their special teams was brutal, but they are much improved this year. But even as they have improved, they have given up some back breaking returns.

Keys to the game in my eyes

Cowboys blitz pick up. The o-line is hurt, adams loves donating to the NFL, and they don't have the power to maul dlines.

Edge- Eagles

Special teams. Can't allow a big return. The chance of desean breaking a long one is almost as good of him not breaking one.

Edge - Even

Running game - Marion barber can't get one yard to save his life. I read he's 2 for 7 in his last 7 attempts on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or less yards needed. This follows a streak where he was 10 for 11. The cowboys are really focusing on this problem during the week of practice so maybe they can fix it. But besides short yardage situations, they're running game has been solid.

Edge - Slight edge to the cowboys

Containing mcnabb - Mcnabb owns the boys. He's the guy i hate facing the most. If his hammy wasn't hurt, i'd give him the edge, but since he's hurt ima say

Edge - even

Preventing the big play - This is most important key to the game. Mcnabb has the confidence to go deep. He has two guys who love to go after it.

Edge - Eagles

This is a hard game to predict. I'm gonna go with the cowboys winning 27-24.

Romo - 23/37 280 yds, 2 tds, 1 int

Player of the game - D Ware 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 4 hurries, 1 FF. Makes mcnabb wish he had a healthy hamsting.

keys to the game for dallas:

1. be aggressive but clearheaded. it's a fine line to ride, but the cowboys cannot let emotion get the better of them.

2. controlled pass rush. dallas has been undisciplined in lane control lately, allowing QBs to step up. this is suicide against mcnabb.

3. control the misdirection. the eagles are going to be gameplanning their counter/screen/draw package, as well as TE action, more than usual. if they are successful in this, dallas is in for a long day.

4. consistent 1st down productivity. i rate this ahead of big plays for this matchup.

5. spread the ball around in the passing game. everyone needs to contribute, including guys like felix and crayton. if half the passing yds go to one guy, the cowboys are in trouble.

Huge game for the Eagles now that the Vikings lost. These 2 teams are pretty evenly matched and it should be a very good game. Here's to hoping it ends like the last reg. season games between these 2 teams the last 3 years...with an Eagles victory! E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES! :bandana:

This is going to be a very physical game....... I agree Philly has several offenseive weeapons/threats. The most in the league? Eh, wouldn't say that. SD is loaded, across the board and just as explosive - if not more, not to mention NO. Even still, the Eagles rank behind Dallas in 3 key offensive catagories: passing yards, rushing yards, and total yards per game. They do rank higher in points scored per game......That being said, this game is going to hinge on several factors.

* Terrance Newman - my bigget worry and fear. He has been torched and beat all year long. The guy can't play heads up anymore, and even when he plays off 7 yards he seems to get burned. Either way, he is going to draw one of Philly's burners and I just cross my fingers he gets some help.

* Dallas front 7 - playing as well as anybody's in the league. Spencer, Ware, and Ratliff are pure hell on offenses right now. These guys combined and were largely responsible for making D. Brees (at home) go 1 for 8 on third down conversions. If Philly doesn't get these guys blocked - going to be long day for #5.

* Speaking of - McNabb and his hammy. For what seems like forever, McNabb has killed us with his feet. Can't tell you how many times we seem to have him for a loss, then he steps up, gets away, and makes a huge play. If he is gimpy, can't run, and is forced to stay in the pocket - could be trouble.

* Running the ball - we should be able to do this effectively I think. Not rocket science - we run the ball, we keep McNabb and those playmakers off the field.

* Blitz pick up - nobody brings the house better than Philly. We finally had some success against it in our 1st meeting this year. If w/Romo is to have any chance at all - our big guys up front have to play solid.

* Romo - must just keep doing what he's been doing, protect the ball. If you have to eat it and take a sack, fine - just don't throw it in the air.

* 3rd down conversions - up till the NO game, we gave up damn near every 3rd and long we faced it seemed. Philly is going to (just like always) throw the screens and underneath quick stuff - we have to find a way to not get lost in traffic and pick that stuff up out of the backfield. Philly has always been able to get huge chunks of yardage on us just off simple dump passes to Westy or whomever.

It's no secret, Philly has had our number for a number of years. And even though they'd never admit it, I think our guys let it intimidate them some. I really believe the big road win earlier in the year against a full strengthend Eagles team turned the tide. This Cowboys team maybe doesn't have a full swager yet, but they for sure are not afraid anymore - of anybody. Philly is fully and totally capable of marching into Dallas and winning the game. But I think this time Dallas takes care of business.

Philly - 20

Dallas - 24

So if the Eagles, Cowboys and Vikings all finish 11-5 then the seeding will be 2) Cowboys 3) Eagles and 4) Vikings. Is this correct?

No, Dallas can only be the #2 seed if Arizona losses as well. If Philly loses to Dallas, then they will be a wildcard team and be either the 5th or 6th seed.

Doesn't matter if it's from a Dallas fan, an Eagles fan, ot neutral fan, the predicted scores have all been very close. I've seen 4, 7, 3, and 4.

That pretty-much shows that no one is really convinced that one team should majorly outplay the other.

Is there any chance this game gets moved to Sunday night instead of 4:15?

I could see the Eagles offense having big trouble this week with Jamaal Jackson out and Ratliff having such a good year. If the Cowboys get pressure up the middle, that will force McNabb to scramble, and if he is limited by his hamstring then he will be in big trouble. If the Eagles can't throw the ball, they won't be able to run the ball, because they are not a team who will just line up and pound you with the run. Their passing game sets up their running game.

On defense, the Eagles need to address three things from the first Cowboy game. The razorback, the WR screen to Ogletree, and the delayed draw. All three of these were effective in helping the Cowboys move the ball. Remember, Austin had no catches until the big TD in the 4th quarter.

This game will really depend on how well the Eagles play early because if they get behind in a hostile environment, I think they will have a hard time coming back in light of their injury situation.

Either Dallas wins big, or the Eagles win a close one.

Dallas 34-10 if the Eagles get behind early, Eagles 27-23 if the Eagles don't fall behind in the first half.

Doesn't matter if it's from a Dallas fan, an Eagles fan, ot neutral fan, the predicted scores have all been very close. I've seen 4, 7, 3, and 4.

That pretty-much shows that no one is really convinced that one team should majorly outplay the other.

No, the network already decided the Jets/Bengals game is the Sunday night game. Probably because it is a New York team, and more cities are affected by the outcome of the game depending on if the Jets win or lose. Thus the network thinks this will draw higher ratings.

I could see the Eagles offense having big trouble this week with Jamaal Jackson out and Ratliff having such a good year. If the Cowboys get pressure up the middle, that will force McNabb to scramble, and if he is limited by his hamstring then he will be in big trouble.

Yeah, that injury really hurts the eagles. Like I said before, they would have been better off if Desean Jackson got hurt. It's easier to throw a receiver in there than your starting center. Too bad we Hank Frehley's on Cleveland's bench and not Philly's.

No, the network already decided the Jets/Bengals game is the Sunday night game. Probably because it is a New York team, and more cities are affected by the outcome of the game depending on if the Jets win or lose. Thus the network thinks this will draw higher ratings.

:shocking:

Well, I guess they have media-guys who would know better than me. That's a bit surprising though. Seems like a snoozefest.

It also sucks because I won't even be able to watch most of the damn Eagles/Cowboy game. My daughter has an indoor soccer game. I'll be able to see teh score on my iphone, but if it was at 8:20, I'd be home. :dunno: :(

Not to drag AFC chatter into this thread - but does go to the reasons for not moving the Philly/Dallas game. I heard that by moving the Cinci game to late night - the Bengals will basically be able to decide who their 1st round playoff game will be against. If things pan out, they could possibly throw the game to ensure getting the same Jets in the 1st round Wilcard match up....? If so, that is ridiculous and pretty stupid of the league office. Basically the Jets will have been given 2 games and a free pass to the playoffs that they prolly really didn't deserve........ Besides, does the country really want to watch that crap game over the big one in the East?

Not to drag AFC chatter into this thread - but does go to the reasons for not moving the Philly/Dallas game. I heard that by moving the Cinci game to late night - the Bengals will basically be able to decide who their 1st round playoff game will be against. If things pan out, they could possibly throw the game to ensure getting the same Jets in the 1st round Wilcard match up....? If so, that is ridiculous and pretty stupid of the league office. Basically the Jets will have been given 2 games and a free pass to the playoffs that they prolly really didn't deserve........ Besides, does the country really want to watch that crap game over the big one in the East?

That Cincy/Jets game is only interesting to Jets fans, Cincy fans, and any fantasy leagues that may still be playing. Just seems like a game that the average football fan would care less about.

I bet Extreme Home Makeover and Deperate Housewives are happy.

I think Dallas has 2 big advantages in this game that will give them the win.

1. Dallas will shut down the run completely with just their base defense. Not a lot of need for run blitzes expecially with philly losing their center. This will turn philly one dimensional and neutralize their screen game.

2. Dallas has DBs with cover skills. Newman and Jenkins are very solid corners. They will definitly need help over the top, but they will hold their own. They will be given a lot of help by the safetys with philly unable to run the ball. I also like the young safety Sensebaugh. He has been playing very well.

If Dallas can avoid giving up the long pass play, they should win this game.

I think Dallas has 2 big advantages in this game that will give them the win.

1. Dallas will shut down the run completely with just their base defense. Not a lot of need for run blitzes expecially with philly losing their center. This will turn philly one dimensional and neutralize their screen game.

2. Dallas has DBs with cover skills. Newman and Jenkins are very solid corners. They will definitly need help over the top, but they will hold their own. They will be given a lot of help by the safetys with philly unable to run the ball. I also like the young safety Sensebaugh. He has been playing very well.

If Dallas can avoid giving up the long pass play, they should win this game.

I agree with point #1, but disagree with point #2.

I think the loss of Jackson at center will hurt the Eagles run game tremendously. Without that threat, Philly could fall into one of their pass 80/20 ratios, which always spells disaster.

As for your second point, I love the advantage either Jackson or Maclin is going to have over Newman. If Philly can pull out a road win, I think it will be largly attributed to this mismatch.

It would be a way better game if it meant a playoff spot and not just positioning, but it still should be an interesting game. There's a chance they'll be playing each other a third time a few weeks later.

The Eagles are playing great right now. They've won 6 in a row and McNabb is playing terrific. They have the most offensive weapons in the lague. On the negative side, they have trouble holding on to early big leads. They've been fortunate that they've remained on the winning side lately, but scores are always ending up too close. That'll kill them in the playoffs.

Dallas is playing well, also. Both teams are peaking at the right time.

Philly lost to Dallas at home earlier in the year, so that would suggest it will be even tougher on the road. The loss of center Jamaal Jackson is a bad injury. I would have rather they lost Desean Jackson. Throwing a backup center in their against an Pro Bowl caliber nose tackle is a recipe for disaster. On the bright side, Brian Westbrook returned yesterday, and even though he didn't look to have all of his burst, he seemed to be healthy.

If I wasn't an Eagles' fan, I might pick Dallas in a close one, based on home field advantage.

As it stands, I like Philly to come through.....

Eagles 24 Dallas 20.

Cowboys can't allow it..... anyone who hire's "VICK the DOG KILLER" needs to go down Yell

keys to the game for dallas:

1. be aggressive but clearheaded. it's a fine line to ride, but the cowboys cannot let emotion get the better of them.

2. controlled pass rush. dallas has been undisciplined in lane control lately, allowing QBs to step up. this is suicide against mcnabb.

3. control the misdirection. the eagles are going to be gameplanning their counter/screen/draw package, as well as TE action, more than usual. if they are successful in this, dallas is in for a long day.

4. consistent 1st down productivity. i rate this ahead of big plays for this matchup.

5. spread the ball around in the passing game. everyone needs to contribute, including guys like felix and crayton. if half the passing yds go to one guy, the cowboys are in trouble.

The last two games I've noticed JG trying to mix things up. I was happy to see an attempt at a trick play with Austin running from out from the back field even if he didn't pick up much yardage. That's the key... not being predictable. Romo is doing great with the fakes to Barber I've noticed.... and I like what they're doing with the receivers. JG keeps mixing them up... might be Austin out there... might be Ogletree... might be Hurd... as a result the opposing team's defense is not sure who to cover, etc. One play I'd like to see us do.. that NO does... and the Redskins did as well... is a screen to the middle... I really dug that little play. I'd like to see more short passes to Jones, Barber, and Choice.

Dallas wins this game....the eagles week 17 44-6 monkey is killed this week.

Dallas 44 philly 3

The last two games I've noticed JG trying to mix things up. I was happy to see an attempt at a trick play with Austin running from out from the back field even if he didn't pick up much yardage. That's the key... not being predictable. Romo is doing great with the fakes to Barber I've noticed.... and I like what they're doing with the receivers. JG keeps mixing them up... might be Austin out there... might be Ogletree... might be Hurd... as a result the opposing team's defense is not sure who to cover, etc. One play I'd like to see us do.. that NO does... and the Redskins did as well... is a screen to the middle... I really dug that little play. I'd like to see more short passes to Jones, Barber, and Choice.

Dallas wins this game....the eagles week 17 44-6 monkey is killed this week.

Dallas 44 philly 3

Can you and your nine alliases keep this sh!t in the other nonsense threads? No one really cares what each of your membernames think. This thread is for actual, knowledgable football fans. Not little cvntbags who will shoot their mouth and then run and hide if the Eagles win. Go on now, little boy. Go fock off. Kthanks.

If Clowny, Wade, or JG insists on playing R. Williams - I'd at least like to seem them try something similar to what Philly does with Jackson. Line him up in the slot (sort of) right off and behind the TE. Have the TE run off the coverage and let Williams come underneath across the field. Of course he has no where near the speed of Jackson, but it would certainly help him get open a bit since he can not get any separation on his own. His big fram would also help in going over the short middle. When Williams lines up on the outside, he is basically useless for anything other than blocking.

Can you and your nine alliases keep this sh!t in the other nonsense threads? No one really cares what each of your membernames think. This thread is for actual, knowledgable football fans. Not little cvntbags who will shoot their mouth and then run and hide if the Eagles win. Go on now, little boy. Go fock off. Kthanks.

haha..........funny guy

mcnabb is hurt..........the eagles line cant stop ware and spencer..............care to debate........I will gladly destroy you

Why is every analyst saying "The Eagles are the hottest team in the NFL right now?"

Sure, they are on a 6 game win streak but who have they beaten? The Bears? The Redskins? A Falcon team without Matt Ryan or Michael Turner? The Giants who are a HUGE decline Just 2-5 before they played you? The Niners? The Broncos who were 2-6 in their last 8 games before playing you and just lost to the Raiders?

And out of those 6 opponents, 0 are in the playoffs. With the exception of the Broncos, but they might be out after sunday if the Jets and Ravens win. Sounds impressive doesn't it?

If the Broncos miss the playoffs, the Eagles would be 0-4 this season against teams in the playoffs. Cowboys are 2-2 currently against teams in the playoffs. And with our game next week to see if the Eagles can get at least 1 win against a playoff team.

the eagles much like the packers have played no one........cupcake schedule :(

As a Saints fan, this will be a very intersting game to watch. I'm hoping that the Vikes win their last game and win the #2 seed. Dallas and Philly are going to beat the sh!t out of each other and both will have to play the following week after what is always an emotional game this late in the season. Having the bye week is crucial for both teams. I think Philly is the better team with a healthy McNabb. I would rather face Dallas in the divisonal game than Philly based on what i've seen from both teams this year.

Why is every analyst saying "The Eagles are the hottest team in the NFL right now?"

Sure, they are on a 6 game win streak but who have they beaten? The Bears? The Redskins? A Falcon team without Matt Ryan or Michael Turner? The Giants who are a HUGE decline Just 2-5 before they played you? The Niners? The Broncos who were 2-6 in their last 8 games before playing you and just lost to the Raiders?

And out of those 6 opponents, 0 are in the playoffs. With the exception of the Broncos, but they might be out after sunday if the Jets and Ravens win. Sounds impressive doesn't it?

If the Broncos miss the playoffs, the Eagles would be 0-4 this season against teams in the playoffs. Cowboys are 2-2 currently against teams in the playoffs. And with our game next week to see if the Eagles can get at least 1 win against a playoff team.

the eagles much like the packers have played no one........cupcake schedule :(

With the exception of two games, the Eagles and Cowboys play the exact same schedule. The Eagles played SF and Chi and Dallas played Sea and GB. GB was tougher than Chicago, but Seattle was easier than San Francisco. The Cowboys lost to the Giants twice and the Eagles beat the Giants twice. So what? The Eagles beat Denver and the Cowboys lost to Denver. So what?

You can only win the games that are on your schedule. Stop fishing.

As a Saints fan, this will be a very intersting game to watch. I'm hoping that the Vikes win their last game and win the #2 seed. Dallas and Philly are going to beat the sh!t out of each other and both will have to play the following week after what is always an emotional game this late in the season. Having the bye week is crucial for both teams. I think Philly is the better team with a healthy McNabb. I would rather face Dallas in the divisonal game than Philly based on what i've seen from both teams this year.

That's interesting since the Saints lost to the Cowboys and beat the Eagles. Of course, the Eagles were without McNabb for that game, so that was a factor. I don't think any secondary really wants to have to cover Desean Jackson right now.

With the exception of two games, the Eagles and Cowboys play the exact same schedule. The Eagles played SF and Chi and Dallas played Sea and GB.

We actually played Seattle - beat them rather well.

With the exception of two games, the Eagles and Cowboys play the exact same schedule. The Eagles played SF and Chi and Dallas played Sea and GB. GB was tougher than Chicago, but Seattle was easier than San Francisco. The Cowboys lost to the Giants twice and the Eagles beat the Giants twice. So what? The Eagles beat Denver and the Cowboys lost to Denver. So what?

You can only win the games that are on your schedule. Stop fishing.

right..........and dallas beat the eagles once and will do it again.........

That is what I said. Seattle was not a good team this year.

No TO, no offense!

Ellis, Owens, Jones, Johnson left in off-season, what would we lose?

Romo will never win a big game

Our defense can't stop anybody

Don't look now but the Boys are 10-5 and peaking at the right time.

A hard fought, high scoring game with multiple lead changes.

Romo plays well for 3 quarters, but throws a 4th quarter TD to Asante that leads to the Eagles go ahead TD.

Eagles-34

Dallas-27

Romo apologists will blame a WR.

I'll bump Tony H0mo threads

BluStarOintment and his aliaii will disappear for 3 weeks.

:rolleyes:

Romo plays well for 3 quarters, but throws a 4th quarter TD to Asante that leads to the Eagles go ahead TD.

Eagles-34

Dallas-27

:rolleyes:

bump tony threads now.......go ahead.......and philly is losing this game.....straight up.......

Eagles-34

Dallas-27

;)

i don't see a race coming out of this one. i think that philly's gameplan will be to stay patient and make the cowboys play mistake-free football, which i think is a solid approach. as i mentioned earlier, i suspect that the eagles will be even more "west coastish" than usual--lots of screen/draw and short passes, combined with double moves to take their calculated downfield shots. at least one full-up trick play, too.

they're going to come hard on defense, but i think that they'll be cerebrally aggressive rather than kamikaze-ish. this is due to the O-line situation.

honestly, i suspect that the game is going to be in the 24-20 range--tight play early, with more scoring as the coordinators get a feel for the opposition. in this scoring range, i think the chances are even, and based on turnovers.

if a race develops, where every posession counts, i think dallas has a small edge.

I think the key to this game could be the Philly pass defence and what kind of adjustments the Dallas coaches make based on that. Philly's got a great pass defence but a suspect rush D. Dallas has a great rushing attack....when they decide to use it. Too often, Phillips and Garrett abandon the running game and put the load entirely on Romo's shoulders - often resulting in failure, as it would if almost any QB was put in that situation (the Eagles are a perfect example of that). It'll be interesting to see how Dallas reacts if the Philly pass defence has a strong first half....whether they maintain a balanced attack or abandon the run altogether may very well decide this game.

Here are the predictions given so far:

NewbieJr: Eagles 24-20

Kmbryant09: Cowboys 27-20

Cruzer: Cowboys 24-20

Joey Gladstone: Eagles 28-24

Eagles Green: Eagles 34-27

Sirensong: Cowboys 24-20