Sign in to follow this  
ricanrockers

The Mike Martz Effect

I guess the Jets weren't a good rushing offense last year then. Their offense was ranked 20th in the NFL, WORSE THAN 50% OF THE TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE.

But, wait, they were the best rushing team in 2009! How's that possible?

Oh, yeah, because TOTAL OFFENSE stats don't determine if they had a great rushing O and crappy passing O, just like it doesn't differentiate between a great passing O and a crappy rushing O, like Martz' offenses tend to be. Dumbass.

Reading is your friend. You should try it. I never said Martz was a Godsend. You said "what's he ever done?" I provided the stats that showed he's produced starting caliber FF QBs. I never said he was going to help the running game, in fact I said that Martz wouldn't be great for the rushing totals of the Bears RB.

So, who cares what his total offense ranks were? That has NOTHING to do with my point that Martz makes his QBs valuable in FF. It's not arbitrary data, its data that is RELEVANT to the discussion at hand, unlike your data about total offense.

Jesus! You're retarded.

Were the Jets a good offense last year? No! They weren't. They were a one dimensional running team, that backed into the playoffs and coupled with a good D, got hot at the end. One dimensional teams rarely ever do good. And when your a one dimensional passing team, your QB gets killed!

I said Mike Martz has sucked everywhere but STL and this is true. You tried to dazzle me with BS stats about his passing totals, when that is only half the numbers. Any OC in the league could throw the ball 70% of the time and put up those kind of numbers, that doesnt make them good.

Ya, it was all Martz setting records in St Louis. I'm sure having 2 HOF receivers had nothing to do with that era.

Alex Smith or whoever...you mean the Alex Smith or whoever that recorded a better QB rating than Jay Cutler last year? That Alex Smith or whoever?

What a dork.

QB rating doesn't get ff points, yards and touchdowns do.

Cutler put up elite ff numbers just two years ago.

Why are we even discussing Martz if you're going to give all credit to the HOF WRs?

:wacko:

Jesus! You're retarded.

Were the Jets a good offense last year? No! They weren't. They were a one dimensional running team, that backed into the playoffs and coupled with a good D, got hot at the end. One dimensional teams rarely ever do good. And when your a one dimensional passing team, your QB gets killed!

I said Mike Martz has sucked everywhere but STL and this is true. You tried to dazzle me with BS stats about his passing totals, when that is only half the numbers. Any OC in the league could throw the ball 70% of the time and put up those kind of numbers, that doesnt make them good.

I'm retarded? You can't even differentiate between fantasy football and NFL football, evidently.

YOU SAID "This is fantasy football," but you keep bringing up stats and data that are applicable to the NFL, but not FF.

No, the Jets weren't a good offense last year, but that sure as hell didn't stop T Jones from being the 6th best FF RB, did it?

Were the Titans a good offense last year? No, but Chris Johnson FF owners were probably pretty damn satisfied with his year.

Were the Jags a good offense last year? No, but MJD put up some good FF #s, didn't he?

You said Martz sucked, AND ASKED WHAT HE HAS EVER DONE. I showed you that he has produced great passing stats, and FF QB1s. I never said he was a good NFL OC/HC, only that he would improve passing numbers, especially with regards to FF.

You were wrong, as far as FF goes and remember, you said "this is fantasy football." As far as the NFL, yeah he sucks. As I've said before, though, he'll produce good passing stats, NFL wise, and he has a great chance of producing a FF QB1.

QB rating doesn't get ff points, yards and touchdowns do.

Cutler put up elite ff numbers just two years ago.

Why are we even discussing Martz if you're going to give all credit to the HOF WRs?

:wacko:

I'm not talking about fantasy points, are you simple?

What is missing out of this equation: Cutler + _______ = Elite

I'll give you a hint, it's not Mike Martz, and it rhymes with Franden Partial.

Why ARE we discussing Martz? He has relative failures to the successes he's had. The 2010 Chicago Bears will struggle to be in the top 10 of the offenses he's had to run.

Pontificate away if makes you feel less like a douche

Timeless........

I'm not talking about fantasy points, are you simple?

What is missing out of this equation: Cutler + _______ = Elite

I'll give you a hint, it's not Mike Martz, and it rhymes with Franden Partial.

Why ARE we discussing Martz? He has relative failures to the successes he's had. The 2010 Chicago Bears will struggle to be in the top 10 of the offenses he's had to run.

Kitna put up a ton of yards with Martz.

Cutler is better than Kitna.

Brandon Marshall didn't do ###### until Cutler's big year.

Devin Aromashodu!

Kitna put up a ton of yards with Martz.

Cutler is better than Kitna.

Brandon Marshall didn't do ###### until Cutler's big year.

Devin Aromashodu!

He has only been in the league 4 years, clown. His rookie year was sub-par by his standards, but that's to be expected, as rookie WRs usually struggle. Other than that, all he does is turn out 1K seasons. Cutler is no better than Kitna than he is better than Orton. They're all middling QBs.

He has only been in the league 4 years, clown. His rookie year was sub-par by his standards, but that's to be expected, as rookie WRs usually struggle. Other than that, all he does is turn out 1K seasons. Cutler is no better than Kitna than he is better than Orton. They're all middling QBs.

:lol: Cutler was a rookie in 2006 too and his first year with Aromashodu last year they finally connected. This upcoming year is Aromashodu's big breakout year. Cutler's gonna put up huge stats again.

Chargirl08, Including Cutler with Kitna and Orton just proves how clueless you really are and why no one is listening to you here. :banana:

Jesus! You're retarded.

He he he... some things never change.

And to add to the argument... anyone that doesn't bump up a Mike Martz QB a few notches is ignorant.

Can anyone please tell me how Brett Favre is a lookalike player to Cutler?

/BWAHA!

Int's my ****!

Dude, Bennett, Hester, Knox, Devin, Olsen - flip a ###### coin!

I hope I draft against everyone high on Bears this year.

Cutler .....50000 yards.... :D

:lol: Cutler was a rookie in 2006 too and his first year with Aromashodu last year they finally connected. This upcoming year is Aromashodu's big breakout year. Cutler's gonna put up huge stats again.

Chargirl08, Including Cutler with Kitna and Orton just proves how clueless you really are and why no one is listening to you here. :banana:

Not sure what Cutler being a rookie in 2006 has to do with anything, but ok. Clueless is predicting that some practice squad reject is going to "break out" because he has a cool name. Nobody is listening to me because I don't include audio in my posts, but some people (in fact, you) sure as hell are reading what I write.

Go ahead and bang out your reply so you can get busy jerking off to whatever other delusional fantasies your myopic brain can conjure up. Come up with another gem like "chargirl" and I bet you'll be cleaning off your keyboard in no time.

Not sure what Cutler being a rookie in 2006 has to do with anything, but ok. Clueless is predicting that some practice squad reject is going to "break out" because he has a cool name. Nobody is listening to me because I don't include audio in my posts, but some people (in fact, you) sure as hell are reading what I write.

Go ahead and bang out your reply so you can get busy jerking off to whatever other delusional fantasies your myopic brain can conjure up. Come up with another gem like "chargirl" and I bet you'll be cleaning off your keyboard in no time.

Not sure why you've felt the need to throw out little insults everytime you post, but whatever makes you happy I guess.

Not sure why you've felt the need to throw out little insults everytime you post, but whatever makes you happy I guess.

LMAO, ok, guy. Because calling me clueless, calling me chargirl, and saying nobody listens to me don't qualify as insults in your delusional existence?

Looks like I hit a sour note by calling you out for getting fap happy over seeing your words on a computer screen.

For anyone that cares, courtesy of the Chicago Tribune:

How much do WRs produce in Mike Martz-directed offenses? In 10 years of calling the plays as a OC or HC, No. 1 WRs under Martz have averaged 88.7 receptions and 1,256 yards. The No. 2 WR's numbers in that span are strong -- 68.6 receptions and 1,037 yards. Devin Hester likely would have reached 70 receptions last season if he had remained healthy. Interestingly, Martz compared him to former slot receiver Az-Zahir Hakim when he was first hired, a role player he used in St. Louis. Quickly, Hester was being talked about again as a starter and an outside deep threat. It remains to be seen if he can be above average in that role.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-100715-chicago-bears-wide-receivers,0,5854772.story

As a Bears fan, I'm quasi excited about this season with Martz. And here is why, the WORST Martz can do is still head and shoulders better that the BEST Ron Turner could do.

Jesus! You're retarded.

Why don't you take a look at the offensive rankings prior to Martz arriving for those teams?

Mad Mike is an elite offense coordinator in this league. Anyone that can turn Jon Kitna into a 4,000 yard passer deserves a big pat in the back.

"In 2006, the Lions had the #7 ranked pass offense.

In 2007, the Lions had the #9 ranked pass offense.

In 2008, the 49ers had the #13 ranked pass offense."

How he can turn a horrible 08 49ers into the 13th ranked passing offense is beyond me.

Give the guy a QB that can actually make the throws and i think he can turn that offense into something really special.

I am also very high on Cutler this year.

They got 3 speedy WR in Chicago with a TE that do an adequate job in drawing coverage. What else can you ask for? Would it surprise anyone if Chicago ranks in the top 5 this year in Passing offense?

It was never a question of whether he is good for QB's or WR's. Even my initial post stated that Cutler and one other WR would have good value.

The original poster was talking about the entire Bears offense and how Martz would have an effect on everyone. I said he wouldnt and that he had sucked every else other then the Rams.

Then everyone started throwing out passing stats and saying he was great because of that. There is more to being a great OC, then passing. And the most interesting stat that came out of this entire debate is that 30% of the time, the QB in Mike Martz system suffers an injury!

People that are drafting Cutler late, should take note of that and snag another upside guy just in case.

Anyone who owned Faulk during the Martz era knows all to well what his presence means... <_<

"In 2006, the Lions had the #7 ranked pass offense.

In 2007, the Lions had the #9 ranked pass offense.

In 2008, the 49ers had the #13 ranked pass offense."

How he can turn a horrible 08 49ers into the 13th ranked passing offense is beyond me.

Give the guy a QB that can actually make the throws and i think he can turn that offense into something really special.

I am also very high on Cutler this year.

They got 3 speedy WR in Chicago with a TE that do an adequate job in drawing coverage. What else can you ask for? Would it surprise anyone if Chicago ranks in the top 5 this year in Passing offense?

Do you honestly think it's going to be Greg Olsen's job to draw coverage?

Besides the Offensive Line looking bad, Cutler and the offense are looking very good!

3-0 :shocking:

fwiw, none of the bears players aside from Cutler are worth much. Forte has been decent.

fantasy wise, this isn't close to the greatest show on turf.

NFL wise, i give more credit to the defense. Peppers and a healthy Urlacher than I do Martz, tbh.

Peppers is NASTY!

He caused half of those 18 penalties!!

Sow how did Cutler do last year? Was he elite? I wasn't paying attention.

As a Bears fan, I'd still make that trade for Cutler again. Maybe not Elite but still better than Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton.

9 months between posts, someone gets the Voodoo God badge for resurrecting a dead post.

We desparately need a Voodoo emoticon. Something like a headless chicken or a sweet dreadlocked smiley dude. We need a dreadlocked emoticon that would rock! :headbanger:

I did not own a single bear last season, but I am buying on them this year. They are cheaper, and they have had more time to learn the system.

As a Bears fan, I'd still make that trade for Cutler again. Maybe not Elite but still better than Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton.

I don't know, I don't think he is better than Orton, 2 firsts a third.

I did not own a single bear last season, but I am buying on them this year. They are cheaper, and they have had more time to learn the system.

I was thinking the same thing, just don't reach for them. I'm really liking Forte as a RB#2 but it all depends on where you draft to get him.

I was thinking the same thing, just don't reach for them. I'm really liking Forte as a RB#2 but it all depends on where you draft to get him.

From what I can see in a few mocks, Forte is a mid to late 2nd rounder now, so you need to pay to get him as a RB2. He likely wont fall if you have a wait and see approach.

The Bears will need to fill their backup RB spot still in free agency, so its unknown if they will keep Taylor (not likely), get a true backup or get a player that will cut into Forte's numbers. He looks to be solid for 1500 total yards and 8-10 TDs either way however.

I still dont see any one receiver standing out as a viable FF starter. Maybe Johnny Knox as a 3rd wr, but overall, it will be a committee. Cutler remains a borderline starter likely available in the 5th round.

The Martz effect as this thread attempted to look into has had its balls cut off. The Bears will run first and the passing game will be as effective as the line that protects it. martz was forced to succumb to the players he had rather than implement an alleged system of greatness.