Sign in to follow this  
ramz04

Miles Austin or Reggie Wayne?

Who would you rather have as your #1 fantasy WR? My guts telling me Austin. Thoughts?

As a Wayne owner last year, I was feeling lucky towards the end of the season if Wayne did anything productive. Wayne's numbers will dip this year, mark it down. Also, Austin Miles didn't even play a whole season last year, and has shown no signs of slowing down.

Austin Miles by miles. This isn't even close.

As a Wayne owner last year, I was feeling lucky towards the end of the season if Wayne did anything productive. Wayne's numbers will dip this year, mark it down. Also, Austin Miles didn't even play a whole season last year, and has shown no signs of slowing down.

Austin Miles by miles. This isn't even close.

Who is Austin miles?

Who would you rather have as your #1 fantasy WR? My guts telling me Austin. Thoughts?

I wouldnt be unhappy with either but watching Austin play last year he was a freakin beast. Wayne has been great for awhile and Austin is just getting started. Every time Austin touched the ball you thought he would score. I cant say same about Wayne. But with that said Wayne is the safer pick. You know what you gonna get with Wayne and Austin we think but wont know till after this year.

Don't go by the pre-season cheat sheets, go by what logic and your gut tells you. If your league scores for TD's as well, why don't you go against the grain and pick up Calvin Johnson. He stands a very good chance to have a huge year with Stafford getting more help with a pass heavy offense. :headbanger:

Contract year for Peyton and Wayne wanting more money = No cockiness from Manning (showing that he could throw TDs to Betty White) and Wayne is out to prove that he unquestionably is still the man. Add in that Defenses know they have to cover everyone now.

Reggie will get ridden hard and often.

Wayne and it isn't even close. Austin will not put up numbers like last year. Mark it down

Tremendous analysis :thumbsdown:

Garcon and Collie stepped up nicely last year and Gonzalez will be back. Factor in Peyton's boy Dallas Clark, and all the value in Indy WR's lies in the three guys not named Wayne. In mocks I'm LOVING Collie in the 11th.

Miles Austin is the guy you want early.

Wayne is on his way down to the #2 role. Garcon is on his way up as the teams #1.

Garcon and Collie stepped up nicely last year and Gonzalez will be back. Factor in Peyton's boy Dallas Clark, and all the value in Indy WR's lies in the three guys not named Wayne. In mocks I'm LOVING Collie in the 11th.

Miles Austin is the guy you want early.

All of those receivers is bad news for Collie since he's not a starter. Wayne is in for every play.

I do like Austin better than Wayne though. Dallas runs their offense through the #1 WR.

Man, good arguments for Miles Austin but I'd go with Wayne for a couple reasons.

1. Last year Miles was a beast at times but it seemed that once defenses started keying on Miles Austin, they shut him down. This might be amplified as well by my next point.

2. Who would you rather have throwing to your WR1? Peyton Manning or Tony Romo? Obviously Peyton Manning although Indy is capable of putting up a sleeper (non offensive game).

All of those receivers is bad news for Collie since he's not a starter. Wayne is in for every play.

I do like Austin better than Wayne though. Dallas runs their offense through the #1 WR.

I disagree on Collie. Regardless who starts in Indy, Collie does his work out of the slot. Assuming Wayne and Garcon are starters, he should be competing with Gonzo. Collie's rookie season was better then any season Gonzo has produced and he isnt coming off of a knee injury.

I like Collie to at least come close to last season's numbers... 60 catches, 650-700 yards and 6-9 TD's. Nice stats for an 11th round pick.

I would like to see what some of the Colt fans around here think. This old link is all I can find to support my hunch:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5176

Man, good arguments for Miles Austin but I'd go with Wayne for a couple reasons.

1. Last year Miles was a beast at times but it seemed that once defenses started keying on Miles Austin, they shut him down. This might be amplified as well by my next point.

2. Who would you rather have throwing to your WR1? Peyton Manning or Tony Romo? Obviously Peyton Manning although Indy is capable of putting up a sleeper (non offensive game).

Look @ Austin's stats. Even in his "down" games he's scored a TD or @least 90 yards in all the games except for a few which happens to everyone.

I would pick Wayne as Manning likes to throw to him. As for Miles the problem is that Dallas does not concentrate on 1 receiver. Romo likes to throw to Witten in the red zone and will then look at Roy Williams or Dez Bryant there as well over Miles. RBs also get a lot of action in pass plays.

For argument number 1, please provide examples. As someone else pointed out Austin's production was fairly consistent and defenses can't key in on Austin, because of Witten and two very good backs who can catch the ball. Plus that guy named Bryant is on the way...

Secondly, sure Manning is one of the greatest, but Romo is a top flight NFL QB as well. He figured it out last year, as he only threw 9 INTS. Lets not forget as well, Romo and Austin have been in the Dallas system for four years developing chemistry. I'm not saying Wayne is washed, but there are alot of cooks in that Indy WR corps plus Clark, coupled with the age, Ill take the younger legs on a team who you can very well argue is as good as anyone in the NFL heading into the season

I would pick Wayne as Manning likes to throw to him. As for Miles the problem is that Dallas does not concentrate on 1 receiver. Romo likes to throw to Witten in the red zone and will then look at Roy Williams or Dez Bryant there as well over Miles. RBs also get a lot of action in pass plays.

Witten only had 4 TDS last year if im not mistaken despite 90 catches. Hardly a Visanthe Shiancoe red zone vulture. Roy Williams is a non-factor...

Wayne is more of a lock for 1300 yards 8-10tds, but I'd go with the upside that Austin showed. I think he is capable of 12-14 tds and 1300+ yards as well. I'll gamble with Austin.

Wayne and Manning will be sitting in the fantasy playoffs.

//thread

Wayne is on his way down to the #2 role. Garcon is on his way up as the teams #1.

Absolutely not - seriously?

Trust me - as a diehard Colts fan, Garcon is at least 2 years away from being a #1...and that's IF he continues to work hard and improve.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Garcon brings to the table - but his hands are terrible and his route-running is still raw at best. Everyone is knocking on Wayne saying he had a bad year - The dude had 100 catches, 1200+ yards, and 10 TD's...without playing much in week 16 & 17. I do believe his numbers will drop simply because of the options in Indy (Garcon, Clarke, Collie, Gonzo, Addai - come to think of it, the talent here is sickening), which is why I'd still probably take Miles Austin over him. But you can mark Wayne down for 90+, 1100+, 8+ for the next 2 years, barring injury.

I think you cant go wrong either way. Wayne has been very consistent, while Austin had one good year. The safe pick is Wayne even with him possibly sitting out in the ff playoffs. With all the talent in Indy at WR and TE and pass catching RB the ball will be spread out but wayne will get his. Bottom line is austins ceiling is higher but his floor is lower than wayne. imo just depends on your draft style. I usually like a mix of consistency and high upside. I would take WAYNE earlier in the draft and another unproven wr with high upside later (Nicks,Crabtree,Wallace,SimsWalker...) im personally targeting bowe in the 5th/6th welker in the 6th if hes there and who knows if VJAX is there in the 7th i would roll the dice with him (10 teamer)...after i took my WR1 in WAYNE

Both are terrific wrs Reggie Wayne is still puttin up great numbers but it seems to me that late in games especailly towards the end of last season he was tired or effort wasn't completely there. Just a hunch but I think Wayne may be on a slight decline. I really like Miles explosiveness and his fantasy production seems like it's there every week. Pass defenses have problems w/ both players. There are probably more options w/ the colts (too many to name) that pass defenses have to keep tabs on. Dallas has Witten, Dez, Roy, a trio rb combo, I think teams even have to even think about Sam Hurd. I'd say the Colts are a tougher team to guard but my gut tells me Austin Miles. Like I said my hunch is that Reggie Wayne peaked and is going to be on a slight decline and Austin Miles is 6 years younger w/ upside/career ahead of him.

In terms of yards the both will be about equal. The question comes down to TDs and whether you think Dallas looks for Austin in the Red Zone or not. I think that Austin is the 3rd option there while Wayne is #1 or #2.

tough one. just going by consistency, i'd say Wayne, but i have concerns about both of them.

wayne will most likely sit durring the ff playoffs. the cowboys will probably still have something to play for come those weeks.

wayne does have a lot of weapons around him, but austin has just as many. witten-clark, roy williams-garcon, collie-bryant, addai-felix jones, a. gonzalez-martellus bennett, brown-barber.

it really comes down to who's more consistent and which qb likes to spread the ball around more. i feel like wayne is by far manning's most trusted guy and he will go to him often while miles hasn't proven that yet with the cowboys. he's definitely getting there, but i think witten is still romo's fall back. austin had a few games last year where he absolutely went off (over 200 yards and a couple of tds) which helped skew his final numbers quite a bit. he won't be sneaking up on anyone this year, and teams will be looking to actually tackle him.

i had miles last year and he helped me tremendously, but i'm not sure i'll have him on any teams this year. we'll see though, it all depends on what his value is come draft time. the pre season will help sort out a lot of these debates.

Wayne, and it's not even close. If you spend a high enough pick to get a top notch WR, my money is on the player who puts up solid numbers every season.

This is a tough one. Wayne is still going to be solid with Peyton Manning tossing him the ball. I think Wayne's floor is pretty high, so he is a great selection. However, I am looking to win my leagues this year and I am going to do that by increasing my risk a little. Austin and the Cowboys just seem destine for a solid year. I will draft Austin over Wayne in 2010. In any kind of a keeper league, it isn't even close. I want Austin by a mile in those leagues.

I am trying to remain calm, but I am liking Austin more and more as the season approaches. By the time I actually draft, I am afraid I am going to be reaching for this guy in the first round.

to add to my last reply, i think its your drafting preference. How many people that have replied and would rather have austin would also choose chris johnson with the 1st pick. likewise the people that would choose wayne would you take peterson 1st overall or cj? again i would take wayne, and i would also take peterson. conservative consistent or high upside risk?

This is a good debate that the poster above nailed with the CJ/AP comparison, though I think this faceoff has a bit more uncertainty involved than than the Peterson or Johnson discussion---this choice comes down to the consistent production that Wayne provides vs. the explosive potential that Austin provides---at the same time, it also comes down to choosing between the possibility that this year begins the eventual decline of Reggie Wayne vs. the potential "one year wonderness" of Miles Austin. In alot of ways, this debate is a microcosm of the debate that exists for just about every one of the top flight receivers once Andre Johnson is off the board. Austin, Wayne, Calvin, Fitzgerald, Moss---each of them could be inserted in this discussion because each of them carry significant baggage to go along with all of the positive attributes they possess. Calvin: physical freak but has only produced one year and seems to be banged up alot. Fitz: undeniable talent who has been the model of consistency, but how big an impact does losing Warner and Boldin have? Moss- very similar in my opinion to Reggie Wayne...consistently productive in New England, but when does the decline begin? Picking at the wrap around in round one of a ten team ppr, this is a debate that I have great interest in, since I am not in love with any of the backs after the top 5 and feel that the depth at Qb allows for waiting on one...since I will probably be looking at taking two wrs, I have to decide which of these two guys combined is the best way to start...If I had to choose today, I think I might go with Miles Austin and Larry Fitz at the turn, though Moss-Fitz, Moss-Calvin, Moss-Austin, Wayne-Austin, etc., all may end up being the way I eventually go...

Fantasymind-Great Post. I as well have the 10th pick in a 10 team PPR league. I believe I am going to do Austin-Moss with my 1st 2 picks. What you thinking of looking at with your next 2 picks? I am hoping for Brady-Wells or something like that.

Other question I have, what does everyone think about Mendenhall and Turner in PPR. If Turner has great season with several TD's I do not see his lack of receptions hurting too bad. Mendenhall, I loved in college and is a possibility of mine with Austin. Look forward to hearing back from some people.

Fantasymind-Great Post. I as well have the 10th pick in a 10 team PPR league. I believe I am going to do Austin-Moss with my 1st 2 picks. What you thinking of looking at with your next 2 picks? I am hoping for Brady-Wells or something like that.

I am right in the exact same ballpark with you---thinking Romo or Brady in the third and then deciding based upon what is left---I like Wells and think he will be there, so it could be him---I am kind of hoping that a back like Jamaal Charles or Ryan Grant drops...If they did, I might go with one of them and Wells, hoping that Schaub or Rivers drops to the fifth (if they don't, I will wait on QB until 7/8 and take two upside guys like Flacco, Kolb, Ryan, etc)...I have also not ruled out the idea of taking a third receiver (10 tm ppr that starts three, no Te) in the third if a guy I like drops---I like the idea of Steve Smith, Giants, as my third starter in a ppr league or maybe Boldin or Jennings...In the mocks I have done, I have liked my teams the best when I have gone wr-wr-rb-wr-rb-rb-qb-rb, targeting backs that have some upside (Forsett, Michael Bush, Bradshaw, Best) and hoping that one of them hits...

I disagree on Collie. Regardless who starts in Indy, Collie does his work out of the slot. Assuming Wayne and Garcon are starters, he should be competing with Gonzo. Collie's rookie season was better then any season Gonzo has produced and he isnt coming off of a knee injury.

I like Collie to at least come close to last season's numbers... 60 catches, 650-700 yards and 6-9 TD's. Nice stats for an 11th round pick.

I would like to see what some of the Colt fans around here think. This old link is all I can find to support my hunch:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5176

Damn, looks like I was selling the guy short! :shocking: