Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Awesome

Jahvid Best

I don't think this guy will last long this year. Besides those two TDs, he had a 1.5 YPC average. That's definitely not going to make a long lasting impression in the NFL.

He'll be on the bench next week.

I actually saw the entire game. Too much east-west...he's scared of contact. He's got nice hands, but you won't be seeing him going up the middle any time soon.

I don't think this guy will last long this year. Besides those two TDs, he had a 1.5 YPC average. That's definitely not going to make a long lasting impression in the NFL.

Maybe on your team, but not for Detroit. They may actually lean more on his short pass catching now without QB

Maybe on your team, but not for Detroit. They may actually lean more on his short pass catching now without QB

I'm happy with the 20 points he got me, but VERY nervous about the yardage he gained. I generally look for guys who move teh ball. Not for guys who get lucky TD's, as that luck will wear out eventually. I'm actually considering trying to move best this week, as he might be worth something. Detroit scares me though, I thought they'd have an easier time moving the ball on Chicago. With Stafford out, that scares me even more.

If Stafford misses a lot of time it will hurt Best's value, but he's still going to be a huge part of their offense. I have him in 2 leagues and he scored 20 pts so I'm happy with his production today. I'll start him at my FLEX next week as well although there are concerns.

If Stafford misses a lot of time it will hurt Best's value, but he's still going to be a huge part of their offense. I have him in 2 leagues and he scored 20 pts so I'm happy with his production today. I'll start him at my FLEX next week as well although there are concerns.

In a PPR league he is my #3 RB so I feel good putting him in now and then cause I really think the dump off is going to be a serious part of the offense.

I watched the entire game today and my observation was that Chicago's front seven looked surpisingly good today at home. The kid has some things to work on, but his low YPC is hardly just his fault - Chicago defense had plenty to do with his extremely low yardage totals. Not to mention the struggling offense line and consistenly poor field position (quite a few of his carries were inside the Lions 5 yard line). Let's see what he does next week.

he was the goal-line back today, which is worth noting (hence the 2 tds). he'll get his at that rate. the kid is good. relax.

the more troubling thing for his value is stafford's status.

overall, the lions appear to be cursed. so proceed with caution on that note :bandana:

I didn't see the game, noticed schefftler had a few catches(45yds about), worth keeping him stashed on my bench Swamp?

in a deep league requiring a te, maybe. i guess you could make a case the lions will be even more conservative with stafford out (i'm assuming he's going to miss a chunk of time. again.)

I actually saw the entire game. Too much east-west...he's scared of contact. He's got nice hands, but you won't be seeing him going up the middle any time soon.

So, in other words, he's Laurence Maroney :dunno:

he was doing the east-west thing too much today...thing is, he wasn't doing that in the preseason. he was hitting hole good between the tackles then.

again, he's got the goods. he'll be good. don't freak out just yet (and he did have 2 tds today...i mean, come on).

It was only a year ago that Kevin Smith had a lot of buzz coming out of camp before he proceeded to have 20 carry for 30 yard games behind Detroit's hideous line. Fast forward one year and only the name of the RB has changed.

Detroit's O-line is pathetic. So is Scott Linehan....the play calling today was ridiculous. And that was before Stafford was pummeled by Peppers.

If I were a Best owner, I'd look to sell after his 2 TD day. Chicago's front seven is decent. I don't think it's any better than Philly or Minny.....the Lions' next two opponents.

Throw in NYG/WAS/DAL/GB and the AFC East.....there's gonna be a lot of slim stat lines this year for Jahvid.

Here is the skinny:

All of the preseason hype about the Lions being vastly improved on offense was just that......hype. Their O-line is still suck.

However, Best is not your average player. He is the type of runner who can go 14 carries/20 yards..... then rip off a 68 yard screen pass to the house. He is always just one touch away from a great fantasy day. The 2 TD's today of course saved Best owners, but I found this to be far more telling than his low ypc. They trust him in close, and he can deliver.

Buy low......if you can.

They trust him in close, and he can deliver.

Detroit had like 100 yards of total offense....in the 4th quarter. The reason the Lions were in close is because the Bears couldn't hang onto the football.

There's some good defenses on the Lions' slate this year. Combine that with a really bad O-line.....and you're going to have a lot more 4-5 point days than 20 point efforts.

I was one of the dudes buying into the Detroit offense this year. I was wrong. They've got talent all over the place...except up front. And I don't trust Linehan to find ways to get his playmakers the ball.

As a CJ/Stafford owner....I was mortified with what I saw today.

I wouldn't panic too hard based on what you saw today (I saw the whole game). As another poster said, Chicago's front 7 looked great, reminiscent of 05/06. Urlacher looked like his old self and was all over Best all day. They only gave up 168 total yards today, and at least a third of that came off the final drive while Chicago played prevent. If they keep that up, they will be a top 5 D again...big if. If you are depending on him to be an RB1 or possibly even an RB2, I would try to see what you can get for him. But if he's just a flex or an RB3, he's worth the roster spot. Like another poster said, his schedule is the main cause for concern (as it is for any NFC north running back, really).

Not terribly far off from what he was in college either.... saw this kid play and took notice that he could not withstand contact at the college level very well. CJ Spiller is not so different, but not nearly as bad....:thumbsup:

He's my RB 2 along with CJ2K and a weak weak bench of both Bushes.

I'm wondering if he can be ok as my RB2 all year with CJ2k picking up the slack.

I'm not sold but I'm not totally panicking either.

Really the whole key is if he can be the goal line guy or not.

If he's a home run hitter + goal line back....there is some good value there.

If he's just a home run hitter...not so much.

Laughing at this thread! 1st NFL game for Best and he is already being called a bust!!! You guys crack me up!! :rolleyes:

Laughing at this thread! 1st NFL game for Best and he is already being called a bust!!! You guys crack me up!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, sharing opinions is pretty silly...

funniest part is.. regardless of all the speculation.. the dude still scored 2 tds, and had 5 catches... those are the numbers i look at.. because it shows he is going to be a big part of whatever offense that this team has

funniest part is.. regardless of all the speculation.. the dude still scored 2 tds, and had 5 catches... those are the numbers i look at.. because it shows he is going to be a big part of whatever offense that this team has

Yes he did...and he will help me win in one league this week...... :clap:

But the assessment of him stands. He is not an every down back in the NFL....think Kevin Faulk, with people like me hoping for Charlie Garner....

Only 2 Scenarios:

1.) He will suck and maybe get a score here and there. Yards will be low all year.

2.) He will get hurt

In non PPR would I be crazy to try and sell best for hightower?

I dunno man. Best scares the ###### out of me. That is the most uneasy 20 points I think Ive ever had out of a RB.

In fact, all my RB's scare the ###### out of me.

McFadden got me 26, yet I don't want him.

Best got me 20, now I don't want him.

Grant got injured, and I never wanted him.

Peyton Hillis got 14, but fumbled twice.

We will see how Thomas Jones does tonight....

Best for Hightower?

Yeah, if Wells dies. Not wishing for him to die, but it will be RBBC it Arizona once he is back.

At least Best is gonna be the every down/GL/catching passes out of the backfield guy.

Does every team he plays this year have Brain U Ju Peppers and Tommie Harris. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Does every team he plays this year have Brain U Ju Peppers and Tommie Harris. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

With games against MIN/GBx2/CHI/WAS/DAL/PHI/NYG/NE/NYJ

You tell me you'd be confident starting him against those teams? Any one of those squads are as good or better than Chicago.

He does get BUF/TB/STL...so he should do well in those matchups. So that makes Best a matchup play. If you have to rely on him as a RB2....deal him while the getting is good. And no...getting Hightower is not good. Best > Hightower.

I didn't like what I saw from Detroit at all yesterday...and it had less to do with Chicago's defense than with bad play calling and horrible offensive line play.

Just my .02

A reminder not to panic in week one.

Both Gore and Turner ran for 2.2 yds per and against Seattle and Atlanta no less.

The key is to react appropriately.

And please don't tell me you're comparing Best with Turner/Gore. At least those guys have shown they can put up numbers in their respective offenses.

The only thing we know about Best is he can capitalize in close, and his coach would rather watch his highlights than surf pron.

He did nt do much better them Kevin Smith last season , same kind of numbers ( Bad ypc average but a few TD s ) ..

I think Smiht - Best - Barry Sanders no one could run the ball behind this OL .

And Kevin Smith maybe a better RB then most of us think ...

oops.

...and he has 5 tds in two games...he's almost at the season total for tds predicted for him by most of the experts. including fftoday.

:lol: :lol: