Sign in to follow this  
McBain

Your strategy against high scoring opponents

Hi new member here. Glad to find people who love talking about FF.

So if you're facing someone who has the highest scoring team in the league (assuming it's not you), do you play your best players and just hope they outscore your opponent, or do you take some risks and play sleepers?

I'm tied for first place in my league, but I know it's going to be tough beating the other team in the playoffs because he has Adrian Petersen and Arian Foster. I have Michael Turner and Jammal Charles. Everything else matches up pretty well, so I feel like my best chance to beat him is to sacrifice some of my other top players to get better running backs.

So I'd like to hear what you think you would do. Stay put and hope for the best or radically alter your team to give yourself a better chance?

Hi new member here. Glad to find people who love talking about FF.

So if you're facing someone who has the highest scoring team in the league (assuming it's not you), do you play your best players and just hope they outscore your opponent, or do you take some risks and play sleepers?

I'm tied for first place in my league, but I know it's going to be tough beating the other team in the playoffs because he has Adrian Petersen and Arian Foster. I have Michael Turner and Jammal Charles. Everything else matches up pretty well, so I feel like my best chance to beat him is to sacrifice some of my other top players to get better running backs.

So I'd like to hear what you think you would do. Stay put and hope for the best or radically alter your team to give yourself a better chance?

Play the guys you think will score the most, which will most of the time be your studs. I have Foster and Peterson and have lost 4 times already this season. No one is invincible.

EDIT: Ehh misread your post...i see its about whether you should make trades, not who you should start. Apologies...im a n00b.

If you are tied for first, it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

Hell, in one league I have 3 of the top 5 RBs and can start them all, and I have 3 losses. Nobody is invincible.

Match ups are critical as you probably know. If Foster is running against Pitt, Giants, or Jets defense, then that can neutralize his big runners. See Foster against Gmen.

Plus, if that team is getting killed then they may pass a lot.

Finally, injuries do happen too. So, a lot could happen from now till playoffs.

I'm going up against a guy this week who has CJohnson, AFoster, Roddy White and Wayne. He's lost 3 times.

You always want to make your team better. But, don't take unnecessary risks. In a competitive league, a truly dominant team will barely win 75% of the time. In the playoffs, that number drops. So, you play your best and hope you don't get matched up with him. But, in terms of bench space, I would gamble on the higher upside plays than "sure things." You'd want guys like Shonn Greene, James Jones, LeGarrette Blount on your bench over guys like Thomas Jones or Fred Jackson or Jabar Gaffney. But I wouldn't trade away a low upside starter like Cedric Benson for CJ Spiller or Shonn Greene or Felix Jones.

I guess right now I just don't have a lot of faith in my running backs being able to match the production from his running backs. The scoring for WR is 1pt for every 15 yards and 6 for TDs, so there isn't a lot of upside for the WR to make up for the RBs. His running backs can give him 40+ points any week. Neither the Vikings or Texans look like they rest their starters week 13-16 so Peterson and Foster will play for sure.

Right now he's scored 957.95 points total, and my team has scored 827.04 and we both are tied for first with a 7 and 2 record. But the good news is my team has scored 100+ points three weeks in a row now.

I guess right now I just don't have a lot of faith in my running backs being able to match the production from his running backs. The scoring for WR is 1pt for every 15 yards and 6 for TDs, so there isn't a lot of upside for the WR to make up for the RBs. His running backs can give him 40+ points any week. Neither the Vikings or Texans look like they rest their starters week 13-16 so Peterson and Foster will play for sure.

Right now he's scored 957.95 points total, and my team has scored 827.04 and we both are tied for first with a 7 and 2 record. But the good news is my team has scored 100+ points three weeks in a row now.

In Turner and Charles, you probably still have two top 10 RB's. Look at the rest of Charles schedule, and what he did in the last 8 games of 2009. The guy can be as good as anyone in any given week, even if his touches are stupidly limited. I think they will increase though. Michael Turner can score multiple touchdowns in any given week. It's not like your RB's are bad. If Charles and Turner give you anything close to AP and Foster in a given week, and the rest of your roster is better, you can easily beat this team. Don't take unncessary risks. Who are you going to trade for at RB to "upgrade" from Charles and Turner? There aren't too many guys ahead of them, if any, besides AP and Foster.

You're fine man...don't sweat it too much. I own Foster in both my leagues, and Charles in one league. I'm actually banking on Jamaal being huge the second half....he has very nice matchups. Contrast that with Foster who has a difficult sked after this week....TENx2, NYJ, BAL, PHI....yuck. In the league where I have Foster/Rice....I've been trying to deal for another RB....to no avail. To me, the writing is on the wall that my RBs cannot keep up their current rate of production....at least I don't think Foster can.

So it's not like the other guy is sitting all that pretty. Put your best up against his, and hope everything works out. That's all you can do.

Just sign/start all of his players "counters" like their QB, kicker, defense and it will all work out. :pointstosky:

I'm thinking about trying make an offer for Maurice Jones Drew using Jamal Charles.

Look at MJD during playoff weeks

w14 - Oak

w14 - @ Ind

w15 - Was

JC's playoff schedule

w14 - @ SD

w15 - @ StL

w16 - Ten

I feel like as long as Thomas Jones plays, JC's upside is limited.

In Turner and Charles, you probably still have two top 10 RB's. Look at the rest of Charles schedule, and what he did in the last 8 games of 2009. The guy can be as good as anyone in any given week, even if his touches are stupidly limited. I think they will increase though. Michael Turner can score multiple touchdowns in any given week. It's not like your RB's are bad. If Charles and Turner give you anything close to AP and Foster in a given week, and the rest of your roster is better, you can easily beat this team. Don't take unncessary risks. Who are you going to trade for at RB to "upgrade" from Charles and Turner? There aren't too many guys ahead of them, if any, besides AP and Foster.

I completely agree with this post. Jamaal Charles has nearly as much upside as anyone in the league down the stretch; Turner can hang with AP and Foster with comparable matchups. It never hurts to shop around but I'd stick it out and, if anything, try to deal your bench guys for good playoff depth in case of an injury to your studs (look for high upside sleeper types and consider defensive matchups ahead of time) . Grab Derrick Ward if you have the space so you're ready to knock him out if given the chance.

My strategy is pretty simple...I try and score MORE points than they do.

I usually try to score more points then they do.

I've tried scoring less, but I never win.

And it's really difficult to score the exact same number of points no matter how hard you try.

I never even look at my opponent. THe only thing that can happen is you get a false sense of security if you are playing a weak opponent. One team this year played the weakest team and he said I thought I could beat him without a QB so he kept Eli and Matt Ryan.

Every week, focus on your team, the best available free agents, and you put out your best team every week without hurting your long term team. keep your studs and build around them weekly.

I always try to start the players who I think will score the most in that particular week. I also try to make sure I am improving my team when making a trade. And in the beginning of each year I try to draft the players that I think will score the most in that particular year. I have been pretty successful with this strategy so it is good advice.