Sign in to follow this  
Walter34

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears

So, I'm sitting here watching ESPN this morning for some reason. And Derrek Brooks is picking games. He says the Bears run a D similar to what the Bucs ran during their run. And they used to love teams passing it around, spreading it out. All they have to do is keep them in front and tackle. So he said he's going with Defense...Bears from NFC and Pitt from AFC.

He's going with Defense? Well the Packers defense was better across the board. They had a better pts allowed D, better overall yardage D, better pass D, more ints, more sacks. Only thing the Bears had on D this year is a better rush yards per game D.

The Bears gave more pts up to Seattle at home than GB gave to either the Eagles or the Falcons while being on the road.

Will people wake up and realize who is actually bringing the better D to this game :wacko:

Spin it any way you want. You back the Bears D over the Packers D...you are stupid.

So, I'm sitting here watching ESPN this morning for some reason. And Derrek Brooks is picking games. He says the Bears run a D similar to what the Bucs ran during their run. And they used to love teams passing it around, spreading it out. All they have to do is keep them in front and tackle. So he said he's going with Defense...Bears from NFC and Pitt from AFC.

He's going with Defense? Well the Packers defense was better across the board. They had a better pts allowed D, better overall yardage D, better pass D, more ints, more sacks. Only thing the Bears had on D this year is a better rush yards per game D.

The Bears gave more pts up to Seattle at home than GB gave to either the Eagles or the Falcons while being on the road.

Will people wake up and realize who is actually bringing the better D to this game :wacko:

Spin it any way you want. You back the Bears D over the Packers D...you are stupid.

Your problem is that you listen to ESPN.

Last week one of their "analysts" called tramon williams an average CB.

People please stop watching ESPN, they are a bunch of hacks and they are making you dumber.

Overall yards Pack was better but the Bears D had 33 more plays run against it. Yds per play Bears were 0.1 better.

3 less int's for Bears but 6 more fumbles recovered.

Packers run defense is terrible too. Allowed 2nd most yds per rush on the year. While Bears was excellent.

Both are very good defenses. And the numbers are really too close to say either is better. But whatever makes you happy.............

Overall yards Pack was better but the Bears D had 33 more plays run against it. Yds per play Bears were 0.1 better.

Packers run defense is terrible too. Allowed 2nd most yds per rush on the year. While Bears was excellent.

Both are very good defenses. And the numbers are really too close to say either is better. But whatever makes you happy.............

Tell the Falcons that our run D is terrible.

Its much better with Jenkins back in there. And when they show up to stop the run...they ahve done that (Jets found that out too).

The thing is...GB generally plays a nickel D. You are going to find more running room there (and its usually to the outside as GB is pretty stout up the middle with Raji, Jenkins, and Pickett).

I've no love for either team, totally objective thought here:

* I think the Pack wins: 30 - 20.

* Bears get a late cheap td to make it look closer than it is.

* A Bears win would set the table for an ugly SB - either Jets or Pitts defense would eat Cutler and his offense's lunch.

I've no love for either team, totally objective thought here:

* I think the Pack wins: 30 - 20.

* Bears get a late cheap td to make it look closer than it is.

* A Bears win would set the table for an ugly SB - either Jets or Pitts defense would eat Cutler and his offense's lunch.

Not to nitpick, but I take it you didn't witness the show Jay Cutler put on in the 3rd quarter of that Jets game. Had Devin Hester not let one bounce off of his face downfield, it could have been even prettier. The Jets pass D hasn't really been shutting down QB's at all this year.

Not to nitpick, but I take it you didn't witness the show Jay Cutler put on in the 3rd quarter of that Jets game. Had Devin Hester not let one bounce off of his face downfield, it could have been even prettier. The Jets pass D hasn't really been shutting down QB's at all this year.

I'm not sure what the criteria you would use to measure NY's ability to shut down qb's - but they did rank 6th in the entire NFL in pass defense, the Bears ranked 20th. In terms of total yards, NY ranked 3rd................ But no question that one game was a freak of numbers - nobody expected to see such an offensive explosion. Then again, if you are looking at recent performances, that same Cutler and Bears offense managed all of 3 points against GB, barely amassing over 200 yards of total offense.

You make some decent points. But the Packers out-gained the Bears in both games. In the playoffs the Packers gave up less pts on the road to 2 way better teams...while the Bears gave up 24 to Seattle at home.

The weakness of the Packers D is running and the best part of the Bears D is shutting the run down. Well we are a passing team....and the Bears avg. like 3.9 a carry this year. So I don't think the advantage against the run does as much in this game. The Packers have done well all year while being shut down running the ball. Forte doesn't really scare anyone on the other side either.

Either way the Packers give up around 3 less pts per game. And they make more plays on defense as well. I guess the Bears had less plays ran against them because they don't score as fast...just goes to show the Packers have a better offense and defense. :cheers:

I'm not sure what the criteria you would use to measure NY's ability to shut down qb's - but they did rank 6th in the entire NFL in pass defense, the Bears ranked 20th. In terms of total yards, NY ranked 3rd................ But no question that one game was a freak of numbers - nobody expected to see such an offensive explosion. Then again, if you are looking at recent performances, that same Cutler and Bears offense managed all of 3 points against GB, barely amassing over 200 yards of total offense.

You could also spin that Jets game and say how could Sanchez put up that many pts on a great Bears D? The Packers shut that Jets team out....AT NY. In the end you can take a few off the chart games a year...or we can look at end of the year stats.

In the end the Bears avg. 4 less pts per game on offense. And they are towards the bottom of the league in many categories on offense.

Home field advantage has little to do with it as well. The Packers have been more impressive on the road in the playoffs than the Bears were yesterday vs. the Seahawks at HOME.

Packers D held opponents to 56% comp. Bears D held opponents to a 62% comp.

On offense Packers are 41.5% on 3rd down conversions. Bears are 32.8.

There is no question, if it comes down to QBs making plays...and who's D can stop either QB. Packers have a huge advantage on both offense and defense.

If it is a blizzard and neither QB can throw the ball all that well and it becomes 3 yards and a cloud of dust...Bears have the advantage.

hard for me to pick a clear-cut favorite in this game. rodgers is obviously head-and-shoulders above any player left in the playoffs right now...but will weather be a factor? it's also hard to gauge what will happen based on the regular season. the falcons beat the packers in the regular season...but look what happened saturday. ouch.

i think given the rivalry of these two teams, it's going to be a big-time brawl, a fairly even game, a hotly contested game. the team that plays the better special teams and minimizes the mistakes will be the victor. *if* the bears can't find a way to BOTH put pressure on rodgers AND cover the wrs while doing so, it could be a long day for the bears (as it was for the falcons). but i don't see either of these teams giving anything easy come sunday.

good luck to both. it should be a very fun game.

I heard this is the first time ever that GB and Chi will have met for the NFC Championship - reallly? Wow, I find that hard to believe. Well, I hope for a great game - and some snow.

Packers D held opponents to 56% comp. Bears D held opponents to a 62% comp.

On offense Packers are 41.5% on 3rd down conversions. Bears are 32.8.

There is no question, if it comes down to QBs making plays...and who's D can stop either QB. Packers have a huge advantage on both offense and defense.

If it is a blizzard and neither QB can throw the ball all that well and it becomes 3 yards and a cloud of dust...Bears have the advantage.

early forecast i've seen is for temps in the 20s and light snow...could be a lot worse. i know the upper midwest is slated to get hammered by a big-time deep freeze mid-week but it looks like it will moderate a bit down chi's way by the end of the weekend.

I heard this is the first time ever that GB and Chi will have met for the NFC Championship - reallly? Wow, I find that hard to believe. Well, I hope for a great game - and some snow.

and the first time they've met in a playoff game since 1941, which i really found surprising :shocking:

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I remember looking back at their stats after Cutler had done that and came away a little unimpressed because they had allowed nice games to guys like Colt McCoy and Matt Stafford.

And I wouldn't say it was the same Cutler and Bears offense in that game against Green Bay. The Bears haven't had a 2-1 run to pass ratio in any other games recently, including the Jets game where Cutler tossed 3 TD's. In fact, they had called more runs than passes since the bye heading into that game.

and the first time they've met in a playoff game since 1941, which i really found surprising :shocking:

That's the only time they've met in the "playoffs", in what I guess would be considered the first playoff game. Wasn't really a playoff structure back then outside of breaking a divisional tie though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_NFL_season

I am a Packer fan all the way, but I will try and be objective on this post.

I don't think we can look at games in the season as both teams were much different teams back than (Pack wasn't all that good and neither were the bears really). Both Teams have come together and earned there spot here. Offensively I don't think anyone has a doubt our team is better especially now that we have a little bit of a running game. Our top 3 wrs are probably better than Bears top WR. With that said, Forte is better at this time than anyone we have. Defensively our D's are fairly equal with us having the better secondary and them having better front 7. Special teams goes to the bears.

Packers are the kind of team that can blow any team out of the water fast and in many cases force teams to try and air it out against them playing to their strength on defense. There are 3 keys for the Bears if they want to have a chance to win.

1) Special teams has to give them good field position all game

2) They need to rely on the run game to not only move the offense, but keep Packs offense off the field

3) Defense must play one of the best games of the season

I predict a pack victory 31-17 mostly because I don't even think the Bears defense can stop the pack and their confidence right now, but with that said the Bears have always given us fits. Should be a good game as long as Martz doesn't try to go toe to toe in the air with the Pack.

BTW I wouldn't be looking at what the Seahawks scored against the Bears because if I remember correctly they were up 25 mid 3rd quarter most likely playing prevent defense rest of the game. Doesn't mean anything what happened after that in my eyes at least.

Also in regards to the last game of the season week 17, remember I am a huge Packer fan, and even I thought Bears played fairly vanilla in the second half offensively. First half I think both teams played all out, second half the Bears D played all out, but the offense just tried to beat us through the air which really isn't the bears strength.

The other side saying the Pack only scored 10 points so Bears D is that good, the reality is the Packers looked tense that game and played that way throughout the game. This week will be a lot more relaxing especially knowing how they have done on the road against 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFC. You will see a different game from both sides of the ball so quit comparing what happened in any game you have seen so far.

BTW I wouldn't be looking at what the Seahawks scored against the Bears because if I remember correctly they were up 25 mid 3rd quarter most likely playing prevent defense rest of the game. Doesn't mean anything what happened after that in my eyes at least.

Also in regards to the last game of the season week 17, remember I am a huge Packer fan, and even I thought Bears played fairly vanilla in the second half offensively. First half I think both teams played all out, second half the Bears D played all out, but the offense just tried to beat us through the air which really isn't the bears strength.

The other side saying the Pack only scored 10 points so Bears D is that good, the reality is the Packers looked tense that game and played that way throughout the game. This week will be a lot more relaxing especially knowing how they have done on the road against 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFC. You will see a different game from both sides of the ball so quit comparing what happened in any game you have seen so far.

no other game is relevant to this one coming up. with what's at stake--and the history of this matchup--i fully expect each team to bring its A game and leave it all on the field. which is the way it should be. this is one of the better nfc championship matchups in years. classic.

here's to an injury free--but each team knocking the frozen snot out of each other--game.

some day you packer and bear fans will have to teach us lion fans what it's like to be involved in such a game :cheers:

no other game is relevant to this one coming up. with what's at stake--and the history of this matchup--i fully expect each team to bring its A game and leave it all on the field. which is the way it should be. this is one of the better nfc championship matchups in years. classic.

here's to an injury free--but each team knocking the frozen snot out of each other--game.

some day you packer and bear fans will have to teach us lion fans what it's like to be involved in such a game :cheers:

First step... Get rid of the whimpy dome :)

Since we're posting stats here's a postseason one not mentioned yet........

The Bears are averaging more total offense and passing yards than the Packers. :first:

Just wanted to get that out there since for the rest of the decade with a healthy Rodgers I don't foresee it ever being the case again.

But GB was up 28 in the 3rd and only gave up 7 points the rest of the way while scoring 6. That is what you should be concerned with.

Since we're posting stats here's a postseason one not mentioned yet........

The Bears are averaging more total offense and passing yards than the Packers. :first:

Just wanted to get that out there since for the rest of the decade with a healthy Rodgers I don't foresee it ever being the case again.

Averaging? You all played one game against the freaking Seahawks.

Averaging? You all played one game against the freaking Seahawks.

I very painfully quantified it with my ending statement and you still complain about it ???? :mad: :mad:

Yes..........you only have to win one game to get here when you are the better team on the year and win the division. :cheers:

I very painfully quantified it with my ending statement and you still complain about it ???? :mad: :mad:

Yes..........you only have to win one game to get here when you are the better team on the year and win the division. :cheers:

You had the better record on the year...but I don't believe you were the better team.

You had the better record on the year...but I don't believe you were the better team.

Definitions of denial:

- the act of refusing to comply (as with a request); "it resulted in a complete denial of his privileges"

- the act of asserting that something alleged is not true

- (psychiatry) a defense mechanism that denies painful thoughts

- abnegation: renunciation of your own interests in favor of the interests of others

- Bears/Packers split the regular season, Bears #2 seed, Packers #6 seed...denying the fact Bears are the better team when standings prove otherwise :music_guitarred:

something crazy i just read (don't know if it's true): if the lions had won in week 1 against the bears (the infamous cj no catch), the bears would not have made the playoffs at all: the packers would have won the division and the giants would have been the other wildcard.

:shocking:

of course, the lions would have still missed the playoffs--unless they were in the nfcw :overhead:

something crazy i just read (don't know if it's true): if the lions had won in week 1 against the bears (the infamous cj no catch), the bears would not have made the playoffs at all: the packers would have won the division and the giants would have been the other wildcard.

:shocking:

of course, the lions would have still missed the playoffs--unless they were in the nfcw :overhead:

If ands and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas!

If the Bears would have acutally tried week #17, the Packers wouldn't even be in the playoffs. But the Bears were smart, they threw the game, knowing the Packers would end up going to, and beating Atlanta, making sure the NFC Championship Game would bring the Packers to Chicago...brilliant! (I know, Bears managament and brillaince are oxymorons, but I BELIEVE this is the year)! :cheers:

Definitions of denial:

- the act of refusing to comply (as with a request); "it resulted in a complete denial of his privileges"

- the act of asserting that something alleged is not true

- (psychiatry) a defense mechanism that denies painful thoughts

- abnegation: renunciation of your own interests in favor of the interests of others

- Bears/Packers split the regular season, Bears #2 seed, Packers #6 seed...denying the fact Bears are the better team when standings prove otherwise :music_guitarred:

They split the regular season seems to show they are a very similar team doesn't it?

But your logic is not shocking given the posts you have had to this point over the last few days.

If the Bears would have acutally tried week #17, the Packers wouldn't even be in the playoffs. But the Bears were smart, they threw the game, knowing the Packers would end up going to, and beating Atlanta, making sure the NFC Championship Game would bring the Packers to Chicago...brilliant! (I know, Bears managament and brillaince are oxymorons, but I BELIEVE this is the year)! :cheers:

Talk about denial...you still think the Bears didn't try in week 17.

I like how a team throws a game by playing all of their starters and letting their QB get sacked 6 times. Genius I tell you.

Talk about denial...you still think the Bears didn't try in week 17.

I like how a team throws a game by playing all of their starters and letting their QB get sacked 6 times. Genius I tell you.

Let's just say, I hope the Packers think the Bears offensive game plan will be the same! You really think they showed the Packers anything??? You're not that..oh wait, you're in denial...nevermind!

Was thinking about bringing some cowbells this week, but I'm afraid that might make the Packers players feel at home.

It might distract them.... thinking their wives/girlfriends might be grazing nearby.....

Tell the Falcons that our run D is terrible.

Its much better with Jenkins back in there. And when they show up to stop the run...they ahve done that (Jets found that out too).

The thing is...GB generally plays a nickel D. You are going to find more running room there (and its usually to the outside as GB is pretty stout up the middle with Raji, Jenkins, and Pickett).

HAHAHA!!!! Going off on how well the Pack did against the Birds running game are ye??

Well, for about the last 8 games of the season, the Bird Running game has been terrible. In fact, it went from one of the most efficient in the league, to dead last over the last eight games of the season per DVOA at Football Outsiders:

http://footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2011/2010-nfc-divisional-round-preview

You actually believe the Bears went easy on the Packers in week 17? These teams hate each other and always play the best they can against each other - regardless if the game means anything in the standings or not. This was evident in the fact that the Bears played the starters every down instead of sitting them.

Sure they can change of their offense this go around, but if you ask me who is better at making adjustments on a game to game basis... MacCarthy has shown much more flexibility than "keep passing when you are up by 20" Martz...

This game probably will be a close game, but if the Packers go to Soldier Field and embarrass the Bear, I would not be surprised.

Let's just say, I hope the Packers think the Bears offensive game plan will be the same! You really think they showed the Packers anything??? You're not that..oh wait, you're in denial...nevermind!

An entire season has been played, what the heck is there left for the Bears to "show"? You think Martz and Smith have some super-double-top-secret Annexation of Ecuador game plan they have been saving all year for just in case they make the playoffs and face the Packers? :rolleyes:

If Mr. Urlacher says the Bears weren't really trying the last game, who are we not to take him at his word????

Never mind that professionals athletes who are that big, and are that fast and talented get hurt when they go at it half-speed.... And Cutler was getting his poor head taken off play after play after play in the second half.... Do you think he wanted to be playing in that game when the offensive line was not really trying? And how smart is that to play the starters the whole game when you aren't trying? You are just inviting massive injuries.... For what? If you're not trying, you don't want to win.... Why play the starters the whole game?

And forget about the millions and millions of dollars tied into every players contracts for individual performances bonuses, why would you try against your most-hated rival, the one you've prepared for about 65 hours that week? I'm not even mentioning the potential millions of dollars lost in free agent contracts and extensions for Bear players... literally millions of more dollars on the line with millions of fans, scouts, and GM's around the nation watching you “not try” against your heated rival and thereby diminishing yourselves not only as a player, but as a man...

A long time ago a 9-year-old brother of mine lost a particularly heated and close basketball game to me in the alley in the mean streets of Sheboygan... After the game, with a red face, a sweat-soaked, torn shirt, and heaving uncontrollably to catch his breath, this brother of mine insunated that HE -- like the professional football team the CHICAGO BEARS -- wasn't really trying.... and further.....that if perhaps he did try, the outcome would have been different!

Urlacher and nine-year-old brother Steve – Today, we salute you both for having the discipline “not to try” when everything and everybody in the world – your pride, your livelihood, your hatred of losing to your rival, your honor as an athlete – was pointing towards you trying... :cheers:

Do I think it will be the same?

No, I don't think the Packers Offensive and Defensive game plan will be just the same either.

Im not in denial...the guy who can't admit that having your starters in the whole game and having your QB continually getting hit is not a sign that you are not trying.

But keep believing it if you want to.