Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Eagles promote OL coach to defensive coordinator

Juan Castillo has a great reputation but I still don't get this move. :dunno:

You may question the move and I have absolutely no opinion on your new OC, but your new o-line coach is as good as it gets. Howard Mudd was the Colts o-line coach for at least the last 12 years (prior to his retirement after the Super Bowl last year) and as far as I know is widely considered as good as it gets. I would give anything to have him back, especially with the way we ran (or didnt run) the ball this year.

Good move by the Iggles.

You may question the move and I have absolutely no opinion on your new OC, but your new o-line coach is as good as it gets. Howard Mudd was the Colts o-line coach for at least the last 12 years (prior to his retirement after the Super Bowl last year) and as far as I know is widely considered as good as it gets. I would give anything to have him back, especially with the way we ran (or didnt run) the ball this year.

Good move by the Iggles.

He isn't the new Offensive Coordinator, he's the new DEFENSIVE coordinator.

Going from coaching the offensive line to the defense is a strange move. :unsure:

Its a little odd. Especially since Reid is more of an offensive coach. I could see a defensive guy like Belichick or Tomlin molding a guy like Castillo into a good defensive coordinator.

I can't wrap my brain around this.

Panic move I guess

:thumbsdown:

Is it an exciting time to be an Eagle's fan?

Always :pointstosky:

Oh wait.....I didn't follow protocol

Leave this thread alone, our team is awesome.

The refs cheated us

Richter scale

blah, blah, fuckingblah

Always :pointstosky:

Oh wait.....I didn't follow protocol

Leave this thread alone, our team is awesome.

The refs cheated us

Richter scale

blah, blah, fuckingblah

:lol:

More information on Juan Castillo.

It gives me a little bit better feel for the move.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Who-is-Juan-Castillo.html

There's no doubt; when the Eagles named Juan Castillo as their new defensive coordinator, it sent shock waves through Eagles nation and even the NFL coaching community. However, players and coaches who have worked directly with Juan quickly understood the move by Andy Reid. You see, Juan is a very special unique breed of coach. He is as tough as they come both mentally and physically, he’s a teacher and could be the hardest working coach in the NFL. People who know him know that he’s always been a defensive guy at heart.

When I first transferred to Texas A&I University in the spring of 1982, I realized that I was in for a type of football I wasn't quite use to at Millersville University in Pennsylvania. My new teammates were bigger, stronger, faster and really rough around the edges. They were bred to play football and most of them were just downright nasty, especially the defensive guys.

I first met Juan in the weight room, which back then looked more like a scene out of a Rocky movie then a college weight room. He told me he was training to play in the NFL even though he went undrafted the previous year. He also just became a grad assistant who was coaching the linebackers. After a brief conversation he politely and enthusiastically asked me if I wanted to fight him in the weight room. I said: "No! I don’t want to fight you." His professorial type reply was, (as he was getting the boxing gloves) "it’ll make you tough, its good training, and we used to do it here in the weight room all the time." When I turned him down he then hung out at the doorway looking for any takers to go a few rounds with him.

I did eventually get in a scuffle with Juan a few weeks later during spring ball after one of his linebackers blindsided me while I was going across the middle for a pass. I bounced up and went after the LB when Juan stepped in to take me on, we went at it, me in full gear and him wearing a whistle; we eventually got separated and it was business as usual. As I went back to the huddle I remember Juan yelling at the offense "the field belongs to the defense and you are going to get hit and pay the price if you come over here". That’s the Juan I know; a defensive guy at heart who loves to fight, hit, train and intimidate. That's who he really is and always will be. He belongs on defense.

Hard working and determined

Juan's years at A&I were spent doing 3 things; going to school, coaching and training. When the USFL went into full swing in 1985 Juan was determined to play. We would hear him running bleachers at midnight by himself from our dorm next to the stadium. He had the key to the weight room and would be in there at 5am punishing himself. On top of graduate school and training he still found time to drill his linebackers for hours on end as well. I don't think the guy ever slept.

In his early days with the Eagles, he used to make sure that he was always the first coach to the office and the last to leave. It practically became a contest between him and Jon Gruden. They both eventually would end up sleeping at the Vet.

A Fundamentalist

Regardless of whatever position Juan coached, he has and still does emphasize fundamentals. I have represented 4 players who Juan coached in college (including Jermane Mayberry and Jorge Diaz) and they said they never been drilled in fundamentals the way Juan drilled them. The good news for Eagles' defense is that they will most likely end up being the most disciplined unit in the league after Juan gets through with them. He will instruct his position coaches to get back to sound tackling and basic drills which has always been the core of his coaching philosophy.

You probably didn't know

Even though Juan coached the Offensive line for 13 seasons, he was also a fixture in the defensive meetings of Jimmy Johnson, Leslie Frazier and Ron Rivera. He once told me that if he understood how the best defensive minds planned and strategized, he could better prepare his offense. Those same great defenses coaches would then pick Juan's brain about how he would scheme and block their defense.

Teacher and teammate

One of the biggest disconnects in pro coaching is the ability for NFL coaches to teach and communicate. Unfortunately, many coaches lack this ever so important trait. While many NFL coaches don't put in the time to teach fundamentals anymore, nor be patient with young players and are quick to give up on a guy after one bad game, Juan is the opposite of all these. He's a patient teacher who possesses the ability to communicate with the 1st round star and the undrafted free agent and even treat both as equals.

The fact Juan is well liked and respected by the players will give him the ability to get the most out of them and get them playing to their full potential. Former Eagles center Hank Fraley once told me that; "he owes his whole NFL career to Juan because he made me better than I ever knew I could be".

Relax bird fans

Our family had season tickets to the Eagles for 20 years and we grew up bleeding green. So I’m sure the bird faithful are skeptical about this move by Andy. But trust me, there is no need to panic. Juan truly represents the fighting Philly spirit that is the DNA of their fans. He's a self-made, hard-working blue collar guy who will find a way to win. The D is in good hands if it reflects the work ethic and fight of their new coordinator.

One additional note. The Eagles landed two of the best trenchmen in the business, DL coach Jim Washburn and OL coach Howard Mudd. Also keep in mind that John Harbaugh went from special teams coach to defensive backs coach with much success. So give Juan a chance and I am certain you will see the Eagles made a great move.

Maybe this is why the eagles are struggling? :dunno:

Maybe this is why the eagles are struggling? :dunno:

Great bump Med. :lol:

Also, ironically our o-line and our D are the two biggest problems. :wall:

I was listening to a lot of sports radio today, and one thimg is for certain is everyone in this metropolitan area wants Andy Reid's head on a platter, including all the Philly sports writers and analysts, much more than ever before. It's a movement. Now all the players are rallying around him. Jason Avant (why the FOCK not Vick? god I hate him) called a team-only meeting today with the sole purpose of trying to get the team to rally to save Reid's job. There was also a lot of talk about people boycotting the first quarter of the game this week or potentially not purchasing anything at the stadium to send a message to Lurie that we want Reid gone. Of course that isn't going to happen, but it seems like things are getting dire for Reid. This city ran McNabb out of town. I think Reid's days are numbered unless he wins five straight here. Juan Castillo is hands down his worst move to date. He's lost control of his ego and he needs to go.

Published Wed Oct 12 9:12:43 p.m. CT 2011

(KFFL) Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick supported head coach Andy Reid publicly Wednesday, Oct. 12. "I know it's not Coach's fault," Vick said of the team's 1-4 start. "It's not Coach's fault. Coach can't go out and hold onto the ball. Coach can't throw the ball down the field. Can't go out there and do it, he can only give us what we need. The recipe for victory and that's what we need."

I commend Vick for saying what he said today...

HOWEVER.....

It's clear that it is the coaching. Coaching goes far beyond just X's and O's. For the actual eagles fans, when have we seen Reid in someones face after a boneheaded play? When has Castillo been shown huddling the defense on the sidelines and putting the fear of god in them? It doesn't happen. This team has no drive.

Vince Young said the stupid quote...but watching these guys playing, it shows that everyone believed it would be that easy. From Lurie all the way down to Juqua Parker down to Ronnie Brown. Every team in the NFL wants these guys' heads on a platter and they're getting it.

Published Wed Oct 12 9:12:43 p.m. CT 2011

(KFFL) Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick supported head coach Andy Reid publicly Wednesday, Oct. 12. "I know it's not Coach's fault," Vick said of the team's 1-4 start. "It's not Coach's fault. Coach can't go out and hold onto the ball. Coach can't throw the ball down the field. Can't go out there and do it, he can only give us what we need. The recipe for victory and that's what we need."

However, Coach can make really really bad draft choices for 10 years requiring the team to have to go out an try to buy talent on the open market and try to hodgepodge them into a gameplan if he even has one. Coach can then take a guy who's only experience with coaching a defense was at a high school in 1989 and make him your defensive coordinator rendering the multi-million dollar of hodgepodge you went out and bought useless because he has no focking idea what to do with them. Coach can also determine that certain positions are not necessary while making personnel decisions like not having any LBs and completely ignoring the o-line after you signed a $100 million contract with your QB clearly not giving a rat's ass about protecting him. Coach can also ignore these not-so-necessary positions and sign people like Steve Smith for $3 million and not use him at all in your offense because he didn't need him or Coach can buy someone like Ronnie Brown who sucks when maybe Coach could have tried to find a mediocre MLB.

Coach needs to go.

Their problem is that stupid wide-9 defense they play with linebackers that are allergic to tackling.

Their problem is that stupid wide-9 defense they play with linebackers that are allergic to tackling.

JUAN CASTILLO! :mad:

He also has Nhambi completely out of his element. And he keeps switching up the gameplan every other week trying to find something that works. He doesn't know what he is doing. BECAUSE HE IS AN O-LINE COACH. :mad:

Realllly.... what has Andy Reid ever done? He knows absolutely nothing about football

Bring back Ray Rhodes!!!! :pointstosky:

JUAN CASTILLO! :mad:

He also has Nhambi completely out of his element. And he keeps switching up the gameplan every other week trying to find something that works. He doesn't know what he is doing. BECAUSE HE IS AN O-LINE COACH. :mad:

Castillo is a problem, but the ultimate fault lies with Reid. Reid hired the wide 9 guru and a DB guru, and would plug them into the system, thinking interceptions aplenty. BIG F-ING PROBLEM was noone bothered to look at the personnel needed to run a wide 9 system (see nobody's right on post). I'm not defending Castillo, but that is "Coach's" problem.

Realllly.... what has Andy Reid ever done? He knows absolutely nothing about football

Bring back Ray Rhodes!!!! :pointstosky:

RAY RHODES?!?!?!?!?!?

BRING BACK RICH KOTITE!!!!!!!!! :first: :cheers:

:ninja: :wacko:

Castillo is a problem, but the ultimate fault lies with Reid. Reid hired the wide 9 guru and a DB guru, and would plug them into the system, thinking interceptions aplenty. BIG F-ING PROBLEM was noone bothered to look at the personnel needed to run a wide 9 system (see nobody's right on post). I'm not defending Castillo, but that is "Coach's" problem.

Dude. I think it's pretty apparent I am blaming Reid for this whole mess. If he had a real DC they may be able to determine that they couldn't do what they wanted to do. Wide 9 is an effing joke. But Castillo is an O-Line coach. And Reid put him in the DC position.

Coach needs to go.

RAY RHODES?!?!?!?!?!?

BRING BACK RICH KOTITE!!!!!!!!! :first: :cheers:

:ninja: :wacko:

Cowher!!!!! :pointstosky:

Fock... even Gruden would be an improvement over this situation...

Dude. I think it's pretty apparent I am blaming Reid for this whole mess. If he had a real DC they may be able to determine that they couldn't do what they wanted to do. Wide 9 is an effing joke. But Castillo is an O-Line coach. And Reid put him in the DC position.

Coach needs to go.

I will reserve my beer-clanking icon until Coach is gone, but I think we agree!

Cowher!!!!! :pointstosky:

Fock... even Gruden would be an improvement over this situation...

I'm rooting for a Jeff Fisher hire, just so I can watch one more Fisher/V.Y. pillowfight. :lol:

Read this week that they tried to hire Eric Mangenius as a Defensive Consultant and he turned them down.

They have no clue what they're doing right now and are slamming the panic button.

Offense.

Defense.

IS it really that different.

:banana:

My question is, why would the OL coach agree to do it.

I'd have been like, "Uh, but I'm an offensive line coach. You sure you've got the right guy on the phone right now. Wrong number?".

Honestly, I don't blame Castillo. He hasn't been good, but the team gave him a terrible LB corps and they're practically holding auditions for a starting role at safety. Where he's f'd up is in running a lot of zone with minimal blitzing, which doesn't play to the personnel's strengths at all. And for the record the wide 9 is Jim Washburn's, and while it sucks against the run it has given the team a four man pass rush for the first time in years. I'd be rougher on Castillo, except that he inherited a bad D with 6-7 new starters in a shortened offseason. This experiment is all on Andy Reid. The offense turning the ball over 15 times in the past four games surely hasn't helped, either..