Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Who helped who's career more - Dr. Dre or Eminem?

Granted without Dre giving Em a chance there might not of ever been a Eminem.

But who has done more for who?

Eminem is maybe the most successful rapper ever at least commercially along with Jay-Z. But Dre is maybe the best rap producer ever - Coming up in the first real gangster rap group NWA ( after world class wrecking crew ) then Basically making Death Row a super label by finding Snoop and the chronic album ( after he left Death row it crumbled - though 2Pac's death had its effect as well maybe moreso ) - went onto do create aftermath - and found Em and aftermath exploded - then he or em found 50cent and got even bigger.

Em - I think every album he has done at 1 point at least has hit #1

Some people say that Em made Dre the "best" rap producer out there by being so successful and ressurected his career. Some say becasue of Dre's guidance Em stayed on the right path musically and stayed on top.

so who did more for who

are you on some crack or what?

dre's career was bigger before eminem.

eminem didn't help dre do anything.

maybe YOU didn't know about dre before enimen but....your question is absurd.

maybe you never heard of NWA?

hmm....what about The Chronic or this little known rapper named Snoop Dogg?

maybe you need to explain how eminem helped dre cause i don't see it at all.

are you on some crack or what?

dre's career was bigger before eminem.

eminem didn't help dre do anything.

maybe YOU didn't know about dre before enimen but....your question is absurd.

maybe you never heard of NWA?

hmm....what about The Chronic or this little known rapper named Snoop Dogg?

maybe you need to explain how eminem helped dre cause i don't see it at all.

you just bolded 3 things Moz mentioned in his post? :wacko:

i think its a good question if you are a rap fan.

the question was not who made who. Dre had a wildly successful career before Eminem, but the question was who HELPED whose career more. I think Em was a big part of the success of Aftermath after Dre left Death Row. Actually, there is really no denying that.

Then again, Dre signed Em and jumpstarted his career. But im pretty confident Eminem would have still made it, even somewhere else at some point.

no dre = no eminem......cant be said the other way around.

you just bolded 3 things Moz mentioned in his post? :wacko:

i think its a good question if you are a rap fan.

the question was not who made who. Dre had a wildly successful career before Eminem, but the question was who HELPED whose career more. I think Em was a big part of the success of Aftermath after Dre left Death Row. Actually, there is really no denying that.

Then again, Dre signed Em and jumpstarted his career. But im pretty confident Eminem would have still made it, even somewhere else at some point.

Dre - started Aftermath in late 96 or early 97 ( not certain ) He put out 1 album that had marginal success in 97 under aftermath - then nothing he nearly fell off the map. He signs em in 99 and he ends up making Dre bigger than he ever was as unlike Death row where he was a minority owner ( Suge owned Death row really and always did ). Em has made Dre more money than all his other finds or hits put together an always stayed loyal to him.

From a pop culture perspective, the Chronic and Doggystyle were a much bigger deal than any Eminem's work.

You had to know every line from the Chronic and Doggystyle to be cool or relevant. Eminem just sold massively.

I don't understand the question because I too don't get how it is close.

What Dre did for Em - found him, gave a white rapper a legit shot in the business, produced many of his first hits, gave him credibility..

What Em did for Dre - um, sold a bunch to which Dre made more money. Dre was big enough before Em. Perhaps one of the biggest names in Hip-Hop. Now Em continues to kiss his ass on crappy songs like "I need a doctor". Dre is now irrelevant...he pushed Detox back what? 7 years? To the point no one really cared if it came out or not.

Also, Ems music now sucks. Dre has nothing as far as coming out with albums. And Dre is by no means the best producer ever. So they both can sit in their cash and continue to become the suck.

He put out 1 album that had marginal success in 97 under aftermath - then nothing he nearly fell off the map.

He put out "2001" which was far from marginal success. Unless of course you count year ending 5th on the top 200 and 1st on the hip-hop/R&B, selling 6 mill in the U.S., positive reviews, and said to be one of the better hip-hop alumbs of that era. But I guess we all don't define marginal success the same.

Also Dre has never been a rapper first. He is a producer and owns a record company. He has had 3 solo albums in about 20 years. So he never really fell off. He just rarely puts out albums.

He put out "2001" which was far from marginal success. Unless of course you count year ending 5th on the top 200 and 1st on the hip-hop/R&B, selling 6 mill in the U.S., positive reviews, and said to be one of the better hip-hop alumbs of that era. But I guess we all don't define marginal success the same.

Also Dre has never been a rapper first. He is a producer and owns a record company. He has had 3 solo albums in about 20 years. So he never really fell off. He just rarely puts out albums.

ummm I think 01 comes after end of 99. His 2001 album's biggest hit was the one that featured Em. Also Em's solo album came out before 2001. so ??? When I said fell off he had no talent under aftermath until he signed Em.

ummm I think 01 comes after end of 99. His 2001 album's biggest hit was the one that featured Em. Also Em's solo album came out before 2001. so ??? When I said fell off he had no talent under aftermath until he signed Em.

I don't see where you are saying he had an album in 1997? That had marginal success? It was in 1999 and it had great success.

That was the point.

You are right he didn't have much talent before Em. But a guys first attempt at runninga record company...3 years in...how many star artists is he supposed to have? The Firm released an alubum under Aftermath in 1997 that went platinum. So he did have a very successful album under Aftermath before Em came along.

Then Dre went on to find 50 Cent, in which he sold many albums under Aftermath. It is more a testimate to Dre's talent scouting, and being abel to identify sellable artists. Em came along and was/is a top artist. But Dre found him and now they are basically doing their own things. Dre was at the top of the game 7..10...12 years before Eminem came along. He has had much success after Em started doing his own thing under Shady Records...and today is still relevant as a producer.

Em has helped sell records. But Dre has sold many without him on his own albums, and many from guys like 50 Cent and others.

If you are talking about that oine album to open up his company...it still went platinum and wasn't even a Dre record. It sucked. But Dre prduced only half the songs and wasn't performing in very many songs. It was an Aftermath album, off just starting a company with a limited team.

I don't see where you are saying he had an album in 1997? That had marginal success? It was in 1999 and it had great success.

That was the point.

You are right he didn't have much talent before Em. But a guys first attempt at runninga record company...3 years in...how many star artists is he supposed to have? The Firm released an alubum under Aftermath in 1997 that went platinum. So he did have a very successful album under Aftermath before Em came along.

Then Dre went on to find 50 Cent, in which he sold many albums under Aftermath. It is more a testimate to Dre's talent scouting, and being abel to identify sellable artists. Em came along and was/is a top artist. But Dre found him and now they are basically doing their own things. Dre was at the top of the game 7..10...12 years before Eminem came along. He has had much success after Em started doing his own thing under Shady Records...and today is still relevant as a producer.

Em has helped sell records. But Dre has sold many without him on his own albums, and many from guys like 50 Cent and others.

If you are talking about that oine album to open up his company...it still went platinum and wasn't even a Dre record. It sucked. But Dre prduced only half the songs and wasn't performing in very many songs. It was an Aftermath album, off just starting a company with a limited team.

actually Em found 50cent DRe found Game.

Not doubting Dre and all his success with NWA and Death Row - bringing up Snoop et all. But Em has made him bigger than all of that combined at least finacially. Name 1 rapper ever thats a bigger draw than Em except maybe Jay Z - aside from a miracle and 2pac being ressurected.

Not taking anything thing away from Dre just think both have been basically equally important to each other.

actually Em found 50cent DRe found Game.

Not doubting Dre and all his success with NWA and Death Row - bringing up Snoop et all. But Em has made him bigger than all of that combined at least finacially. Name 1 rapper ever thats a bigger draw than Em except maybe Jay Z - aside from a miracle and 2pac being ressurected.

Not taking anything thing away from Dre just think both have been basically equally important to each other.

i was going to mention that Dre did not discover 50 Cent, Eminem did.

which is why i go back to the point that clearly Dre began Em's career by giving him a chance (i still say it would have happened eventually, but its easy to say "oh, no one else would have given a white boy a chance") but Em and 50 Cent were extremely crucial to the success of Aftermath.

You've got to give Em credit for overcoming his racial handicap.

thats two people I wish were dead. Don't even get me started on 50 cent. SERIOUSLY :mad:

Dre & Snoop > Eminem

lol

Beastie Boys and House of Pain were doing in long before Eminem.

You've got to give Em credit for overcoming his racial handicap.

He became so popular because he resonated with white suburban america.

I like rap but I don't get the appeal. Em has no flow at all.

teenage suburnan yoooths like it. Their moms spend $17 on crappy cds.

eminem is great. and im not just saying that because im white. he has had moments where he sucked, when his songs were over the top goofy or just plain shitty (just lose it). but Em has plenty of flow. Much more "flow" than alot of current rappers or hip hop arists. then again, i view Eminem as an actual rapper not one of these singy, ultra produced guys like B.o.B.

the i need a doctor song is bad though.

i think one of em's best songs or verses is something recent... his part in "No Love" with lil wayne (who is not that great i might add). you can skip to 2:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ssT8lzj8

you know who was a god awful rapper? since we are on a topic involving Em and 50 Cent.... the Game.... focking AWFUL.

every other word he rhymed was "UH"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH34kMOjmQk

you know who was a god awful rapper? since we are on a topic involving Em and 50 Cent.... the Game.... focking AWFUL.

every other word he rhymed was "UH"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH34kMOjmQk

Then he goes and turns on 50cent and basically dissapears LOL

my daughter loooves eminem and we're from the hood.

i had to buy the clean version of his cd's for her.

everyone liked eminem, his whiteness was never a flaw it added to his appeal, like justin timberlake-they're even more cool.

(although i'd argue that justin timberlake is part black whether he knows it or not)

my daughter loooves eminem and we're from the hood.

i had to buy the clean version of his cd's for her.

everyone liked eminem, his whiteness was never a flaw it added to his appeal, like justin timberlake-they're even more cool.

thats wonderful, is this a retort to my point? I think eminem is pretty decent for what he tries to be and his has a pretty big number of catchy songs...MDC said he overcame his whiteness, where I don't think it hindered him, and perhaps helped him. Seems you suggested that.

thats wonderful, is this a retort to my point? I think eminem is pretty decent for what he tries to be and his has a pretty big number of catchy songs...MDC said he overcame his whiteness, where I don't think it hindered him, and perhaps helped him. Seems you suggested that.

what does eminem "try to be"?

i think the whiteness hindered his initial foray into rap. there definately is a stigma about white rappers

however after breaking through i think his color helped his appeal alot with suburban youth. however its not like suburban youth is or was his only market. I think he is well respected by all.

what does eminem "try to be"?

i think the whiteness hindered his initial foray into rap. there definately is a stigma about white rappers

however after breaking through i think his color helped his appeal alot with suburban youth. however its not like suburban youth is or was his only market. I think he is well respected by all.

pop rapper. Made for MTV. rap videos were predominantly showing the misbehaving of african americans, guns gangs and hoes. Eminem represented lower class white degeneracy in stark contrast to other media which set the bar, like Roseanne, focus on drugs. Self deprecation was disarming.

And now he is popular because he is your everyday pop star. A Jessica Simpson of sorts. The very people he made fun of to launch his career.

i view Eminem as an actual rapper not one of these singy, ultra produced guys like B.o.B.

Lately he is headed in that very pop direction. Just look at who he featured on his last album that did so well. Pink, Rhianna, Lil Wayne...not sure who else. But he has sold out.

pop rapper. Made for MTV. rap videos were predominantly showing the misbehaving of african americans, guns gangs and hoes. Eminem represented lower class white degeneracy in stark contrast to other media which set the bar, like Roseanne, focus on drugs. Self deprecation was disarming.

its not that i totally disagree with you... just that to say made for MTV, guns gangs and hoes... as opposed to who? exactly.

99% of rap is guns gangs money and hoes.

Lately he is headed in that very pop direction. Just look at who he featured on his last album that did so well. Pink, Rhianna, Lil Wayne...not sure who else. But he has sold out.

he may be trending that way. wasn't always like that and he has had a LONG career.

but when i said i viewed him as an actual rapper, it was a direct response to someone saying he had no flow. I always thought he had one of the best flows from a lyrical standpoint. Much better than the new artists that greatly feel like they are just reciting lyrics someone else wrote to appeal to the masses.

And now he is popular because he is your everyday pop star. A Jessica Simpson of sorts. The very people he made fun of to launch his career.

He always was ... I don't think he ever wanted to be but always has been a pop star since his second album turned mega hit. KInda like a bad guy that gets cheered like a hero in spite of what he says or does.

He always was ... I don't think he ever wanted to be but always has been a pop star since his second album turned mega hit. KInda like a bad guy that gets cheered like a hero in spite of what he says or does.

but the people who call eminem a pop star i bet in the same breath would say snoop wasn't one. :rolleyes: they all become pop stars to some extent as their success builds.

eminem is great. and im not just saying that because im white. he has had moments where he sucked, when his songs were over the top goofy or just plain shitty (just lose it). but Em has plenty of flow. Much more "flow" than alot of current rappers or hip hop arists. then again, i view Eminem as an actual rapper not one of these singy, ultra produced guys like B.o.B.

i think one of em's best songs or verses is something recent... his part in "No Love" with lil wayne (who is not that great i might add). you can skip to 2:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ssT8lzj8

I think, like most commercial rap, Em is total crap. He raps fast but the subject matter is trite and stupid and the rhymes aren't creative.

but the people who call eminem a pop star i bet in the same breath would say snoop wasn't one. :rolleyes: they all become pop stars to some extent as their success builds.

Snoop became a pop star post Death Row / No Limit -- now absolutley he is a pop star as all he seems to do is pop songs. Hell I would say Say snoop is more "pop" then em is right now. Snoops work on The Chronic , the deep cover single with Dre "187" , and of course his first album that blew up --I wouldn't call really pop though - then but is now as the Chronic and Doggystyle are two of the biggest rap albums ever and were the 2 crossover albums that brought that style of rap to the burbs. His second album and everything he did under No Limit sucked...

Rap is for people who are not smart enough to play or learn and instrument.

HTH

Rap is for people who are not smart enough to play or learn and instrument.

HTH

:banana: