Sign in to follow this  
gregzeetheking

Sims-Walker now a Ram....still a bust?

I personally don't care for MSW, but with McDaniels calling the plays, possible #2?

Thoughts on MSW stock and what it does for Bradford.

Adam Schefter

Rams reached agreement with former Jaguars wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker on a one-year deal.

Definitly moves him up on my board. The problem is if he sneezes he gets hurt! If the guy could stay healthy he could be a star!

Already drafted Sims-Walker in my favorite league as my #4 WR. :music_guitarred:

And Danario Alexander as my #5 WR. :banana:

I have my boy Mark Clayton as my #6 WR!

I like hin too but was scared into waiting because of his injury/surgery/ and recovery. Someone else drafted hin then.

The Rams WR situation from a fantasy perspective is a mess. I don't know that there's a single guy you can definitely count on there. MSW just got $1 million and some incentives, so its not like they have big money invested in him. If he doesn't work out, he can be cut painlessly. Clayton isn't even guaranteed to be re-signed by the Rams (he's an unrestricted FA). Danario Alexander still has knee issues and isn't guaranteed to make the team. Donnie Avery is coming back from injury. Amendola is still there. They used 3rd and 4th round picks on Pettis and Salas, both of whom should make the roster...

That's 7 different WRs, so its obvious that not all of them are going to have value (or even make the team). And I didn't even mention Brandon Gibson, Mardy Gilyard, Laurent Robinson....

It's worth picking a guy out of the bunch you like and believe in and taking a flier on him, but I don't know that I'd want to be counting on any of them.

The Rams WR situation from a fantasy perspective is a mess. I don't know that there's a single guy you can definitely count on there. MSW just got $1 million and some incentives, so its not like they have big money invested in him. If he doesn't work out, he can be cut painlessly. Clayton isn't even guaranteed to be re-signed by the Rams (he's an unrestricted FA). Danario Alexander still has knee issues and isn't guaranteed to make the team. Donnie Avery is coming back from injury. Amendola is still there. They used 3rd and 4th round picks on Pettis and Salas, both of whom should make the roster...

That's 7 different WRs, so its obvious that not all of them are going to have value (or even make the team). And I didn't even mention Brandon Gibson, Mardy Gilyard, Laurent Robinson....

It's worth picking a guy out of the bunch you like and believe in and taking a flier on him, but I don't know that I'd want to be counting on any of them.

These are my thoughts exactly :thumbsup:

There has been a lot of talk about Ram WR's potentially being sexy value picks, but I am avoiding the situation entirely. With the addition of MSW, there are now a half dozen guys on that squad that could easily bleed each others production dry. Not buying.

There has been a lot of talk about Ram WR's potentially being sexy value picks, but I am avoiding the situation entirely. With the addition of MSW, there are now a half dozen guys on that squad that could easily bleed each others production dry. Not buying.

Camp will allow the 7 or 8 guys get down top top 4

MSW & Amendola should play

I personally like Gibson

Alexander & Robinson were the last OC favorites

Amendola is this years Wes Welker... You can book that!

dunno about that, but thats who I like most. MSW could be a nice fit if the offence clicks, worth a late round flyer. But I do like amendola to outperform his ADP by a bunch...

Amendola is this years Wes Welker... You can book that!

Who first said this? I think it was Roto on ESPN in the "professional" press. Regardless, I've seen/heard this comment in multiple forums. Each time like it's an original nugget of thought.

I can see it happening for sure. I just think it's funny how everyone tends to grab one little jewel comment like this and runs with it.

Yeah, I think we agree there aren't any sure-fire value picks. However, personally I'm not ignoring the situation completely. I took a flier late in a draft (14th round) on Donnie Avery. There's a decent chance I end up cutting him and he has no value but once you get to that point in the draft, that's true about everyone. You at least want to use those late picks on guys who have upside if things fall right and I think the Rams WRs do at least have upside so I have no problem with people targeting one of them later in a draft.

I think most people agree (or at least those that are targeting Rams WRs) that Bradford is going to be a very good QB in this league. The first big question in my mind though is whether he's more like Manning (in that he has a few guys he throws to a ton) or if he's more like late career Brady (spreads the ball around to a bunch of different WRs/TEs, none of whom have huge value). If the offense ends up being more like the Colts, someone should emerge out of this mess as a true #1 WR who will be an impact guy. If he's more like late career Brady, it could end up being an offense where a bunch of guys have 40-60 catches and nobody is really a big-time fantasy WR.

Who first said this? I think it was Roto on ESPN in the "professional" press. Regardless, I've seen/heard this comment in multiple forums. Each time like it's an original nugget of thought.

I can see it happening for sure. I just think it's funny how everyone tends to grab one little jewel comment like this and runs with it.

I certainly didnt read it anywhere, but it doesnt surprise me that people came to that conclusion. You got McDaniels calling plays, a smart, accurate QB in Bradford, no real deep threats so Bradford should have plenty of check down reads and the guy caught 85 passes last year.

You bet your ass that he will catch 100+ this year barring injury to him or bradford.

This exactly...

And to whichever site called Amendola "This year's Wes Welker"... they're only like a year late with that bold prediction... dude had 123 targets and 85 catches... last year. They're probably calling Arian Foster a sleeper at RB this year if their predictions are that great.

Lets examine the Rams WR corps

1. Amendola - everyones favorite choice so far. Nice year last year...should work the slot and be productive. But I remember when Eddie Royal came off the big year and then didn't get on the field for all offensive sets. I worry about Amendola losing snaps just because of the crowded group.

2. Avery - He says he has his speed back. He's shown some nice flashes in the past....could surprise.

3. Alexander - Big, prototypical type of body. From a talent stand point, he might have the best opportunity to produce.

4. MSW - 1 year deal that doesn't even mean he'll make the starting lineup quite frankly. I'm not sold on his talent being that much more than their current group of guys. I like the signing as he came cheap and provides more competition for a young group.

5. Clayton - When he played last year was the most productive. He's the veteran presence (currently without a deal in place) that has the most trust with his QB. I like him the most, but the coaching staff may not even see a need to roster him with all of this young talent.

6/7. Gibson/Robinson - have shown flashes but never really emerged. These 2 are lowest on my list.

8/9. TE options - Kendricks and Hoomanawanui. I love both these kids but doubt they'll be consistent enough to really stand out. Kendricks is the kid everyones talking about but Hooman is the guy I like.

10. Steven Jackson. Rumors that a guy like Ronnie Brown coming in would hurt Jackson...but he should still have a nice year.

With all of the uncertainty...maybe the guy to own is Sam Bradford. He did show nice development through the year and we've seen what McD can do for an offense. You can reasonably make a case for all of the WR's as fliers so take your pick. There isn't a sure fire bet out of the group but that's why its an interesting situation....

Isaac Bruce en route to Rams camp to work with the wr's, that excites me big time as a rams fan.

I expect at least one of these WRs to have a huge year. Sam Bradford + Josh McDaniels is the reason.

Its sounding to me more and more like Mark Clayton's injury is going to force him out of the equation. Spagnulo said his knee "isn't ready yet" just the other day: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43957711/ns/sports-player_news/

It sounds to me like Amendola and Alexander are the guys to target. Avery might be a nice deep sleeper but he's had his chance before and failed to capitalize.

Doubt Gibson or Robinson make the team. Gilyard will have a hard go of it too, with the rookies Pettis and Salas certainly getting a shot.

I think Walker has the best shot to be a big fantasy player if he stays in shape and gets a starting role, as he's definitely shown the most of any receiver. The short offseason means Amendola definitely has monster-catch upside. To me, he's the safest bet this year. Pettis or Salas could force him lower in the rotation as soon as later this year, and either guy can probably do all right in the slot, but it's tough to see Bradford not leaning on a guy he targeted 120 times last season. If I'm taking late rounds flyers on Rams, I'm doing it in this order:

1. Amendola

2. MSW

3. Danario

4. Avery

5. Salas

6. Pettis

If Clayton does come back, which is sounding less and less likely, he'd probably be in the top 3. Given how many guys they have on the roster now, I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams try to deal someone like Avery (who's had the most success of the prospects so far) to a team like the Ravens or Vikings, who are still looking for a decent #2.

Bradford has the look of a really good NFL QB - maybe not like a Peyton or Brady ( thats tough for anyone to live up to ) - but He has that feel of a budding super star QB. Maybe I am wrong on that but last year he had NOTHING and actually did well considering he had nothing to work with. Hell he made Mark Clayton a solid #3 starter until he too got hurt.

I see the starters as Avery ( if he is ready ) and Simms with Amendola in the slot. Not a great crew but Bradford did decent with alot less last year. If Clayton is healthy he might start and push Avery to the slot as he is more of a playmaker than Amendola.

A healthy Simms as the #1 wr could have a nice season with the best QB he has had or he can get a booboo right away which seems catchy in St Louis

Good info all. I was a sucker for Clayton remembering the crazy chemistry he had with Bradford, so it hurts to hear about the slow injury recovery.

I think there is real value here, this seems like the most probably WR breakout spot. So taking a late round flyer on a couple of these guys is worth it in my opinion.

So what if situation is not clear, thats why most these recievers can be had in the 10th round and later. For depth player your buying a lottery ticket anyways and this situation has all the indications that one of these guys is going to way outperform his ADP.

Hopefully we can get more peeps to chime in that have some insight into how camp is progressing and the WR depth chart. Come aug 20th this will be locked down and one or two of these guys will really rise up in the rankings and ADP. Keep the information flowing. :overhead: