Sign in to follow this  
Natetradomus

Winning a league drafting a QB later than round 8 possible?

Do you think it's possible to have a good fantasy season drafting a QB in round 8 or 9? I normally like to draft a QB by round 5 at the latest. My best fantasy teams have always won with an elite QB - either Brady, P Manning twice and a combo of Eli/Big Ben one year.

This season, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should wait for Stafford and Bradford in rounds 8 and 9. That seems to be where they are falling and mostly as backups. The top QBs this season sorta worry me but not as much as the top rb obviously. With Peyton, you have his neck injury. While he is iron man, you just can't control injuries and he already has a serious one. Vick - you really don't know if he is gonna be healthy and puts a lot of burden on drafting a good backup. Also, you have to draft him pretty high, no later than 2 if you're lucky. Now lower tier top QB, such as Romo and Schuab or M. Ryan can be had late 4th or 5th, but there is also good value at other positions still. My theory so far looking at mocks, is that Stafford and Bradford will not be too far off from a Matt Ryan total numbers. Obviously if Brady falls in the 3rd or Rodgers late in the 2nd and grab them, but chances are you'll be spending a high pick on a top qb when you can be filling in other spots.

Thoughts?

I've won 3 championships since 2005, and every time I've drafted my QB late. In 05, I took Palmer very late, and he blew up that year and ended up being the #1 or 2 QB in my league. Last year I won finding Orton on the WW. I've had my most success filling other positions first.

2 Words: Michael Vick

I won with him last year. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Each has to start a QB. Only about 5-7 qbs are going to be taken early. The reason for this, safety and consistency. They have proven themselves over the years. But, many other QBs could break out. Stafford, Bradford, or maybe someone who is not even on the radar could have a good year. You don't need a top 5 qb to win if the rest of your team is solid.

P.S. Most of this logic goes out the window if passing TDs are worth more than 4 points.

2 Words: Michael Vick

I won with him last year. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Each has to start a QB. Only about 5-7 qbs are going to be taken early. The reason for this, safety and consistency. They have proven themselves over the years. But, many other QBs could break out. Stafford, Bradford, or maybe someone who is not even on the radar could have a good year. You don't need a top 5 qb to win if the rest of your team is solid.

P.S. Most of this logic goes out the window if passing TDs are worth more than 4 points.

Yea standard leagues with 6 points per td.

I guess it's like any other position where you can find waiver wire gold, ala vick or orton. In terms of just drafting though, I'm really starting to think it's best not to get a top elite qb. The advantage is of a top qb is that you know in advance you don't really need a backup, unless you have someone like Vick who is always injured, chances are you could find someone on the waivers for bye weeks. Someone drafted late will make you hold on to a backup qb for a few weeks until you can see if he is gold or not.

8 or 9 might be a little low. i understand waiting and getting freeman and stafford. But any lower and you start getting edged out by the teams with brady/brees/rodgers etc. Now, all this is tossed out if u win the lotto and get the low ranked guy having a magical season, but thats luck u cant rely on.

Draft Bradford and Stafford in back to back late rounds, maybe 7th and 8th and you will be fine. One of them is gonna pop this year and you'll have him. If both pop, you'll have trade bait. Meanwhile you can spend rounds 1-6 drafting Rb's and Wr's while everybody else wastes early picks on Qb's.

I have #1 in a redraft league. So luckily i get back to back picks on the turn. this is my plan.

Id be careful about waiting to long and guys start drafting their backup before you get your starter. That would be a huge mistake. Maybe pick Stafford in the 6th or 7th.

I've done it the past 3 years running (win one of my leagues while drafting a QB after round 8). QB in a normal sized league that starts only one is just such a deep position. Scoring systems will obviously change this some, but waiting until after round 8 is always a possibility. Especially because the decline in QB quality is exponential. There really isn't much difference between the 8th QB selected and the 15th QB selected.

Especially in PPR leagues, I try to be the last team to draft a QB.

Guys come out of the woodwork in these threads to brag about how they waited so long in drafts for a QB or picked up a stud off the WW and won their league. Yep, it happens to a team every 3 years or so that they get lucky, but the odds are against it so why do so many try to dodge that bullet every year?

On a points per game basis, the top 10 QB's will likely be far closer to preseason rankings than RB's and WR's. Most of them you can set your watch to, barring injury. So why are so many guys in a hurry to gamble when statistics strongly show that the QB is your best bet to succeed?

Guys come out of the woodwork in these threads to brag about how they waited so long in drafts for a QB or picked up a stud off the WW and won their league. Yep, it happens to a team every 3 years or so that they get lucky, but the odds are against it so why do so many try to dodge that bullet every year?

On a points per game basis, the top 10 QB's will likely be far closer to preseason rankings than RB's and WR's. Most of them you can set your watch to, barring injury. So why are so many guys in a hurry to gamble when statistics strongly show that the QB is your best bet to succeed?

In my opinion, it has a lot to do with relative scoring for each position. By that I mean that I'm perfectly comfortable rolling with a Schaub/Big Ben later in the draft giving me more opportunity to select higher quality players at the other positions.

The drop-off from the "elite" QBs to Schaub/Big Ben isn't as extreme in my opinion as it is in other positions. Obviously, this doesn't factor in breakout years like Brady/Brees/Manning/Vick have all had, but if any of us could accurately predict those, we'd win our leagues a lot more than most do.

Provided the "early" spot you don't use on a QB is instead used on another position that adds worthwhile depth/stability to your roster, sure you can win with a later QB...

I mean, the difference between the 6th QB (Brady) and 15th QB (Freeman) (per fftoday's stats), is a mere 2.5 ppg... If you're more comfortable using an early spot on RB depth, WR depth, etc, then do it... and grab a QB later.

Further, of those names in the top 15, a handful were late round or FA QB's...

Vick

Orton

Fitzpatrick

Freeman

Basically, as long as your draft is holistically sound, there are a myriad of ways to go about targeting QBs. To each his own.

Provided the "early" spot you don't use on a QB is instead used on another position that adds worthwhile depth/stability to your roster, sure you can win with a later QB...

I mean, the difference between the 6th QB (Brady) and 15th QB (Freeman) (per fftoday's stats), is a mere 2.5 ppg... If you're more comfortable using an early spot on RB depth, WR depth, etc, then do it... and grab a QB later.

Further, of those names in the top 15, a handful were late round or FA QB's...

Vick

Orton

Fitzpatrick

Freeman

Basically, as long as your draft is holistically sound, there are a myriad of ways to go about targeting QBs. To each his own.

I also rode Kitna/Shaun Hill pretty hard last year.

If I can get a Brees/Manning/Rivers/Romo late round 3 or round 4, I'd probably take him. If not, I am going to wait until rounds 7-9. But I will grab my backup qb very shortly there after to hedge my bets. Last year I won my league as I got Cutler in round 8. However, I was lucky to grab Orton on the WW and ride him for awhile.

i personally never draft a qb in the first 6-7 rounds unless someone drastically falls below ADP and they're BPA...at their current ADP's, i think big ben/matt ryan/freeman are a tad bit overvalued, try to get a combo of eli/stafford/bradford/kolb/flacco

Every year in every single draft, I almost never take a QB before the 8th or 9th round unless I feel the value is overwhelming. I would of took Tony Romo in the 6th round in my last draft if he would of fell a few more spots. But besides that, I am ending up with a Josh Freeman, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, etc. I will load up on RB's, WR's, and TE's as long as I possibly can and build my advantage and depth at these positions. The key is to wait as long as possible on QB's before someone starts taking backups. This is where knowing your league is very helpful. It also helps to track every other teams roster so you know what teams have drafted a QB so far and which ones haven't.

I also like to draft my backup QB a round or two later to try to have 2 QB's in the #10-15 range. This way I can play some match ups with my 2 QB's throughout the year. I know I am probably going to give up a few points per week at the QB position, but I have confidence that my RB's, WR's, and TE's will outscore my opponents by more than that. Over the years, this strategy has been pretty successful. I really do not know any other way to draft. I just do not see the relative value in taking a QB early.

I'm a firm believer in waiting for a quarterback until AT LEAST round five. But generally I'll take one in rounds 7-9. EVERY year there are several quarterbacks that outperform their ADP.

Matt Schaub two years ago was a perfect example of a quarterback putting up elite numbers and going very late.

Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted by many in 2007 because Matt Lienart was the "sexy" pick to start.

Josh Freeman last season wasn't supposed to start.

Same with Vick.

Now, having said that, the biggest reason TO DRAFT a quarterback early is positional safety. Having a Drew Brees on your team allows you to wait very late for a backup quarterback. The high floor also benefits you as well. You might not be getting the number one overall quarterback by years end in Brees necessarily...but you also won't be getting the number 15 quarterback either. With someone like Kolb or Cutler, you might be getting someone middle of the pack...or you could luck out and get a potential top 10. There's more risk involved, but clearly, if you strike gold, you get the benefits.

I think this year is a great year to go after the top 7 quarterbacks. Getting Romo in the 4th round this year is a pick that holds good value and a potential top 5 quarterback. And you didn't give up the farm as your team should already have two great backs or receivers and one of the other. Hell even Rivers in the beginning of the third is excellent. Arian Foster, Greg Jennings, and Phillip Rivers looks very tasty as a first three picks.

I usually wait pretty late to draft a QB, but this year I am not. Seems to me that there are 8-9 guys who are worth starting as your QB1 and then a pretty drastic fall-off after that. I don't want to be the guy who is working the wire trying to find a QB all year. Some years I think you can do that but it just doesn't feel right to me this year.

I usually wait pretty late to draft a QB, but this year I am not. Seems to me that there are 8-9 guys who are worth starting as your QB1 and then a pretty drastic fall-off after that. I don't want to be the guy who is working the wire trying to find a QB all year. Some years I think you can do that but it just doesn't feel right to me this year.

Agreed 100%. Something about it just says do it or feel sorry later. Normally I have a list full of potential guys that can be had late, but none of them say QB1 this year. They all seem like backups that can be spot-starters.

I'd feel comfortable if I had 2 of these "late round" QBs (not necessarily round 8 or later). I'd need 2 to hedge my bets.

Jay Cutler

Matthew Stafford

Josh Freeman

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Joe Flacco

Sam Bradford and Kyle Orton are not on that list, but they're close. Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez would scare me.

Even with all that said, if you ended up with Bradford or Kolb, you could still win, but you'd need to do very well in the early rounds and I'm not sure using a 5th on something else instead of Matt Ryan is worth it in the long run if it means you're stuck with a super low tier QB like Kolb or Sanchez.

On the other hand, if you ended up with Stafford and Flacco/Eli in rounds 8 and 9, I'd feel reasonably confident.

I'd feel comfortable if I had 2 of these "late round" QBs (not necessarily round 8 or later). I'd need 2 to hedge my bets.

Jay Cutler

Matthew Stafford

Josh Freeman

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Joe Flacco

Sam Bradford and Kyle Orton are not on that list, but they're close. Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez would scare me.

Even with all that said, if you ended up with Bradford or Kolb, you could still win, but you'd need to do very well in the early rounds and I'm not sure using a 5th on something else instead of Matt Ryan is worth it in the long run if it means you're stuck with a super low tier QB like Kolb or Sanchez.

On the other hand, if you ended up with Stafford and Flacco/Eli in rounds 8 and 9, I'd feel reasonably confident.

I wouldn't include Roethlisberger or Freeman on that list--both of those guys tend to go around round 6. Take those two off the list and it's a pretty sorry group, at least as far as potential QB1s go.

I wouldn't include Roethlisberger or Freeman on that list--both of those guys tend to go around round 6. Take those two off the list and it's a pretty sorry group, at least as far as potential QB1s go.

Do a lot of you play in leagues where people draft a backup QB "early?" Or do people in your leagues just overreact to not having a QB in the 6th round? I guess I just don't understand Freeman or Big Ben going in the 6th round. In my leagues, either teams grab a QB early and take one of the top 6 in the first 3 or 4 rounds, or they wait until much later to draft a QB. Tony Romo usually comes off the board in the 5th or 6th round. Schaub may come off the board in the 6th or 7th. Then the likes of Freeman, Big Ben, Eli, Ryan, etc. come off the board in the 8th round or later. If no one drafts a backup QB early, I will end up with one of them in every draft. So far I got Eli and Freeman in my two drafts. If someone does draft a backup QB early, I can adjust and usually still end up with one of the above. Then I can grab a Cutler, Stafford, Flacco, Bradford as my backup a round or two later.

You can win a league with any strategy as long as you take the right players... I've made the playoffs 7 years running and won the league twice and have only twice used a pick higher than the 8th round on a quarterback. My strategy has always been to grab 2 guys that I'm really high on in the 11-16 tier and play matchups. I will add however that one of those early round quarterback selections was on Tom Brady in his record setting year and that was also one of the two years I won the championship. So you really can win using any strategy.

That said this year I used my late 4th round pick on Tony Romo and don't regret it for a second.

i think you would be more than fine with bradford and stafford in a league that gives 4pts per td. both of those guys are in for big years and they have a good shot to finish top 10. i would even sub Eli with either staff or brad and still be confident going into the year ... he won't throw 25 ints again.

that being said though, i took romo in the 3rd round of my draft last night lol. it's a 6pt per td league and he was the last of the top tier qbs left... schaub went ahead of him.

what i think is the key though, is league size. waiting for a qb works better in a 12 team league than it would in a 10 teammer. having a more stacked lineup at rb and wr matters more in 12 teammers cause there's less probability that you'll find a stud on the waiver wire.

Their ADPs are in the 8th and 9th round, respectively, in 10 teamers. In 12 teamers, their ADP is end of 6th and end of 7th, respectively. It's more than conceivable they're available.

what i think is the key though, is league size. waiting for a qb works better in a 12 team league than it would in a 10 teammer. having a more stacked lineup at rb and wr matters more in 12 teammers cause there's less probability that you'll find a stud on the waiver wire.

I'll take the other side of this argument. Waiting for a QB works better in a 10 teamer because there are only 10 starting QBs drafted, which leaves other's backups (your starters) there for longer. Much more scarcity in a 12 teamer because nobody wants to get stuck with McNabb as a backup.

I'll take the other side of this argument. Waiting for a QB works better in a 10 teamer because there are only 10 starting QBs drafted, which leaves other's backups (your starters) there for longer. Much more scarcity in a 12 teamer because nobody wants to get stuck with McNabb as a backup.

true, but i don't think anyone is taking backup qbs in the 8th round. people usually wait a little longer.

still, i see your point. i was all set on taking bradford last night as my backup to romo, until i saw that they had the same bye week. i was still going to take him because of the value, but he went a couple of picks ahead of me. at that point, i just decided not to take a backup at all. i'm sure mcnabb will be on the waiver wire when i need a bye week fill in.

I am a fan of waiting on QB and drafting one in rounds 7/8. A lot of this strategy depends upon your scoring setup and bench spots. Most my leagues run a bench with 6 spots, thats deep and you can afford to carry a backup QB. In this case you can't wait too long or they other teams start backing up their QB with your starter and your in a lot of trouble. If everyone takes a backup and most do, thats 20-24QB's gone, there just isnt much left on the WW. I am not sure why but a lot of people look to backup their QB relatively early, be aware of this trend if you do decide to wait.

I will say I don't usually backup the big 4 of Brees, Brady, Rivers, Manning until very late. If you took one of these in the first four rounds your playing catchup at RB,WR and cant double up on QB in middle rounds. With one of these stud QB's your backup is never going to come close to replacing the value you lost.

The backup QB becomes more important if you did wait, you will need to grab 2QB's in the 7-10range since you will need to hit on one to stay competitive.

If it all goes wrong you should have an extra RB to offer up as trade bait to the team with 2 QB's performing in the top 10, there is almost always one of these in every league.

In my mind this provides much more flexibility than drafting a QB early.

It can go both ways.

I drafted Rodgers his first year starting late and...I want to even say I drafted Rivers late that year too. I dominated the league. Still lost the championship game, but by far had the best team.

It worked so well for me that year I just kept doing it...never experiencing the same luck, so I continually did about average in my leagues.

I think if you're going to do it, your best bet is draft a guy like staffor or bradford, who may last until the later rounds. Those guys could be had late and have a chance at breaking out. Other guys who last late like Eli, will give you predictable average results.

We'll see. I drafted both "Fords" this afternoon in a standard league. Back to back 8th & 9th rounds.

Do a lot of you play in leagues where people draft a backup QB "early?" Or do people in your leagues just overreact to not having a QB in the 6th round?

Part of my strategy in drafting a QB late is knowing which drafters need to take a QB and which got one early. If you have a middle pick this is easier to do, and if I can see that 2 or 3 teams behind me don't have a QB and we are in the 6th I will tend to jump on 'my guy' earlier than normal, this year that happens to be Roethelisberger.

If I see most of the teams have QB's behind me then I can let it slide to the 7th (I get antsy at this point to get my starting QB on my roster). I have 2 teams where I waited till the 9th just because of the RB/WR value and both are starting Fitzpatrick/Freeman/Garrard in some combo. Not what I had in mind when I waited. Quite a few teams started picking backup QB's in the 7th and 8th rounds, I don't get why they did this so early but it left me with a couple of dicey QB situations.

I am ok with this as in both those leagues I ended up with 4 to 5 starting RB's and I figure I can trade if I really need to, but still the waiting on QB strategy can definitely backfire on you. So far this year it feels like you need to solidify your QB situation by the 7th round or you end up with some pretty weak QB's.

Part of my strategy in drafting a QB late is knowing which drafters need to take a QB and which got one early. If you have a middle pick this is easier to do, and if I can see that 2 or 3 teams behind me don't have a QB and we are in the 6th I will tend to jump on 'my guy' earlier than normal, this year that happens to be Roethelisberger.

If I see most of the teams have QB's behind me then I can let it slide to the 7th (I get antsy at this point to get my starting QB on my roster). I have 2 teams where I waited till the 9th just because of the RB/WR value and both are starting Fitzpatrick/Freeman/Garrard in some combo. Not what I had in mind when I waited. Quite a few teams started picking backup QB's in the 7th and 8th rounds, I don't get why they did this so early but it left me with a couple of dicey QB situations.

I am ok with this as in both those leagues I ended up with 4 to 5 starting RB's and I figure I can trade if I really need to, but still the waiting on QB strategy can definitely backfire on you. So far this year it feels like you need to solidify your QB situation by the 7th round or you end up with some pretty weak QB's.

I tend to do the same thing, but I've gotten my QB in the 8th round or later in both my drafts so far. These are PPR leagues with multiple flex positions and 3 IDP, so there is a premium on RB's and WR's, and some people will start taking IDP's in the middle rounds.

First draft I had 5th pick in a 12 team league. My draft went Charles, MJD, Witten, Bowe, V.Davis, Boldin, Britt, Eli Manning in the 8th round. I did get stuck with Cassel as my backup QB though when a run on backup QB's set off right before my 10th round pick. I hindsight, I wish I grabbed Cutler, Flacco, or Bradford in the 9th round instead of Lance Moore.

My second draft I had 9th pick in a 2 keeper 10 team league. Same PPR format with multiple flex and 3 IDP. McCoy and Fitzgerald were my keepers. My draft went Wayne, Gates, Marshall, Witten, Deangelo Williams, Fred Jackson, and then I got Josh Freeman in essentially the 9th round. I followed up with Flacco in the 11th round.

Again, you have to know your league. I know some people in my league grab QB's early, but many others will wait. I keep track of every other teams rosters so I know which teams have QB's and which ones don't. I just got to hope some teams don't start grabbing backup QB's "early." Like you said, sometimes you have to grab your QB before a owner behind you who still needs one does.

Do a lot of you play in leagues where people draft a backup QB "early?" Or do people in your leagues just overreact to not having a QB in the 6th round? I guess I just don't understand Freeman or Big Ben going in the 6th round. In my leagues, either teams grab a QB early and take one of the top 6 in the first 3 or 4 rounds, or they wait until much later to draft a QB. Tony Romo usually comes off the board in the 5th or 6th round. Schaub may come off the board in the 6th or 7th. Then the likes of Freeman, Big Ben, Eli, Ryan, etc. come off the board in the 8th round or later. If no one drafts a backup QB early, I will end up with one of them in every draft. So far I got Eli and Freeman in my two drafts. If someone does draft a backup QB early, I can adjust and usually still end up with one of the above. Then I can grab a Cutler, Stafford, Flacco, Bradford as my backup a round or two later.

I'm going by their ADP. Maybe your league is different and if so then by all means adjust your draft strategy accordingly. But according to ADPs those guys you named all go a solid two rounds higher than you have them.

I'm going by their ADP. Maybe your league is different and if so then by all means adjust your draft strategy accordingly. But according to ADPs those guys you named all go a solid two rounds higher than you have them.

ADP is good guide, but they can vary a lot across different sites (Big Ben goes 6th or 7th round in PPR, Freeman goes 7th or 8th round). Also, the middle tier QB's can have their ADP's pushed up by QB crazy leagues (Ben Ben went as high a 3rd overall), but that doesn't really get weighed out because they will go where they should in most "normal" leagues. I think Big Ben in the 7th round or even 8th round, and QB's like Freeman, Ryan, and Eli in the 8th or 9th round is very conceivable in many leagues.

Big Ben is the 10th QB off the board according to ADP, I just don't see why anyone would "waste" a 6th round pick on him when only 2 other teams haven't drafted a QB yet in a 12 team league. If no one drafts a backup early(you have to know your league), you should end up with at least Big Ben, Freeman, Ryan, or Eli in the 8th or 9th round. But as you said, every league is different, so knowing your league is the biggest factor in this strategy.

It seems like a lot of people are ignoring the value of a player's floor in this thread. There is a much smaller chance you can take a flier on a QB and win than on a RB or WR.

I wouldn't reach for one, but if Brady/Rivers are sitting there in the 4th, or Rodgers in the 3rd or late 2nd even, I would not hesitate in taking them. I can gamble on someone like Beanie Wells or Roy Williams much later while knowing I've got the closest thing to a sure bet there is in FF. I only need a marginal amount of drafting "value" to justify it.

There are a lot more possible RB2-3/WR2-3 players than QB1 players. There is nothing wrong with making the safe pick.

Drafting from the 4 spot...Ive always gone late draft QB but from this situation all of my mocks have pointed to a 3rd round (Brees or Rivers) pick....works out pretty good everytime

I wouldn't reach for one, but if Brady/Rivers are sitting there in the 4th, or Rodgers in the 3rd or late 2nd even, I would not hesitate in taking them. I can gamble on someone like Beanie Wells or Roy Williams much later while knowing I've got the closest thing to a sure bet there is in FF. I only need a marginal amount of drafting "value" to justify it.

I agree with you on the elite QB's as this is where my sense of value kicks in and I will take a QB somewhat early. I got Rivers in the 4th in one league which I am more than ok with. But no way am I touching a QB in the 1st or early 2nd unless the scoring system strongly favors QB's.

Part of my problem is drafting in money leagues with strangers, you can get a feel for their drafting strategy usually by the 4th round but predicting when and where they tend to jump on backup QB's is hard to do. Unless I see a real upside RB or elite TE sitting there in the 6th, I tend to bite the bullet and go QB. I don't want too, I really want to wait till the 8th but I have been burned too many times waiting past the 7th round to pickup my starting QB.

I will admit to absolutely sucking at playing QB matchup game so I much prefer having a guy I can plug and play and know he wont kill me point wise each week at the QB position.

Thought this thread had some good discussion in it so figured I'd try to add to it.

The key is to wait as long as possible on QB's before someone starts taking backups. This is where knowing your league is very helpful. It also helps to track every other teams roster so you know what teams have drafted a QB so far and which ones haven't.

I also like to draft my backup QB a round or two later to try to have 2 QB's in the #10-15 range. This way I can play some match ups with my 2 QB's throughout the year. I know I am probably going to give up a few points per week at the QB position, but I have confidence that my RB's, WR's, and TE's will outscore my opponents by more than that.

Agree with this 100%, especially the first paragraph, although I think I've just come to this conclusion recently. I've taken QB's early before, but I always feel like I'm lacking at RB/WR (but that's basically a different discussion). But I've been in the same league for awhile and it seems like most teams usually draft their 1st QB early but then wait a bit to take a backup, so there usually seems to be a few QB's you can get way below their ADP's. So it's basically like a game of chicken, if you wait too long and other teams start taking backups, you could get screwed. Last year I was one of the last teams to take a QB, but got nervous and took Cutler in the 6th. This year the first 9 QB's were gone by pick 4.03. Only 2 more were taken between then and pick 8.09 (so everyone but me had a QB), and only 1 more was taken between 8.09 and 11.02. So only 11 QB's were off the board by my pick at 11.03, and I was able to get Stafford. I think I actually started a run on backups, as 5 more were taken in the next 7 picks, so I wasn't able to get as good of a backup as I would've liked, but I was satisfied with loading up on the other positions in the first 10 rounds.

I know some may say "what kind of joke league has Stafford get drafted in the 11th round?" but honestly I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often (or we at least don't hear about it more often). Since many here suggest drafting your FIRST QB late, if you ended up drafting one of the top 9 or so QB's, wouldn't you then wait a bit to draft their backup? I'd mainly be worried about the other guys who took QB's late (and maybe the Manning owner) drafting another one, but I can see it happening often where only 12-13 QB's get drafted in the first 10 rounds, potentially leaving at least one and probably a few of guys like Bradford/Flacco/Kolb/Cutler/Orton/Cassell available in the 11th or later. And it only takes one homer to draft Mark Sanchez a couple rounds too early for someone even better to fall.

Ok, putting my money where my mouth is. Since I was such a big proponent of this early in the thread, I walked the walk. It's a 10 teamer, so rosters are a bit more loaded, but this is my long time $$$ league. I ended up with Roethlisberger in the 7th (as the 10th qb selected) and Stafford in the 12th. I loaded up at RB and WR and even scored Witten @ TE.

one of my main leagues expanded from 10 to 12, and changed the scoring to 6paTD this season. a lot of people overreacted--3.01-3.05 was an unadulterated QB run, with vick and rodgers already off the board. i wasn't in great position to take advantage of this, because i had gone AJ/roddy at 1.09 and 2.04 (got good value on hillis in the 3rd, but that's about it). took ben in the 7th.

after looking at the draft recap, i feel like my team stacks up really well against anyone, even without a stud QB. IMO, the talent available at other positions in the 3rd and 4th can completely offset the contribution of one of the 'big 5' QBs.