Sign in to follow this  
BufordT

Common Sense Found Here

After focusing my attention back to FF over the last 3-4 weeks and trying to gather as much info as possible, not to mention, filter out some of the non-sense on this bored, I've come to some "common sense" conclusions that I hope fellow FF'er will use. Here we go.

1. Tom Brady should be everyone's #1 QB. It's not even close. He was #1 in all three of my leagues last year and that was with Randy Moss on the field basically wasting space. They have just about everyone coming back on the 0-line, no real stud at RB, and TE's and WR's all over the field. Brady might throw for 40 TD's this year.

2. Michael Turner's lack of respect is confusing. You want to throw at me the amount of carries he's been getting of the last few years...fine. This will be his 4th season as starting RB, and in my book, that makes him a young 29 yrs old. 1400 yds and 12-14 TD's is not unreasonable for this guy.

3. Arian Foster is the #1 pick in the draft...hand down. Most of you are saying "duuuuhhh!!" right now but if you read this bored, people are trying to find a reason not to take hime #1. It's not that Foster is the best RB in the league...its that this Houston O-line could've probably made Ron Dayne a top 5 back last year.

4. Josh Freeman will not be a top 10 QB. First off, there are other candidates who are just itching to break into the top 10. Stafford, Bradford, Roethlisburger to name a couple. He had one game last year with more than 2 TD's. I don't see this year being much different with the tougher schedule this year. Common sense people

5. Reggie Wayne is the most disrespected fantasy WR in recent memory. 111 receptions last year. 98 or more reception 4 out of the last 5 years. While everyone is drafting Andre and Calvin and Roddy and Vincent, I'll gladly take my two RB's and take Wayne as my WR1 and hope he finds the end-zone a few more times this year.

6. Mark Ingram. I have to admit, I moved this guy way up my list as a result reading this bored. A couple of posters appealed to my common senses and I will gladly reach for this guy in round 4 if I have to. The Saints are obviously high on this guy.

Agree with alot except your Michael Turner bit. It was one thing when the falcons took jaquiz rodgers rb in the draft but the re signing of snelling is very obvious turner is getting long in the tooth. Not to mention a move to a more wide open offense with roddy, julio jones, gonzo, and slot harry douglas.

you draft michael turner get ready for alot of 16 carries 70 yard outings with 0 catches.

I agree with the Brady statement. I would never take Vick over Brady. Brady (and the Patriots as a whole) look insane this year. I like Brady better than Rogers too. Manning has the neck injury, so he's out. Rivers looks good, but Brady has a better situation.

Keep dropping Manning down your board... I'll gladly take him a round later.

I like drew brees to make a big rebound. Not even focusing on strength of schedule, look at simply WHERE they play. There's not a single cold weather game. Its all domes, and outdoor Florida games. I think @TEN is the coldest game there is, in week 13.

I like drew brees to make a big rebound. Not even focusing on strength of schedule, look at simply WHERE they play. There's not a single cold weather game. Its all domes, and outdoor Florida games. I think @TEN is the coldest game there is, in week 13.

Note that Matt Ryan has the same good weather advantage as well...

I agree 100% on Turner and Wayne. Neither is at the very top of my draft board but i'm apalled at the lack of respect for extremely talented guys on elite offenses that i feel still have plenty of fantasy production left in them.

1. Tom Brady should be everyone's #1 QB. It's not even close. He was #1 in all three of my leagues last year and that was with Randy Moss on the field basically wasting space. They have just about everyone coming back on the 0-line, no real stud at RB, and TE's and WR's all over the field. Brady might throw for 40 TD's this year.

Points per game last year, Brady couldn't sniff Vick's jock.

Plus side for Rivers: He has his #1 WR back, basically played the whole season without him and still tossed 28 td's and a boat load of yard. Brady does look dang good though.

Brady does look dang good though.

Brady was running an uptempo offense that Cincy D admitted they weren't ready for. It was a gimmick that a defending team in the 2nd week of preseason wouldn't expect so the Bungals were totally caught off guard and NE looked really good because of it.

Tom Terrific is a good QB but by no means do I think he's head and shoulders above other QB's in FF. I could easily see Rivers, Romo, Brees, Vick, Rodgers, and even rubber neck Peyton out-statting him. Maybe even Big Ben, Ryan or Schaub.

I was going to disagree then wrote it up and found myself agreeing with you on almost everything, good post. :thumbsup:

QB-Vick, Rivers are in the hunt for top qb, and Rodgers with a running game might be even better.

Freeman-your right he will slide a bit number wise, but he is so much fun to root for I still am drafting him on many of my teams, usually as my backup/upside guy.

Points per game last year, Brady couldn't sniff Vick's jock.

I don't think Brady will have trouble outscoring Vick when Vick is "out" with an injury. If Vick plays 16 wks you might be right. However, IMHO Brady could put up better #'s than he did last year. Whereas, Vick hit his ceiling (a nice ceiling, I might add) last year. I don't see how he can possibly play any better this year.

I don't think Brady will have trouble outscoring Vick when Vick is "out" with an injury. If Vick plays 16 wks you might be right. However, IMHO Brady could put up better #'s than he did last year. Whereas, Vick hit his ceiling (a nice ceiling, I might add) last year. I don't see how he can possibly play any better this year.

Opinions.

Brady could go down in the first game and be out the season.

Vick could play 16 games at or better than last year so his year ending numbers would be #1 overall fantasy player by far.

You see Brady having a better year than last and Vick being worse. The opposite is also very possible.

Opinions.

Brady could go down in the first game and be out the season.

Vick could play 16 games at or better than last year so his year ending numbers would be #1 overall fantasy player by far.

You see Brady having a better year than last and Vick being worse. The opposite is also very possible.

Opinions are what make this bored. And yes, anything is possible in FF. Like unknown Kurt Warner can come out of nowhere and be a fantasy stud.

Fact: Brady has played 16 games 8 times in the last 9 years.

Fact: Vick's played 16 games once in his career and missed 3 1/2 games last year.

Fact: Brady in '07 (fantasy wise) and his 52 total TD's will never be touched by Vick.

Jarvis...do really think Vick will play 16 games this year?? and if he does, he'll produce as much or more fantasy points than last year?? Don't say "well...he could". What is your opinion?

Brady will be standing longer than Vick simply because he take less hits. Vick was wearing down last year. He is an amazing talent however I worry about his legs.

Fact: Brady in '07 (fantasy wise) and his 52 total TD's will never be touched by Vick.

Vick did average more points per game last year than Brady averaged during his 52 TD season in 2007.

Vick did average more points per game last year than Brady averaged during his 52 TD season in 2007.

Agreed. Vick averaged 27.3 points per game last year in my league. Brady averaged 26.9 in 07.

Normally I would agree that Reggie Wayne is not getting the proper respect. However, with Peyton Manning's questionable situation, ALL Colts drop significantly on my rankings.

I'd be shocked if Peyton Manning wasn't under center Week 1. I think to drop all Colts "significantly" would be foolish.

After focusing my attention back to FF over the last 3-4 weeks and trying to gather as much info as possible, not to mention, filter out some of the non-sense on this bored, I've come to some "common sense" conclusions that I hope fellow FF'er will use. Here we go.

2. Michael Turner's lack of respect is confusing. You want to throw at me the amount of carries he's been getting of the last few years...fine. This will be his 4th season as starting RB, and in my book, that makes him a young 29 yrs old. 1400 yds and 12-14 TD's is not unreasonable for this guy.

3. Arian Foster is the #1 pick in the draft...hand down. Most of you are saying "duuuuhhh!!" right now but if you read this bored, people are trying to find a reason not to take hime #1. It's not that Foster is the best RB in the league...its that this Houston O-line could've probably made Ron Dayne a top 5 back last year.

4. Josh Freeman will not be a top 10 QB. First off, there are other candidates who are just itching to break into the top 10. Stafford, Bradford, Roethlisburger to name a couple. He had one game last year with more than 2 TD's. I don't see this year being much different with the tougher schedule this year. Common sense people

5. Reggie Wayne is the most disrespected fantasy WR in recent memory. 111 receptions last year. 98 or more reception 4 out of the last 5 years. While everyone is drafting Andre and Calvin and Roddy and Vincent, I'll gladly take my two RB's and take Wayne as my WR1 and hope he finds the end-zone a few more times this year.

6. Mark Ingram. I have to admit, I moved this guy way up my list as a result reading this bored. A couple of posters appealed to my common senses and I will gladly reach for this guy in round 4 if I have to. The Saints are obviously high on this guy.

Some OK comments there. Lets review:

1) Brady is just one of the top QBs out there. If ya dont get him, you are FINE with Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, or Vick. Then, following very closely in that group would be Rothlisberger, Eli Manning, and Matt Ryan. So yeah, Brady is good but he aint the only one. Lookat the stats last year and you'll see. If you league deducts for picks then thats ghey anyways.

2) I dont think Turner lacks any respect in FF - hes a top rated guy.

3) Whatever. I hope his leg falls off in week 1.

4) I agree here - Freeman caught everyone by surprise and the Bucs didnt play anybody. Probably wont happen this year.

5) For the 5,000th time - Wayne does NOT score enough anymore and should be downgraded. If you are in a Point per breath league like some of the sissies here then fine but for those of us that are still playing FF where TDs count for something then Wayne has been a disappointment. Hes scored just 6 TDs in 2 of the last 3 seasons. Just 6. That sucks. I dont care if he has 2500 yards.... he needs to score more. Period. Hopefully all those little white WRs the Colts have get killed in the offseason.

6) Ingram is an intriguing pick but Pierre Thomas aint going anywhere and the Saints are just like the Pats - the QB and kicker are the players to have on your FF team. We'll see, but there are a lot og uys that will get the ball there.

If you league deducts for picks then thats ghey anyways.

Yeah, the last thing you want in Fantasy Football is the scoring to mirror the performance on the field.

idoagreepprisastupidstatforff

Yeah, the last thing you want in Fantasy Football is the scoring to mirror the performance on the field.

idoagreepprisastupidstatforff

It just thins out the QB pool and for no good reason. Negative points arent needed to make FF more fun. Thats fine if your league does it but we always hated the idea behind it. Especially when the interception is solely because the WR had the ball bounce off their hands or they ran the wrong route. Many times the QB has no control over a pick and you'd lose pts for it. Thats not cool.

It just thins out the QB pool and for no good reason. Negative points arent needed to make FF more fun. Thats fine if your league does it but we always hated the idea behind it. Especially when the interception is solely because the WR had the ball bounce off their hands or they ran the wrong route. Many times the QB has no control over a pick and you'd lose pts for it. Thats not cool.

It's all personal preference really.

I like PPR because I don't want my league to basically be a touchdown contest.

I like negative points for INT's because it's a play deserving of negative points, just as a fumble is.

...as least that's what I prefer.

It's all personal preference really.

I like PPR because I don't want my league to basically be a touchdown contest.

I like negative points for INT's because it's a play deserving of negative points, just as a fumble is.

...as least that's what I prefer.

Agreed. Can't stand people that think their way is the only way. The best way to play fantasy football is whatever your league agrees on and enjoys.

I don't agree with that.

If Cutler throws 4 picks in a day, his scoring MUST reflect that dogsh!t performance.

If the ball bounces off a WR hands, was it cause the ball was overthrown, or behind him ? If it was tipped by an OL, was it cause the QB threw it too low, or try to squeeze it through a lane ? Point is the QB threw it there, noone else.

Question,

How manny picks did Brady throw last year ?

See my point....Most picks are the result of the QB, with a very, very few exceptions.

I don't agree with that.

If Cutler throws 4 picks in a day, his scoring MUST reflect that dogsh!t performance.

If the ball bounces off a WR hands, was it cause the ball was overthrown, or behind him ? If it was tipped by an OL, was it cause the QB threw it too low, or try to squeeze it through a lane ? Point is the QB threw it there, noone else.

Question,

See my point....Most picks are the result of the QB, with a very, very few exceptions.

:thumbsup:

And most QBs will also have a few potential picks dropped throughout the season, so it probably evens out.

Many times a running back might lose yards through no fault of his own because his blocking breaks down, should we not count those plays either?

I don't agree with that.

Question,

Agree with this and for the non-ppr vs ppr, I like to make a compromise and go with the .5 ppr. This way, your possession receivers get some more value (guys who may be getting the tough yards, first downs, etc.), while not making wr's worth too much.

Agree with this and for the non-ppr vs ppr, I like to make a compromise and go with the .5 ppr. This way, your possession receivers get some more value (guys who may be getting the tough yards, first downs, etc.), while not making wr's worth too much.

I'll second .5 PPR and -2 INT. Been my preferred scoring format for several years in a row.

I played in a league one year that counted punt and kickoff return yards and it drove me crazy when a special teams only player outscored my RB. I don't find two QB leagues that much fun either.

I'll second .5 PPR and -2 INT. Been my preferred scoring format for several years in a row.

I played in a league one year that counted punt and kickoff return yards and it drove me crazy when a special teams only player outscored my RB. I don't find two QB leagues that much fun either.

Never liked PPR - its just too much to award guys points for catching 7-8 balls for 38 yards or whatever. I also hate negative pts in FF. Its hard enough to find enough quality players(especially QBs) to fill teams now, you dont have to go killing the QBs value so much.

We actually like KR/PR yardage. We do 1 pt every 25 yards for returns. Not too crazy but it makes some WR3's and WR4's worth starting/rostering. Its probably the same effect as PPR making WR2's more valuable.

Two QB leagues are silly.