Sign in to follow this  
SFGeek

Hey Tolbert owners

Tolbert is a pure touchdown vulture now. He will have minimal value when he doesn't score. Averaging 15 yards rushing in the last 3 games and Mathews has cut heavily into his receiving numbers (17 catches weeks 1 & 2, 8 catches since).

But .... he's already had a 3 TD game. So, this was a 68 yard (run+rec) game for him, with a TD. So, he's averaging a TD a week. For a low RB #2/Flex guy? I'll take it.

I'm glad you can count.

It's a joke on this bored to symbolize the 40th post (top of page 2) .... you would know that if you weren't such a noob.

:cheers:

I love how people really thought Mathews was going to "take over" the SD backfield. Should have sold high when you had that small window. A guy in my league got peterson for mathews and maclin. Nice work.

I love how people really thought Mathews was going to "take over" the SD backfield. Should have sold high when you had that small window. A guy in my league got peterson for mathews and maclin. Nice work.

Uh...what do you mean? Tolbert's still good and all, but Mathews looks top 10 the rest of the way. He's piling up yardage.

Uh...what do you mean? Tolbert's still good and all, but Mathews looks top 10 the rest of the way. He's piling up yardage.

What I mean is he's not "taking over" the backfield. And more importantly...he's definitely not making Tolbert irrelevant. Sure, good PPR play every week (not sure about top 10...tolbert had a few more point than mathews in my ppr league last week...not saying that will be the case every week but you get my point). Wouldn't want him in a TD league. Tolbert is the goal line back. My response was more geared towards the title of the thread.

What I mean is he's not "taking over" the backfield. And more importantly...he's definitely not making Tolbert irrelevant. Sure, good PPR play every week (not sure about top 10...tolbert had a few more point than mathews in my ppr league last week...not saying that will be the case every week but you get my point). Wouldn't want him in a TD league. Tolbert is the goal line back. My response was more geared towards the title of the thread.

Week 2 Tolbert couldn't punch anything in at the goal line, Mathews had a TD.

Week 3, Tolbert didn't get a goal line carry, and Matthews had 2 TD's.

Last week, Mathews had limited practice, and Tolbert was given his Touchdown while giving Mathews a breather after breaking off a 42 yard catch and run. In the 2nd quarter, they brought Mathews in on 3rd and goal on the 13.

Tolbert is not irrelevant, but where are you getting that he is "the goal line back"?

Week 2 Tolbert couldn't punch anything in at the goal line, Mathews had a TD.

Week 3, Tolbert didn't get a goal line carry, and Matthews had 2 TD's.

Last week, Mathews had limited practice, and Tolbert was given his Touchdown while giving Mathews a breather after breaking off a 42 yard catch and run. In the 2nd quarter, they brought Mathews in on 3rd and goal on the 13.

Tolbert is not irrelevant, but where are you getting that he is "the goal line back"?

3rd and goal from the 13 does not make Matthews the goal line back either. You use Matthews missing pratice as a reason for Tolbert getting more opportunities in Week 4, but say nothing about Tolbert missing practice prior to week 3 giving Matthews more opportunities. Turner has said many times practice time is important to him and weighs heavily on game time reps.

But keep spinning the info to fit your argument.

I own Tolbert and wondering if i should drop him for I.Redman (if Mendy is ruled out) as i need help this week? Not sure.

What happened in week 1?

Not sure how Mathews 10 yard TD run in week 2 would sway the argument in your direction.

Week 3...tolbert missed practice most of the week. That's when everyone jumped on the mathews train.

Week 4...mathews missed some late week practices. Everyone (me) jumped back on this thread.

If I was a betting man Mathews will be a good RB2 in PPR leagues (enough with the top 10 nonsense). As will Tolbert.

I'll be very surprised if I have to eat my words.

3rd and goal from the 13 does not make Matthews the goal line back either. You use Matthews missing pratice as a reason for Tolbert getting more opportunities in Week 4, but say nothing about Tolbert missing practice prior to week 3 giving Matthews more opportunities. Turner has said many times practice time is important to him and weighs heavily on game time reps.

But keep spinning the info to fit your argument.

And you keep thinking that Tolbert is the goal line back

In my league Mathews is 6th and Tolbert is 8th among RBs in a PPR format. Mathews is somewhat more consistent in his points (14,25,30,19) since Tolbert had the huge week 1 (36,14,7,17). They are both going to get points but it seems Mathews is used as the more traditional RB and has way more rushing yards than Tolbert. The receiving is about the same as well with Tolbert having a few more catches and 2 TDs but less yards. I haven't watched SD outside of the NE game.

Just adding some stats to the conversation. I agree that it seems either RB would be a fine RB2 for fantasy purposes but it looks like Mathews currently has the edge.

And you keep thinking that Tolbert is the goal line back

I'd be willing to bet your life (and I don't hate you) that Tolbert will be the primary goal line back the remainder of the year.

Yes of course Tolbert is the goal line back everybody knows that ! He is a nice bench player that you can start any given week ! I see around 10 td's again this year for Tolbert !

Per CBSsportsline...pretty solid stats if you ask me

The Chargers have two running backs -- Mike Tolbert and Ryan Mathews -- that can get the job done. But through four weeks of the season, Tolbert has found a niche in the offense. His 25 receptions leads all running backs in the AFC. He has 15 touchdowns (13 rushing, two receiving) over his last 18 games. Tolbert and the Chargers face the Broncos in Week 5, a team he's taken the field against four times in his career. In those contests Tolbert has totaled 170 rushing yards and two scores, good for a 42.5 yard per game average. He also averages 37.8 receiving yards per game against Denver. The Broncos have given up one touchdown to a running back this season and that came through the air.

(Updated 10/05/2011).

Is it - could it be - don't say it ain't so

But is Tolbert our modern day Steven Davis? And we know that saying...

Coach Norv Turner suggested Wednesday that the Chargers would prefer to give Ryan Mathews 24 to 25 carries in games moving forward.

"He's playing with great confidence," said Turner. "I've been around some great backs ... That's why you want to get them in the (24-25 carries range). He got what 16 carries, 18 carries (last week)? If we can get him that 24, 25 carries it's gonna help him." Turner has been careful to avoid blatantly saying Mike Tolbert's role will diminish, but the writing is on the wall with Mathews averaging 4.72 YPC and 135.5 total yards per game. With Vincent Jackson (hamstring) banged up and Antonio Gates (foot) out at least one more game, look for the Chargers to lean on their rushing attack, and Mathews to be the offensive centerpiece.

Guess i need to move tolbert.

The reality is that Mathews is now performing at the level that the Chargers wanted when they drafted him. Mathews owners are rejoicing.

Tolbert has been getting some goal line work and has been a good receiver out of the backfield. Tolbert owners have to be happy with the value that they got when they drafted him.

Both sets of owners are correct in their points. What will happen moving forward is anyone's guess because it is not like Mathews has been able to handle 24-25 carries a game for an extended period of time and no one knows whether Tolbert will continue to get goal line carries if Mathews stays healthy. If I had Mathews, I would ride him as long as I could and target Tolbert as a handcuff if his value drops in the next couple of weeks. If I had Tolbert, I would hang onto him and use him as a flex or bye week fill-in because I don't know that anyone is going to give me appropriate value. If someone were to blow me away with an offer, then I would move him. :dunno:

Sounds like Norv wants to get him to that 24-25 carries a game level...

Thu, Oct 6

RB Ryan Mathews averaging 16 carries a game, but coach Norv Turner said he'd like to expand that. Mathews is on pace to produce 2,168 total yards, and an increased workload could lift those projections. "If we can get him in that 24- to 25-carry range," Turner said, "it's going to help him."

(Yahoo! Sports)

The NFL is a 2 RB league now-a-days. I dont see nay reason why Norv would "want" to change what is clearly working, despite what he says. Mathews looks like the better option running the ball between the 20's and Tolbert's style looks like the better option inside the 10. I expect that to continue. If I was a Mathews owner, I wouldn't want him getting 25 carries every game and GL work, as he would be injured in about 2 weeks.

Be happy with what you got, as he is clearly outplaying his ADP.

This week both of them could be fantasy-tastic since Rivers other receivers are all hurting. Lots of receptions to be had for both RB's this week.

It will be comical to look back on this stupid debate after the dust settles on this season and Mathews is a borderline top-5 RB and consensus 1st round pick next year.

It will be comical to look back on this stupid debate after the dust settles on this season and Mathews is a borderline top-5 RB and consensus 1st round pick next year.

And Matthews went a lot higher in my draft. I still picked a guy much later who is going to score 10+ TD's. Im not unhappy with that.

And Matthews went a lot higher in my draft. I still picked a guy much later who is going to score 10+ TD's. Im not unhappy with that.

Tolbert will still have value, clearly. But the continual debate over the two players as though they are still comparable is getting silly. You can say that, well, Mathews has yet to prove it over an entire season and that's valid. But right now his numbers are in line with guys like Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson and his coach is openly talking about getting him 25 carries. You do the math.

Tolbert will still have value, clearly. But the continual debate over the two players as though they are still comparable is getting silly. You can say that, well, Mathews has yet to prove it over an entire season and that's valid. But right now his numbers are in line with guys like Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson and his coach is openly talking about getting him 25 carries. You do the math.

Okay...

Mathews + 25 Carries/Game = IR

Is that debate still happening? I thought that was kinda resolved by week 2. I really see the only question being if Tolbert still has fantasy starter potential, or if he's just another handcuff.

Is that debate still happening? I thought that was kinda resolved by week 2. I really see the only question being if Tolbert still has fantasy starter potential, or if he's just another handcuff.

I see posts here as recently as 2 days ago rating them as relatively even.

The NFL is a 2 RB league now-a-days. I dont see nay reason why Norv would "want" to change what is clearly working, despite what he says. Mathews looks like the better option running the ball between the 20's and Tolbert's style looks like the better option inside the 10. I expect that to continue. If I was a Mathews owner, I wouldn't want him getting 25 carries every game and GL work, as he would be injured in about 2 weeks.

Be happy with what you got, as he is clearly outplaying his ADP.

Apparently Norv has decided to help fantasy owners again, just like he did last year when he said Mathews would get 290 touches. There's no doubt who the better RB is, but Mathews hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy for a full season since high school. And did his toe injury just start feeling better all of the sudden?

There is no debate. I'm a Tolbert owner but I can concede Matthews is the more talented player. My only contention in this thread was Tolbert having no value.

Ryan Mathews left Sunday's game against the Broncos in the first quarter with a strained calf.

Mathews had his calf wrapped in ice on the sideline and then went into the locker room. Before leaving, he was ripping through the Broncos' defense for 60 yards on seven carries. Mathews is questionable to return, leaving Mike Tolbert and Jacob Hester as the primary ball-carriers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad I started Tolbert today!

is tolbert hurt??? They've got hester getting touches down at the goalline!

Holmes, Keller, McFadden, Tolbert, Harvin, Mike Thomas. Ohhhh lord!

I need Stafford to go aboslute ape sh!t tomorrow night! I mean record breaking!