Sign in to follow this  
RicemanX

Should Cam Newton win the ROY?

Cam and Dalton have each won off. Rookie of the month as well as D. Murray who just won for Nov. If one of them wins Dec. it would seem that would be the fave to win for the year.

Mebbe if Dalton didn't sukk in the first 3 quarters he wouldn't need to come back. :music_guitarred:

It's obvious that the "suck for 3 quarters" strategy is the way to win in the NFL.

I guess we beat espn by a day or two on this discussion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=7291234

Thanks for the link. I love the two articles posted below. One supporting Dalton (wrote by some woman) pretty much only says (like this thread): The Bengals have 7 wins and the Panthers 3 so Dalton is the ROY. Well if that's the only factor hun, then maybe Randall Cobb should win the ROY. The Packers have 11 wins. 11 > 7. :clap:

The other article is written by John Clayton. As ugly as he looks, he's probably the best NFL insider out there and always has a level headed approach. Even if he is hard to look at it while he gives it.

Andy Dalton could lead the Cincinnati Bengals into the playoffs as the last wild card, which would make him a strong Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate, but my vote stays with Cam Newton.

I don't think it's close.

I've seen three of Dalton's games, and he's a major talent. Despite the Panthers' 3-8 record, Newton's play borders on spectacular. As long as he stays healthy, he's going to shatter the rookie record book for quarterbacks.

Newton is on pace for close to 4,500 passing yards, 348 completions and a combination of 32 rushing and passing touchdowns. Sure, these may seem like meaningless stats for a 3-8 team, but I marvel at not only his play but also his improvement each week.

Dalton plays like a veteran quarterback. Newton has the look of a superstar. Cincinnati and Carolina were among the worst teams in football last season. Dalton's contributions have helped the Bengals to a 7-4 record. But Dalton has a better supporting cast than Newton.

The Bengals have the fifth-ranked defense in football. The Panthers are 24th. The Bengals give up 19.5 points a game. The Panthers give up 27.7, and in most games, they can't stop the run.

Newton goes into every game needing 28 points to have a chance to win. His three wins have come in games in which opponents were held to 20 points or fewer. Dalton has had eight games in which the opponent scored 20 or fewer points.

Perhaps the most telling stat for the two is how well Newton succeeds when he's in control of the situation. He's tied for fifth in the league with 21 10-play drives, putting him in a class with Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger. Dalton is a respectable 22nd with 15 10-play drives.

Each team has landed its franchise quarterback. Dalton is a winner in Cincinnati. Newton will be a winner once Ron Rivera fixes the Panthers' defense and the front office adds another receiver opposite Steve Smith.

Like Dalton, Newton has a no-nonsense approach to the game. He works hard, something that a lot of NFL teams didn't realize. The Panthers checked out his work ethic at Auburn and found it to be outstanding. Once he got into the league, they found it better than the scouting reports.

Dalton may get the first jump by getting to the playoffs. It won't be too long before Newton will be challenging for similar spots in the NFC.

Game.Set.Match :first:

Thanks for the link. I love the two articles posted below. One supporting Dalton (wrote by some woman) pretty much only says (like this thread): The Bengals have 7 wins and the Panthers 3 so Dalton is the ROY. Well if that's the only factor hun, then maybe Randall Cobb should win the ROY. The Packers have 11 wins. 11 > 7. :clap:

The other article is written by John Clayton. As ugly as he looks, he's probably the best NFL insider out there and always has a level headed approach. Even if he is hard to look at it while he gives it.

Maybe Carolina's defense wouldn't be 24th if he didn't throw so many interceptions giving the offenses the short field. Andy Dalton will win a superbowl in his career becasue he makes his team better, Cam wont win one because he is out to make Cam look better. How many times has he ran it in from the 1/2 yard line when he could have easily shared some success with his runningbacks and teammates. Team chemistry is very important to winning and there wont be any with Cam at the helm as long as he continues his style of play. To me the dif is Dalton will do anything to win reguardless of stats and Cam will do anything for stats reguardless of wins. The truth is though it will be given to Cam no matter what Dalton does.

Cam wont win one because he is out to make Cam look better. How many times has he ran it in from the 1/2 yard line when he could have easily shared some success with his runningbacks and teammates. Team chemistry is very important to winning and there wont be any with Cam at the helm as long as he continues his style of play. To me the dif is Dalton will do anything to win reguardless of stats and Cam will do anything for stats reguardless of wins. The truth is though it will be given to Cam no matter what Dalton does.

You obviously have not seen Cam Newton play football this year to any extent. I'm guessing all you've seen is ESPN highlights of him play this year. Because everything you just said is the exact opposite of reality. His teammates LOVE him. Team chemistry is at an all time high. He could care less about stats; the guy is dejected after losses. Yet says all the right things after the game and is the first one in at practice the next day.

Not only that, but everything you just said has absolutely ZERO to do with winning a ROY award. The ROY award isn't about that you think some players "character" is better. It's about which rookie is the best rookie for that season. Cam Newton has better stats, passes the 'eye test' talent wise, and is more important to his team than any other rookie out there. The only thing going for Dalton is that the Bengal TEAM has more wins than the Panther TEAM. Well if that's the only criteria we are going by then Randall Cobb should win ROY by a landslide. But Cobb won't, beause that's not the criteria.

Maybe Carolina's defense wouldn't be 24th if he didn't throw so many interceptions giving the offenses the short field. Andy Dalton will win a superbowl in his career becasue he makes his team better, Cam wont win one because he is out to make Cam look better. How many times has he ran it in from the 1/2 yard line when he could have easily shared some success with his runningbacks and teammates. Team chemistry is very important to winning and there wont be any with Cam at the helm as long as he continues his style of play. To me the dif is Dalton will do anything to win reguardless of stats and Cam will do anything for stats reguardless of wins. The truth is though it will be given to Cam no matter what Dalton does.

Must be a Deangelo or J Stewart owner. Bitter.

Have you seen any of Cam's pressers after games? The guy is a team player who wants wins over anything. Your post is so full of assumptions and opinions that it can't be taken seriously.

this is dumber than the guy that said cam gets all his stats in garbage time...

you think cam calls his own plays so he can vulture those TDs from the 3 yard line dummy?!??!??! Damn this is so dumb its hurting my balls. Great analysis einstein. Cam runs the ball in so his teammates hate him, and they'll never have any team chemistry...maybe steve smith has something to say about that...ugh this is so dumb...

As you can see below, I have Cam(WW after week 1)...so I'm a bit biased. But this kid is the truth. I've watched most of his snaps this year and he has impressed the HELL out of me. He's physically imposing, throws a GREAT deep ball, extends plays, and is a goalline beast. He is without question a superstar in the making, health withstanding. Dalton is nice...no question, but ROY has already been decided.

One thing that hasn't been brought up (unless I missed it), is the fact that Dalton faces Pitt and Baltimore 4 times a year. Hell, even the Browns are ranked 6th. By the end of this season, Dalton will have faced the 7 teams that are currently ranked 1 thru 7 in total defense. :shocking:

Must be a Deangelo or J Stewart owner. Bitter.

Have you seen any of Cam's pressers after games? The guy is a team player who wants wins over anything. Your post is so full of assumptions and opinions that it can't be taken seriously.

No I dont own any Panthers and the only ones I would consider having is Steve Smith or Cam and this is due to Cam. Someone asked do I think he calls his own plays at the goalline, no but he has options to handoff, audible to pass or run himself. He choses to take the td from his back almsot every time. I wonder what J. Stewart or D. Williams will think about this when their contracts come due. They might act excited on the field but I bet in the back of their minds they are pissed everytime this happens. Daltons stats are as good or better than Cams and he is winning games with a chance to make the playoffs so why give the award to a qb on a losing team. Winning is all that matters in the end and it should be factored in to the ROY.

No I dont own any Panthers and the only ones I would consider having is Steve Smith or Cam and this is due to Cam. Someone asked do I think he calls his own plays at the goalline, no but he has options to handoff, audible to pass or run himself. He choses to take the td from his back almsot every time. I wonder what J. Stewart or D. Williams will think about this when their contracts come due. They might act excited on the field but I bet in the back of their minds they are pissed everytime this happens. Daltons stats are as good or better than Cams and he is winning games with a chance to make the playoffs so why give the award to a qb on a losing team. Winning is all that matters in the end and it should be factored in to the ROY.

Lots of assumptions again.

Do you read any of the other posts?

-Team chemistry in Carolina is as solid as it's been in years.

-Daltons stats are not better than Cam's.

-If winning is all that matters then Randall Cobb from Green Bay deserves it.

Lots of assumptions again.

Do you read any of the other posts?

-Team chemistry in Carolina is as solid as it's been in years.

-Daltons stats are not better than Cam's.

-If winning is all that matters then Randall Cobb from Green Bay deserves it.

Randall Cobb is not a QB leading a team and if you cant see the dif then it is a waste of time. I like Cobb but returning a td is just not the same as leading a team at QB.

The stats, Dalton has 4 more tds and 2 less game killing interceptions and a slightly higher rating. So I guess you are looking at the vultured tds from the goalline cause that is all you got. Dalton has better stats against better defenses.

Winning is in fact what matters and Dalton is doing a much better job than Cam with similiar stats. The Bengals and Panthers both sucked last year only one sux this year and its Cams team.

Randall Cobb is not a QB leading a team and if you cant see the dif then it is a waste of time. I like Cobb but returning a td is just not the same as leading a team at QB.

The stats, Dalton has 4 more tds and 2 less game killing interceptions and a slightly higher rating. So I guess you are looking at the vultured tds from the goalline cause that is all you got. Dalton has better stats against better defenses.

Winning is in fact what matters and Dalton is doing a much better job than Cam with similiar stats. The Bengals and Panthers both sucked last year only one sux this year and its Cams team.

Cam Newton is going to shatter almost every rookie QB record this year. That's in the entire history of rookie QB's. Think about that for just one second.

But you want to give the Rookie of the Year award to another guy who isn't doing that but happens to play on a more talented team and the team has a few more wins so far this season.

What kind of backwards ass logic is that?

Cam Newton is going to shatter almost every rookie QB record this year. That's in the entire history of rookie QB's. Think about that for just one second.

Here's one for you. The Dalton led Bengals have come from 10 points down in the 2nd half to win 3 times this year. That ties an all time (not just rookies) NFL record. Just playing devil's advocate.

If Cam could make this Panthers team a winner this year, he would be the greatest rookie to ever put on pads. Seriously, he would deserve MVP recognition. He's a great player, not Jesus Christ.

BOO-YAH!! :cheers:

Here's one for you. The Dalton led Bengals have come from 10 points down in the 2nd half to win 3 times this year. That ties an all time (not just rookies) NFL record. Just playing devil's advocate.

Don't get me wrong on this. Andy Dalton is having a great year for a rookie QB. I'm really impressed (as is everybody), the guy looks more like a 5 year veteran out there than a rookie QB in the NFL. He deserves praise and lots of it. As does AJ Green for that team; that guy is going to be stud.

They're just not the Rookie of the Year for 2011. Cam Newton is, and it's not really close.

I really think most folks (non Bengal fans like yourself) pushing for Dalton are doing so because they were totally wrong about Cam Newton before the season. There was a huge backlash against the guy pre-draft for a variety of reasons. They somehow feel that if somebody else wins ROY it helps validate them somehow as they weren't "totally" wrong or something. So they cling to arguements like "But look at the team records" and "Newton only cares about stats!@#!" stuff.

:dunno:

I see Dalton and I think to myself... "man, he is really playing well."

I see Newton play and I think to myself, "Man, he could revolutionize the QB position as we know it and has the tools to be the greatest of all time."

And that ability has translated to record breaking production on the football field. I would guarantee every GM in the NFL would take Newton over Dalton and not think twice. That is why he is the ROY.

Against common opponents (Jax, Ten, Indy):

Dalton:  68 for 104 (65.4%) 660yds 6TD's 1 INT  98.3 QB Rating

Newton: 61 for 101 (60.4%) 578yds1 TD 1 INT  77.67 QB Rating

Dalton:  68 for 104 (65.4%) 660yds 6TD's 1 INT  98.3 QB Rating

Newton: 61 for 101 (60.4%) 578yds1 TD 1 INT  77.67 QB Rating

Very nice

Dalton: 68 for 104 (65.4%) 660yds 6TD's 1 INT 98.3 QB Rating

Newton: 61 for 101 (60.4%) 578yds1 TD 1 INT 77.67 QB Rating

Very nice

Yeah, it's nice for arguments sake, which is all that's happening here now. Bengal/Dalton fans are trying so hard to find anything that will aid their argument. And shovel already admitted earlier he was playing devil's advocate.

If you're serious and believe Big Red should win it, good for you. But prepared to be let down when the award actually comes out.

Cam and Dalton have each won off. Rookie of the month as well as D. Murray who just won for Nov. If one of them wins Dec. it would seem that would be the fave to win for the year.

If Dallas makes the playoffs...which I think is a good bet, it will larger be because of the play of Murray, IMO. Look out for the dark horse to steal the ROY :first:

Newton has thrown about the same amount of touchdowns as he has thrown touchdowns. You could factor in the amount of touchdowns he has scored rushing, but I'd like to see my QB be an effective passer before he has to rush outside of the pocket. This is what a running back is for.

This is why I wouldn't consider him rookie of the year.

Newton has thrown about the same amount of touchdowns as he has thrown touchdowns.

Hard to argue with that logic. :banana:

Newton has thrown about the same amount of touchdowns as he has thrown touchdowns. You could factor in the amount of touchdowns he has scored rushing, but I'd like to see my QB be an effective passer before he has to rush outside of the pocket. This is what a running back is for.

This is why I wouldn't consider him rookie of the year.

more stupidity, and no I'm not talking about the first line either. Ugh the sheer level of stupidity displayed in this thread is amazing. You like to see your qb be an effective passer before he has to rush outside the pocket. Thanks lombardi, I'm sure that opinion will resonate throughout the league! That is what a running back is for huh. Here's a hint, TDs are TDs, and if you score more points than your opponent, you win a game! And whether your qb runs it in or passes it in, or your rb runs it in, they all count for 6 pts. please refrain from displaying further stupidity for your own sake. TIA

more stupidity, and no I'm not talking about the first line either. Ugh the sheer level of stupidity displayed in this thread is amazing. You like to see your qb be an effective passer before he has to rush outside the pocket. Thanks lombardi, I'm sure that opinion will resonate throughout the league! That is what a running back is for huh. Here's a hint, TDs are TDs, and if you score more points than your opponent, you win a game! And whether your qb runs it in or passes it in, or your rb runs it in, they all count for 6 pts. please refrain from displaying further stupidity for your own sake. TIA

Cam Newton has not scored more points than his opponent.

And I meant he has a poor touchdown-interception ratio to all you who quoted me.

I guess I value keeping the ball in my possession over more people here. If you think throwing more interceptions than half of the league means rookie of the year, then I suppose we have different opinions.

The running touchdowns is all he has going for him. It may work right now, and I'd he could throw the ball, he would be top five. His running game won't last his whole career, and when that starts to happen and assuming he'll throw his interceptions, he'll be an average QB. Maybe even less.

Ok, hopefully my last post about this. If Dalton leads the Bengals to the playoffs, going through Pitt and Baltimore in these last 5 games...I say he wins it.

The running touchdowns is all he has going for him..

You do realize Cam Newton is on pace to throw for like 4500 yards this year right?

It's as if some of you have never watched the guy play in the NFL before. It's very odd to keep reading this nonsense. :unsure:

So lemme get this straight. The guy is going to shatter almost every rookie QB record, but the only thing he will ever be good at is rushing TD's. Think about that statement, and hopefully you can see the outright stupidity of it. :blink:

Oh, and rushing TD's don't really count or anything. They are like fake, magical TD's that don't mean anything. They don't help or anything, they are just for funzies. :overhead:

You do realize Cam Newton is on pace to throw for like 4500 yards this year right?

It's as if some of you have never watched the guy play in the NFL before. It's very odd to keep reading this nonsense. :unsure:

So lemme get this straight. The guy is going to shatter almost every rookie QB record, but the only thing he will ever be good at is rushing TD's. Think about that statement, and hopefully you can see the outright stupidity of it. :blink:

Oh, and rushing TD's don't really count or anything. They are like fake, magical TD's that don't mean anything. They don't help or anything, they are just for funzies. :overhead:

It's almost as comical as the comparisons to Jamarcus Russell I was seeing on here before the season started.

Yards don't mean #### if you're going to LOSE MOST OF THE GAMES AND THROW 22 INTERCEPTIONS.

So what records is he going to break besides passing yards. Is it the interception record? The least amount of wins record?

Rushing touchdowns do count. I never said otherwise. I did say, however, that I prefer an efficient passing quarterback over a guy such as Newton who just rushes for scores.

Newton is a FANTASY FOOTBALL quarterback. Not a great NFL quarterback. He's good, maybe average, but he isn't rookie of the year material when others such as Dalton have clearly done better.

Most of the rushing tds are just gimmies from inside the 1 yard line. All he is doing is taking what the runningback would get on 99% of teams. What is impressive about that? And when you are playing from behind and throwing the entire game a yardage record dont mean crap to me. Again he will win the award but its not because he has played better than Dalton. 14 interceptions to 12 passing tds and a losing record because of it.

Most of the rushing tds are just gimmies from inside the 1 yard line. All he is doing is taking what the runningback would get on 99% of teams. What is impressive about that? And when you are playing from behind and throwing the entire game a yardage record dont mean crap to me. Again he will win the award but its not because he has played better than Dalton. 14 interceptions to 12 passing tds and a losing record because of it.

This post just proves the stupidity of those supporting Dalton. Dalton has 12 INTs, Cam has 14. People supporting Dalton have been saying how Cam is an INT machine, but Dalton is right there with him. Hmmm, better come up with something better Dalton supporters - because right now you sound like idiots.

Cam has more passing yards, more TDs, more rushing yards, etc... Dalton has a team with a defense.

Through 11 games, the 2011 Carolina Panthers have scored 56 more points than the 2010 Carolina Panthers did in SIXTEEN games. The 2010 Panthers were outscored by an average of 13.5 points per game. The 2011 Panthers have been outscored by an average of under 5 points per game. The defense has actually given up more points per game this season than they did last season. The difference and reason the Panthers are competitive this year is mainly Cam Newton. Cam Newton has superstar ability.

Andy Dalton has been a great story. He can be a solid QB in this league for a long time in my opinion. But the reason the Bengals have 7 wins this season is because their defense is much improved. The 2010 Bengals gave up almost 25 points per game. The 2011 Bengals are giving up less than 20 points per game.

Based on the above and the fact that Newton's overall stats are better than Dalton's, I think Newton is the ROY this season, and I don't think it is very close. Newton has given the Carolina Panthers hope a year after they looked hopeless.

i hope some of yall dummies watched the carolina game today, and if you did I hope you're not so dumb that you can't see what a stud this kid is. And that you're not too dumb to understand that extending drives by running the ball for 21 yards on 3rd and 11 is not the same as 'all he is is a run first qb'

dummies