Sign in to follow this  
sportsfreak2744

I'm telling you, avoid Ryan Mathews next year

If Felix Jones is made of glass, Ryan Mathews is made of tissue paper. Wet tissue paper.

This guy gets hurt 3 times a week during practice and then 3 more times during a game. I had him last year and he was the same way. Then when he plays he gets vultured by Tolbert.

Sure, he's got "elite" talent. I guess. At least that's what everyone says. But I have yet to be "wowed" by him by the other backs that are elite.

Word for the wise.

I wonder if everyone is going to call him injury prone and his draft status will drop to like 4th-5th round where i'd be happy to take him because of his upside

I had this lame last year too. Total disappointment.

I was completely done with him after he reportedly failed his conditioning test at the start of training camp.

What makes him even more of a question mark in 2012 is the possibility of a new head coach. Buyer beware indeed.

If Felix Jones is made of glass, Ryan Mathews is made of tissue paper. Wet tissue paper.

This guy gets hurt 3 times a week during practice and then 3 more times during a game. I had him last year and he was the same way. Then when he plays he gets vultured by Tolbert.

Sure, he's got "elite" talent. I guess. At least that's what everyone says. But I have yet to be "wowed" by him by the other backs that are elite.

Word for the wise.

except hes clearly one of the most explosive backs in the game, and Tolbert is likely gone with Turner.

Mathews should have been the Chargers short yardage back all season, as Tolbert couldnt convert or catch worth a damm. I will gladly take top 5 potential in the 2nd round, and even with injury concerns.

I actually like Ryan Mathews a lot next year -- if you can get him as your #2 RB in the second round. Talent-wise, he's undoubtedly worthy of first-round consideration, but I think his well-publicized injury issues will push him down draft-boards. I wouldn't want to rely on him as my #1 RB; however, he'd be a fantastic high risk/reward RB to pair with someone who is a bit more steady (i.e. Maurice Jones-Drew or Ray Rice, etc.).

:dunno:

Its all about value for me. His rookie year he was way over hyped and people were drafting him in the 1st round/top of the 2nd. Gladly I stayed away. This year he was extremely undervalued and I jumped on him in all my drafts getting him as my RB3. He easily outperformed his ADP this year and I'll have no problems taking him again next year but I won't do it any earlier than late 2nd round for reasons OP stated and Tolbert vulturing touchdowns. A lot also depends on who replaces Norv in SD.

Am I missing something here? The guy finished as the 6th highest RB in my PPR league after being the 22nd RB off the board. If I had picked him instead of Jahvid Best (who I took one pick earlier) I'd have likely won 3 more games than I did. He's not any more allergic to the endzone than Matt Forte and was an outstanding value based on where he went.

Yea he's 7th in my league and missed a game. I'm gonna keep spreading the he sucks story though so I can pick him up later than he's worth.

Yea he's 7th in my league and missed a game. I'm gonna keep spreading the he sucks story though so I can pick him up later than he's worth.

you're right...that guy is a worthless fockin bum. :thumbsup:

I drafted him his rookie year and after all his injuries I told myself to stay away from him this year. Put my little X next to his name on my cheat sheet and figured let him be someone elses problem.

Then came draft day and there he was sitting there in the 5th round. I said to myself he has way more potential then any other back left on the board and said f it and took him. Same thing happened in another league except this time it was the 6th round. My friends were all busting on me saying I thought you hated him and Tolberts the better back. I made the playoffs in both leagues riding him as my #2RB/Flex so whos laughing now :thumbsup:

Theres one thing to be cautious about somebody, but when the value outweighs the risk you have to jump on it IMO.

Some of my friends say "oh i'll never draft anyone from the Patriots because I hate that team so much". Yea I hate them too but im not going to let it cloud my judgement on draft day.

That said he is injury prone and I probably won't take him in the first two rounds. But if he falls a bit I may draft his fragile ass again next year.

Yeah, he's terrible. Like that 2 TD game against the Baltimore defense that got me into the Fantasy Bowl. Terrible. Don't draft him.

I wonder if everyone is going to call him injury prone and his draft status will drop to like 4th-5th round where i'd be happy to take him because of his upside

Uh, he was injury prone last year. He'll definitely be called just that next year and you can have him in the 4-5th be my guest.

First of all I never said he was "terrible" or a "worthless 'fockin' bum." He is clearly a good back when healthy but that's the problem. I don't think he's special. I'm surprised at how many of you are defending him so much. You clearly didn't own him last year. He is a headache and that will continue.

Just remember I told you so.

EDIT: I just looked up some stats. His production is so average! I can't believe you guys. He only has 2 games in his career over 100 yards if you take out the 3 games all versus Denver. Yea yea I know those games count but I think that shows something.

EDIT: I just looked up some stats. His production is so average! I can't believe you guys. He only has 2 games in his career over 100 yards if you take out the 3 games all versus Denver. Yea yea I know those games count but I think that shows something.

Here's Mathews weekly point-total in my league...

WEEK 1: 11 pts.

WEEK 2: 18 pts.

WEEK 3: 26 pts.

WEEK 4: 13 pts.

WEEK 5: 12 pts.

WEEK 6: BYE

WEEK 7: 5 pts.

WEEK 8: 8 pts.

WEEK 9: DNP

WEEK 10: 5 pts.

WEEK 11: 0 pts.

WEEK 12: 13 pts.

WEEK 13: 17 pts.

WEEK 14: 14 pts.

WEEK 15: 21 pts.

WEEK 16: 6 pts.

Basically, Mathews was pretty good at the beginning and end of the year (i.e. Weeks 1-5 & Weeks 12-15) and not so good in the middle of the year (Weeks 7-11). Still, he ended up averaging 12 pts/game in my league's scoring, and I'll gladly take that type of scoring from my #2 RB.

As far as Mathews' lack of 100-yard rushing games, you have to consider the fact that he's been losing carries as a result of Tolbert's vulturing, Norv's bad play-calling, and injury. There were 5 games this season in which Mathews received 20+ carries. In each of those games, he netted close to 100 yards rushing (98 yds./125 yds./137 yds./114 yds./90 yds.). Oddly enough, the Chargers were 4-1 in those games.

We will see whats going to happen to Norv Turner. RB always do better with him around then after he leaves. Its been like that for 10 years. Think there is at least 4-5 articles on the Norv Turner Effect.

dunno--i drafted the #6 PPR back in the 4th round, which was exactly where i had targeted him to get value.

hope everyone worries about tolbert and the injuries next season, too.

:thumbsdown:

as many noted he finished 6th overall, missing 1 game. I only play PPR he is a dynamic receiver, the only thing that kept him off the field was pass protection. When the Chargers changed the game plan to involve him as the center of the offense, he really showed the type of back he could be.

He could EASILY move into the top 5. Rice, Mccoy, Foster are the ONLY sure things at RB, and ask AP owners how them sure things are. He might get banged up but I hope tons of people are scared off of him next year as well, I would love to sit picking like 8th and go Calvin/Mathews

Fragility rankings:

1. Felix Jones

2. Ryan Mathews

3. Mr. Glass (Elijah Price) from Unbreakable

Me too! I'm telling everyone in my league not to draft him either! - he fockn' socks.

Mathews will be a top 10 back next season. He'll be in his 3rd season (contract year = motivation) and the vulture Tolbert will be gone via FA.

RM will see those goal line touches next season. Also, SD shore up thr O line to help Rivers; thus helping Mathews as well.

I'll bet the poster called Lynch tissue paper, or a waste, when he got hurt during warmups and sat earlier in the year too.

as many noted he finished 6th overall, missing 1 game. I only play PPR he is a dynamic receiver, the only thing that kept him off the field was pass protection. When the Chargers changed the game plan to involve him as the center of the offense, he really showed the type of back he could be.

He could EASILY move into the top 5. Rice, Mccoy, Foster are the ONLY sure things at RB, and ask AP owners how them sure things are. He might get banged up but I hope tons of people are scared off of him next year as well, I would love to sit picking like 8th and go Calvin/Mathews

I'll admit. My opinion of this dude is based on his struggles during his rookie year. I was so pissed and frustrated at that mofo.

But he's the reincarnation of Glass Joe. This bastard can never go 3 weeks without getting nicked up to some degree.

I'll still allow someone else to take a chance on him. I'll go with a Marshawn Lynch or a Mendenhall before him.

Oh, and BTW, he's inactive today. Doh.

As I mentioned above, he's Glass Freakin' Joe.

:doh: