Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Houston Texans @ Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore -7.5 Houston: Two teams couldn't be much more evenly matched statistically. Offenses: 23.6 vs 23.8 ppg. #13 offense vs #15. Each has given up 33 sacks. Both top 5 defenses.

Ravens won 29-14 during the regular season at Baltimore. Andre Johnson didn't play for Houston; Matt Schaub did. Baltimore's veteran DB give Yates too many looks to deal with, generating a big turnover somewhere along the line. Ravens by 10.

I'm having a hard time understanding what some of these DCs are thinking in the playoffs:

Saints DC Gregg Williams doesn't throw constant double teams against Calvin last week and gets burned for 200+ yards. He then fails to give his LBs any help as Vernon Davis burns him for nearly 200 more.

Denver abandons its double-teaming approach against Welker and Gronk and gets lit up for six scores.

Houston takes its shadow CB Johnathan Joseph and puts him on Torrey Smith when Boldin is coming off knee surgery. If you are truly more scared of Smith than Boldin, why not put a safety over the top of him and leave Joseph on Boldin (particularly when Joseph is familiar with him)?

Yeah, I don't remember who called Foster a system back....but he's not. Not at all.

Yeah, just like college spread QBs, people are quick to say a RB in a zone-blocking system is a system RB because others "nobodies" have put up big numbers, so therefore this guy must be a "system" guy too.

Anyone that watched him at the tail end of 2009 could tell you he wasn't a system back. System backs in the NFL don't run for 1600 yards.

I'm having a hard time understanding what some of these DCs are thinking in the playoffs:

Saints DC Gregg Williams doesn't throw constant double teams against Calvin last week and gets burned for 200+ yards. He then fails to give his LBs any help as Vernon Davis burns him for nearly 200 more.

Denver abandons its double-teaming approach against Welker and Gronk and gets lit up for six scores.

Houston takes its shadow CB Johnathan Joseph and puts him on Torrey Smith when Boldin is coming off knee surgery. If you are truly more scared of Smith than Boldin, why not put a safety over the top of him and leave Joseph on Boldin (particularly when Joseph is familiar with him)?

In overtime when the only thing you can't do is give up a TD, D^ck plays 10 guys on line of scrimmage leaving Ike Taylor on an island after proving ALL GAME that for some unknown reason he couldn't cover. It's like he was playing a 1 yard to go goalline defense on 1st and 10

Ricky wouldve gotten that.

Rice just dont have a nose for the EZ like the greats.

Houstons offense is going to lose the game - the playcalling is focking chicken-azz vanilla. You have to get a couple first downs, even starting on your own 1 yard line. I hate when teams do that.... might as well punt on first down. Dont play scared. The Ravens will eventually hit a play and then Houston is down by two scores and screwed.

Quit playing not to lose - you are BEHIND and can NOT win the game with less points than your opponent. Morons.

Houstons offense is going to lose the game - the playcalling is focking chicken-azz vanilla. You have to get a couple first downs, even starting on your own 1 yard line. I hate when teams do that.... might as well punt on first down. Dont play scared. The Ravens will eventually hit a play and then Houston is down by two scores and screwed.

Quit playing not to lose - you are BEHIND and can NOT win the game with less points than your opponent. Morons.

:thumbsup:

If the Ravens win it will be in spite of the statue formerly known as a QB.

Dunno why I keep watching with Yates wanting to pass the ball to the purples so much.

With Schaab, Texans would have ran away with this game. A rookie vs. the Ravens defense will never end well

So after all the hype following Ryan and Flacco's rookie season's they are both now on par with Alex Smith.

Actually, I might be selling Smith a little short...

So after all the hype following Ryan and Flacco's rookie season's they are both now on par with Alex Smith.

Actually, I might be selling Smith a little short...

Smith looks like the real deal, he has suffered from really bad coaching the last few years. Ryan with Turner, Gonzo, White, Jones, Douglass in a Dome most of the time......he may be drastically, drastically overrated.

It's a good game coming down to the final drive. Can the Texan's find the endzone with 2:00 to go?

In overtime when the only thing you can't do is give up a TD, D^ck plays 10 guys on line of scrimmage leaving Ike Taylor on an island after proving ALL GAME that for some unknown reason he couldn't cover. It's like he was playing a 1 yard to go goalline defense on 1st and 10

Great point. So make that four highly questionable calls, three by highly respected DCs.

It's a good game coming down to the final drive. Can the Texan's find the endzone with 2:00 to go?

Classic rookie fixation with one WR, he was going that way no matter what

It will set up a better championship game anyway

Classic rookie fixation with one WR.

Yeah, it will make a better game but still - what a focking waste of a defensive performance. TJ Yates actually kind of sucks. The running game and defense has "hidden" him for weeks and weeks now. Rookie or not, he really should have had like 6-7 interceptions. Just terrible.

Classic rookie fixation with one WR, he was going that way no matter what

Andre Johnson didn't even try to catch the ball at its highest point. His hands were about chest high at best. And that's why Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss could continually beat double coverage, and AJ will never hit the 10 TD mark for his career.

Brady is gonna drop 50 pts on the ravens D as well....Yates was terrible....Ashame the texans didn't have Schaub. This game would have been over.

Plus Jacoby Jones muffed punt was a joke, complete moron

Game felt more like Houston lost it then Baltimore won it.

Ravens will have to play a billion times better next week if they want to hang with the Pats.

Houston looks to be really good if Shaub gets healthy and Mario Williams returns to an already stellar D.

Dierdorf: "There's going into Foxboro with confidence."

Good golly, I hate some of these cliches. More to the point, however, ff you have a potential HOFer at every level of the defense and Defensive POTY candidate in Suggs all playing, you should feel pretty good about your chances in any game. On offense, I guarantee you BAL will run the ball better next week.

I didn't see anything - other than the typical late-game management of Cam Cameron - that makes me believe BAL can't beat NE next week.

Brady is gonna drop 50 pts on the ravens D as well

He better. Don't be fooled by last night; Pats defense still very suspect. The ability to stop Denver's limited offense isn't that big a deal.

Houston came in as a Top 5 D playing as well as they have all year.

Dierdorf: "There's going into Foxboro with confidence."

Good golly, I hate some of these cliches. More to the point, however, ff you have a potential HOFer at every level of the defense and Defensive POTY candidate in Suggs all playing, you should feel pretty good about your chances in any game. On offense, I guarantee you BAL will run the ball better next week.

I didn't see anything - other than the typical late-game management of Cam Cameron - that makes me believe BAL can't beat NE next week.

On the road instead of home.

Brady instead of Yates.

Not sure what game you were watching ....Ravens were inept on offense as usual

On the road instead of home.

Brady instead of Yates.

Not sure what game you were watching ....Ravens were inept on offense as usual

Not saying the Ravens looked good today, but I highly doubt NE will be able to turn this game into a track meet. If these playoffs have reminded me of anything, it is that one-dimensional teams tend not to last very long. Rice doesn't have consecutive bad games and I highly doubt the Ravens rush three and allow the Pats' TEs to score four times. And if Foxboro is enjoying a stiff breeze come next weekend, I'd like to see how long NE can stick with its Hernandez-led ground game. :P

Andre Johnson didn't even try to catch the ball at its highest point. His hands were about chest high at best. And that's why Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss could continually beat double coverage, and AJ will never hit the 10 TD mark for his career.

Give the guy a break. He's missed most of the season because of two hamstring injuries. He's not 100% yet and hasn't had much practice with a new QB.

wow, so 100 yards after two severe hamstring pulls this year does nothing for you? okayyy tough guy :rolleyes:

Game felt more like Houston lost it then Baltimore won it.

Ravens will have to play a billion times better next week if they want to hang with the Pats.

Houston looks to be really good if Shaub gets healthy and Mario Williams returns to an already stellar D.

:thumbsup:

wow, so 100 yards after two severe hamstring pulls this year does nothing for you? okayyy tough guy :rolleyes:

check the 3:25 mark on that interception. It's like AJ didn't even try to get the ball with 2:00 left and the game on the line. At least get your hands above your shoulders please. Or how about this, jump for the damn ball. How can such a prolific receiver never get to the 10td mark?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826077be/Texans-vs-Ravens-highlights

check the 3:25 mark on that interception. It's like AJ didn't even try to get the ball with 2:00 left and the game on the line. At least get your hands above your shoulders please. Or how about this, jump for the damn ball. How can such a prolific receiver never get to the 10td mark?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826077be/Texans-vs-Ravens-highlights

It's called play calling. Kubiak always prefers to run in the red zone.