Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Reasons Obama is a shoe-in for re-election

Santorum is a dangerous man. WAY too much government.

LOL... this is a bit ridiculous.

The social issues are a strawman from the real issues. Its just a fact that dems are weaker on the economy than repubs. They tend to be stronger on freedom on social issues. Thats why the conversation is perpetually diverted from real issues to the smokescreens...

Thats why Obama went to pass HC entitlement bloat instead of 'pivoting' to jobs and the economy... You have the economy tanking as bad as it ever had since the great depression, and it requires the president to 'pivot' to address it years later...but he never actually addressed anything.

Any republican would be substantially better on the economy than obama. Its just a fact. lowering unnessessary overhead, lowering taxes will stimulate the economy. Presidents don't create jobs, they create a nurturing environment for the private sector to create them... They make it easier to be profitable. Thats what they do to help people.

Give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish... its that simple.

On sort of a related note the GOP elite probably should realize that '12 isn't their year and hand the base the red meat candidate they seem to want. The only thing worse than losing an election is losing an election when the candidate is foisted on you by the party elite and didn't appear to represent your views anyway.

I know a lot of Republicans who felt really betrayed by John McCain in 2008 and they're going to resent being forced to vote for Mitt this time.

My two cents.

I agree...in that sense, I hope Santorum gets the nomination so the tea party realizes they are in the vast minority. I would have my doubts that Santorum would get 1 independent vote in the entire country. As a person, I think Santorum seems like a sincere man, which is one of the few things I like about him, but I would never vote for him based on his social views.

so I stand by my reply to KSB that it's OK to recognize that your personal beliefs may not be enforcable or right or legal for everyone but that those personal beliefs still matter and may make you unelectable.

You realize what you are saying it that if you are a christian you shouldn't run for office... Its a pretty damning statement when you put it that way.

I think you should be able to have a viewpoint that abortion is wrong, its selfish, encourage people not to have them as they'll live with that guilt for the rest of their lives... Without making it illegal... A moral compass has value in todays society to a certain extent. People are so selfish and short sighted these days...

people don't want to hear that they are stupid, they want to be glorifeid as being courageous for doing stupid zhit... Make a moronic decision on a way too expensive house? Take out way too much debt to go to that crappy fingerpainting college? Decide not to pay the fee for firefighter services while cooking indoors on a firepit? Decide you'd rather buy hypnotiq with your disability checks rather than diapers? go get an abortion.

They want liberal govt to tell them its not their fault, and that someone else is to blame, and someone else will pay...

Its possible that politicians can do that too. It's a tough thing though moreso for a religious person as they have to have the ability to stay true to themselves and their belief system while also understanding that it is their belief systema and doesn't necessarily need to be the rule of gov't rather the proper channels should decide what the rules are. I don't know if Santorum is like that or not but it possible.

I mean lest take your boy Obama. He goes to church. He talks about faith and we see pics of him and the family going to church. I'm not sure about his church, but I think its safe to say his pastor preaches against abortion.

So is Obama a hypocrite for being pro-choice? Or is he just seperating his church from his gov't?

FYI... he's not.

He believes abortion and gay marriage should be banned at the federal level, he does not think gays should be able to serve in the military, and he tried to pass an Amendment to the NCLB Act to mandate the teaching of creationism in public science classes.

He is not one of those people.

I disagree. I actually expect Obama to be reelected, and I expect the Dems to win seats in the house and the senate.

I think you might be the first person I've seen in the last 2 years to predict that the Dems win seats in the Senate. Even the blatant liberal media outlets at CNN and their ilk have gone with the line that since so many Dem seat are up for grabs, and there is so much anger at incumbents, it would be stunning if the Republicans didn't have control of both houses after the national election. Interesting prediction, but it is the path less traveled I suppose.

The social issues are a strawman from the real issues. Its just a fact that dems are weaker on the economy than repubs. They tend to be stronger on freedom on social issues. Thats why the conversation is perpetually diverted from real issues to the smokescreens...

Isn't it the repubs who are consistently bringing up this "family values", anti-abortion, anti-gay nonsense come election time? :dunno:

You realize what you are saying it that if you are a christian you shouldn't run for office... Its a pretty damning statement when you put it that way.

I think you should be able to have a viewpoint that abortion is wrong, its selfish, encourage people not to have them as they'll live with that guilt for the rest of their lives... Without making it illegal... A moral compass has value in todays society to a certain extent. People are so selfish and short sighted these days...

I'm saying that if you're any sort of religious extremist you shouldn't run for office.

The key is to understand where the line between acceptable and extreme is.

Saying gay equals pedophile or bestiality - is pretty extreme to me.

Is it acceptable or not extreme to you?

is that what you're saying?

where's your line between extreme and acceptable?

There's 2 levels to this discussion:

1. can a candidate's personal views make him unelectable even though the candidate knows those views are to be separate from his public life (KSBs original point)

2. Are Santorum's personal views too extreme to make him electable?

Obviouly I think some of Santorum's beliefs are too extreme but before you even discuss Santorum, can you agree that a candidates personal beliefs matter regardless of how much he wants to separate them from his public life?

FYI... he's not.

He believes abortion and gay marriage should be banned at the federal level, he does not think gays should be able to serve in the military, and he tried to pass an Amendment to the NCLB Act to mandate the teaching of creationism in public science classes.

He is not one of those people.

Well, those are minor issues, aren't they?

I mean, science is ridiculous at its core and wrong all the time about everything. Physics is about to scrap everything and start over with the God particle mess. So, it's probably best to not teach science in schools because it's bullsh!t.

As far as fagguts, they keep going around claiming without any scientific evidence (not that you can trust science) that they were born with a different genetic makeups than human beings, chromosomes and all that jazz. So, they are claiming they are the same as retards. Do you think retards should be allowed to serve in the military? I don't. So why should we let homo retards in the military? Just doesn't make any sense. Plus, then you have to have separate living quarters for broads, h0m0s, and actual soldiers. That'll cost ya.

And if killing a baby in the tummy is not illegal, then somebody better fix the Scott Peterson verdict of being guilty of two murders.

:selfhighfive:

Your Rick Perry slave comment was.

HTH

OK, then substitute "Candidate X" for Rick Perry and re-read it.

actually, nevermind - I didn't specify whether Candidate X is a republican or democrat.

Repubilcan having extreme personal views that make him unelectable = you disargee with me

Democrat having extreme personal views that make him unelectable = you agree with me.

so in the end, your opinion is both predictable and irrelevant. :thumbsup:

Since we are getting into hypotheticals.........What if Obama decided he could kill an American citizen without charges, a trial, or a conviction? Would that be outlandish? Oh wait, that isn't hypothetical.

But Rubiejr is losing sleep cuz someone told him Santorum wants to ban contraceptives.

I'm not losing one second of sleep. I'm hoping the GOP chooses a radical wingnut like Santorum. That just makes re-election that much easier. :music_guitarred: (Oh, and 'ouch', you called me RubieJr)

Well, those are minor issues, aren't they?

I mean, science is ridiculous at its core and wrong all the time about everything. Physics is about to scrap everything and start over with the God particle mess. So, it's probably best to not teach science in schools because it's bullsh!t.

As far as fagguts, they keep going around claiming without any scientific evidence (not that you can trust science) that they were born with a different genetic makeups than human beings, chromosomes and all that jazz. So, they are claiming they are the same as retards. Do you think retards should be allowed to serve in the military? I don't. So why should we let homo retards in the military? Just doesn't make any sense. Plus, then you have to have separate living quarters for broads, h0m0s, and actual soldiers. That'll cost ya.

And if killing a baby in the tummy is not illegal, then somebody better fix the Scott Peterson verdict of being guilty of two murders.

:selfhighfive:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry after reading this but I felt compelled to reply with something.

I'm saying that if you're any sort of religious extremist you shouldn't run for office.

The key is to understand where the line between acceptable and extreme is.

Saying gay equals pedophile or bestiality - is pretty extreme to me.

Is it acceptable or not extreme to you?

is that what you're saying?

where's your line between extreme and acceptable?

There's 2 levels to this discussion:

1. can a candidate's personal views make him unelectable even though the candidate knows those views are to be separate from his public life (KSBs original point)

2. Are Santorum's personal views too extreme to make him electable?

Obviouly I think some of Santorum's beliefs are too extreme but before you even discuss Santorum, can you agree that a candidates personal beliefs matter regardless of how much he wants to separate them from his public life?

His christian belief is that living a gay lifestyle is living in sin. I would guess that he doesn't believe that people are 'gay' vs 'straight' it is simply the lifestyle choices that people make, and while engaged in that lifestyle they are committing sin.

Marriage is a religious sacrament, not simply a designation that afford you certain tax rights and benefits.

Considering that marriage in our non secular society has turned into a complete disaster over the years with >50% divorce rate, and the subsequent linked issues of broken families and people struggling from the aftermath, there is a HUGE societal cost due to the crumbling of marriage in our society.

The answer to both your questions:

1.) can a persons views make them unelectable, yes

2.) Are santorems views extreme? from a christian point of view, no they aren't.For others they will be.

Is santorem unelectable? In my view, yes... While I don't agree with all his views though, I respect the fact that he is consistent and unwavering with them... In this political climate the only way to win is to be a flipflopping weasel without getting called on it by the MSM... Is that a good thing? No.

I think Obama has been a fine president. Hasn't started any wars of consequence, ended the war in Iraq, saved the US auto industry, enacted near-universal health care, killed Osama bin Laden, took out Qaddafi, appears to have finally turned the economy around for a horrible crash in '08...

Yes he has a few weaknesses, as does every leader. For example, he will need to get spending under control in his second term. But that should be a lot easier to accomplish with a healthy economy.

I will gladly vote for him again in November. :thumbsup:

I think the biggest impediment to Obama running away with the election is: last time around he got unprecedented numbers of blacks to come out and vote... for him of course. I think most of them still would vote for him, but the question is: will they make the same effort they did last time and actually get their asses to the voting booth?

Relatedly, I think the Republicans are going to make Voter ID and fraud a huge issue this election. They are going to want to stop the Obama bum buses.

OK, then substitute "Candidate X" for Rick Perry and re-read it.

actually, nevermind - I didn't specify whether Candidate X is a republican or democrat.

Repubilcan having extreme personal views that make him unelectable = you disargee with me

Democrat having extreme personal views that make him unelectable = you agree with me.

so in the end, your opinion is both predictable and irrelevant. :thumbsup:

I don't think you know what "hypothetical" means.

I think Obama has been a fine president. Hasn't started any wars of consequence, ended the war in Iraq, saved the US auto industry, enacted near-universal health care, killed Osama bin Laden, took out Qaddafi, appears to have finally turned the economy around for a horrible crash in '08...

Yes he has a few weaknesses, as does every leader. For example, he will need to get spending under control in his second term. But that should be a lot easier to accomplish with a healthy economy.

I will gladly vote for him again in November. :thumbsup:

You need to take the viewpoint that the economy has already turned around... You think controlling spending by Obama in a final term is going to be alot easier? Crazy. If he cared one iota about the economy he would have pushed the bowles simpson plan he commissioned.

The govt loves to enact 'committees' to explore the major issues of our times, make sound recommendations, and get buried under the rug...

The guy is a rooster in the henhouse.... He has to go.

$1 Billion Campaign Fund backed by big money

News Media Darling

Racist Voters

Voter fraud, people being paid to vote, dead people voting, prisoners voting, etc.

Voter intimidation

Uninformed voters

Class Warfare

Racial Warfare

Sex Warfare

It should be a cake walk.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

- Ben Franklin

You need to take the viewpoint that the economy has already turned around... You think controlling spending by Obama in a final term is going to be alot easier? Crazy. If he cared one iota about the economy he would have pushed the bowles simpson plan he commissioned.

The govt loves to enact 'committees' to explore the major issues of our times, make sound recommendations, and get buried under the rug...

The guy is a rooster in the henhouse.... He has to go.

I wish he had gone with Bowles Simpson too, although I highly doubt he would have gotten it through Congress (both parties were dissatisfied with it...which is exactly why it was a great compromise). Anyway, like I said, he has not been perfect.

But yes, I do think he can reign in spending in his second term. Keep in mind that a lot of the spending these past five years has been on bailouts and other emergency measures to keep the economy afloat (need I remind you that Bush did it too?). If the economy really has turned the corner, as seems to be the case, then we won't need that kind of spending anymore.

And a healthier economy = increased tax revenue. So that will help too. Some tough choices will still have to be made though, and I hope that Obama and Congress will be up to the task.

I think the biggest impediment to Obama running away with the election is: last time around he got unprecedented numbers of blacks to come out and vote... for him of course. I think most of them still would vote for him, but the question is: will they make the same effort they did last time and actually get their asses to the voting booth?

Relatedly, I think the Republicans are going to make Voter ID and fraud a huge issue this election. They are going to want to stop the Obama bum buses.

Holy cow, how much more ignorant can you get? I don't really appreciate the inference that the only reason we have this awful liberal president is that the blacks voted in one of their own kind. And it's also wrong. Blacks make up how much of the population? And don't they pretty much always vote Democrat? So yeah, the black vote alone was hardly the reason Obama kicked McCain's butt in '08.

There is one area where I do agree with you though: Republicans will no doubt work to disenfranchise as many voters as they possibly can in this next election. It's been their political playbook for a while now.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry after reading this but I felt compelled to reply with something.

It's scary that there still a handful of people that still actually think this way. Thank God most of us have evolved.

:shocking:

Holy cow, how much more ignorant can you get? I don't really appreciate the inference that the only reason we have this awful liberal president is that the blacks voted in one of their own kind. And it's also wrong. Blacks make up how much of the population? And don't they pretty much always vote Democrat? So yeah, the black vote alone was hardly the reason Obama kicked McCain's butt in '08.

Its not ignorance, he got 96% of the black vote... Black turnout was historic...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15297.html

Obama won the minority vote and the young and brainwashed (future occupiers) vote...

"If you are young and not a liberal, you have no heart, if you are old and not a conservative, you have no brain"

Its not ignorance, he got 96% of the black vote... Black turnout was historic...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15297.html

Obama won the minority vote and the young and brainwashed (future occupiers) vote...

"If you are young and not a liberal, you have no heart, if you are old and not a conservative, you have no brain"

He also won the majority (53%) of the vote for those making over $200K per year. And he had the highest percentage of Democratic votes from white males since Jimmy Carter.

Come on man.

Black turnout was historic...

That's the part Worms isn't getting. It's not the percentage it's the turn out.

And nobody said that the black turnout was the ONLY reason Obama won. They said it was one of many reasons.

Reading...It's fundamental. :thumbsup:

He also won the majority (53%) of the vote for those making over $200K per year. And he had the highest percentage of Democratic votes from white males since Jimmy Carter.

Come on man.

2:1 hispanic vote

20:1 black vote.

Two groups make up 20% of the electorate. He was splitting those other categories by a couple basis points here and there...

This isn't anything new...

That's the part Worms isn't getting. It's not the percentage it's the turn out.

And nobody said that the black turnout was the ONLY reason Obama won. They said it was one of many reasons.

Reading...It's fundamental. :thumbsup:

jerry made it sound like it was the primary reason. I'd say it was part of the reason but only a small percentage. If Obama can't get white independents to vote for him then he's not winning no matter how high the black turnout is.

jerry made it sound like it was the primary reason. I'd say it was part of the reason but only a small percentage. If Obama can't get white independents to vote for him then he's not winning no matter how high the black turnout is.

He said it may be a major impediment to Obama "running away with it". As in the title of this thread.

That even with all the Hopey Changey stuff back then with no Obama baggage, if you take away the huge minority turnout from 2008 you'd probably have Obama still winning, but it'd be a whole helluv a lot closer.

I think that was his point.

He said it may be a major impediment to Obama "running away with it". As in the title of this thread.

That even with all the Hopey Changey stuff back then with no Obama baggage, if you take away the huge minority turnout from 2008 you'd probably have Obama still winning, but it'd be a whole helluv a lot closer.

I think that was his point.

This would be an interesting study. My guess is that if the black turnout was at average levels with the average percentage voting for the Democrat, then Obama would still have won pretty handily. But I'll admit I haven't done that statistical analysis and frankly don't have the time (or possibly the expertise) to do it.

Picking nits over why Obama won by X amount in 2008 is a waste of time. He ran against John McFukkingCain. :rolleyes:

Mitt Romney's any better?

It's scary that there still a handful of people that still actually think this way. Thank God most of us have evolved.

I was making an attempt to be sensitive, you c0ckgobbing bag of sh!t.

This would be an interesting study. My guess is that if the black turnout was at average levels with the average percentage voting for the Democrat, then Obama would still have won pretty handily. But I'll admit I haven't done that statistical analysis and frankly don't have the time (or possibly the expertise) to do it.

The black population made up for 2% more of the voter base in 2008 than in 2004 (from 11% to 13%). Hispanics made up 1% more of the voter base in 2008 than 2004 (from 6% to 7%) and 1/3 of them voted for McCain.

Obama won the popular vote by 7%.

The math is not that hard to figure out.

I was making an attempt to be sensitive, you c0ckgobbing bag of sh!t.

In that case, I stand corrected. You're quite evolved.

The black population made up for 2% more of the voter base in 2008 than in 2004 (from 11% to 13%). Hispanics made up 1% more of the voter base in 2008 than 2004 (from 6% to 7%) and 1/3 of them voted for McCain.

Obama won the popular vote by 7%.

The math is not that hard to figure out.

It's not that easy because you have to break it down by state to count for the electoral college. Unless we are only talking about the popular vote (but then again, why would the popular vote even matter?).

It's not that easy because you have to break it down by state to count for the electoral college. Unless we are only talking about the popular vote (but then again, why would the popular vote even matter?).

The popular vote matters in each state so the premise is valid. It will be critical in "battleground" states and it probably won't matter in the others.