Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Single digit Wonderlics

How is this even possible?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

Claiborne gives birth to a four on the Wonderlic

Posted by Mike Florio on April 3, 2012, 7:18 AM EDT

The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.

Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored a four.

Yes. A four. Out of 50.

Six years ago, quarterback Vince Young initially got a six. Re-scoring of the test bumped it to a seven. A next-day Mulligan moved it to 13.

Finally, Young has someone at whom he can point and laugh.

The joke, however, continues to be on anyone who thinks that all college athletes are also students. Plenty of them aren’t. They’re minor-league football players who have no choice but to wait at least three years until they get a shot at joining the NFL.

How else can anyone explain a person who presumably has found a way to avoid failing out of college getting such a low score on a basic intelligence test?

And that gives rise to a more important question. What did LSU actually do to keep Claiborne from failing out of school?

wow! I would love to see if thats the all time low :dunno:

Anybody ever seen one of these things? I took a sample a couple of years back, I'd be amazed by anybody that could score under a 20 to be honest. It's akin to the old ASVAB test to get into the military (different test, I'm just saying it's freakin easy). To blow one of these things you'd have to be pretty damned envious of the intelligence of a box of rocks.

The interesting question is whether this affects his draft stock. He is a top ten pick right?

Personally, I would not want him that high. I think you can get by with sick skills and instincts at the college level, but at the NFL level I think you need to have some wits. What good does a dummy CB do you? :dunno:

Well he's in no danger of suffering any effects from a concussion so the league should be happy.

:first:

Here's an example.

I got 19 out of 20. Took me 10 minutes..

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Really...these tests are made to see if you are a "moran".

Um, my question only had 15 questions :shocking:

But anyways - I've heard that Claiborne was diagnosed with a certain learning disability that prevent him from reading well and digesting the information that he's reading. He can learn, but not through reading a book. He can learn through hearing things and practicing things....In other words, he can learn football (although he may struggle with a playbook).

I don't really think this is a big deal for Claiborne.

Here's an example.

I got 19 out of 20. Took me 10 minutes..

http://espn.go.com/p...020228test.html

Really...these tests are made to see if you are a "moran".

Although mine also only had 15 questions, I abided by their "format" and gave myself a 5 minute timer. I got 19 of 20 correct in 4:40 with only number 11 being the one that took me over the time limit.

I wonder (pun intended) if these test results scare away teams with more complicated schemes. I'm thinking a team like the Patriots might see this score and say "is this guy really going to be able to figure where he's supposed to be and when?" With some teams it might not matter that much. For example if you're just playing straight man coverage most of the time then who the hell cares...even the dumbest fock on the planet is smart enough to pick a guy and stick on him. But when you have to make reads at the line of scrimmage and whatnot, stupidity could maybe be a problem, right?

Anyone think that there are some teams out there that do put stock in to these scores? Or is it just one of those things where everyone says "well he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he can run and somehow has good football instincts"?

They have 12 minutes to take actual Wonderlic, so you would have failed to answer 26 or the 50 questions.

They also have consultants their agents hire to get them ready for these types of tests. And you're talking about people who have been in college for at least 2 years...this should be a no-brainer.

They also have consultants their agents hire to get them ready for these types of tests. And you're talking about people who have been in college for at least 2 years...this should be a no-brainer.

Actually I'm talking about the people that say they could answer 20 questions in 10minutes.... meaning they would have only answered 24 in 12 minutes.

Actually I'm talking about the people that say they could answer 20 questions in 10minutes.... meaning they would have only answered 24 in 12 minutes.

Oh yeah, I gotcha. i was talking about the athletes who are coming off 2 years in college and have consultants to prep them for this stuff, yet most people on this bored can likely outscore them...which probably isn't saying much.

Um, my question only had 15 questions :shocking:

But anyways - I've heard that Claiborne was diagnosed with a certain learning disability that prevent him from reading well and digesting the information that he's reading. He can learn, but not through reading a book. He can learn through hearing things and practicing things....In other words, he can learn football (although he may struggle with a playbook).

I don't really think this is a big deal for Claiborne.

Begs the question... how the hell did he hang in college for three years?

The bullshiot college I work for uses the wonderlick as its "entrance exam." A four wouldn't even get you in to our rathole. I've seen some single digit wondelick folks there, and they are that glassy eyed, kinda creepy dumb.

The bullshiot college I work for uses the wonderlick as its "entrance exam." A four wouldn't even get you in to our rathole. I've seen some single digit wondelick folks there, and they are that glassy eyed, kinda creepy dumb.

Are you really unsure how an athlete that is going to be drafted in the top 5 of the NFL draft managed to hang in college?

Are you really unsure how an athlete that is going to be drafted in the top 5 of the NFL draft managed to hang in college?

What he lacked in smarts, he made up with hard work in the classroom? :unsure:

I just took the sample wonderlic on waltersfootball.com and got a 34, with no prep work. This is easy stuff. A 4 should mean he doesnt get drafted at all, its pathetic.

Did you read my whole post?

Sounds like Claiborne has some sort of reading disability that prevented him from retaining information that he read. Gotta believe that it's nearly impossible to answer questions that he has to READ. Especially when 1 of the questions was specifically reading comprehension. From my understanding, he has no trouble learning, he just has to learn in a specific manner - from doing and hearing, not reading.

Not saying the guy's a genius - just that his Wonderlic score probably isn't the best measurement of his smarts.

I just took the sample wonderlic on waltersfootball.com and got a 34, with no prep work. This is easy stuff. A 4 should mean he doesnt get drafted at all, its pathetic.

At any point during the wonderlic that you took on a website were you asked to line up in full pads and cover a D1 WR? And were you better at it than most every other player in the country when you did?

This shouldn't surprise anyone. You really think most these athletes from the rough parts of cities are taking college level courses. They are given scholarships to fill the seats on saturdays and bring revenue to the college not hit the books. They are probably taking below 101 classes which anyone that graduates highschool should be able to pass which is probably how they keep them on the field. Shows what our nation's colleges are really interested in. MONEY :first:

since we're in a thread about academics and all, i'll point out that it does not 'beg the question'. begging the question is an informal logical fallacy of presumption, and is not applicable here.

it might invite the question, or prompt the question, but it does not beg the question.