Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The NBA Draft Thread

Yes, I know there are only about 8 of us who care, but so what? This is the official thread. I love the NBA draft. :thumbsup:

The NBA rigged the lottery where the Hornets (the team the NBA was owners of) won the lottery some how. They'll pick Anthony Davis, which is a no-brainer. After that it's a crapshoot.

Here is the top 10:

1. Hornets

2. Bobcats

3. Wizards

4. Cavs

5. Kings

6. Trailbalzers

7. Warriors

8. Raptors

9. Pistons

10. Hornets

The draft date is June 28th. :headbanger:

pins and needles ;)

I love the NBA draft too. Even more than the NFL draft. Maybe because it's shorter...

I think it's pretty obvious ADavis will go #1 and Thomas Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist will PROBABLY go 2 and 3.

But the biggest question for me, is where the centers are going to fall.

Andre Drummund, Meyers Leonard, Jared Sullinger (although he's more of a PF), Tyler Zeller, Festus Ezeli, and Fab Melo.

Austin Rivers is also a very intriguing pick for me. He has been listed from a #5 pick all the way to #20.

My hometown team is the Charlotte Bobcats. They pick 2nd and 31rst and needless to say need an infusion of talent is needed. Michael Jordan's best move to date was when he hired Rich Cho away from the OKC Thunder as the new GM. Cho was a part of the executive team that built the Thunder to what they are today through the draft, trades, and free agency. He's on record saying he is following that same business model. Charlotte is looking to dump any high salary veterans and build from scratch with youth, following the OKC model which is the only way small to medium market teams can build to compete for championships.

Regarding the draft, they will draft the best available player regardless of position. It's between Michael Kidd-Gilcrist, Thomas Robinson and Andre Drummond. Or they will try and trade down to pick up more draft picks which is the preffered option for this draft as it is very deep. Finding a trade partner is the hard part.

My prediction:

2nd pick: Michael Kidd-Gilcrist

31rst pick: Fab Melo

The warriors are my team. And first off, I'm damn glad their tanking actually worked.

With the 7th pick, they can go every way possible, but I think they'll take the best available SG or SF.

Worst scenario is if they pick Perry Jones or Sullinger.

Perry Jones reminds me of a Brandon Wright type, and Sullinger reminds me of a Ike Diagu type.

My hometown team is the Charlotte Bobcats. They pick 2nd and 31rst and needless to say need an infusion of talent is needed. Michael Jordan's best move to date was when he hired Rich Cho away from the OKC Thunder as the new GM. Cho was a part of the executive team that built the Thunder to what they are today through the draft, trades, and free agency. He's on record saying he is following that same business model. Charlotte is looking to dump any high salary veterans and build from scratch with youth, following the OKC model which is the only way small to medium market teams can build to compete for championships.

Regarding the draft, they will draft the best available player regardless of position. It's between Michael Kidd-Gilcrist, Thomas Robinson and Andre Drummond. Or they will try and trade down to pick up more draft picks which is the preffered option for this draft as it is very deep. Finding a trade partner is the hard part.

My prediction:

Celts will grab melo if he makes it to the 21/22 picks. Can't go wrong w mkg or trob

Festus Ezeli, and Fab Melo.

I think you will see the Miami Heat targeting both of these guys at their pick at 27. Both of them are true 7 footers who can defend their position and finish at the rim. Their NBA comparisons have been to Brendan Haywood.

If not Center I think the Heat may also target SEC guys Doron Lamb from Kentucky or John Jenkins from Vanderbilt. Lamb is a great shooter and is compared to Cuttino Mobley. Jenkins is supposedly lights out from 3 and is compared to Kyle Korver / JJ Reddick.

My prediction:

I think the Bobcats needed Anthony Davis more than any other team. I heard after they "lost" the lottery they are now offering a deal where if you buy season tickets for 2012-2013 that you get season tickets for 2013-2014 for free? Is that true? Crazy if it is.

Trading down would be the best option because there is no game changer in my opinion at that spot. But everyone else knows that as well, so getting value out the pick may be difficult. MKG or Robinson would be the safer picks. Drummond might the highest upside pick though. Very weak draft it seems like.

Very weak draft it seems like.

It's very weak at the top as only Anthony Davis seems to have 'star' potential. However the draft appears to be very deep. More deep from top to bottom than most years in my eyes. I actually think its a great draft to have multiple first round picks in, but unless you are the Hornets I don't see any superstar potential.

I think you will see the Miami Heat targeting both of these guys at their pick at 27. Both of them are true 7 footers who can defend their position and finish at the rim. Their NBA comparisons have been to Brendan Haywood.

If not Center I think the Heat may also target SEC guys Doron Lamb from Kentucky or John Jenkins from Vanderbilt. Lamb is a great shooter and is compared to Cuttino Mobley. Jenkins is supposedly lights out from 3 and is compared to Kyle Korver / JJ Reddick.

For some reason I'd like to see Draymond Green end up in Miami. He's a tremendous team player and guy that can do a lot of things for you (pass, rebound, shoot, great leader). I think he can be one of those great "glue" guys in the NBA for a long time.

It's very weak at the top as only Anthony Davis seems to have 'star' potential. However the draft appears to be very deep. More deep from top to bottom than most years in my eyes. I actually think its a great draft to have multiple first round picks in, but unless you are the Hornets I don't see any superstar potential.

That was my point mainly that it's weak at the top other than Davis. I watch too much college hoops and it's hard to know how some of these guys translate to the NBA. But it does seem like very few foreign players are being listed in mock drafts and draft boards, which either means the foreign class is very weak or that the talent in this draft is deeper than normal. I'll take your word that it's probably the latter, although it may be a little bit of both.

For some reason I'd like to see Draymond Green end up in Miami. He's a tremendous team player and guy that can do a lot of things for you (pass, rebound, shoot, great leader). I think he can be one of those great "glue" guys in the NBA for a long time.

Yeah, he could be one of those 'glue guys' in the NBA. He's going to drop because he's a 6'6" Power Forward who can't jump but he's a baller. He's the kind of guy the Spurs would draft late and ends up being a great pick. :thumbsup:

A much much more nicer version of Anthony Mason. :doublethumbsup:

My Mavs hit on a draft pick once in every 15 years or so - we are due.

That was my point mainly that it's weak at the top other than Davis. I watch too much college hoops and it's hard to know how some of these guys translate to the NBA. But it does seem like very few foreign players are being listed in mock drafts and draft boards, which either means the foreign class is very weak or that the talent in this draft is deeper than normal. I'll take your word that it's probably the latter, although it may be a little bit of both.

Thought a lot of the same things about mocks I have seen..almost no international players and light at the top but overall looks like a lot of solid players.

Obviously this is a homer central comment....but execs are really impressed with Royce White.

Im hoping he lands anywhere after the 20's....to for the most part solid established teams.....like a Boston (current projection)

Agreed. Weak draft, but definitely deep. Really not too much variance between players ranked 20-40

Obviously this is a homer central comment....but execs are really impressed with Royce White.

Im hoping he lands anywhere after the 20's....to for the most part solid established teams.....like a Boston (current projection)

Sounds like on talent alone, he would be a top 10 pick. I guess he is slipping because of an anxiety disorder? Teams fear it could slow his development. Could be a huge steal where he is projected to go.

It's draft day. :music_guitarred:

There should be a lot of trades today/tonight. The Rockets are trading all sorts of parts. My Bobcats traded Corey Magette for Ben Gordon and a 2013 protected 1rst round pick. :overhead:

The Lakers are rumored to have Pau Gasol on the block trying to get a top 10 pick in this draft.

Regarding the draft, right now it looks like Bradley Beal is the hot name to go after A.Davis. The problem for the Bobcats is SG is pretty much the ONLY position they don't need. (Ben Gordon, G.Henderson, R.Williams). All signs point to either a trade out, or Thomas Robinson.

Espn is reporting that the Bobcats have 5 offers for the #2 pick. That could be a lot of rumors to increase interest, but it seems like there is no way the Bobcats stay in that spot. The two best rumors I've heard for the pick are Cleveland giving up the #4 and #24 pick and the even bigger rumor of the Thunder trading James Harden for the #2 pick. Both Cleveland and OKC would take Bradley Beal.

Sounds like my team, the Sixers, would like to move up a little to take Terrence Ross. If they stay at 15 and Ross is gone, Arnett Moultrie could be the pick. They need size/rebounding and outside shooting.

I really hope the Celtics don't end up with Royce White and Jared Sullinger at #21 and #22 as I've seen in some mocks. Talk about two high upside picks.

Espn is reporting that the Bobcats have 5 offers for the #2 pick. That could be a lot of rumors to increase interest, but it seems like there is no way the Bobcats stay in that spot. The two best rumors I've heard for the pick are Cleveland giving up the #4 and #24 pick and the even bigger rumor of the Thunder trading James Harden for the #2 pick. Both Cleveland and OKC would take Bradley Beal.

Sounds like my team, the Sixers, would like to move up a little to take Terrence Ross. If they stay at 15 and Ross is gone, Arnett Moultrie could be the pick. They need size/rebounding and outside shooting.

I really hope the Celtics don't end up with Royce White and Jared Sullinger at #21 and #22 as I've seen in some mocks. Talk about two high upside picks.

I'd love to see Sullinger and one of the Lambs with the two celts picks... Fab Melo could be Kendrick Perkins 2.0... I also hope they resign KG, Allen can go. If Jeff Green comes back, our young parts get a year older... Celt will be back in the final 4 again if they don't totally pork this draft.

Was thinking the same thing.....theres no LBJ or Kobe, etc in this draft..so i hate it if im a top 10 pick this year.....bc i can basically get the same caliber player 10 spots down.

Its deep...but not heavy...so to speak.

Was thinking the same thing.....theres no LBJ or Kobe, etc in this draft..so i hate it if im a top 10 pick this year.....bc i can basically get the same caliber player 10 spots down.

Its deep...but not heavy...so to speak.

Disagree, Davis is going to be a stud you can build a franchise around.

I read a report where the Cav's offered all four of their picks for the #1 pick. That would be 4th pick plus 24, 33 and 34. The Hornets immediatley hung up the phone.

I read a report where the Cav's offered all four of their picks for the #1 pick. That would be 4th pick plus 24, 33 and 34. The Hornets immediatley hung up the phone.

Stern would be pissed if they rigged the deck and then the Hornets gave it away...

Cavs will make out fine from this... They'll get MKG and a bunch of depth...

I just dont think you can build a franchise around a center anymore.....just personal opinion.

And he may be great...but i just dont see him being an all timer like LBJ or Kobe....which is all i meant.

I'd love to see Sullinger and one of the Lambs with the two celts picks... Fab Melo could be Kendrick Perkins 2.0... I also hope they resign KG, Allen can go. If Jeff Green comes back, our young parts get a year older... Celt will be back in the final 4 again if they don't totally pork this draft.

I keep thinking that one of the picks should be Fab. Then either Nicholson, White, Sullinger in that order.

I just dont think you can build a franchise around a center anymore.....just personal opinion.

And he may be great...but i just dont see him being an all timer like LBJ or Kobe....which is all i meant.

Dwight Howard disagrees with you, Tim Duncan does as well... They are rare though.

There could ery well be a Wade type player in this draft... He didn't have huge hype during the draft...

Dwight Howard disagrees with you, Tim Duncan does as well... They are rare though.

There could ery well be a Wade type player in this draft... He didn't have huge hype during the draft...

Duncans a power forward....

Howard had a franchise built around him, and hes a great player....but he cant carry a team to a whole heck of a lot. And shoot...hes been in the league since what....'95?

And yes...there could be....im just not sure i see it. And since teams stopped expanding, and with the european game thriving....these college kids need to be exceptional.

Duncans a power forward....

Howard had a franchise built around him, and hes a great player....but he cant carry a team to a whole heck of a lot. And shoot...hes been in the league since what....'95?

And yes...there could be....im just not sure i see it. And since teams stopped expanding, and with the european game thriving....these college kids need to be exceptional.

Duncan is a 4 and a 5. Are we saying Davis can't be a 4?

You can build around any player if special enough

Duncan is a 4 and a 5. Are we saying Davis can't be a 4?

You can build around any player if special enough

Sure...he could...i just think its tougher in todays game to build around a post player than it was 8 to 10 to 15 years ago. Thats all.

Sure...he could...i just think its tougher in todays game to build around a post player than it was 8 to 10 to 15 years ago. Thats all.

Why do you think it is tougher in today's game to build around a post player? Elite post players just don't come along very often. Greg Oden was supposed to be one, but injuries got the best of him. Before that it was Howard who is certainly an elite NBA player and someone you can probably win a title with as your best player. Before that it was Shaq and Duncan who both won multiple titles. Anthony Davis has that type of ceiling in my opinion.

The thing with Anthony Davis is that he's just scratching the surface of his offensive game. This was a kid who was a 6'3' GUARD in high school until he had a major growth spurt. He's just beginning to learn how to play in the post offensively. But on the defensive end he may step in as one of the biggest game changers in the NBA from Day 1.

Why do you think it is tougher in today's game to build around a post player? Elite post players just don't come along very often. Greg Oden was supposed to be one, but injuries got the best of him. Before that it was Howard who is certainly an elite NBA player and someone you can probably win a title with as your best player. Before that it was Shaq and Duncan who both won multiple titles. Anthony Davis has that type of ceiling in my opinion.

The thing with Anthony Davis is that he's just scratching the surface of his offensive game. This was a kid who was a 6'3' GUARD in high school until he had a major growth spurt. He's just beginning to learn how to play in the post offensively. But on the defensive end he may step in as one of the biggest game changers in the NBA from Day 1.

Yeah but even in your list...Oden...supposed to didnt.....Howard...supposed to....isnt........And Shaq and Duncan came in during the hayday of centers 15 years ago.

They are great players...i dont think Davis is in that All time great category of centers....i just think its harder to BUILD around a post player, when its been and being shown you win with elite guard play.

The rumor floating around here in Oklahoma is that the Thunder are going to trade James Harden to the Bobcats for the #2 overall pick. :dunno:

The rumor floating around here in Oklahoma is that the Thunder are going to trade James Harden to the Bobcats for the #2 overall pick. :dunno:

Jesus why? Get rid of effing Westbrook if you are dumping someone.....

Howard hasn't had the pieces really. Love has a post game.

I guess I don't understand saying its harder to build a franchise around a post player. As opposed to what? Mentioning Kobe is the same thing as saying Duncan came into the league 15 years ago. So who are the franchise players? Lebron and durant? Point guard is the easy answer but what's the last NBA team to win a title with an elite PG in their prime? I might be forgetting someone but kidd was way past his prime and rondo was not there yet. Fisher and chalmers are not elite. Do we say tony parker? Was he a franchise player or was it Duncan?

I don't think a team can win it all with Howard as their best player.

The rumor floating around here in Oklahoma is that the Thunder are going to trade James Harden to the Bobcats for the #2 overall pick.

This is a good move by OKC.

Howard hasn't had the pieces really. Love has a post game.

I guess I don't understand saying its harder to build a franchise around a post player. As opposed to what? Mentioning Kobe is the same thing as saying Duncan came into the league 15 years ago. So who are the franchise players? Lebron and durant? Point guard is the easy answer but what's the last NBA team to win a title with an elite PG in their prime? I might be forgetting someone but kidd was way past his prime and rondo was not there yet. Fisher and chalmers are not elite. Do we say tony parker? Was he a franchise player or was it Duncan?

Right but shoot...hes more of a 4 and sometimes a 3 with his shot....not exactly a banger down low exclusively.

Parker? 2006....not sure he really falls in "elite" category. Chauncey Billups i would say counts.

And you have to go back a decade to find a center that wont an Finals MVP.

Im not saying it cant happen....just the game has changed alot since the Ewing, Olajuwon years and is a much more guard oriented league.

Yeah but even in your list...Oden...supposed to didnt.....Howard...supposed to....isnt........And Shaq and Duncan came in during the hayday of centers 15 years ago.

They are great players...i dont think Davis is in that All time great category of centers....i just think its harder to BUILD around a post player, when its been and being shown you win with elite guard play.

I think an elite center might be exactly the way to build a team... problem is, they are among the rarest animal in sports.

Most teams live and die by driving the lane and crashing the boards anymore. See James, Lebron.

Someone like Davis in the middle to block shots and knock King James on his Royal Duff might be the way to go.

I think an elite center might be exactly the way to build a team... problem is, they are among the rarest animal in sports.

Most teams live and die by driving the lane and crashing the boards anymore. See James, Lebron.

Someone like Davis in the middle to block shots and knock King James on his Royal Duff might be the way to go.

Racist :ninja: