jocstrap

There should not be a tie in football

A kickers battle starting from the 35 then 40, 45, 50

then 51, 52, 53 until one kicker makes it, and the other one misses

:dunno:

I could have used a few extra Zuerlein FG this week.

I could have used a few extra Zuerlein FG this week.

ahhh, the fantasy football implication of a kickers duel!

An old school 90's style QB competition where they throw balls through swinging tires, run through cones and hit different targets, and what not.

Better yet, punters can compete at a duel in World of Warcraft. Vikings would rule the overtime overtime duels.

Nice idea. Penalty kicks like in soccer, but an NFL version .

Hockey has seen the light as well!

Do something similar to college where, if the game is not decided in overtime, team's exchange possessions at the opponent's 20-yard-line until someone wins.

There's something about a kicker duel that just makes a mockery of the whole game.

Don't see the problem. I can see where in hockey or soccer they need to have some kind of shootout or every third game would end in a tie, but it happens only every few years in football. If neither team can earn the win outright, then leave it a tie. NFL games are too limited in number - making each win or loss incredibly important - to have them settled by some gimmick.

there should definitely be no ties...they should just play until someone scores. maybe in double OT start drives from the 35 and go score for score until someone falls off.

All time stats would be screwy if they went to college type situation after a period of no scoring, I think that is main reason why is gets voted down every year

Don't see the problem. I can see where in hockey or soccer they need to have some kind of shootout or every third game would end in a tie, but it happens only every few years in football. If neither team can earn the win outright, then leave it a tie. NFL games are too limited in number - making each win or loss incredibly important - to have them settled by some gimmick.

Exactly. As long as ties are as frequent as presidential elections, leave it the way it is. The reason I'm a fan of shootouts in hockey is because there would be a tie almost every night without them. That's if they ever play hockey again.

5 years with present league and we have 2 ties. None this year so far. Everyone agrees a tie is better than a loss especially when determining playoff seeds. I am sure if the Niners get a bye because of half a win then they would have no problem with them either.

All time stats would be screwy if they went to college type situation after a period of no scoring, I think that is main reason why is gets voted down every year

Not really. If you tack the "shootout" on after overtime, they would be extremely rare- one every four or five years. Barely a blip on the stats radar. You could even treat them like 2-point conversion attempts where the stats do not count.

there should definitely be no ties...they should just play until someone scores. maybe in double OT start drives from the 35 and go score for score until someone falls off.

thinking the exact same thing. start 'em near the 30 in double OT. if they don't score or once they run out of downs, the other team gets it back on their own 30. until someone scores.

If you do a shootout, then someone would definitely bring back Plaxico Burress. :dunno:

Or Ray Lewis... Eh, oh wait nevermind. His weapon of choice is a knife and he stabs people.

If you do a shootout, then someone would definitely bring back Plaxico Burress. :dunno:

i don't know... shooting yourself in the leg doesn't seem to be the point... i'll take ray lewi... errrr ray lewis' limo driver. :cheers:

Or Ray Lewis... Eh, oh wait nevermind. His weapon of choice is a knife and he stabs people.

i'm only 12 hours behind :wave:

You guys really want to have a random skills contest to determine a winner? Why not have QBs see who can throw farther? Or have two people race to the middle of the fields to see who can get the ball at mid field first (XFL style)..