Sign in to follow this  
TwentyFourSeven

Kaepernick named starter Sunday

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6530/colin-kaepernick

According to Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter, head coach Jim Harbaugh has named Colin Kaepernick the starter for Week 12 against the Saints.

Trotter reports that Harbaugh informed Alex Smith of the decision and notes that the decision has nothing to do with health. All signs pointed to this being the case after Harbaugh refused to commit to Smith after Monday night's thrashing of the Bears. Kaepernick showed off his entire skill set in the contest and made some throws that Smith wouldn't even typically be asked to attempt. Kaepernick has QB1 upside in fantasy while Alex Smith was no more than a high-end QB2 on a good day. Kaepernick has a date with New Orleans' league-worst defense on Sunday. Nov 21 - 10:18 PM

Source: Jim Trotter on Twitter

My fear is that if he has a few bad series in a row, he will get yanked for Smith.

No chance this happens. He made a decision to go in this direction, he finishes the game no matter what. Regardless he'll do really well...

Hold yer horses there fellers:

In response to a report from Jim Trotter of SI.com that 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been told that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday at New Orleans regarding of Smith’s health, ESPN producer Seth Markman has posted via Twitter that Smith has informed ESPN’s Trent Dilfer that the veteran quarterback has been told only that Kaepernick will get the first-team practice reps this week.

Per Dilfer (via Markman), Smith says that he still has a chance to start based on how he and Kaepernick perform in practice.

So it’s possible a decision hasn’t been made. And the situation already is taking on a life of its own, which won’t make it any easier for coach Jim Harbaugh to make a decision (if a decision hasn’t been made) and to get his team to support it without doubt or question or second-guessing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/21/smith-says-kaepernick-will-get-first-team-reps-but-starting-job-still-open/

Added and will start him over Romo this week. And starting Crabtree over Torrey Smith in a different league based on Kaepernick getting the start. The kid offers so much more than tiny hands Smith. Rushing, scrambling to extend the play, passing downfield...he gives Harbaugh more options.

Unless the kid craps himself which I don't see happening, the Alex Smith project is over in San Francisco.

No chance this happens. He made a decision to go in this direction, he finishes the game no matter what. Regardless he'll do really well...

:pointstosky:

Agreed. Harbaugh can't wait to get rid of Smith.

Hold yer horses there fellers:

In response to a report from Jim Trotter of SI.com that 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been told that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday at New Orleans regarding of Smith’s health, ESPN producer Seth Markman has posted via Twitter that Smith has informed ESPN’s Trent Dilfer that the veteran quarterback has been told only that Kaepernick will get the first-team practice reps this week.

Per Dilfer (via Markman), Smith says that he still has a chance to start based on how he and Kaepernick perform in practice.

So it’s possible a decision hasn’t been made. And the situation already is taking on a life of its own, which won’t make it any easier for coach Jim Harbaugh to make a decision (if a decision hasn’t been made) and to get his team to support it without doubt or question or second-guessing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/21/smith-says-kaepernick-will-get-first-team-reps-but-starting-job-still-open/

Rotoworld already put the kibosh on Trent Dilfer's 2 cents.

After ESPN half-heartedly disputed his report, SI's Jim Trotter reiterated late Wednesday that Alex Smith has been informed by 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh of his demotion in favor of Colin Kaepernick.

Smith apparently told ESPN's Trent Dilfer that Kaepernick would get first-team practice reps, but the job was still open to an in-practice competition. Not the case. "I ... stand behind my report," said Trotter, who's as reliable as they come. "Harbaugh to Alex: 'I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry.'" Kaepernick should be viewed by fantasy owners as a high-upside Week 12 start against the Saints. Smith can be dropped in fantasy leagues.

Yeah lets get rid of the QB that took us to the NFC Championship Game last year and would have probably won it and possibly the SB if not for a couple of fumbles that he had nothing to do with. The last couple of years they have finally got some decent weapons for him in the passing game and had consistent coordination and he is playing great. Sure, he is not passing for 5000 yards but who needs to when you have a defense that allows about 13 pts a game.

Alex is getting a raw deal here... I have been a Niners fan since '72 and right now Im rather ashamed of the organizations actions towards someone they have screwed with for his entire career.

If Harbaugh benches a healthy Smith then he is acting like an idiot. A guy has one good game and all of the sudden he is the second coming... Shameful!!!

IMO

Yeah lets get rid of the QB that took us to the NFC Championship Game last year and would have probably won it and possibly the SB if not for a couple of fumbles that he had nothing to do with. The last couple of years they have finally got some decent weapons for him in the passing game and had consistent coordination and he is playing great. Sure, he is not passing for 5000 yards but who needs to when you have a defense that allows about 13 pts a game.

Alex is getting a raw deal here... I have been a Niners fan since '72 and right now Im rather ashamed of the organizations actions towards someone they have screwed with for his entire career.

If Harbaugh benches a healthy Smith then he is acting like an idiot. A guy has one good game and all of the sudden he is the second coming... Shameful!!!

IMO

Right. There were Denver fans who thought they should have kept Tebow instead of rolling with Peyton.

Harbaugh tried to get Peyton too. There's a reason, and you saw it last Sunday night.

Just picked him up after seeing the news of him named the starter . But do I start him over Stafford ? I need to know quick, as Fatt Stafford plays tomorrow .

I plugged him in over Fattford.....but mainly based on his running ability coupled with the matchups.

It's the right move. Did you see how explosive the offense looked?

Smith is a game manager, but put him against top tier teams:

Seahawks - 14 of 23, 140 yards, 1 td, 1 int

Giants - 19 of 30, 0 td, 3 int

Playoffs last year vs Giants - 12 of 26

49ers have had a very easy schedule, Smith picks apart bad teams. He can't win you the big game, though.

Like someone else said, I will probably start Kaeper but in back of my mind worried he might get pulled if Saints confuse him early. There's no reason he shouldn't light up the Saints defense. The 49ers have way too many options/looks for the Saints to contain.

Harbaugh has not named the starter (I am a S.F. homer) and listen to all the local talk shows, including one with Harbaugh saying he is going to play the hot QB. Harbaugh does not give up much REAL information, other then he likes what he has seen in Kaepernick. Remember the 49'ers moved up in the draft to get Kaepernick and he was hand picked by Harbaugh, so in a dynasty league you should definitely grab him. Harbaugh is a great coach and he has amassed a A-plus coaching staff and Kaepernick is the future. That being said , the local take is that Smith has been through a lot thru the years with coaches and he is limited in what he can do, but he does read defenses better and the 49er's want to win the super bowl this year. Harbaugh will pull the trigger and start Kaepernick...IF he thinks he is their best chance to win. This wek end...I would wait and see.....Personally. I am 64 yo and a Raider fan forever and I hate the 49er and their stupid ass wine drinking, cheese eating asses , BUT I am a FF Freak 1st. Good Luck...no I would not start him over Luck or Freeman (my QB's)

After ESPN half-heartedly disputed his report, SI's Jim Trotter reiterated late Wednesday that Alex Smith has been informed by 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh of his demotion in favor of Colin Kaepernick.

Smith apparently told ESPN's Trent Dilfer that Kaepernick would get first-team practice reps, but the job was still open to an in-practice competition. Not the case. "I ... stand behind my report," said Trotter, who's as reliable as they come. "Harbaugh to Alex: 'I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry.'" Kaepernick should be viewed by fantasy owners as a high-upside Week 12 start against the Saints. Smith can be dropped in fantasy leagues.

Whoa......dejavu. :wacko:

If he starts, playing him over Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco and Mathew Stafford in two leagues.

As someone else mentioned, the only thing that would worry me is him getting pulled if he has a couple of bad series so a little risk there.

So is he starting or do we not know yet?

As a NY Giants fan, I agree this is the right move. I do not fear Alex Smith, but I may fear Colin Kaepernick.

IMO

Ordinarily, I'd agree with this. But as a 49ers fan I'm sure you saw how awful the team was for years under the likes of Nolan and Singletary. Harbaugh took exactly one season (less than a season really) to turn the team from a perennial underachiever to a near Superbowl contender. Sure, there were some other personnel changes, but considering Harbaugh's body of work as a coach, I think he deserve a ton of credit.

If Harbaugh decides to go with Colin, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I can't imagine SF fans would want to run him out of town and bring back Singletary just because Singletary wouldn't let Colin take over. A buddy of mine who lives over there says there are a ton of fans calling for Colin anyway.

Just my opinion. A Colin implosion could prove me wrong, and I don't assume everyone should give Harbaugh the benefit if the doubt the way I do. And, I do think if it happens, it's a raw deal for Smith. But given what Harbaugh has done for that team literally as soon as he stepped in, I just don't think he can be put in the same sentence as "idiot" just because he makes this move.

Plus, don't forget: Harbaugh resurrected Smith's career. Before Harbaugh arrived, Smith was regarded as a failure. Now, after the last 2 years under Harbaugh, there are a lot of teams who would be willing to give Smith a look as their starter. If anything, Smith owes Harbaugh, not the other way around.

Kap looked very good. watched most of the game.

first game this year Mark Sanchez looked fricking great. then, well, not so great.

nobody really knows if Kap will maintain, regress or what not. seems like Harbaugh loves the kid, based on all the reports coming out of SF this week. everybody needs a hype train to get on, whether SF fans or FF players.

Harbaugh probably knows better than any of us. the guy is obviously a dedicated coach that knows how to win.

i wonder how this will play out in the locker room. if Kap starts the lesson learned might be that you get dinged up once, your starting job is not valued much at all. who knows. but as long as they win, any discontent will be pushed out of mind. if they lose a couple due to QB play it could affect the locker room mentality.

I'm 99.9 % sure Kap will start. My fear as I said earlier is that if Kap sucks 3 or 4 series in a row, or the 49ers fall way behind Harbaugh will yank him. OR... if Harbaugh decides to rotate the QB's for some odd reason. That might be effective for the team but that'd suck for FF owners who started Kap.

I wouldn't start Kap in any of my leagues because I have better options but I want him to start so he can make V. Davis worth starting again.

Kaepernick or Cam Newton ?

Cam is on Monday night v. Philly...

thoughts?

I'm 99.9 % sure Kap will start. My fear as I said earlier is that if Kap sucks 3 or 4 series in a row, or the 49ers fall way behind Harbaugh will yank him. OR... if Harbaugh decides to rotate the QB's for some odd reason. That might be effective for the team but that'd suck for FF owners who started Kap.

Dude, there is practically zero chance this happens. He already has a qb controversy on his hands, he can't go flip flopping within a single game and make that situation exponentially worse. If he starts Kap, outside of him throwing a pick on the first 3 drives all resulting in TDs for NO, he finishes the game. And tbh, I think he'll come out shredding that D anyway, and will continue to shred them all game. Regardless, this isn't college, they're not gonna go series for series or anything of that nature...

Dude, there is practically zero chance this happens. He already has a qb controversy on his hands, he can't go flip flopping within a single game and make that situation exponentially worse. If he starts Kap, outside of him throwing a pick on the first 3 drives all resulting in TDs for NO, he finishes the game. And tbh, I think he'll come out shredding that D anyway, and will continue to shred them all game. Regardless, this isn't college, they're not gonna go series for series or anything of that nature...

^^ this. i think the want to see Kaep for a full go..

' date='23 November 2012 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1353680581' post='4905750']

Kaepernick or Cam Newton ?

Cam is on Monday night v. Philly...

thoughts?

If Kap is the clear starter...

Would you sit Luck for him? :blink:

Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, Brees and Ryan. He's a go above ALL else in my world. Saints are terrible on D. They're DEAD last in rush D, 9ers will be able to control the game just by running the ball, making it a lot easier for Kap to operate. Sure they'll blitz the sh!t out of him, and we'll have to see how he handles that in a hosting road environment, but those blitzes also will leave them severely exposed down the field. If they draw up plays like they did against the bears, plays which it seems haven't even been a part of the game plan with Alex Smith back there, they'll be able to hit some huge plays. I'm pencilling him in for 250 yards passing, 40-60 yards rushing(with monster upside here, I wouldn't blink an eye if he runs a 50 yarder in), and 3 total tds. Monster game...

Donte Whitner says Colin Kaepernick is starting for 49ers

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/23/donte-whitner-says-colin-kaepernick-is-starting-for-49ers/

San Francisco safety Donte Whitner told Mike Florio on the Dan Patrick Show that Kaepernick is the starter for Sunday’s game against the Saints. Whitner may not have realized that he was breaking news, but he revealed that — despite what coach Jim Harbaugh and the team are saying officially — the players are under the impression that Kaepernick has supplanted Alex Smith as the 49ers’ starting quarterback.

P00h you're off your rocker, or I just don't know your sarcasm yet. If so, my bad. No one on this boRed in their right mind would sit one of their proven stud QB's over Kap, who has had one good game, playing one of the hottest O's in the NFL on the road. No way I'd sit Matt Ryan or Peyton or Brady, for example, for Kap. No freaking way.

P00h you're off your rocker, or I just don't know your sarcasm yet. If so, my bad. No one on this boRed in their right mind would sit one of their proven stud QB's over Kap, who has had one good game, playing one of the hottest O's in the NFL on the road. No way I'd sit Matt Ryan or Peyton or Brady, for example, for Kap. No freaking way.

Issue at hand isn't sarcasm, it's reading comprehension. I said outside of those 5 guys, I'd start Kap over anyone else...

Agree. Throw RG3 in there too maybe with Rodgers, Brees, etc. Kap has the weapons around him to put up great numbers with the added rushing yards. I nabbed him to keep him away from the other owners, tis the season for those kind of moves.

I've benched Stafford to start Kaepernick in one league; I picked Kaepernick to play for Vick in another (but have Locker as insurance in case there's something to this 'controversy'), and I started Stafford instead of Kaepernick in the 3rd.

Of course, Stafford blew up - so I hope that Kaepernick does the same. I was seriously impressed with his game against the Bears.

I've been playing for 15 years and have won several big money championships. I'm considering starting Kap over Matt Ryan. Why? Because I know what Kaepernick can do. I watched him at Nevada and watched every snap of the MNF game. Kaepernick is for real.

In what universe is having your QB play "one of the hottest O's in the NFL" a bad thing?

I've been playing for 15 years and have won several big money championships. I'm considering starting Kap over Matt Ryan. Why? Because I know what Kaepernick can do. I watched him at Nevada and watched every snap of the MNF game. Kaepernick is for real.

In what universe is having your QB play "one of the hottest O's in the NFL" a bad thing?

If the Saints keep the ball for the majority of the game it could be bad.