Sign in to follow this  
dj88

So let me get this straight

Anytime there's a turnover or scoring play that's obviously ruled wrong on the field all you have to do is throw the red flag and take a 15 yard penalty and then the play can't be reviewed.

Unbelievably horrible loophole that all NFL coaches should study up on.

And it should also be mentioned that Jim Schwartz is a moron. :overhead:

The announcers were emphasizing that a team couldn't benefit from illegally challenging a play, so a team couldn't throw the flag after catching a controversial INT and render it non-reviewable. If the team that threw the INT threw the challenge flag, that would render it non-reviewable.

The announcers were emphasizing that a team couldn't benefit from illegally challenging a play, so a team couldn't throw the flag after catching a controversial INT and render it non-reviewable. If the team that threw the INT threw the challenge flag, that would render it non-reviewable.

Who knows for sure who it would help? It's just stupid. Isn't replay there so bad calls get reversed? Isn't a 15 yard penalty enough? It's retarded.

What happened today was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in sports in a long time.

We've got to deal with this ruh-tard commissioner who try's police the game into soccer. Yet this kind of thing still happens? The Lions got screwed.

Goodell is an absolute joke of a commish. These stupid rules + not living up to his word on player safety.

Get someone in there that doesn't make me question 10x a game why I watch this sport. Oh wait, fantasy football.

This situation will obviously never happen again. The dumbass loophole will be fixed in the offseason and no team will repeat it this year.

I agree dumbass Schwartz should know the rule but it's asinine to begin with.

"We were going to review the play on principle but since you challenged it we're revoking all reviews of said play."

:wall:

Worse than the pos tuck rule.

I'm a Houston homer, and I agree, dumbass rule. While everyone around me was celebrating the TD, I was the only one silent and perplexed. I kept thinking, "there's no way this can be a TD!?"

Either way, you can't take anything away from the Texans. Lions still had lots of opportunities to win this game, but they couldn't capatilize. The coach should also know the rules, and players should play until they hear the whistle.

This situation will obviously never happen again.

It happened just last week. You would have thought that every NFL team would have taken notice when the Falcons coach got himself into the same bind by throwing the challenge flag on a turnover that would have been reviewed anyway.

Goodell is an absolute joke of a commish. These stupid rules + not living up to his word on player safety.

Get someone in there that doesn't make me question 10x a game why I watch this sport. Oh wait, fantasy football.

He is the biggest piece of steaming, peanut filled shiat on the planet, isn't he? He's ruined kickoffs, he's ruined hitting, he's ruined the games pacing with reviews every play, and he's ruined scheduling with ghey NFL network Thursday games. Oh yeah, playing in London, Pakistan, Mumbai, wherever he wants games played is also FOCKED up.

Even fantasy football sometimes isn't enough. The game has lost some luster. I hand pick which games to watch and sometimes forego it altogether and just check to see if my guys scored or not. That's it. Prior to the last couple years, I was glued to the couch on Sundays. Now, I got better things to do in many cases. Plus, regional coverage can stink and I ain't no direcTV slut.

Take fantasy away and you take a away a HUGE fan base with it. Lets hope Rog doesn't screw that up too. :rolleyes:

I'm a Houston homer, and I agree, dumbass rule. While everyone around me was celebrating the TD, I was the only one silent and perplexed. I kept thinking, "there's no way this can be a TD!?"

Either way, you can't take anything away from the Texans. Lions still had lots of opportunities to win this game, but they couldn't capatilize. The coach should also know the rules, and players should play until they hear the whistle.

WRONG! This game will forever have an asterisk next to it for the Texans...

Stupid ass rule. Texans lost this game... W on paper ONLY!

While I agree that the rule is absurd & needs to be changed how can anyone say that the Texans would've lost the game had the play been reversed? Who's to say Foster/Forsett doesn't run it in on the next play or Schaub throws another strike to AJ for a touchdown?

The Texans fought hard for that win & the Lions didn't finish them off when they had the chance.

No...its pretty much a W.

You can't say that they would not have scored on the next play...or changed the way the game went from that point forward anyway.

You simply can't say.

So get over it...your coach focked it up.

Oh...and people blaming Goodell for that rule?

You think he focking wrote every rule?

Blame the idiotic rules committee...not the commish there (plenty to blame him for on other things for sure).

Detriot still loses that game.

It's tradition. :banana:

Oh...and people blaming Goodell for that rule?

You think he focking wrote every rule?

Blame the idiotic rules committee...not the commish there (plenty to blame him for on other things for sure).

Anyone who thinks Goodell writes the rules has no idea how the league works, he oversees everything, but he's not writing policy.

The whole point of review is to get the call correct. Challenge or not, get the "f"ing call right! I don't think fans give a rats ass about challenges. You have a whole league FULL of incompetent refs! I think every head coach should get unlimited challenges. If they want to limit something..........give them two booth review challenges every game that can be used at ANY time during the game.

The Forsett TD when he was down was a blown call/no call.

The Peprah INT was a blown call!

There were a few others yesterday and that was just in 3 games.

It's absurd!

The whole point of review is to get the call correct. Challenge or not, get the "f"ing call right! I don't think fans give a rats ass about challenges. You have a whole league FULL of incompetent refs! I think every head coach should get unlimited challenges. If they want to limit something..........give them two booth review challenges every game that can be used at ANY time during the game.

The Forsett TD when he was down was a blown call/no call.

The Peprah INT was a blown call!

There were a few others yesterday and that was just in 3 games.

It's absurd!

The Peprah int was correct.

Dumbest rule I have ever heard of. I think that it will be changed before the end of the season though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/23/after-detroit-debacle-nfl-could-change-red-flag-rule-during-season/

NFL executive V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson told Mike Florio on the Dan Patrick Show that the league could review the rule that says the referee will not review a scoring play if a coach throws his challenge flag. Anderson said it’s even possible that the rule could be changed during the season, instead of waiting until after the season.

“I think there’s some sentiment, Mike, that that may be too harsh,” Anderson said. “To not be able to review in those circumstances may be harsh, because at the end of the day the review process is intended to get it right.”

Dumbest rule I have ever heard of. I think that it will be changed before the end of the season though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/23/after-detroit-debacle-nfl-could-change-red-flag-rule-during-season/

I don't see how they can do that. At least 2 games have been directly affected by this rule. Unless the NFL breaks out it's wayback machine and change it before anything happens, they have to let it fly for the rest of the year and simply hope that coaches don't take advantage of it. It's too late at this point.

I don't see how they can do that. At least 2 games have been directly affected by this rule. Unless the NFL breaks out it's wayback machine and change it before anything happens, they have to let it fly for the rest of the year and simply hope that coaches don't take advantage of it. It's too late at this point.

Why not? They changed the calling of the coin toss midseason after the Thanksgiving debacle in 98. This would not give any team an advantage or disadvantage.

It's obvious now that whenever there is a questionable call on a TD play, all you need to do is throw your challenge flag. Yes, you get a 15 yard penalty, but who gives a fock?

Let's assume for a moment that Kubiak, knowing the rules AND that his guy was clearly down decides to throw his challenge flag, drawing a 15 yard penalty. Could the Lions decline the penalty and then allow the review?

It's obvious now that whenever there is a questionable call on a TD play, all you need to do is throw your challenge flag. Yes, you get a 15 yard penalty, but who gives a fock?

Let's assume for a moment that Kubiak, knowing the rules AND that his guy was clearly down decides to throw his challenge flag, drawing a 15 yard penalty. Could the Lions decline the penalty and then allow the review?

I think its only the team that would benefit from the challenge that blocks the review if they throw the flag. In your scenario, since they ruled in a TD on the field, Houston would not have benefited by a review. Thus Houston tossing the challenge flag wouldnt block said review.

Its dumber than stupid, but apparently thats the way the rule is written.

What i cant figure out is why it blocks the review, Penalties are penalties because an action is either dangerous or gives one player or team an unfair advantage. Throwing a challenge flag on that play is neither of those. I guess you could call it a delay of game or something (especially if a team is out of challenges or time outs), but even then, what is the rationale for then disallowing the review?

But bottom line, the lions share of the blame (you see what i did there?) belongs on Jim Schwartz. Theyve been reviewing all turnovers and scoring plays for what 2 years now? Being an NFL coach requires calm under pressure. Schwartz has shown repeatedly he has none.. "I forgot" is ok when you are coaching Pop Warner. "I forgot:" in the NFL should have the Lons ownership looking for a new coach.

I see it as more of an instinctive reaction in the heat of battle to a blown call,

yes the competitive part of Schwantz cost him because of a quick trigger. But shouldn't

it just be a thing where he picks up the flag, my bad? The "is he down" call is Unreviewable.

Period. no harm no foul.

Then the review rule where every score gets reviewed would then be applied. Done deal.

The review would then get it right no question here about the play yesterday. ?

i'm not sure if it was goodell or not but i just want to know the guys name who is responsible for coming up with this rule and putting it in the book.

It doesn't matter if he wrote the rule or not... The point is we have an ass-hat commissioner who gets off by punishing players & pushing flag football down our throat.

Here's an idea... READ THE CURRENT RULES FIRST. Dip sh*t.

This situation will obviously never happen again. The dumbass loophole will be fixed in the offseason and no team will repeat it this year.

I agree dumbass Schwartz should know the rule but it's asinine to begin with.

"We were going to review the play on principle but since you challenged it we're revoking all reviews of said play."

:wall:

Worse than the pos tuck rule.

2 weeks in a row. :overhead:

too bad it happened to Mike Smith last week.

Oh well, there is always next week to say it will never happen again.