Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting

So you are OK with all other violence? Why not curb all violence why just gun violence?

Each year more people die in drunken diving accidents than are murdered by guns. :dunno:

Why anyone would want to live in a world where only Law Enforcement and criminals have guns is beyond me.

We are talking about gun violence because of Newton. If you want to start a thread about drunk driving or forms of assault that don't involve guns I'll post there. :dunno:

I don't want to live in a world where only cops and criminals have guns. I'd like to live in a world where mentally deranged people don't have easy access to assault rifles though.

So you are OK with all other violence? Why not curb all violence why just gun violence?

Each year more people die in drunken diving accidents than are murdered by guns. :dunno:

Each year fewer people die by being beheaded with swords than are murdered by guns. By your logic, we ought to go ahead and make that legal then?

Can you rightie logictards stop with this tragic line of non-reasoning. Every day, hundreds of millions of Americans -- literally hundreds of millions -- use cars properly and for the specific purpose for which they were designed and manufactured: to go from A to B safely, swiftly, and efficiently. Yes, people die in them, and it's tragic, and it's why we have laws forbidding operating them while intoxicated. But so, so, SO much social value comes from cars that obviously, we can't ban them.

If hundreds of millions of people used guns for the specific purpose for which THEY were designed and manufactured each day, we would all be dead by Friday. There is no corresponding social value. They ought to be banned ASAP, and happily, that's the way the wind is blowing.

My prediction is we will see something like the assault weapon ban that was in place from 1994-2004 put back into effect. Public sentiment will lean that way.

And it will have little impact on the murder rate.

Using a variety of national and local data sources, we found no statistical evidence of post-ban decreases

in either the number of victims per gun homicide incident, the number of gunshot wounds per victim, or the

proportion of gunshot victims with multiple wounds. Nor did we find assault weapons to be overrepresented in a

sample of mass murders involving guns (see Appendix A).

link

they're only different because you support one and want the other changed. either way, innocent children die. don't get bucked off your high horse.

Don't be lazy and assume to know my position on abortion. I am reasonably confident I've never given it on this message board.

Each year fewer people die by being beheaded with swords than are murdered by guns. By your logic, we ought to go ahead and make that legal then?

Can you rightie logictards stop with this tragic line of non-reasoning. Every day, hundreds of millions of Americans -- literally hundreds of millions -- use cars properly and for the specific purpose for which they were designed and manufactured: to go from A to B safely, swiftly, and efficiently. Yes, people die in them, and it's tragic, and it's why we have laws forbidding operating them while intoxicated. But so, so, SO much social value comes from cars that obviously, we can't ban them.

If hundreds of millions of people used guns for the specific purpose for which THEY were designed and manufactured each day, we would all be dead by Friday. There is no corresponding social value. They ought to be banned ASAP, and happily, that's the way the wind is blowing.

What he said. Sheesh.

I named 3 specific things that should be done to curb gun violence, you didn't address any of them. :cheers:

First, as I've already said, I've been talking about your statement that I quoted. It was overly broad. Period.

After your first post you went on to mention steps that can be taken. I addressed one of them in my reply to Newbie, but I have not responded to the other two. So, here goes:

I don't really have an opinion on gun registration. I see where it could be a good thing, but I also see where it could be very badly abused. Several states already have gun registration laws in the books that require registration.

As for straw purchases, I have no issues with severe penalties for such because those people are simply trying to evade the safeguards and regulations in place.

There are literally hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country who use their guns properly and for what they are intended. If you take all of the guns and look at the incidents where they are used in a crime resulting in death and compare that ratio to the number of vehicles and vehicle-related fatalities, guns come out on the positive side of that argument by a long shot.

The ones that are used by convicted felons already have laws banning their use. Plus, a vast majority of those crimes are shiitbag on shiitbag, so they're basically engaging in shiitbag population control.

Your argument fails.

We already have legislation in place to curb gun violence. It's focking illegal to shoot somebody, except in very specific circumstances, and violators go to jail for a long time. :doh:

No ######.. We are talking about laws that aren't on the books to curb gun violence. Like mandatory registrations, severe penalties to reduce straw purchases and bans on some weapons.

Happy now? :wave:

No ######.. We are talking about laws that aren't on the books to curb gun violence. Like mandatory registrations, severe penalties to reduce straw purchases and bans on some weapons.

Dude, were you dropped as a baby?? :unsure:

There are literally hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country who use their guns properly and for what they are intended. If you take all of the guns and look at the incidents where they are used in a crime resulting in death and compare that ratio to the number of vehicles and vehicle-related fatalities, guns come out on the positive side of that argument by a long shot.

The ones that are used by convicted felons already have laws banning their use. Plus, a vast majority of those crimes are shiitbag on shiitbag, so they're basically engaging in shiitbag population control.

Your argument fails.

Wow. Just wow.

The guns used in Newtown were legal and registered.

Don't be lazy and assume to know my position on abortion. I am reasonably confident I've never given it on this message board.

you're right cb, i shouldn't profile based upon your stances in this thread. please, forgive me. you showed great compassion and seemed genuinely impacted by what happened friday. i would guess you wouldn't want to bring harm upon any children based upon that emotion.

the rub here is that we have "progressives" on our bored and in our midst that promoted the president and the war on women bullsh**t and flag wave for abortion, then come into these threads and spread righteous indignation about gun control for the safety of our children. you can see how this might come across as difficult to put together. one or two even went so far as to say the blood of those kids are on the hands of those that support the 2nd amendment, while failing to take responsibility for the vote they cast in favor of those that kill more than 1 million children without guns. we want to stop killing our children with guns, but will continue killing our children in the name of "progressivism."

i'll leave you an out and not even ask your position on the killing of unborn kids. the fact that the newtown tragedy involved little kids should begin to show us the truth about what we condone on a daily basis in our "progressive" america. you have a child, as do many here, so we know now. it's not politics any longer. there's no more "cake and eat it too."

We are talking about gun violence because of Newton. If you want to start a thread about drunk driving or forms of assault that don't involve guns I'll post there. :dunno:

I don't want to live in a world where only cops and criminals have guns. I'd like to live in a world where mentally deranged people don't have easy access to assault rifles though.

Over 125 people have died in drunken driving accidents since Newton. :dunno: My question still is, why do you want to concentrating on guns when eliminating unwanted violent deaths should be the goal. Guns are a very small part of that.

BTW: We are talking about gun control. HTH

The guns used in Newtown were legal and registered.

They were bought by one person for her deranged son. If the mom lived she should be in jail.

Over 125 people have died in drunken driving accidents since Newton. :dunno: My question still is, why do you want to concentrating on guns when eliminating unwanted violent deaths should be the goal.

I don't think any additional laws or efforts would reduce drunk driving. I do think there are things we could do that we're not doing to reduce gun violence.

Gun laws don't at all seem to be the issue that needs addressing here. Unless all 50 states do it the same way, people will get guns wherever it's easiest. In the CT case, the shooter didn't even have to buy a gun, just borrowed his mom's guns.

We have a structure in place to remove offending shooters from society, though most of them, fortunately, kill themselves and save us the expense and hassle.

Is there anything we could have done, as a society, to keep these nutballs from flying off the deep end? And can we do anything before they act? These seem like the better questions to be asking, though they might have uncomfortable answers, or no good solutions.

- Video games and movies' impacts on impressionable kids

- Poor parenting

- Mental issues requiring removal from society

These three issues might bear more discussion than any discussion of gun control.

It's not often I agree with you politically, yet this is 100% in line with what I've been saying. Apparently people on all parts of the political spectrum can have intelligent, productive ideas if they put their minds to it. :cheers:

I find it funny that people are trying to find what vectors violence...humans have been violent ever since they've been on earth...it's in the gene pool folks. There were no video games and guns in Ancient Greece and they still managed to find ways to try to destroy one another. Did the Nazis all play Black Ops 2 before hating on the Jews? There are violent humans, there have always been violent humans and there will likely always be violent humans.

I find it funny that people are trying to find what vectors violence...humans have been violent ever since they've been on earth...it's in the gene pool folks. There were no video games and guns in Ancient Greece and they still managed to find ways to try to destroy one another. Did the Nazis all play Black Ops 2 before hating on the Jews? There are violent humans, there have always been violent humans and there will likely always be violent humans.

No, but they confiscated the guns of the citizenery before rounding them up and sending them to the ovens.

No, but they confiscated the guns of the citizenery before rounding them up and sending them to the ovens.

This is always the next step after minor changes in tax policy. :thumbsdown:

“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste; it’s an opportunity to do important things that you would otherwise avoid.” - Rahm Emanuel :pointstosky:

Ok... It is true though. Blunt, but true.

Who is talking about tax policy, Corky?

Just pointing out your Hitlerific overreaction you focking tard. :wave:

I just know this is leading to a remake of the shakest gun in the west with Biden playing Don Knots role and Obama in Tim Conways.

They really need to write Dick "If you don't want shot in the face, don't get your fat head in the way of my pheasant!" Cheney in there somewhere.

intellectual honesty is not the strong suit of communists, eh?

The intellectual laziness of this post is ironic. Re-read mine.

we want to stop killing our children with guns, but will continue killing our children in the name of "progressivism."

the fact that the newtown tragedy involved little kids should begin to show us the truth about what we condone on a daily basis in our "progressive" america. you have a child, as do many here, so we know now. it's not politics any longer.

Your first paragraph is like comparing apples to oranges.

No one condones what happened, nor is this a political issue. All sides agree we don't want what happened to continue. The question is what to do to reduce the odds another Newtown happens.

It's not often I agree with you politically, yet this is 100% in line with what I've been saying. Apparently people on all parts of the political spectrum can have intelligent, productive ideas if they put their minds to it. :cheers:

This issue, as I say above, is one that's not political, and shouldn't have much disagreement.

I find it funny that people are trying to find what vectors violence...humans have been violent ever since they've been on earth...it's in the gene pool folks.

While I don't disagree, throwing our hands up and giving in isn't the answer. We have managed, through societal living, to change some of our instinctual behaviors for the improvement of the species, and should continue to look to do so.

I'm not going to pretend to know a ton about assault rifles

C'mon man. That wouldn't stop Worms.

Well he is hotter than Michelle

How sure are we Michelle isn't the Obama doing the tappin'? :unsure: