Sign in to follow this  
Lackman

***The Official Seattle Seahawks 2013 Offseason Thread***

Where do you guys rank DT Sylvester Williams from North Carolina?

He's a guy that is quickly rising up many draft boards to around the #15 to #20 range overall. Mid first round pick, probably the 4th DT to be taken. Explosive with plenty of speed and strength. Needs some work on technique. We will never get a sniff of him, unfortunately.

I guess I'm late to the party. I finally, FINALLY, came across a long list of prospects that met with Seattle prior to the draft. Some I've heard, some I didn't. Assuming it's accurate, I have more color coding to do. :banana:

Perez Ashford, WR, Northern Illinois

Luke Batton, LB, Kent State

Michael Brooks, DT, East Carolina

Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central

Brice Butler, WR (CB), San Diego State

Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton

Stefan Charles, DT, Regina

BJ Daniels, QB, South Florida

Zac Dysert, QB, Miami-Ohio

Justin Glenn, FS, Washington

Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky

Jeremy Harris, CB, New Mexico State

Greg Herd, WR, Eastern Washington

Ryan Jensen, OL, Colorado State

Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton State

Datone Jones, DL, UCLA

Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard

Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU

Kevin McDermott, LS, UCLA

Brendan Melanophy, DB, Fordham

Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M

Martel Moore, WR, Northern Illinois

Latavius Murray, RB, Central Florida

Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Dontra Peters, CB, New Hampshire

David Quessenberry, OL, San Jose State

Isaac Remington, DT, Oregon

Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri

Ryan Robertson, QB, Central Washington

Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

Eric Rogers, WR, Cal Lutheran

Matt Scott, QB, Arizona

Quinn Sharp, K/P, Oklahoma State

Russell Shepard, WR, LSU

Cooper Taylor, SS, Richmond

Semsi Tokolahi, DT, Washington

Justin Veltung, WR, Idaho

Anthony Watkins, SS, Oregon State

Brian Watkins, CB, Oregon State

Craig Wilkins, LB, Old Dominion

Duke Williams, S, Nevada

Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Sylvester Williams, DT, NC State

Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

Jeremy Wright, RB, Louisville

So, I continue to annoy with non stop posts, but I'm ramping up for draft weekend. What can I infer from the visits?

Projected 1st round picks: Sheldon Richardson DT, Sylvester Williams DT, Datone Jones DE. I don't know if the visits were pre or post Harvin, so I can't say whether Seattle was showing an interest in drafting a DT early before pulling the plug. None of these guys will reach us in the 2nd round without trading way up. Sheldon Richardson has off field issues, so they are doing some homework.

Projected 2nd round picks: Tyler Wilson QB, Quinton Patton WR. If you are doing due diligence to draft best player available, you have to research Wilson coming off an injury and a disappointing final season. Funny how Patton's name keeps coming up. Hey, I'm not married to the idea of drafting him; for example, you could take Ryan Swope in the 3rd/4th. But his name keeps popping up.

Projected 3rd round picks: Tyrann Matthieu CB. Makes sense to check out a guy that was a contender for the Heisman 2 years ago as the Honey Badger, then gets tossed off the team for smoking pot. He's talented, but where is his head?

Projected 4th round picks: Christine Michael Rb, Matt Scott QB, Duke Williams SS. Tweaks and trends have caused me to push some of these guys into the 4th. Christine Michael has some eye popping metrics. However, he is also possibly too similar to Lynch and Turbin, so are we going to keep drafting the same RB over and over now? Is Matt Scott a system QB? His value continues to climb, and I don't really agree. Actually, I am much more intrigued by multifaceted Denard Robinson a few rounds later. I get the feeling Duke Williams was exploratory before resigning Chancellor. We still have Jeron Johnson on the roster, who I really like.

Projected 5th round: David Quessenbury OG/OT, Kyle Juszcysk FB, Zac Dysert QB. I love MAC football, and Dysert had an up and own career because the cast around him was lacking. He has shown good zip on the ball in workouts and his stock is on the rise. Quessenbury has a mean streak, can play a versatile role in a zone blocking scheme. Not very big so can be over powered. Kyle juszwhatever is a tweener between FB and TE, so either the team is thinking about cutting Michael Robinson or looking at a TE prospect.

Eh, I'll see if anything later as far as prospects means anything.

So, I continue to annoy with non stop posts, but I'm ramping up for draft weekend. What can I infer from the visits?

Projected 1st round picks: Sheldon Richardson DT, Sylvester Williams DT, Datone Jones DE. I don't know if the visits were pre or post Harvin, so I can't say whether Seattle was showing an interest in drafting a DT early before pulling the plug. None of these guys will reach us in the 2nd round without trading way up. Sheldon Richardson has off field issues, so they are doing some homework.

Projected 2nd round picks: Tyler Wilson QB, Quinton Patton WR. If you are doing due diligence to draft best player available, you have to research Wilson coming off an injury and a disappointing final season. Funny how Patton's name keeps coming up. Hey, I'm not married to the idea of drafting him; for example, you could take Ryan Swope in the 3rd/4th. But his name keeps popping up.

Projected 3rd round picks: Tyrann Matthieu CB. Makes sense to check out a guy that was a contender for the Heisman 2 years ago as the Honey Badger, then gets tossed off the team for smoking pot. He's talented, but where is his head?

Projected 4th round picks: Christine Michael Rb, Matt Scott QB, Duke Williams SS. Tweaks and trends have caused me to push some of these guys into the 4th. Christine Michael has some eye popping metrics. However, he is also possibly too similar to Lynch and Turbin, so are we going to keep drafting the same RB over and over now? Is Matt Scott a system QB? His value continues to climb, and I don't really agree. Actually, I am much more intrigued by multifaceted Denard Robinson a few rounds later. I get the feeling Duke Williams was exploratory before resigning Chancellor. We still have Jeron Johnson on the roster, who I really like.

Projected 5th round: David Quessenbury OG/OT, Kyle Juszcysk FB, Zac Dysert QB. I love MAC football, and Dysert had an up and own career because the cast around him was lacking. He has shown good zip on the ball in workouts and his stock is on the rise. Quessenbury has a mean streak, can play a versatile role in a zone blocking scheme. Not very big so can be over powered. Kyle juszwhatever is a tweener between FB and TE, so either the team is thinking about cutting Michael Robinson or looking at a TE prospect.

I'm intrigued by Rufus Johnson.

I'm intrigued by Rufus Johnson.

Rufus Johnson is a decent edge rusher that brought attention to himself in post season exhibition games, as Tarleton St is not as much a college as a cigarette name, so he did well to get noticed. But if he is taken in the 7th round as a flyer, so be it. I don't have him in my top 375.

Where do you guys rank DT Sylvester Williams from North Carolina?

He's my #1 Target by far!!!!!

He could be a first round pick OR drop to us. If he's there, I want him..

My ranking: I have him as the #2 DT after RIchardson. Above both Star and Floyd. I like him a lot.

He's been flying up the boards of late though, so not sure he'll drop anymore.

He's my #1 Target by far!!!!!

He could be a first round pick OR drop to us. If he's there, I want him..

My ranking: I have him as the #2 DT after RIchardson. Above both Star and Floyd. I like him a lot.

He's been flying up the boards of late though, so not sure he'll drop anymore.

I have heard that this is a weird draft in that there are so many more players with 2nd round grades than 1st round grades. Thus, a player you like at say 18 could easily be available at 56. So it might not be such a stretch to see anyone fall to Seattle at 56. And with that in mind, it makes perfect sense that Seattle would trade the #25 pick because they could still get the player they would have drafted at 25 at 56.

Great. Maybe someday Carpenter and Moffit will eventually be able to compete with whomever we draft that can actually contribute. I'm not holding my breath on Moffit and have zero expectations for Carpenter right now. I don't think this team can count of either guy right now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Zach Ertz was originally projected as a possible first round pick. And steadily has slowly slid down to mid 2nd round range and now even lower. Sure, he could go #39. I don't think he goes that high. Tyler Eifert is the first TE off the board, in the mid first round. Ertz is the 2nd round TE. Third round TsE are likely Vance McDonald, Gavin Escobar, Travis Kelce. The #39 ranking I feel is outdated, not realistically watching him slide lower in team rankings. Ertz is a solid TE with speed, great route running and excellent hands. He had some injury problems last year and is inconsistent in blocking which pushes his value down somewhat. But the biggest issue with Ertz is lack of potential upside. He isn't going to get that much better. He's already a solid package, but he isn't going to take a giant leap forward at the NFL level. Without that upside, more teams may let him slide. However, he fits with what Seattle is going want out of him as a 2nd TE for the next few years. Miller's contract becomes much more cap friendly the next two years, so you are going to pair him with Miller for a couple of years. Again, I could be wrong, but I think there is a good chance he is available at #56. If not, there is no real point in going TE until the 5th or 6th round, targeting a guy like Nick Kasa.

A lot of these guy's could go first round OR could fall to us.

He's a guy that could fall. But, I would say like S. Williams, probably not.

Solid option, but I'm not a huge fan of his. He's not a big "jumper". Catches everything down low. He also had bad jumping at the combine. Tape proves this too IMO.

BUT, I do like his speed, athleticness, route running, and hands like was pointed out. SO, in a "weak class of TE's", he's my #2. Strongly behind Ertz.

He would be a decent pick though. Similar to the Patton pick.

I still prefer a DT or LB who might also fall. Some of these really good CB's might drop to us too.

Another position option maybe.

I have heard that this is a weird draft in that there are so many more players with 2nd round grades than 1st round grades. Thus, a player you like at say 18 could easily be available at 56. So it might not be such a stretch to see anyone fall to Seattle at 56. And with that in mind, it makes perfect sense that Seattle would trade the #25 pick because they could still get the player they would have drafted at 25 at 56.

Yep - I agree.

I never questioned the Harvin move. It was a SWEET move. Loved it from the beginning and still do!

We would have spent that #25 pick on one of these WR's that are 5 rounds deep anyway. I thought anyway. Plus 2 or 3 would have been gone by then, and there's really no standouts. Even Patterson has some question marks, and T. Austin is a lot smaller then Harvin.

I could make the case for Swope being the #1 WR, or Patten even. Very deep, but not stud.

Harvin is still untapped IMO.

So we would still be looking at the same option in round 2 once we went WR anyway.

If not, there is no real point in going TE until the 5th or 6th round, targeting a guy like Nick Kasa.

You may be right:

Colorado’s Nick Kasa has developed into the contingency plan for teams looking to draft a tight end outside the initial three rounds of the draft. Unlike the higher rated players at the position, Kasa does not offer immediate starting possibilities but is a sensational developmental prospect expected to be plucked off the board in round four. The New York Giants, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins have displayed heavy interest in Kasa.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

I think you're selling Quessenberry a little short here. Just my opinion, I would guess he'll go off the board in either the 3rd or 4th round and I think he could be a replacement for either Moffitt at RG or Breno at RT. No objections to any of your other rankings though.

I think you're selling Quessenberry a little short here. Just my opinion, I would guess he'll go off the board in either the 3rd or 4th round and I think he could be a replacement for either Moffitt at RG or Breno at RT. No objections to any of your other rankings though.

You may be right. I am hearing him name brought more frequently. I had moved him up a bit higher within the 5th round as he is trending up, but I still had him 5th round. Still, he could very well go earlier.

You may be right:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Strange how he is linked to the Seahawks but supposedly didn't visit with the team.

But it seems like the Seahawks get linked to plenty of players from west coast colleges and pretty much the entire Pac 12 regardless of location.

It really comes down to what an individual team's needs are and if the depth at those positions are available. That team could think it's a terrific draft. Is it that there are no flashy QB prospects at the top of the draft? Well, how about the year teams were taking Christian Ponder and Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert early in the first round? Come on, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are miles better than those stiffs. It's all relative. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When you assume, you make an ass out of you. Insert another random cliche here. Sh!t. Fock. Fart.

I'm not ready to declare the draft class weak as of yet. :dunno:

I still prefer a DT or LB who might also fall.

I've been trying to read everything I can come across in prep for the draft, and I'm not so sure LB is a need for us at this point. Let me make the case.

Carroll/Schneider proclaimed very recently that Kam Chancellor was the absolute most important goal of the offseason, getting him locked up for an extension. Really? Over getting D-line help? That seems rather odd upon further reflection. I think this is the dawn of a newfangled defense for the Seattle Seahawks. Defensively, there are going to be plenty of times when opposing teams throw 3 and 4 WR sets, or a combination with multiple TEs. Les and less frequently does Seattle run a traditional 4-3-4 defense. In fact, they prefer to run a Cover 3, with Browner and Sherman on the edges and the speedy Earl Thomas covering centerfield. Now, you have the elite level talent of running a 4-2-5 defense, where we still have Cover 3, and Antonio Winfield and Kam Chancellor doing what they do best, thump people, penetrate the gaps, and run support. Actually the entire Seahawk secondary is top of the league in run support. The defensive line is full of edge rushers (Avril, Clemmons, Irvin) and hybrid DE/DT (Bennett, Bryant) and traditional run stuffers (Mebane, Daniels). Also, Avril can slip back to a LB spot, as can Winfield and Chancellor move up into that role too. In fact, I don't think we will have more than two LBs on the field most of the time, as KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner fill those roles, with some young guys backing them up. Have we been bringing in LBs for visits? No. I'm not sure we have brought in a single LB for a visit or visited them. Does that seem odd to anyone else. I think there is a strong chance we are going to run a Big Nickel defense, 4 DL, 2 LB, 5 DBs. And with the unique run support skills by the secondary, we won't be losing run support by taking a LB out. It seems to make sense from where I am sitting. And this type of defense feels like the type that can stop the run option as well. The league goes through changes constantly. Remember the Run and Shoot? The 46 Defense? The Wildcat? I trust we are ahead of curve in scheme.

So, to sum up, I don't think we go LB until maybe 6th or 7th round, for depth.

I've been trying to read everything I can come across in prep for the draft, and I'm not so sure LB is a need for us at this point. Let me make the case.

Carroll/Schneider proclaimed very recently that Kam Chancellor was the absolute most important goal of the offseason, getting him locked up for an extension. Really? Over getting D-line help? That seems rather odd upon further reflection. I think this is the dawn of a newfangled defense for the Seattle Seahawks. Defensively, there are going to be plenty of times when opposing teams throw 3 and 4 WR sets, or a combination with multiple TEs. Les and less frequently does Seattle run a traditional 4-3-4 defense. In fact, they prefer to run a Cover 3, with Browner and Sherman on the edges and the speedy Earl Thomas covering centerfield. Now, you have the elite level talent of running a 4-2-5 defense, where we still have Cover 3, and Antonio Winfield and Kam Chancellor doing what they do best, thump people, penetrate the gaps, and run support. Actually the entire Seahawk secondary is top of the league in run support. The defensive line is full of edge rushers (Avril, Clemmons, Irvin) and hybrid DE/DT (Bennett, Bryant) and traditional run stuffers (Mebane, Daniels). Also, Avril can slip back to a LB spot, as can Winfield and Chancellor move up into that role too. In fact, I don't think we will have more than two LBs on the field most of the time, as KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner fill those roles, with some young guys backing them up. Have we been bringing in LBs for visits? No. I'm not sure we have brought in a single LB for a visit or visited them. Does that seem odd to anyone else. I think there is a strong chance we are going to run a Big Nickel defense, 4 DL, 2 LB, 5 DBs. And with the unique run support skills by the secondary, we won't be losing run support by taking a LB out. It seems to make sense from where I am sitting. And this type of defense feels like the type that can stop the run option as well. The league goes through changes constantly. Remember the Run and Shoot? The 46 Defense? The Wildcat? I trust we are ahead of curve in scheme.

So, to sum up, I don't think we go LB until maybe 6th or 7th round, for depth.

Just saw another mock that had the Hawks taking LB Sio Moore @56. :dunno:

Just saw another mock that had the Hawks taking LB Sio Moore @56. :dunno:

Ay, Carumba. :doh:

I think this team is smart enough to set up their defensive scheme to fit their personnel. Carroll/Schneider (it's hard to separate the wonder twins) promised Winfield will play at least 50% to 70% of the snaps. If we think outside the box, this defense accentuates the positives with the impressive, overhauled defensive line and 5 defensive backs. The linebackers are not so significant, and Leroy Hill's position has been phased out.

Ay, Carumba. :doh:

I think this team is smart enough to set up their defensive scheme to fit their personnel. Carroll/Schneider (it's hard to separate the wonder twins) promised Winfield will play at least 50% to 70% of the snaps. If we think outside the box, this defense accentuates the positives with the impressive, overhauled defensive line and 5 defensive backs. The linebackers are not so significant, and Leroy Hill's position has been phased out.

I have Sio Moore going early 3rd round. He is instinctive, good in coverage, and had impressive combine numbers to improve his draft stock. Yet, he is on the smallish size, so he might last a while. Supposedly, Pittsburgh is very interested in grabbing him for an outside LB in their 3-4 scheme.

You guys see that ESPN 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino". My god I threw up in my mouth twice, we had the 2nd and 15th picks that year...and traded those both away. Those picks Eric Dickerson and Bruce Mathews, just ugh. Nevermind that we could have had Marino twice, or Jim Kelly and we had the picks to trade for Elway as well. Elway even comments that he was born in the northwest and liked the thought of playing for Seattle (I still hate him <_< ).

Just painful to look back on. :angry:

We swapped picks with the Rams in the first from 2nd to 3rd and got Curt Warner, who I loved to death in the 80s but he was no Eric Dickerson. Then we traded out of the 15th pick, although that might have been from a previous trade. Just agonizing what could have beens. It was kind of neat to see how clueless those NFL GM's really where. I honestly believe almost any of us could do as good a job after seeing that level of incompetence.

I honestly believe almost any of us could do as good a job after seeing that level of incompetence.

Don't forget Tim Ruskell. I still have visions of a noose around his neck and me yanking down on his shoes.

I have Sio Moore going early 3rd round. He is instinctive, good in coverage, and had impressive combine numbers to improve his draft stock. Yet, he is on the smallish size, so he might last a while. Supposedly, Pittsburgh is very interested in grabbing him for an outside LB in their 3-4 scheme.

I really like S. Moore myself! He's one of 5 guy's that I would like to get in the 2nd round depending on who's all there. I have him as a solid 2nd round grade, with major potential for higher.

He's my overall #3 LB and actually has better speed then my #1 (Greene).

I think he's a nice pick for our 2nd rounder, and no way is he there in the 3rd round.

(Although, that's cool if that's your grade level - I think he's better)

As far as needing LB - I don't think Avril is a true LB. I don't see him playing there much at all. He's at his best as a edge rusher. He's never done coverage, etc. I think it's a reach.

Why not let Irvin be our LB then? I think Avril is a true DE.

Also, what about injury? What if one of our 2 guy's goes down?

We have maybe 1 decent backup there IMO, so there is easily room for more LB's.

Hill's basically done, and we still traditionally use at least 3 LB's. I'm not so sure your theory will be true other then maybe the occasional 3rd downs, or passing situations.

We need a LB that shuts down TE's. This is a weakness. Cam really didn't do it.

I'm hopefully, this could be where Wilkens comes in. But, we also need to cover that 3rd and 4th WR too.

I don't agree. I think LB is important for many reasons. I can see going DT or something else first, but LB should be thought about again in the 3rd. And value could be there in the 2nd.

Such as S. Moore.

You guys see that ESPN 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino". My god I threw up in my mouth twice, we had the 2nd and 15th picks that year...and traded those both away. Those picks Eric Dickerson and Bruce Mathews, just ugh. Nevermind that we could have had Marino twice, or Jim Kelly and we had the picks to trade for Elway as well. Elway even comments that he was born in the northwest and liked the thought of playing for Seattle (I still hate him <_< ).

Just painful to look back on. :angry:

We swapped picks with the Rams in the first from 2nd to 3rd and got Curt Warner, who I loved to death in the 80s but he was no Eric Dickerson. Then we traded out of the 15th pick, although that might have been from a previous trade. Just agonizing what could have beens. It was kind of neat to see how clueless those NFL GM's really where. I honestly believe almost any of us could do as good a job after seeing that level of incompetence.

I think you have your facts wrong. The Hawks traded up from 9 to 3 with Houston and threw in a 2nd and 3rd rounder. The Hawks did not have 2 first round draft picks that year.

I really like S. Moore myself! He's one of 5 guy's that I would like to get in the 2nd round depending on who's all there. I have him as a solid 2nd round grade, with major potential for higher.

He's my overall #3 LB and actually has better speed then my #1 (Greene).

I think he's a nice pick for our 2nd rounder, and no way is he there in the 3rd round.

(Although, that's cool if that's your grade level - I think he's better)

As far as needing LB - I don't think Avril is a true LB. I don't see him playing there much at all. He's at his best as a edge rusher. He's never done coverage, etc. I think it's a reach.

Why not let Irvin be our LB then? I think Avril is a true DE.

Also, what about injury? What if one of our 2 guy's goes down?

We have maybe 1 decent backup there IMO, so there is easily room for more LB's.

Hill's basically done, and we still traditionally use at least 3 LB's. I'm not so sure your theory will be true other then maybe the occasional 3rd downs, or passing situations.

We need a LB that shuts down TE's. This is a weakness. Cam really didn't do it.

I'm hopefully, this could be where Wilkens comes in. But, we also need to cover that 3rd and 4th WR too.

I don't agree. I think LB is important for many reasons. I can see going DT or something else first, but LB should be thought about again in the 3rd. And value could be there in the 2nd.

Such as S. Moore.

Link

Even though Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner are Seattle’s starting cornerbacks, Schneider said the team considers Winfield a starter because he’ll play between 50 to 70 percent of the snaps this season.

Logically, Winfield is not the backup corner since Browner and Sherman play to the outside, Winfield's role is to the inside and slot. Trufant was a liability last season in a slot role, so the team was not looking to go nickel as much as they probably wanted to in order to protect that exposed weakness. So, if the GM is telling us Winfield is considered a starter and will be on the field most of the time, then a LB is sitting on the bench. Scheme wise, this team will be at it's best when only two LBs are on the field. Take traditional and throw it out the window. Carroll/Schneider has done nothing in 3 years that is considered traditional. This team was playing 7 DBs in a bandit defense at times 3 years ago. More teams are morphing to 4-2-5 because a traditional defense cannot cover modern offenses with any consistency.

Irvin can't play LB because he is unable to stop the run. Cliff Avril gave interviews prior to being drafted expressing his willingness to play outside LB if a team wanted him to do that. If occasionally he drops back off the line, maybe he can do it. Maybe not. But it's thinking outside the box. I think we will continue to see a lot of unconventional defenses, considering the talent amassed in order to maximize their talents. In fact, I'd look at adding to the depth behind Chancellor and Winfield before Wagner and Wright because I think their roles are more crucial. We've visited with more strong safeties than Linebackers pre draft.

We will see. I've seen no reason to expect a LB being taken until much later in the draft. And I would be OK with it. Or I could be completely out of my mind.

Link

Logically, Winfield is not the backup corner since Browner and Sherman play to the outside, Winfield's role is to the inside and slot. Trufant was a liability last season in a slot role, so the team was not looking to go nickel as much as they probably wanted to in order to protect that exposed weakness. So, if the GM is telling us Winfield is considered a starter and will be on the field most of the time, then a LB is sitting on the bench. Scheme wise, this team will be at it's best when only two LBs are on the field. Take traditional and throw it out the window. Carroll/Schneider has done nothing in 3 years that is considered traditional. This team was playing 7 DBs in a bandit defense at times 3 years ago. More teams are morphing to 4-2-5 because a traditional defense cannot cover modern offenses with any consistency.

Irvin can't play LB because he is unable to stop the run. Cliff Avril gave interviews prior to being drafted expressing his willingness to play outside LB if a team wanted him to do that. If occasionally he drops back off the line, maybe he can do it. Maybe not. But it's thinking outside the box. I think we will continue to see a lot of unconventional defenses, considering the talent amassed in order to maximize their talents. In fact, I'd look at adding to the depth behind Chancellor and Winfield before Wagner and Wright because I think their roles are more crucial. We've visited with more strong safeties than Linebackers pre draft.

We will see. I've seen no reason to expect a LB being taken until much later in the draft. And I would be OK with it. Or I could be completely out of my mind.

By the same token, if we're running a 4-2-5 as a base defense, then we need more DBs. Thomas is not really replaceable, but we need someone at FS who can step in if he gets injured for a long period of time. I like Duke Williams out of Nevada to do the same for Kam Chancellor. We have a core of Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas. Winfield as the 5th Beatle. Then other players like Jeremy Lane, Winston Guy, who are backups, but JS and PC are always looking to see how new talent would compete against existing talent. Not counting Walter Thurmond since the guy is always injured, but that's why we got him in the 4th rd in the first place. So there's room for improvement in the backups and I could see using a 3rd or 4th round pick to improve there. I still see the goal of the 2nd rounder as extra depth on the interior defensive line, but maybe the chips don't fall right for that.

By the same token, if we're running a 4-2-5 as a base defense, then we need more DBs. Thomas is not really replaceable, but we need someone at FS who can step in if he gets injured for a long period of time. I like Duke Williams out of Nevada to do the same for Kam Chancellor. We have a core of Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas. Winfield as the 5th Beatle. Then other players like Jeremy Lane, Winston Guy, who are backups, but JS and PC are always looking to see how new talent would compete against existing talent. Not counting Walter Thurmond since the guy is always injured, but that's why we got him in the 4th rd in the first place. So there's room for improvement in the backups and I could see using a 3rd or 4th round pick to improve there. I still see the goal of the 2nd rounder as extra depth on the interior defensive line, but maybe the chips don't fall right for that.

:Rubs hands together: Now we're talking.

I expect that we will select O linemen, a TE, and a WR over the next few days. We just signed Jeron Johnson, but still think a QB is a strong possibility. The real fascinating development will be which direction we go in regards to defensive players. Sure, we can use DT help. But considering the 5 starters in the defensive backfield, along with J Johnson, W Guy, J Lane, and W Thurmond, if we continue to stockpile DBs, then we have a broad clue to the future of the defense. I think Leroy Hill was rotating at his LB spot last year, so maybe they like some of the other guys anyway. It's probably Malcolm Smith's WLB "job" to lose at this point.

Link

Good points.... I remember Trufant on the field a lot. And always getting beat. So yeah, I expect Winfield to be in there a lot and the 70%+ fits most likely.

However, I thought we usually line up 3 men on the line when we do this?

Not always taking out a LB? Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they mix it up?

But, I know I saw a lot of 3 man rushing last year. Seems like when we were in that nickel passing down.

I wish we blitz more when we only rush the 3, because that 3 man sometimes offers NO pressure at all.

But, maybe our new additions will solve that though. :)

:Rubs hands together: Now we're talking.

I expect that we will select O linemen, a TE, and a WR over the next few days. We just signed Jeron Johnson, but still think a QB is a strong possibility. The real fascinating development will be which direction we go in regards to defensive players. Sure, we can use DT help. But considering the 5 starters in the defensive backfield, along with J Johnson, W Guy, J Lane, and W Thurmond, if we continue to stockpile DBs, then we have a broad clue to the future of the defense. I think Leroy Hill was rotating at his LB spot last year, so maybe they like some of the other guys anyway. It's probably Malcolm Smith's WLB "job" to lose at this point.

Don't be too upset if that doesn't happen. (oline, TE, WR) :)

I could see us not taking any of those positions early actually.

I guess it's pretty wide open. We could go any route. But, I still say DT early.

Mebane and Red did not impress me personally and I could see being replaced real soon or need to be. And I think we need a every down rusher from DT and up the middle. Our edge rushers get pushed out wide. Irvin, Clemmons, and Avril ALL go way out wide on there rushing. A lot of times forced out of the play all together. That's there strength and I like it. But, pressure up the middle is a huge need for us to compensate for them.

If QB's can just step up in the middle, all that edge rushing don't matter.

Good points.... I remember Trufant on the field a lot. And always getting beat. So yeah, I expect Winfield to be in there a lot and the 70%+ fits most likely.

However, I thought we usually line up 3 men on the line when we do this?

Not always taking out a LB? Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they mix it up?

But, I know I saw a lot of 3 man rushing last year. Seems like when we were in that nickel passing down.

I wish we blitz more when we only rush the 3, because that 3 man sometimes offers NO pressure at all.

But, maybe our new additions will solve that though. :)

I suppose they were mixing it up, but you would also have formations where you would have Dlinemen drop back into coverage and/or disrupt traffic, leaving fewer players to rush the passer. But I'm sure we will see some 3-3-5 formations as well as possibilities will exist in the playbook. We haven't been able to generate pressure on the QB in seemingly a decade. And Gus Bradley did not call all that many blitzes, so I'm curious what Quinn will do. But we have all these new shiny toys, upgrading at 3 starting defensive positions, on defense this year. I know the pieces fit, what shape they will take remains to be seen.

Don't be too upset if that doesn't happen. (oline, TE, WR) :)

I could see us not taking any of those positions early actually.

I guess it's pretty wide open. We could go any route. But, I still say DT early.

I'm feeling much more mellow this year. Hard to imagine.

Indeed, the draft is wide open this year. All things considered equal, I would prefer to take a DT with one of the Day Two picks.

I'm feeling much more mellow this year. Hard to imagine.

Indeed, the draft is wide open this year. All things considered equal, I would prefer to take a DT with one of the Day Two picks.

I've taken today off. Draft coverage starts at 1 pm on NFL network!

Friday Draft Buzz:

The Seahawks already have used their first round pick to acquire Percy Harvin this offseason, but the feeling inside team headquarters is they are still one elite wide receiver away from being a complete team. The Seahawks’ first pick is the 56th overall, but they still have 10 selections so they could do some maneuvering in order to put themselves in position to select one of the draft’s better receivers. Trading into the first round would be a long shot, however.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/friday-buzz-thursday-edition-093627273--nfl.html

Rob Staton's final Seahawk mock draft:

R2 - DT Jesse Williams, R3 – RB Denard Robinson, R4 – TE Nick Kasa, R5- T Luke Marquardt, R5 – S Duke Williams, R6 – DT Stefan Charles, R7 – RB Jeremy Wright, R7 – WR/CB Russell Shepard, R7 – TE Michael Williams R7 – QB B.J. Daniels

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

I suppose they were mixing it up, but you would also have formations where you would have Dlinemen drop back into coverage and/or disrupt traffic, leaving fewer players to rush the passer. But I'm sure we will see some 3-3-5 formations as well as possibilities will exist in the playbook. We haven't been able to generate pressure on the QB in seemingly a decade. And Gus Bradley did not call all that many blitzes, so I'm curious what Quinn will do. But we have all these new shiny toys, upgrading at 3 starting defensive positions, on defense this year. I know the pieces fit, what shape they will take remains to be seen.

I do not want to see too much 3-3-5 actually. Irvin played in that as a base defense at West Virginia and he often disappeared in it. Unless the argument for Irvin is that they don't envision him as a guy who will play 60%-70% of the snaps, in which case, why did we use a 1st rounder on him?

I've taken today off. Draft coverage starts at 1 pm on NFL network!

I've been off all week. Needed to take days off before losing them; you can only bank so much, which is around 10 weeks vacation. Went golfing yesterday for the first time all year, took almost 6 hours because of all the slow faggut 4 somes ahead of me that wouldn't let a single golfer play through, thank God for my mp3 player, got sunburned, shot a 91. I'm on a 6 day bender. Tee time tomorrow at 9:00 AM. Might have to go to a casino Saturday morning. Did I mention I'm on an alcoholic bender? I feel like I'm in the movie True Romance. Except for no broad. Maybe I will get a hooker tonight, then kill her, and bury her on the golf course.

Yep. It's draft week. :pointstosky:

I've been off all week. Needed to take days off before losing them; you can only bank so much, which is around 10 weeks vacation. Went golfing yesterday for the first time all year, took almost 6 hours because of all the slow faggut 4 somes ahead of me that wouldn't let a single golfer play through, thank God for my mp3 player, got sunburned, shot a 91. I'm on a 6 day bender. Tee time tomorrow at 9:00 AM. Might have to go to a casino Saturday morning. Did I mention I'm on an alcoholic bender? I feel like I'm in the movie True Romance. Except for no broad. Maybe I will get a hooker tonight, then kill her, and bury her on the golf course.

:overhead: :thumbsup: :headbanger:

It ain't white boy day is it? :)