Sign in to follow this  
Lackman

***The Official Seattle Seahawks 2013 Offseason Thread***

Giacomini was driving me nuts with the penalties, and he is a solid player. However, his deal expires next season. He will make 3 million next season. There is zero chance the front office will look to negotiate an extension right now because they want to lock in the star players, namely Chancellor. They may want to hold onto Golden Tate. He will be 28 this season. Is he the long term answer at the position? Will he get a better deal elsewhere in free agency? We signed him when he was a backup/competing for a starting job. If he starts the whole year, he's earned more than 3 million per. Do you draft a RT in case you let Giacomini walk. I don't like the current depth at that spot. If nothing else, a tackle is an important depth position. At some point, we will start to lose some of these guys to other teams, so you have to plan for the future.

Also, since this team has accumulated so many key pieces, I guess in this year's draft I will spend less time harping on drafting for value, but will really give the benefit of the doubt for specialized positions. I would not have gone so bat sh!t last year with the Irvin pick if we had already acquired Bennett and Arvil, for example. I'm going to miss being a lunatic.

I agree with everything here. Draft a Tackle this year, let him backup both the left and right side for us this year. And then have the potential for him to start at RT next year if need be.

This is also my position with wanting a TE. We have the luxary of being a team with very few holes. We need a 3rd RB and a Kicker. Both can be had late in the draft, or elsewhere. LB and another Lineman, DT,DE or even a tweener to play both is really all I see. So might as well get a year ahead of the game with the T and TE positions.

Also, I think we're in pretty good position to extend contracts. Doesn't the salary cap get a big increase the next couple of years?

That along with the eventual loss of Flynn, and maybe Miller and Giacomini. I don't forsee a hard time keeping guys around.

Well, after fresh numbers came out on cap limits, adding in the money the Cowboys and Redskins were fined for cap management last year and distributed to the rest of the league, there is still over 6 million under the cap, even after the million used to resign the long snapper a couple of days ago.

The number stands at 6.839 million

Kind of a nice luxury to be talking about drafting for backups and depth. It will be interesting to see if they admit they where wrong about Carpenter and do draft a new RT. I would be ok with a O-lineman prospect, our O-line has improved but it still needs work. Wilson's mobility has made them look better than they are in pass coverage where I actually think they kind of suck. <_< Wilson is running so much because our tackles are beaten often enough to be a problem. But they have sunk a lot of high round picks into the O-line with Okung, Unger, and Carpenter. I am not sure they will be willing to admit they need to improve here.

I still see linebacker as our biggest draft day need. I am not so sure about Avril at linebacker, what are the odds he is decent in coverage? Run support was his weakness as a DE will he be able to support the run as a LB? If he can't cover and is weak against the run we just have another version of Irvin on the field, you know he is coming on the blitz and can shift coverage his way. He should have much better in that role than Irvin, but he basically makes Irvin redundant and merely depth (which is good but means they wasted the pick). I want another young fast "true" LB that can cover, Flahawkers post indicated there should be several available in the second round that fit that bill. This would let us float Avril up onto the line more often and reduce his responsibilites as a LB and let him run wild as a pass rusher.

TE depth would be nice as well as several posters have mentioned.

Kind of a nice luxury to be talking about drafting for backups and depth. It will be interesting to see if they admit they where wrong about Carpenter and do draft a new RT. I would be ok with a O-lineman prospect, our O-line has improved but it still needs work. Wilson's mobility has made them look better than they are in pass coverage where I actually think they kind of suck. <_< Wilson is running so much because our tackles are beaten often enough to be a problem. But they have sunk a lot of high round picks into the O-line with Okung, Unger, and Carpenter. I am not sure they will be willing to admit they need to improve here.

I still see linebacker as our biggest draft day need. I am not so sure about Avril at linebacker, what are the odds he is decent in coverage? Run support was his weakness as a DE will he be able to support the run as a LB? If he can't cover and is weak against the run we just have another version of Irvin on the field, you know he is coming on the blitz and can shift coverage his way. He should have much better in that role than Irvin, but he basically makes Irvin redundant and merely depth (which is good but means they wasted the pick). I want another young fast "true" LB that can cover, Flahawkers post indicated there should be several available in the second round that fit that bill. This would let us float Avril up onto the line more often and reduce his responsibilites as a LB and let him run wild as a pass rusher.

TE depth would be nice as well as several posters have mentioned.

I agree on most this, but I also think some of the problems fell onto the WR's also. I don't think they were able to get open a lot of times in a timely manner. This also forced Wilson to move out too and buy time for them, not just the Oline. Also, some of this is probably on Wilson too being a rookie.

This is why I LOVE the P. Harvin pickup. I think WR, who can get open with speed, was a huge issue.

That move does so much for us in all areas!

I really like some of the Oline we have and I think Moffit and Carpenter still have major potential once they stay healthy. Some of the others are stepping up real nicely.

I'm fine with going Oline "LATE" in the draft. I'm done waisting picks on them for the most part early though.

I agree LB that can cover is huge. (I would love to land Greene or M. Teo)

And DT that can pressure and stuff the run is equally important.

To me, those 2 spots are no brainers to be picked in the first 3 rounds. But, we do have the luxary of taking best player too.

So if the one of the top two TE's drop, I'm good for that.

If a top Corner drops, I might even be good for that.

I want DT/LB with our first 2 picks I'm pretty sure though.

Just signed DT Tony McDaniel, played on the Dolphins last year. The contract is likely to be rather modest, 1 year deal. There is that one year deal pattern again. Good depth guy, may compete for a starting spot opposite Mebane. Obviously, fills a need. Alan Branch is probably not coming back.

Which leads to speculation of whether Red Bryant moves to DT full time, and McDaniel is the 3rd guy in the rotation for now. Bryant is too one dimensional playing the run on the outside. With the addition of Avril and Bennett to the roster, if might be time to turn all those pass rushers loose all the time, not just 3rd and long.

Kind of a nice luxury to be talking about drafting for backups and depth. It will be interesting to see if they admit they where wrong about Carpenter and do draft a new RT.

They moved Carpenter to left guard and quite frankly he was road grader with his run blocking until he got hurt.

They moved Carpenter to left guard and quite frankly he was road grader with his run blocking until he got hurt.

I was just gonna post something like this myself.

They already admitted their mistake in Carpenter by moving him to Guard imo.

Just signed DT Tony McDaniel, played on the Dolphins last year. The contract is likely to be rather modest, 1 year deal. There is that one year deal pattern again. Good depth guy, may compete for a starting spot opposite Mebane. Obviously, fills a need. Alan Branch is probably not coming back.

Which leads to speculation of whether Red Bryant moves to DT full time, and McDaniel is the 3rd guy in the rotation for now. Bryant is too one dimensional playing the run on the outside. With the addition of Avril and Bennett to the roster, if might be time to turn all those pass rushers loose all the time, not just 3rd and long.

Bryant was not all that effective inside, which is why they moved him outside to begin with, as an experiment. Sure he's one-dimensional out there, but when healthy he made a huge difference in run defense. When he was forced to play hurt, our run D fell apart. I would rather keep him out there, use Bennett inside for up-the-middle pressure, and use Avril at OLB.

Matt Flynn is about to be traded to Oakland.

Look, all the major players in the trade universe, including guys that work for ESPN and NFL Network are saying it's about to happen.

For who, For what? Dunno.

What does this mean in the football universe?

So, who is the backup now?

Matt Flynn is about to be traded to Oakland.

Look, all the major players in the trade universe, including guys that work for ESPN and NFL Network are saying it's about to happen.

For who, For what? Dunno.

What does this mean in the football universe?

So, who is the backup now?

Oakland is Newbiejr dumb so you never know what they mght give up. I read over at Seahawks Draft Blog that a swapping of 3rd round picks (4/25) would equate to a 4th round pick. That would be awesome IMO. Johnny Schneider is a friggin JEDI! :overhead:

Oakland is Newbiejr dumb so you never know what they mght give up. I read over at Seahawks Draft Blog that a swapping of 3rd round picks (4/25) would equate to a 4th round pick. That would be awesome IMO. Johnny Schneider is a friggin JEDI! :overhead:

Maybe they toss back Terrell Pryor. People keep trying to give us Janikowski in the trade too. Lots of possibilities. I'm drinking and wondering.

Again, for one last time, I think Flynn is one of the top 15-20 QBs in this league, and it's a damn shame to give up a talent like that for whatever we get, other than cap room, which is essential. They better sign Abraham tomorrow if this goes through.

Oakland doesn't have a 2nd round pick, and we already have their 5th (Aaron Curry trade).

I will support this trade if it involves the following:

- a 4th rd or better pick in 2013; and

- a conditional mid-rd pick in 2014

The Raiders do not have a 1st rounder nor a 2nd rounder this year. I can't imagine them also giving up their 3rd rounder because they are starved for talent, but who knows, it's the Raiders. But a 4th rd pick plus a 3rd rounder next year would go nicely towards replacing the ammo we lost getting Percy.

If we dump Flynn, we have no backup for RW obviously, which means everyone knows we need a Cousins-like pick in the draft this year - something between rds 3-5. Who? Matt Scott from Arizona? Given how desperate so many teams are for a QB, I think QBs are getting overdrafted this year. We could end up watching these guys fly off the board in rds 1-2 and then discovering that our fortunes depend on RW staying healthy. Because the alternative is someone not fast enough and/or accurate enough to allow the offense to keep doing what it's doing.

Shows how much I know. I thought for sure that Oakland would not deal for Flynn because I thought they were trying to conserve their draft capital. As if Matt Flynn, as good as I think he is, is going to turn that pirate ship around.

I will support this trade if it involves the following:

- a 4th rd or better pick in 2013; and

- a conditional mid-rd pick in 2014

The Raiders do not have a 1st rounder nor a 2nd rounder this year. I can't imagine them also giving up their 3rd rounder because they are starved for talent, but who knows, it's the Raiders. But a 4th rd pick plus a 3rd rounder next year would go nicely towards replacing the ammo we lost getting Percy.

If we dump Flynn, we have no backup for RW obviously, which means everyone knows we need a Cousins-like pick in the draft this year - something between rds 3-5. Who? Matt Scott from Arizona? Given how desperate so many teams are for a QB, I think QBs are getting overdrafted this year. We could end up watching these guys fly off the board in rds 1-2 and then discovering that our fortunes depend on RW staying healthy. Because the alternative is someone not fast enough and/or accurate enough to allow the offense to keep doing what it's doing.

Shows how much I know. I thought for sure that Oakland would not deal for Flynn because I thought they were trying to conserve their draft capital. As if Matt Flynn, as good as I think he is, is going to turn that pirate ship around.

I hate to give up Flynn. Faithful readers of this and similar threads know this. That being said....

The only reason to give up Flynn is to acquire additional talent, so maybe that's OK. There is NOTHING worth drafting that could possibly be an upgrade of Flynn to backup Wilson, including a Geno Smith or Matt Barkley, so it's a major step back. If Wilson gets hurt, and he is a mobile QB taking hits, the season is OVER.

We could trade for another QB, potentially. Colt McCoy, or another misused QB. For the love of God, not Whitehurst.

Maybe they toss back Terrell Pryor. People keep trying to give us Janikowski in the trade too. Lots of possibilities. I'm drinking and wondering.

Again, for one last time, I think Flynn is one of the top 15-20 QBs in this league, and it's a damn shame to give up a talent like that for whatever we get, other than cap room, which is essential. They better sign Abraham tomorrow if this goes through.

Trade close according to Albert Breer:

The Seahawks and Raiders have in fact agreed to draft-pick compensation on a tentative trade to send Matt Flynn to Oakland. Deal’s close.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) March 29, 2013

I would take the polish cannon :cheers:

I hate to give up Flynn. Faithful readers of this and similar threads know this. That being said....

The only reason to give up Flynn is to acquire additional talent, so maybe that's OK. There is NOTHING worth drafting that could possibly be an upgrade of Flynn to backup Wilson, including a Geno Smith or Matt Barkley, so it's a major step back. If Wilson gets hurt, and he is a mobile QB taking hits, the season is OVER.

We could trade for another QB, potentially. Colt McCoy, or another misused QB. For the love of God, not Whitehurst.

Probably V.Young if we sign somebody. I wouldn't mind Colt McCoy.

I hope we arn't giving him for scraps though, but I like the idea of trading him. Some people don't see any value in him actually, and he is almost 30. However, that's not my view as I do like Flynn.

But, getting any draft value is nice especially when we can turn any pick into a goldmine.

I might have to start studying QB's now. :D

Your probably right on Carpenter at guard, I just hope they don't end up overuling Cable and the coaches in the future, or overlooking the tackle spot to deliberatley force the issue with the coaches.

Torn on the Flynn news, if we are serious about a deep playoff run we need homefield advantage for as long as possible in the playoffs and having a quality backup is there is a 2-3 game injury gap to Wilson could mean everything. If what we all hope and dream is true and based on the moves management has made this season we all see a deep playoff run as probably likely I think having a possibly overpaid but quality QB could be a big deal.

Based on these sick QB deals, how much is Wilson going to cost us in three years if he keeps up his current progress? I say if he wins us a Superbowl in the next 2 years he breaks 200million total, ugh.

Your probably right on Carpenter at guard, I just hope they don't end up overuling Cable and the coaches in the future, or overlooking the tackle spot to deliberatley force the issue with the coaches.

Torn on the Flynn news, if we are serious about a deep playoff run we need homefield advantage for as long as possible in the playoffs and having a quality backup is there is a 2-3 game injury gap to Wilson could mean everything. If what we all hope and dream is true and based on the moves management has made this season we all see a deep playoff run as probably likely I think having a possibly overpaid but quality QB could be a big deal.

Based on these sick QB deals, how much is Wilson going to cost us in three years if he keeps up his current progress? I say if he wins us a Superbowl in the next 2 years he breaks 200million total, ugh.

Look, if he wins us a super bowl in the next 2 years, give him $200m, the key to the city and three big-breasted sluts to keep him company on rainy days. Who cares, we'd be champions. CHAMPIONS. This is a good problem to have.

Seattle has to go all in to win in the next few years. Other teams are hamstrung with $20M/per year QBs Seattle can -and has been- spednig that money elsewhere. An they've done a heck of a job doing so. RW will get his money eventually, everybody else is getting it now. Gotta take advantage of the three year period before that happens. Managment to their credit sees this.

The latest I had heard was the trade is pretty much done. We'll get a pick this year, and 1 next year. Right now the hold up is Flynn's contract. The Raiders are looking to restructure it or something. But the deal should be done in a day or 2.

Appears that we got a later round pick 2014 and a conditional later round pick in 2015.

First of all, I hate to lose the best backup QB in the NFL for two shitty 3rd day picks. Alex Smith gets you an early 2nd rounder, and we get two future 6th rounders or whatever. It's bullsh!t.

Deep breath.

I get the need to clear some cap space to resign our players over the next couple of years. I get it that nobody was signing Flynn last year, and we managed to turn this guy into a couple of draft picks. He ended up with a sore elbow from practicing too much. Carroll and Schneider try to do right by the players, so they gave Flynn a shot at a starting job in the league, like they did for Leon Washington and many others. Since we have way too many picks in this year's draft, 10 at last count, I get the appeal of stockpiling future picks. However, don't forget, based on the value chart, a 7th round pick this year is worth a 6th round pick next year. It's a sliding scale, so if all we got was a 5th rounder next year, it's the same as acquiring a 6th round pick this year. Charlie Whitehurst carried the price tag of a 3rd round pick and a swap of 2nd rounders. Oakland probably got the better end of the trade.

On the other hand, if Wilson gets hurt, the season is OVER. Done. Absolutely done. Now, this team is walking a tight rope with no safety net. Flynn was still very affordable, so this move did not have to be made. Flynn played just about as well as Wilson last year in training camp especially, and did well in the games. Flynn can play in this league. It's a shame that it didn't lead to a better trade.

Looks like a 5th and a 5th.

So we will own Oakland's 5th for 3 straight years, including this year's (Aaron Curry trade). Well, let's hope Oakland is as bad as advertised.

It has begun. The speculation of Seattle signing one of the endless piles of garbage backup QBs available and the media loving it.

Don't want.

Oh, let's not forget, Josh Portis is on the Toronto Argonauts. So...we need to find two QBs, one or both from the draft.

It has begun. The speculation of Seattle signing one of the endless piles of garbage backup QBs available and the media loving it.

Don't want.

You'll want that cap space. Even if the FAs are getting thin now, there'll be another round come June 1st.

Appears that we got a later round pick 2014 and a conditional later round pick in 2015.

First of all, I hate to lose the best backup QB in the NFL for two shitty 3rd day picks. Alex Smith gets you an early 2nd rounder, and we get two future 6th rounders or whatever. It's bullsh!t.

Deep breath.

I get the need to clear some cap space to resign our players over the next couple of years. I get it that nobody was signing Flynn last year, and we managed to turn this guy into a couple of draft picks. He ended up with a sore elbow from practicing too much. Carroll and Schneider try to do right by the players, so they gave Flynn a shot at a starting job in the league, like they did for Leon Washington and many others. Since we have way too many picks in this year's draft, 10 at last count, I get the appeal of stockpiling future picks. However, don't forget, based on the value chart, a 7th round pick this year is worth a 6th round pick next year. It's a sliding scale, so if all we got was a 5th rounder next year, it's the same as acquiring a 6th round pick this year. Charlie Whitehurst carried the price tag of a 3rd round pick and a swap of 2nd rounders. Oakland probably got the better end of the trade.

On the other hand, if Wilson gets hurt, the season is OVER. Done. Absolutely done. Now, this team is walking a tight rope with no safety net. Flynn was still very affordable, so this move did not have to be made. Flynn played just about as well as Wilson last year in training camp especially, and did well in the games. Flynn can play in this league. It's a shame that it didn't lead to a better trade.

Why is it that in a league straved for QBs, Matt Flynn had no market? He had no market last year and as expected had no market this year. The answer is simple: he's mediocre on his best day. A limp armed QB with lackluster leadership skills is simply not going to net a team a big haul. That being said, getting two more 5th round picks is awesome. Johnny Jedi Schneider does his best in the 5th rd. Can't wait to see the next two pro bowlers he plucks out of the draft because this deal :thumbsup:

You'll want that cap space. Even if the FAs are getting thin now, there'll be another round come June 1st.

It frees up 3 million of cap space this year, some of which will have to go to find backup QBs. It's not much in savings this year all things considered. We were already nearly 7 million under the cap, before the trade. Next year, it's maybe clearing 5 or 7 million in savings off the books, but several high ticket veteran contracts expire next year too.

This move feels like it didn't have to happen.

Why is it that in a league straved for QBs, Matt Flynn had no market? He had no market last year and as expected had no market this year. The answer is simple: he's mediocre on his best day. A limp armed QB with lackluster leadership skills is simply not going to net a team a big haul. That being said, getting two more 5th round picks is awesome. Johnny Jedi Schneider does his best in the 5th rd. Can't wait to see the next two pro bowlers he plucks out of the draft because this deal :thumbsup:

Alex Smith. Kevin Kolb. Matt Moore. These stiffs can find jobs. Matt Flynn played Russell Wilson to a draw in the QB competition last year. Without revising history as we will hear all the tall tales in the future of how great and dazzling Wilson was right from the get go, that is what happened. It's no wonder so many GMs lose jobs; they don't pay attention.

Limp wristed? Like Matt Hasselbeck? Yeah, that guy was a turd. Joe Montana shows that's it's better to be accurate than have a rocket arm. I don't think Tom Brady has a cannon. Accuracy. And granted, Wilson threw zero picks and 20 TDS in the red zone last year. That's impressive and accurate. Meanwhile, this team gets the value equivalent of a 6th rounder next year and a 7th rounder in two years for a guy that is better than at least half the starting QBs in the league right now. Tarvaris Jackson and Seneca Wallace were worth almost the same in trades. Have you seen the dreck out there? Flynn is very smart, uncanny in accuracy and anticipation on the break and reading his progressions. The only reason he couldn't get a job starting is that he was landlocked behind Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. If Flynn had some talent around him in Oakland, he could be become excellent.

This team is much worse off right now for letting Flynn go.

It frees up 3 million of cap space this year, some of which will have to go to find backup QBs. It's not much in savings this year all things considered. We were already nearly 7 million under the cap, before the trade. Next year, it's maybe clearing 5 or 7 million in savings off the books, but several high ticket veteran contracts expire next year too.

This move feels like it didn't have to happen.

I'm not to happy, I thought we would get 3rd round value. Especially, if we could show case him some during preseason.

However, he does not have a market and is almost 30. We don't know what the locker room is like and if he could be causing problems, even though it seems like a non issue. And it does save us money this year and next. We also pick well anywhere.

I think he would have been cut - So I guess this is as good as it gets for us.

I do like the idea of gaining extra picks in the future. This is something NE does well.

Also, the Raiders should have a early pick, so you can almost look at is as late 4th's.

I don't think Wilson will get hurt, but it is taking a risk that I don't see was really worth it.

So I'm not that happy. I've always liked FLynn and think he could actually be a solid starter. Raiders may have even stole him.

That being said, we got him for free and turned it into 2 picks and found our Franchise QB in the mean time so I guess no biggy.

Deep breath again. Flynn is gone, too soon.

Anyway, yeah, the 5th round has yielded Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor.

And busts Korey Toomer, Mark LeGree

But it's a decent batting average at .500, admittedly.

Also, the Raiders should have a early pick, so you can almost look at is as late 4th's.

That's probably the only thing keeping me from breathing into a paper bag right now.

However, you saw how quickly this team was rebuilt. In two years, we could be drafting before Oakland. The league can change in a hurry. The NFC West defenses will clobber each other 6 times a year, while Denver gets old and San Diego and KC are not good.

That's probably the only thing keeping me from breathing into a paper bag right now.

However, you saw how quickly this team was rebuilt. In two years, we could be drafting before Oakland. The league can change in a hurry. The NFC West defenses will clobber each other 6 times a year, while Denver gets old and San Diego and KC are not good.

In that Div, the Raiders are a long way from being anything I think. Denver will dominate, and I'd say KC is improving far suppior. And SD has potential with Rivers.

I'm not worried much at all that the Raiders suddenly get good and cause our picks to be far worse.

You never know, but I'd feel safe to bet that they are near the bottom.

Also, I wonder if the "conditional" pick could get us the 3rd round value? They actually did not say what that 2nd pick is did they? Maybe it's a 5 to a 4 or even a 4 to 3 or something? I dono?

I'm pretty sure they must have a Rookie QB on target or a plan. Wilson is already like a vet.

It might not be a bad idea to have a "young fall back plan" to groom up. And rookies are cheap, and Wilson will demand big money soon.

Alex Smith. Kevin Kolb. Matt Moore. These stiffs can find jobs. Matt Flynn played Russell Wilson to a draw in the QB competition last year. Without revising history as we will hear all the tall tales in the future of how great and dazzling Wilson was right from the get go, that is what happened. It's no wonder so many GMs lose jobs; they don't pay attention.

Limp wristed? Like Matt Hasselbeck? Yeah, that guy was a turd. Joe Montana shows that's it's better to be accurate than have a rocket arm. I don't think Tom Brady has a cannon. Accuracy. And granted, Wilson threw zero picks and 20 TDS in the red zone last year. That's impressive and accurate. Meanwhile, this team gets the value equivalent of a 6th rounder next year and a 7th rounder in two years for a guy that is better than at least half the starting QBs in the league right now. Tarvaris Jackson and Seneca Wallace were worth almost the same in trades. Have you seen the dreck out there? Flynn is very smart, uncanny in accuracy and anticipation on the break and reading his progressions. The only reason he couldn't get a job starting is that he was landlocked behind Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. If Flynn had some talent around him in Oakland, he could be become excellent.

This team is much worse off right now for letting Flynn go.

Smith, Kolb, and Moore are better than Flynn. Please do not put Matt Flynn's name in the same sentence with Matt Hasselbeck or even in the same galaxy as Tom Brady or Joe Montana. The league has spoken: Flynn is a borderline bum. Hell his old coach in GB had the chance to sign him in FA and shut the door in his face. That tells me all I need to know about Matt Flynn. The Raiders think so highly of him that they are making him take a pay cut! I wish Flynn did have some talent in Oakland to work with. Now, when he hits rock bottom it will still not be his fault but instead the terrible surrounding cast. Good riddance to Matt Flynn.

Edit:

Oh yea Flynn ws also beaten out in college by that stud Jamarcus Russell.

I'm not to happy, I thought we would get 3rd round value.

I agreed with almost everything you said except this. No one is giving up a third round pick for Flynn because he threw 6 TDs against a pathetic Lions team. Hell two 5ths is highway robbery in my opinion.

Smith, Kolb, and Moore are better than Flynn. Please do not put Matt Flynn's name in the same sentence with Matt Hasselbeck or even in the same galaxy as Tom Brady or Joe Montana. The league has spoken: Flynn is a borderline bum. Hell his old coach in GB had the chance to sign him in FA and shut the door in his face. That tells me all I need to know about Matt Flynn. The Raiders think so highly of him that they are making him take a pay cut! I wish Flynn did have some talent in Oakland to work with. Now, when he hits rock bottom it will still not be his fault but instead the terrible surrounding cast. Good riddance to Matt Flynn.

Edit:

Oh yea Flynn ws also beaten out in college by that stud Jamarcus Russell.

The league is mostly full of morons who are terrible at talent evaluation. You're talking about Miami like they aren't the worst run NFL franchise? The team goes on HBO, gets nationally ridiculed, spurned by Flynn, spends the season sucking, go into this year overspending on a bunch of dreck to enter cap hell in a full run, paid Mike Wallace nearly as much as Flacco and Brady, and this is a team you chose to take a poke at Flynn? Really? Well, Miami did beat Wilson. Still, his old coach from Green Bay has lost control of that lockerroom. The Raiders are looking to give Flynn a longer deal with more guaranteed money last I heard. Much like Schneider and Carroll have done, Oakland is now run with the same philosophy or cutting the dead weight immediately and competing at every spot. Enter Flynn.

Flynn got ridge rocked by Rodgers, but became a much better QB for it with his work ethic and learning from guy. But I guess all that great stuff said by Rodgers about Flynn and everybody that worked with him means nothing. You talk of Flynn is a bum, a bum that Wilson had to barely squeak by to win a job last year. Have we forgotten already?

You tell me you know all about Matt Flynn. I tell you that you know nothing. 5 guys drop passes on him in a preseason game, and all of the sudden, you got it all figured out. Owens, I got it, I got it, I got it, whoops.

With the typical Seahawk luck, Wilson tears his knee Week One. Then what?

Yeah, Flynn didn't start over J Russel, who was drafted rather high. But Flynn started one season, won the BCS and MVP in the game. I don't know, call me crazy, but that's good.

The league is mostly full of morons who are terrible at talent evaluation. You're talking about Miami like they aren't the worst run NFL franchise? The team goes on HBO, gets nationally ridiculed, spurned by Flynn, spends the season sucking, go into this year overspending on a bunch of dreck to enter cap hell in a full run, paid Mike Wallace nearly as much as Flacco and Brady, and this is a team you chose to take a poke at Flynn? Really? Well, Miami did beat Wilson. Still, his old coach from Green Bay has lost control of that lockerroom. The Raiders are looking to give Flynn a longer deal with more guaranteed money last I heard. Much like Schneider and Carroll have done, Oakland is now run with the same philosophy or cutting the dead weight immediately and competing at every spot. Enter Flynn.

Flynn got ridge rocked by Rodgers, but became a much better QB for it with his work ethic and learning from guy. But I guess all that great stuff said by Rodgers about Flynn and everybody that worked with him means nothing. You talk of Flynn is a bum, a bum that Wilson had to barely squeak by to win a job last year. Have we forgotten already?

You tell me you know all about Matt Flynn. I tell you that you know nothing. 5 guys drop passes on him in a preseason game, and all of the sudden, you got it all figured out. Owens, I got it, I got it, I got it, whoops.

With the typical Seahawk luck, Wilson tears his knee Week One. Then what?

Yeah, Flynn didn't start over J Russel, who was drafted rather high. But Flynn started one season, won the BCS and MVP in the game. I don't know, call me crazy, but that's good.

I know all I need to know about Flynn. He was a 7th round draft pick. He looked good in spot duty (mostly against a horrible Lions team) parlayed that into a decent payday in Seattle after his old GB coach told him thanks but no thanks, and then got exposed by Russell Wilson.

I don't worry about Wilson getting hurt. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. Very few, if any, teams in the league will be saved by a backup QB if their franchise QB goes down for the year. So the question really is would I rather have a limped armed disinterested back up QB sitting on the bench making way too much money in case Wilson gets hurt, or would I rather have the cap space to be able to keep actual contributors? Hmm tough call there.

PC and Johnny Jedi have a plan. Pete even said at the end of the year that they would like a back up QB that could step in (in case Wilson got injured) and do the same things he does, which means Read Option and such. Flynn is not that guy, never was going to be that guy. Thigpen can do some of those things, you might not like him but those are his strengths. Also the Hawks are taking another QB in this draft. Count on it. Matt Scott anyone?

I know all I need to know about Flynn. He was a 7th round draft pick. He looked good in spot duty (mostly against a horrible Lions team) parlayed that into a decent payday in Seattle after his old GB coach told him thanks but no thanks, and then got exposed by Russell Wilson.

I don't worry about Wilson getting hurt. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. Very few, if any, teams in the league will be saved by a backup QB if their franchise QB goes down for the year. So the question really is would I rather have a limped armed disinterested back up QB sitting on the bench making way too much money in case Wilson gets hurt, or would I rather have the cap space to be able to keep actual contributors? Hmm tough call there.

PC and Johnny Jedi have a plan. Pete even said at the end of the year that they would like a back up QB that could step in (in case Wilson got injured) and do the same things he does, which means Read Option and such. Flynn is not that guy, never was going to be that guy. Thigpen can do some of those things, you might not like him but those are his strengths. Also the Hawks are taking another QB in this draft. Count on it. Matt Scott anyone?

Backup Qbs saving a season. Off the top of my head, Jeff Hostetler, Tom Brady, Ben Rothlisberger, Doug Williams, Kurt Warner and I'm sure there are more that actually won the SuperBowl coing off the bench, so get your head out of your ass. FACE.

Sure, Carroll and Schneider have plans. And sometimes those plans suck, so not everybody is going to lick their rusty wagon wheels clean with every move they make. Except for Russell Wilson, they've blown it with every single move they've made with QBs. Just dumb sh!t. So, we will see what this grand scheme is, which apparently you think is to bring in a read option QB because 20% of the offense is actually read option, and that pesky 80% of the regular offense where a drop back passer is the preferred choice, let's just dump that guy for peanuts. And if for some reason you decided to up the % of read option, you are risking the only QB worth a spit on your roster to injury. Dumb. Thigpen? Scott? Holy Toledo. Dumb.

Geez, which begs the question, if Flynn sucks so bad, and Carroll/Schneider have terrific plans, why on earth did they give him a 3 year contract and allow him to compete for the starting job. Now that he's gone, he "sucks". Well, that makes the front office looks pretty stupid, right?

Jumping Jehosophat.

The point was that if Wilson goes down for just 1 or 2 games that could mean the difference between winning the division and the wild card. Last time I looked the 49ers where still loaded too.

Giving up Flynn for peanuts when he could have potentially helped us lock up homefield advantage for 1 or 2 games in the playoffs is huge. Seattle is a good team on the road but we are GREAT/ELITE at home.

Besides this eliminates the "always compete" we had at the QB position by having a legit QB prospect in Flynn. I am not broken up over losing Flynn, but I could easily see a missed game by Wilson swinging our division to the 49ers (although I guess they have the same problem too). Of course if Schnider can find Wilson in the third round can we get a decent backup in the draft this year?

Since San Fran has stolen the thunder from Seattle today by acquiring Colt McCoy for a sackful of deflated footballs, this offseason has taken a sudden ugly turn.

Clearly, to run our all powerful read option...Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present....TIM TEBOW!!!!!!! :banana: