Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Super Bowl Commercials

I was speaking from the perspective of - Dodge blew $7 million on an ad spot and the entire commercial they presented had nothing to do with their product, other than flashing a truck for 1 second at the end of it, and a large portion of people who watched it will probably not remember it was a Dodge ad. That is sh1tty marketing and a waste of money. They could have done the same thing with more focus on their actual product and what they were trying to sell. Which is the point of a commercial.

But yea. Farmers are awesome and stuff. I cried, but I had no idea what I was watching so it's all good.

You just mentioned Dodge twice. Every analyst out there mentioned Dodge in their critique of the commercial since Sunday. I missed it on Sunday but was able to YouTube "Dodge Farmer" and see the commercial.

Doesn't matter what happened for 2 minutes on Sunday evening. The commercial wasn't aired in a vacuum. In our world, things that make an impression with just enough folks get passed around via social media. You don't have to remember anything explicitly from that commercial. It'll be recycled for days, and by that time anyone paying a little attention will have associated Dodge with that commercial.

Like it or hate it, that commercial was a huge success for Dodge. No way they blew 7 million on that spot.

What does a guy taking care of a horse have to do with Budwieser Beer?

What does a gang of old people getting tattoo's have to do with Taco Bell?

What does a supermodel swapping spit with a nerd have to do with GoDaddy?

What does an old man who is very interesting have to do with a Mexican Beer?

What do Polar Bears have to do with Coca-Cola?

:unsure:

My point was that their product wasn't prominent in the commercial at all. I had no idea what the commercial was for until the very end, and had I not read about it here I may have thought it was for Ford or something else. That's why I didn't think it was a good commercial.

But FeelingMN does have a good point with the existence of social media now, these things become less important. I just think a lot of people would remember the farmer commercial but not remember what product the commercial was for.

My point was that their product wasn't prominent in the commercial at all. I had no idea what the commercial was for until the very end, and had I not read about it here I may have thought it was for Ford or something else. That's why I didn't think it was a good commercial.

But FeelingMN does have a good point with the existence of social media now, these things become less important. I just think a lot of people would remember the farmer commercial but not remember what product the commercial was for.

My guess is they kept the product out until the end because you tend to shut off your emotional onnection as soon as you realize that they're just trying to sell you a truck. So by not making the product prominent they keep you invested in the emotions they are trying to foster and then slip their product in at the end.

young people today know nothing of hard work.

Not to switch gears but this is very true, even for me and my generation. We think hard work is staying late on a Tuesday night at the office to get the TPS reports done for our VP. We get off work and say "Whoo that was a tough day". :D

People go to their local Whole Foods for their organic fruits and veggies and just buy them never thinking where they came from. I bet you could ask most 10 year olds where food comes from and their answer would be "From the grocery store!"

Even today, and most of these things aren't even hard work, but most of my neighbors have somebody cut the grass for them, they run their cars through automatic car washes and if something as easy as a freaking doorbell stops working they have no freaking clue what to do. Change a tire? Fuggetaboutit.

I understand its just the times changing, its innovation, its all about computers, the internet, machines, spreadsheets, the 'Cloud', fast food and digital twitter facebook ipads. I get it; I'm down with it all.

However there is a sort of innocence lost. Where you work all day outside in the sun and/or the rain, turn around and see the fruits of your labor. A field cut a building built. Takes 10 minutes just to get all the dirt and grime out of your fingernails. Body is sore but mind/spirit was never better when it's over. Self gratification of a hard day's work. I think I'm going GFIAFP now and rambling. :) But my point is that that commercial reminded me that there still is (or can be) a little bit of that (a farmer) left in all of us. It made me stop and think about it. It made want to quit my bitching about the small stuff in life, hug my sons and make sure I remember to teach them that hard work pays off, even if not monetarily.

I'm buying a focking Dodge RAM truck dag on it!@#!

I hear you KSB. I come home from work mentally exhausted but physically I just sat on my ass all day.

So then I have to MAKE UP ways to physically exhaust myself, like running on a focking treadmill indoors for no real reason whatsoever.

Modern life is pretty focking bizarre, if you think about it.

I hear you KSB. I come home from work mentally exhausted but physically I just sat on my ass all day.

So then I have to MAKE UP ways to physically exhaust myself, like running on a focking treadmill indoors for no real reason whatsoever.

Modern life is pretty focking bizarre, if you think about it.

You lazy focks could do work around the house. Mow the lawn, build a fence, paint the house, put in a brick walkway.

I think that we have to worry about what image we are portraying to our kids. Teach them to work hard AND smart.

With that said, I still disagree with gubmint subsidies to farmers. :dunno:

In a vaccum I do too. The problem is that if we cut subsidizing farmers then there is no way in hell we still subsidize Planned Parenthood, NPR, and other crap. It's akin to the mortgage deduction in taxes. In the perfect world I'd be for getting rid of it, but no way in hell do I support getting rid of that but keeping deductions for buying some Toyota Prius or the hudreds of other crap dedutcions. See what I'm sayin'.?

In a vaccum I do too. The problem is that if we cut subsidizing farmers then there is no way in hell we still subsidize Planned Parenthood, NPR, and other crap. It's akin to the mortgage deduction in taxes. In the perfect world I'd be for getting rid of it, but no way in hell do I support getting rid of that but keeping deductions for buying some Toyota Prius or the hudreds of other crap dedutcions. See what I'm sayin'.?

Get rid of those subsidies too.

I am not for keeping the price of milk and corn artificially high to protect farmers and then have the cost of everything go up because the costs of corn and milk are too high.

You lazy focks could do work around the house. Mow the lawn, build a fence, paint the house, put in a brick walkway.

I think that we have to worry about what image we are portraying to our kids. Teach them to work hard AND smart.

I do sh!t around the house. That works if you're doing it for a good part of the day, but if you've only got an hour to get your exercise in it isn't nearly sufficient.

What does a guy taking care of a horse have to do with Budwieser Beer?

What does a gang of old people getting tattoo's have to do with Taco Bell?

What does a supermodel swapping spit with a nerd have to do with GoDaddy?

What does an old man who is very interesting have to do with a Mexican Beer?

What do Polar Bears have to do with Coca-Cola?

:unsure:

But you just named the known mascots for coke and corona. Whether or not they make sense, weve seen the most interesting man in the world associated with corona for years. Same with the coke drinking bears.

Clydesdales are also pretty well associated with anheiser busch.

The old people were eating tacos...the product being sold

Go daddy? Their commercials are crazy but over the past ten or more years we have associated big tittied women with small tops doing sexy things with go daddy

Maybe now we woll associate farmers and their plight with dodge trucks

I was speaking from the perspective of - Dodge blew $7 million on an ad spot and the entire commercial they presented had nothing to do with their product, other than flashing a truck for 1 second at the end of it, and a large portion of people who watched it will probably not remember it was a Dodge ad. That is sh1tty marketing and a waste of money. They could have done the same thing with more focus on their actual product and what they were trying to sell. Which is the point of a commercial.

But yea. Farmers are awesome and stuff. I cried, but I had no idea what I was watching so it's all good.

Yet here we are talking about it three days later, with the word "dodge" festooning the bored.

Seems pretty effective to me.

Yet here we are talking about it three days later, with the word "dodge" festooning the bored.

Seems pretty effective to me.

I'm old an out of touch with the current state of advertising. I realized after FeelingMN posted how I was thinking incorrectly and the state of marketing is so much different now than it was even 10 years ago. It is probably way more important now to create an ad that is memorable and then people go watch it on youtube, and talk about it on message boards, and go post it on FB than it is to ensure your brand is visible and relevant in the ad.

So I take back what I said earlier.

But you just named the known mascots for coke and corona. Whether or not they make sense, weve seen the most interesting man in the world associated with corona for years. Same with the coke drinking bears.

Clydesdales are also pretty well associated with anheiser busch.

The old people were eating tacos...the product being sold

Go daddy? Their commercials are crazy but over the past ten or more years we have associated big tittied women with small tops doing sexy things with go daddy

Maybe now we woll associate farmers and their plight with dodge trucks

Actually, The Most Interesting Man in the World is Dos Equis... so maybe that's not such a good example after all.

I'll take "What happens when Drobeski is on Meth for $1000, Alex"

Stupid RP -- How could Drob take Meth he would have to bend his head over to snort it -- he has no neck dumbass

Wasn't one commercial that stood out -- There was one that I thought was decent but I can't rememeber it so it must not of been that great

Wow this is very suprising to me.

I'm suprised anyone with an ounce of humanity and self worth could not like that Dodge Ram / Paul Harvey "Here's to the Farmer in all of us" commercial. The room I was in went silent the whole commercial and right after it all looked at one another and said "Damn, that was a good one".

:lol: Kumbaya

That commercial sucked.

:lol: Kumbaya

That commercial sucked.

Cut him some slack. He was watching from the old folks home and it was nap time.

Oh, wait. You're the old fock. :wall:

Cut him some slack. He was watching from the old folks home and it was nap time.

Oh, wait. You're the old fock. :wall:

Gerontophobia is a terrible thing.

Gerontophobia is a terrible thing.

Not really. You old focks are costing us too much money and I think that we should just wipe out people collecting Social Security or Medicaid. Problems solved.

Sorry, Mom & Dad. :(

That commercial sucked.

This post makes me happy and only validates my intital reaction to the Dodge commercial. If Phurfur would've endorsed it and liked that commercial I would have to of rethought my stance and questioned myself. However since Phurfer hated it, it only reinforces my stance that it was a great ad.

This give me a thought, the Geek Club needs a new moniker. GFIAFP has hit its peak with the Bunny Bastards SuperBowl spot. It's time for us to retire GFIAFP now, go out on top if you will. I submit a new one:

WWPDTO

A play on the WWJD thing What Would Jesus Do? But ours would be WWPDTO. What Would Phurfur Do Then Opposite

Because whichever way Phurfur thinks, I want to be the opposite. :doublethumbsup:

I liked the Bud Light commercials. Individually the commercials were pedestrian, but if you look closely in the first one, after the guy collects the ingredients for the voo-doo doll, you see 2 guys carrying a chair in the background. At first it made me laugh because I thought it was a strange detail for someone to add, but whatever. Then I saw the second commercial and I gained a finer appreciation for the pair.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3NlM_BijY

About 8 seconds in.

Not really. You old focks are costing us too much money and I think that we should just wipe out people collecting Social Security or Medicaid. Problems solved.

Sorry, Mom & Dad. :(

:lol: You are such an idiot, I don't know anyone on medicaid. :lol:

Medicaid is the United States health program for certain people and families with low incomes and resources.

:lol: You are such an idiot, I don't know anyone on medicaid. :lol:

Who is an idiot?

I said people on Social Security OR Medicaid. Not AND.

I want to get rid of the old AND infirmed (regardless of age).

Leon Sandcastle :doublethumbsup:

I had my throwback Prime Time jersey on, to no avail :(

This post makes me happy and only validates my intital reaction to the Dodge commercial. If Phurfur would've endorsed it and liked that commercial I would have to of rethought my stance and questioned myself. However since Phurfer hated it, it only reinforces my stance that it was a great ad.

This give me a thought, the Geek Club needs a new moniker. GFIAFP has hit its peak with the Bunny Bastards SuperBowl spot. It's time for us to retire GFIAFP now, go out on top if you will. I submit a new one:

WWPDTO

A play on the WWJD thing What Would Jesus Do? But ours would be WWPDTO. What Would Phurfur Do Then Opposite

Because whichever way Phurfur thinks, I want to be the opposite. :doublethumbsup:

I am so on board with this. After Phurfur said it was a bad commercial I for real started thinking my entire perception of the commercial was completely wrong and it was actually a great commercial.

WWPDTO for the win!!!!

Actually, The Most Interesting Man in the World is Dos Equis... so maybe that's not such a good example after all.

Haha true. But im also dumb

WWPDTO

I missed that one but since Phurfur hated it, I think I'll try and find it on youtube.

ETA - Watched it. It was so long, I don't know how I could have missed it. Maybe I left the room and read a few novels and came back. Can't remember.

It was Ok.