Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Is Marvin Harrison HOF worthy?

w/o Peyton Marvin is what? He was a great route runner with great hands and hardly got injured because he was a total baby and fell to the ground and covered up after catching the ball to avoid any hits. Famous for running out of bounds at the 1-2 rather than take a hit. Just wondering if Harrison deserves the HOF - because he played with one of the top 3 QB's ever? that's not counting the "carwash" incident...............

According to players he was a terrible teammate as well.

I'd rate him below several WRs still waiting to get in. He might be 'worthy', but it'll be a long time coming imo.

As a Colts fan, it is easy to say YES! Where instead of looking at some questionable things you said, his stats speak for themselves. Moss was only good when he had a good QB also. But he will most likely make it first round ballot? I think Marvin does deserve it, but it will take a bit. He isn't a first round.

Absolutely. If the voters start getting picky with guys like Marvin Harrison, then how many WR will ever have a chance?

Moss was only good when he had a good QB also.

Randall Cunningham at the very end of his career , Jeff George , Daunte Culpepper ------------------- yeah those guys were all world??????????? Kind of makes you think MOSS made them look good doesn't it? Moss - hell even made Cassell look good

Is at least 10 WR's I let in before MH

Randall Cunningham at the very end of his career , Jeff George , Daunte Culpepper ------------------- yeah those guys were all world??????????? Kind of makes you think MOSS made them look good doesn't it? Moss - hell even made Cassell look good

Is at least 10 WR's I let in before MH

I liked Cunningham and Culpepper. If Moss was so great, why wasn't he great in Oakland? Tennessee? 49er's???? If he was that great, he would have made all those QB's also.

Name your 10 WR's.

If Cris Carter made HOF, Harrison is in sometime.

Of course Marvelous is HOF worthy. Other than Jerry Rice and maybe Cris Carter, Harrison is the best route runner I have ever seen.

For that matter, Edgerrin James is too. Just look at his production.

Yes

It'll be interesting to see if the whole murder thing trips him up though

Sorry -- Harrison may have records because he was the only person Peyton had to throw to for many years -- but dude - the guy would catch the ball and fall down on purpose to not get hit and he would step out at the 1-2 yard line rather then take a hit an score an easy TD.

By the numbers he is HOF worthy but he is maybe the biggest pv$$y I ever seen play WR.

And his teammates say he was just a real peach of a guy too

Absolutly.

Sorry -- Harrison may have records because he was the only person Peyton had to throw to for many years -- but dude - the guy would catch the ball and fall down on purpose to not get hit and he would step out at the 1-2 yard line rather then take a hit an score an easy TD.

By the numbers he is HOF worthy but he is maybe the biggest pv$$y I ever seen play WR.

And his teammates say he was just a real peach of a guy too

I don't really know what you're referencing there. I do know that, as a Patriots fan, I positively hated seeing Manning throw his way. Sheeit I remember one game where he caught a TD pass with his back to the focking ball. Just reached back and hauled it in right along the side of the end zone. :shocking:

I'm aware he is a real ahole. Hardly matters, although the murder bit might.

Marvin is one weird dude...he might not even show at the HOF if elected

3rd all time in receptions

6th all time in rec yds

5th all time in rec TDs

I'd say yes.

This :pointstosky:

not even a discussion.. he's in!

I don't really know what you're referencing there. I do know that, as a Patriots fan, I positively hated seeing Manning throw his way. Sheeit I remember one game where he caught a TD pass with his back to the focking ball. Just reached back and hauled it in right along the side of the end zone. :shocking:

I'm aware he is a real ahole. Hardly matters, although the murder bit might.

Stats gets him in

Doesn't change he was the gheyest wideout I ever saw play. Sorry but for a WR to just fall down if there was anyone near him on D or step out at the 1-2 rather than take a bump but an easy score.

Numbers wise I agree -- he had great hands and ran great routes.

Sorry I just don't like the guy -- he had the fans thinking he was this Barry Sanders clone - just tossing the ball to the ref. When just about everyone in the locker room couldn't stand him - no wonder he sat alone.

6th all time in rec yds

5th all time in rec TDs

I'd say yes.

Hes first ballot without question, one of the best wr ever. Very quiet and not ouspoken (besides that time he shot some dude or something at his nightclub.) wich is why naysayers may not remember or consider him.

bonus knowledge drop: Reggie wayne already has HOF numbers and is still adding to those stats.

did peyton make them? Yes, but you are what you are and you did what you did.

Hes first ballot without question, one of the best wr ever. Very quiet and not ouspoken (besides that time he shot some dude or something at his nightclub.) wich is why naysayers may not remember or consider him.

bonus knowledge drop: Reggie wayne already has HOF numbers and is still adding to those stats.

did peyton make them? Yes, but you are what you are and you did what you did.

So there really is nothing to be said about playing like a coward? How many HOF WR's fell down everytime accross the middle to avoid contact or stepped out at the 1 in order to not take a bump.

6th all time in rec yds

5th all time in rec TDs

I'd say yes.

pretty telling, right?

kinda surprised to read that more than a few of the guys in here are lukewarm, at best, on marvin.

in any context, passing era or not, marvin's numbers are top notch.

there is enough merit in that to be a 1st/2nd ballot guy, imo.

what do i know, im a chris carter guy, too.

From 2000 on, WRs that should get in as of now:

- Randy Moss

- Terrell Owens

- Marvin Harrison

That's it. They were the elite. Clearly above the rest. First ballot. Anyone else is questionable at best.

From 2000 on, WRs that should get in as of now:

- Randy Moss

- Terrell Owens

- Marvin Harrison

That's it. They were the elite. Clearly above the rest. First ballot. Anyone else is questionable at best.

I know it's early, but Calvin Johnson?

Larry Fitzgerald ain't done yet, but I'd say he's up there.

I know it's early, but Calvin Johnson?

Larry Fitzgerald ain't done yet, but I'd say he's up there.

Those two are forecast to join the above group. But they wouldn't if they suffered a career ending injury next week, so can't say they are in yet.

I truly think that if Fitz had been lucky enough to play with a Brady his whole career, he would put up top 5 all time numbers. Most skilled WR since Rice in my opinion. Whereas Megatron is the freakiest athlete along with Randy Moss I've seen at the position.

Nobody else is tracking that direction IMO though.

Stats gets him in

Doesn't change he was the gheyest wideout I ever saw play. Sorry but for a WR to just fall down if there was anyone near him on D or step out at the 1-2 rather than take a bump but an easy score.

Numbers wise I agree -- he had great hands and ran great routes.

Sorry I just don't like the guy -- he had the fans thinking he was this Barry Sanders clone - just tossing the ball to the ref. When just about everyone in the locker room couldn't stand him - no wonder he sat alone.

You said above there are "at least 10" WR's currently waiting you would vote for over Harrison. Who are they? I'm curious. Second, you have said 3 times in this thread he would step out of bounds at the 1 or 2 consistently instead of "taking it in for the easy score". Can you post some youtube links or something to back this up? I have watched a ton of Colts games as Harrison was a WR I targeted most years in fantasy football. I can only recall one time he went out of bounds when he may have scored and that was because Peyton threw the ball towards the sidelines and Harrison caught it and couldn't slow himself down enough to change his direction. I'm not a huge Harrison fan, but from what I've watched, this doesn't ring true at all. He was injured multiple times in his early career for going over the middle and making some spectacular catches. I would put Moss ahead of him for the HOF, but not TO. Harrison had great hands, played ran over the middle, outside of his shoulder issue in his first or second year, he was as reliable as they come. His stats are incredible and he played to win. You make him out to be a big baby that ran out of bounds to avoid hits. Maybe we watched different guys named Marvin Harrison.... The guy I watched for years played with a lot of heart, even if he was an a-hole. Again, I'm not a fan, but you can't support the claim that "at least" ten other people deserve to be in the hall over him and I would love to see all these "easy" TD's he could have scored but apparently just decided to walk out of bounds instead.

Reggie Wayne?

Nope. His stats are solid, but I never considered him one of the very elite NFL receivers. in some ways, it felt like he was just a Pro Bowl level WR that benefited from being on the other side of Harrison in the prime Peyton manning offense. I kind of feel similarly about Bruce and Holt.

Nope. His stats are solid, but I never considered him one of the very elite NFL receivers. in some ways, it felt like he was just a Pro Bowl level WR that benefited from being on the other side of Harrison in the prime Peyton manning offense. I kind of feel similarly about Bruce and Holt.

Disagree on Bruce.

What about Roddy White?

Disagree on Bruce.

What about Roddy White?

I've just never thought of him in any discussion of best of this era. All Pro maybe, but not transcendent.

Ask me who the best of the past 15 years are and I'll say Moss, TO, and Marvin. Ask me who the best WR in the NFL is now and I'll say Megatron and Fitz if he had a QB. Then there is a big dropoff.