Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Julio Jones or Brandon Marshall?

These two studs are going in the same round every draft Ive done and it makes me wonder. If you had a choice between the two who do you feel would be the best pick?

I had the choice between the two in my 12-team PPR keeper league in the #12 spot. I already had AJ Green & Jamaal Charles as my two keepers but Charles was my 2nd rounder. Drafting last I had only my 1st rounder and these two fell to me. Owning both last year, Marshall was WAY more consistent but I still went with Julio. Two things swayed my decision.

1. Marshall had an insane number of targets last season which correlated to his high reception total. With the development of Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte healthy & the addition of Martellus Bennett, I feel Marshall's #'s take a dip in 2013.

2. Julio is in the magical 3rd year for a WR which we all know & love. Roddy already banged up & Gonzalez another year older, I feel Julio has a much higher ceiling. Not to mention he plays indoors at home so there's that.

A case can be made easily for either player but I went for Julio.

Love Julio but Marshall is a target monster in Chicago...or at least he was last year.

I see Jones getting more looks from Ryan this year but not as many as Marshall from Cutler.

Marshall. He's the clear cut #1 WR & will get the lion's share.

Funny how Green mentioned all Chicago's weapons but didn't bring up the same for Atlanta. And don't forget that Atlanta signed a RB that can also catch better than what they had.

Compare the fire power:

Roddy/Julio/Gonzo/SJax/Jizz

vs

Marshall/Alshon/Bennett/Forte/Bush

But you think Marshall has more to contend with as far as ball distribution?

He-LL no.

Marshall. He's the clear cut #1 WR & will get the lion's share.

Funny how Green mentioned all Chicago's weapons but didn't bring up the same for Atlanta. And don't forget that Atlanta signed a RB that can also catch better than what they had.

Compare the fire power:

Roddy/Julio/Gonzo/SJax/Jizz

vs

Marshall/Alshon/Bennett/Forte/Bush

But you think Marshall has more to contend with as far as ball distribution?

He-LL no.

I agree with this for the most part, but you also have to consider who's chucking the ball and which offense is going to score more points.

I'd take Marshall in PPR and flip a coin in standard.

4th pick in a 12 teamer, I'de be very happy with either on the way back in the second.

They are different players obviously but, I think the end result is about the same between them.

I think it all depends on the person. Marshall will probably be more consistent. While Jones will have bigger games. I think Jones is the homerun hitter youll be paying for while Marshall will be your set it and forget it guy

Have you ever seen the other receivers in Chicago?

No?

Neither has Jay Cutler. He has tunnel vision with Marshall. You will get better week to week production out of Marshall.

Julio is fantastic, but a lot of weapons means he won't be quite as consistant.

I think it is an easy choice, Marshall. Marshall is a safe pick and consistent. Julio is a freak, but Roddy will keep him inconsistent.

I agree with this for the most part, but you also have to consider who's chucking the ball and which offense is going to score more points.

I'd take Marshall in PPR and flip a coin in standard.

This. Julio is a big play waiting to happen, Marshall gets 72394 targets.

Also Julio has hamstring problems again... this is beginning to seem chronic.

This. Julio is a big play waiting to happen, Marshall gets 72394 targets.

Also Julio has hamstring problems again... this is beginning to seem chronic.

Crazy thing is....you're not exaggerating!!

Julio.

Marshall will not repeat last years performance as far as targets and catches. It's unsustainable and not good for the Bears offense.

Julio will only continue to get better and take more targets from Roddy.

I want the guy on the upswing.

By all accounts the bears will throw even more this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall equals or even surpasses his targets from last year. That said, who cares? In all likely hood they will both be in the top 5 and I'd be happy with either.

PPR Marshall for sure, standard I'd take either!

Julio.

Marshall will not repeat last years performance as far as targets and catches. It's unsustainable and not good for the Bears offense.

:thumbsup:

And I'm a Bears fan.

Marshall, Marshall, Marshall.

Marshall because he is more consistent and especially in PPR because he gets more catches.

In each stop around the NFL, the best WR numbers for the year were put up by his top WR. I looked this up about a month ago and I posted something about it here. He's had various WR's in his career, yet they've all finished as the top WR in fantasy football. Marshall will still get his targets, only now he won't be triple covered. I have Marshall as my #2 WR, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if he gives Calvin a run for the top spot this year.

Maybe Marshall would be the smarter choice. However, I love to see electric players play. Hence why I will be targeting Spiller over pretty much anyone not named Adrian Peterson. So if it came down to it I think I would choose Julio because for the fact that he may not give me a consistent number like Marshall will every week he will score way more than Marshall on plenty of occasions. I think Julio alone can easily win you plenty of games.

Julio.

I was afraid I would read the entire thread without this at least being mentioned.

Trestman is going to make the offense a lot less one dimensional this year. Marshall had 192 targets last year (good for 3rd most) yet CHI ranked 27th in pass attempts, which really puts things into persepctive. The passing attemepts will increase, but Trestman is creative, he will spread the ball out more. What you saw out of Marshall last year is his absolute ceiling IMO (career high receptions/yard/TDs) as the situation for him was great (not so great for the offense) He's being drafted predicated on those numbers, and I just don't see him quite reaching them again this year as I expect the sheer volume of targets to decrease. I'm not exactly saying I wouldn't take him over Julio, but I think it's very close to being a wash.

I think it all depends on the person. Marshall will probably be more consistent. While Jones will have bigger games. I think Jones is the homerun hitter youll be paying for while Marshall will be your set it and forget it guy

this. end of story

I had the same choice to make, went with Marshall. The concensus from my League members was that I made the right choice, we shall see. I think they both have monster seasons.

Julio.

A general rule of thumb is do the opposite of whatever Worms tells you. HTH

:cheers:

Brandon Marshall has been a monster in targets and catches every time Jay Cutler has been his QB:

2007: 170 targets, 102 catches, 1325 yards, 7 TD's

2008: 182 targets, 104 catches, 1265 yards, 6 TD's

2012: 192 targets, 118 catches, 1508 yards, 11 TD's

I have a hard time believing that Jay Cutler is suddenly going to start targeting him less regardless of the offensively philosophy. Other than Megatron, I think Marshall is biggest lock to catch 100 balls. Even at at modest 12+ yards per catch, that's 1200-1300 yards minimum.

Julio Jones can likely put up similar yards and TD's as Marshall, but I have a hard time believing he gets more than 80 catches or so with Roddy and Tony G still around. This makes Marshall the much more consistent, safer pick in my opinion, and clearly better in PPR leagues.

Give me the heavy hitter Julio for the upside. I would also rather watch Falcons games every Sunday with that exciting offence than the Bears. The time investment into the games sways me to Julio!

The Rook

Well I had the option between Julio, Marshall, and dez during the 3rd round. Ended up drafting Dez since I think he will probably be the #2 wr this year fighting Calvin Johnson for the #1 spot. The cowboys are saying that they want to run the ball more but from what demarco Murray has showed they will have to start passing more if they want to score. Tanner looked better tonight than he did. But Dez looked awesome and I can see him already being a TD monster this year