Sign in to follow this  
ShooterMcGavin

Is anyone starting Ben Tate week one?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this are, specifically for my I wonder if he's gonna get enough carries to start over Lacy the first week.

Any Houston homers have insight?

I'm currently flexing him over Givens non PPR.

I think he's a flex play at least week 1 until Foster proves his health and workload.

Maybe longer too.

Im usually against the Tate fan club who insists their strictly backup RB is some kind of timeshare dynamo, but week 1 is a decent play since they said they will ease Arian into playtime. they said the same thing about AP last year right? Didnt he have a great game in wk 1 also?

Id hesitate to start him over Lacy but there are worse moves, packers do play at SF after all.

Im usually against the Tate fan club who insists their strictly backup RB is some kind of timeshare dynamo, but week 1 is a decent play since they said they will ease Arian into playtime. they said the same thing about AP last year right? Didnt he have a great game in wk 1 also?

Id hesitate to start him over Lacy but there are worse moves, packers do play at SF after all.

no offense but did you forget 2011 when "their strictly backup RB" had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage?

no offense but did you forget 2011 when "their strictly backup RB" had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage?

I'm thinking he could have a big game against San Diego if the Texans get up early. But Lacy could poke in a couple of easy TDs.

A fair point of reference and people are gonna hang on that year forever, but Arian was beat up most of that year and Tate had tons of opportunities. Tate is a fine handcuff, and if they ease Arian into the year he could have some good games, but barring injury to Arian id never start tate.

I am debating on him in my flex vs Decker

RaiderHater for some reason im cracking up laughing at the spelling of the LBs in ur sig! Im not making fun of the misspelling, but the sound of the names when I say them out loud seriously has me in stitches over here!

I'm keeping him on my bench until I can trust the timeshare more than I do now. I'm also high on Lacy this year. However, Lacy has a HORRIBLE matchup, Tate has a great one and if the timeshare pans out this will be the week to take advantage. I'd probably still go with Lacy.

• Like 1

A fair point of reference and people are gonna hang on that year forever, but Arian was beat up most of that year and Tate had tons of opportunities. Tate is a fine handcuff, and if they ease Arian into the year he could have some good games, but barring injury to Arian id never start tate.

to be fair it was 2 seasons ago. 5 years from now i don't think people will be hanging on it forever.

you also say that Foster was beat up most of that year and Tate had tons of opportunities. Couldn't that be true again this year? Isn't Foster coming into the season a bit banged up? He didn't play in the preseason and was only recently taken off PUP. If they ease him in and/or his aches and pauins continue, I think it's fair to assume Tate will get opportunities.

I'm thinking he could have a big game against San Diego if the Texans get up early. But Lacy could poke in a couple of easy TDs.

Lacy could poke in a couple of easy TDs? Vs the Niners defense? In San Francisco? No. Anyone could get lucky are score a couple TDs on any given day but where is this prediction coming from?

Have a Week One matchup with the Foster owner. Starting Tate in the flex spot. Normally not a big believer in "cancel out," but in this situation it just might be worth a shot. If Houston goes off and puts up a ton of points, I figure a rising tide lifts all boats - including Tate's.

Lacy could poke in a couple of easy TDs? Vs the Niners defense? In San Francisco? No. Anyone could get lucky are score a couple TDs on any given day but where is this prediction coming from?

One does not simply poke in tds vs the niners.

Not sure how much you're expecting out of Tate to be starting him in a flex. You'd have to be counting on at least 12 carries for it to be worthwhile. If you have him in a dynasty or 14+ team league, then yeah, I could see this as being one of the better weeks to start him, but I'd expect that everyone in a 12-team league would have a more stable plan for week 1. The exception could be if you're the one who drafted Gronkowski in the 4th-6th round and are thus a little thin elsewhere.

Not sure how much you're expecting out of Tate to be starting him in a flex. You'd have to be counting on at least 12 carries for it to be worthwhile. If you have him in a dynasty or 14+ team league, then yeah, I could see this as being one of the better weeks to start him, but I'd expect that everyone in a 12-team league would have a more stable plan for week 1. The exception could be if you're the one who drafted Gronkowski in the 4th-6th round and are thus a little thin elsewhere.

Yeah my thought process as I've put before is that they might ride Tate if up early against the Chargers.

But more specifically, would you start Tate or Lacy in a PPR league.

This is how I feel, it just seems people draft this guy as if hes a viable starter. I see him as a 6 carry a game guy honestly, hooray for you if he busts a long td. I personally Never start anything less than an RB2 in the flex spot unless its the bye weeks.

Yeah my thought process as I've put before is that they might ride Tate if up early against the Chargers.

But more specifically, would you start Tate or Lacy in a PPR league.

That's kinda what I'm talking about. I don't see any way you start Tate over Lacy, who's got a very clear path to being a true workhorse in GB with Harris on IR and Green now released. Yeah, I know San Francisco is tough, but the matchup isn't so much worse that you'd pick a guy who's likely to accumulate no more than 12-15 touches (with < 10 touches downside) over a guy who is very likely for 20 and any goal-line work.

• Like 1

That's kinda what I'm talking about. I don't see any way you start Tate over Lacy, who's got a very clear path to being a true workhorse in GB with Harris on IR and Green now released. Yeah, I know San Francisco is tough, but the matchup isn't so much worse that you'd pick a guy who's likely to accumulate no more than 12-15 touches (with < 10 touches downside) over a guy who is very likely for 20 and any goal-line work.

I see your point, good post.

Foster is going to get 25 carries. And announce his presence with authority. Just like every season.

Foster is going to get 25 carries. And announce his presence with authority. Just like every season.

And with the game being Monday night it's going to be risky counting on Tate.

You guys are much more down on him than I was imagining. I have him in a 14 team league as my RB 3. I'm not thrilled with it but I could easily see him getting 15+ touches as they ease Foster in, in a nice matchup.

Would you guys advise me on starting Givens over him? non ppr

You guys are much more down on him than I was imagining. I have him in a 14 team league as my RB 3. I'm not thrilled with it but I could easily see him getting 15+ touches as they ease Foster in, in a nice matchup.

Like I said above, yeah, it's a bit different in bigger league. I really don't believe in the 15+ touches thing, but Givens in non-PPR is certainly more of a toss-up than Eddie Lacy in PPR.

Seeing is believing. Until I see some sort of workload decrease I'd go with Givens. Week one Tate is risky.

Seeing is believing. Until I see some sort of workload decrease I'd go with Givens. Week one Tate is risky.

I hear that...

I mean Givens himself isn't exactly a known commodity either. Last we saw him in action he put up 139 yards and no tds over the final month of the season.

Tate at least has a 1,000 yard rushing season(942) under his belt, has taken all the practice-preseason reps, ect.

I could be totally wrong but I think he could equal Foster's touches week 1. Especially if Houston pulls ahead in the 2nd half...I can't see them rushing Foster back when they have this guy.

Again who knows but my just my current read.

i am in the same boat - i have to start either lacy or tate in a ppr (except this isn't my flex spot, it's my RB2 spot lol).

i am unsure how much GB will use Lacy in passing situations right now, so i'm very hesitant to start him against the niners.

Tate, on the other hand, figures to get 10 or more carries in this game. maybe a few catches too? The way i see it, the texans will run the ball close to 30 times because you have to assume they will be up for a good portion of the game. Foster can't possibly get 25 of those right off the bat, can he?

idk ... this will probably be a game time decision. i don't wanna start the season off being too cute though so i might just roll with Lacy.

• Like 1

i am in the same boat - i have to start either lacy or tate in a ppr (except this isn't my flex spot, it's my RB2 spot lol).

i am unsure how much GB will use Lacy in passing situations right now, so i'm very hesitant to start him against the niners.

Tate, on the other hand, figures to get 10 or more carries in this game. maybe a few catches too? The way i see it, the texans will run the ball close to 30 times because you have to assume they will be up for a good portion of the game. Foster can't possibly get 25 of those right off the bat, can he?

idk ... this will probably be a game time decision. i don't wanna start the season off being too cute though so i might just roll with Lacy.

Like the guy stated before I'll probably go with Lacy because Tate plays monday night. But watching Tate go off monday is gonna eat me up inside haha.

Debating starting Tate over VJax this week. Crazy?

I don't think it's crazy. VJax was the first receiver I drafted in my non ppr big money league. We only start 2 receivers so I am not even starting him this week. Going with Hilton and Garcon instead.

Right now I'm starting James Jones over Tate as my flex, but I am very tempted to change that. I drafted Tate mainly in te hopes that Foster years a jammy or just isn't effective and Hpuston opts for a true RBBC. He's bench depth for now but I see him getting 15+ carries against SD after they roll the Chargers in the first half.

Nope. Drafted him as the best available RB at the time. 5th RB drafted behind Martin, MJD, Wilson and D Richardson. He's only coming off the bench for byes or if Foster misses a game or games with injury.

Does this change anything? I like the "majority load" part...does that mean Tate gets majority?

http://ropo.football.cbssports.com/players/playerpage/1113529

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com

(04:04 pm ET) Some coaches might worry about taking it easy on a featured back because of a potential significant dropoff in production. Gary Kubiak need not be one of those coaches.

After extolling the conditioning and work ethic of top back Arian Foster, he told ESPN that he plans on giving him much more rest and Ben Tate more reps Monday night in San Diego. Foster missed the preseason for the Texans with calf and back injuries.

"I think we're smart in playing them both," Kubiak said. "Obviously, we'll see how Arian holds up from that standpoint. I don't think we're looking at the majority load that we normally look at when he's rolling."

Kubiak has indicated that he plans on easing the load all season on Foster, who racked up 405 carries in 2012 despite a per-rush average of 4.1 that paled in comparison to Tate's 5.7.

Right now I'm starting James Jones over Tate as my flex, but I am very tempted to change that. I drafted Tate mainly in te hopes that Foster years a jammy or just isn't effective and Hpuston opts for a true RBBC. He's bench depth for now but I see him getting 15+ carries against SD after they roll the Chargers in the first half.

Is that a career ending injury we have never heard of?

Very true. Even though he hasn't given me much the past two years, I took Tate again in two leagues; RB3 in a 14 teamer and as a RB5 in a 10 (yeah, I know, can't respect the ten team league, sorry). But to start him Monday when lacy or someone with a more predictable workload is available is lunacy.

That moron who does the start/sit article for CBS sportsline recommends Tate over Lamar Miller this week. Right.

Foster practiced in full all week. Unless this thing turns into a 3 TD blowout, I still have to think he'll be the 18-20 carry guy with a 75-80% chance at a TD, while Tate maxes out as the 10-12 carry guy with a 25ish% chance at a TD.