Sign in to follow this  
TheGiantJets

Trent Richardson - Sell High?

T-Rich had a very good rookie year but many worried about his low ypc. With two weeks into 2013 with very mediocre performances and a trade to the Colts that brings a lot of attention and buzz. Is it time to sell high? Which RB could you get for T-Rich right now?

spiller

i say sell high. can he even know the playbook? and be effective as if he was originally drafted by the colts? and spent a year with them?

Wondering the same. Cleveland sure gave up on him pretty quickly. On a week where they're prepared to start Hoyer at QB, they can't find a reason to continue to carry their franchise draft pick?

He better be able to pass block, because that's not a disposable like Brandon Weeden back there. If e's not on top of things and gets Luck hit, he won't get much run in Indy either.

Guess his tells us all we need to know about Bradshaw's recovery and what the Colts think of him.

Wondering the same. Cleveland sure gave up on him pretty quickly. On a week where they're prepared to start Hoyer at QB, they can't find a reason to continue to carry their franchise draft pick?

Teddy Bridgewater Sweepstakes?

spiller

i say sell high. can he even know the playbook? and be effective as if he was originally drafted by the colts? and spent a year with them?

This is a good call. Spiller does have a great schedule, only thing is RBBC and possible injury but it's a great gamble. Also ADP wise you'd be making a leap from T-Rich to Spiller.

In a Dynasty league, I just offered R. Rice and R. Randle for T-Rich and G. Little to the owner of B.Pierce...good or bad idea?

I won my league last year, but thinking Rice is on his last legs and maybe getting some youth in Richardson would be a good idea, hate to give up Rice though!

spiller

What's to learn? Grab the ball and run, don't drop it, end of learning. But he's prob not a lock for many Carrys this sun right? Essentially screwing owners but once he's in a groove could have a monster 2nd half.

There is more to it than this.

I suspect hes a cancer in the dressing room or something. teams dont just give up on a #1 overall draft pick that quick unless there is something else going on.

we may not find out for a while and we may never know why this trade was done.

He is not a "dressing room" cancer. The Browns are blatantly tanking to win the Bridgewater sweepstakes. Obvious move is obvious man.

• Like 1

He is not a "dressing room" cancer. The Browns are blatantly tanking to win the Bridgewater sweepstakes. Obvious move is obvious man.

Exactly, unless your running back is AP, the difference in value of a franchise QB over an elite RB(which trich isn't yet) is immense.

There is more to it than this.

I suspect hes a cancer in the dressing room or something. teams dont just give up on a #1 overall draft pick that quick unless there is something else going on.

we may not find out for a while and we may never know why this trade was done.

Why is everyone trying to find some hidden meaning? They have a new GM who didn't draft Richardson.

"The Colts didn't give up a first-round pick to use Richardson as a complementary piece in their offense. He's going to get a ton of work even if Ahmad Bradshaw plays on most third downs."

Now that's an issue if you ask me.

Don't know that "cancer" is the word, but there have been plenty of quotes out of Cleveland that indicate he maybe wasn't putting in the work required to succeed at a high level.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000246887/article/why-the-browns-trent-richardson-trade-makes-sense

That story also addresses that the new regime didn't draft him in the first place, and I wouldn't doubt the "Bridgewater Sweepstakes" notion. But I don't think you can summarily dismiss attitude of a young guy who has known nothing but success and stardom and is struggling to succeed at the next level.

I had a similar feeling to this... when is Richardson going to see the bulk of the carries? 1 week... 2 weeks... until their Bye week in week 8... i don't know if Richardson owners can wait this long...

on another note, Richardson's buzz can't get any louder than it is right now... people calling him a top 3 RB the rest of the way... guaranteed top 5 draft pick next year... i'm not so sure...

the spiller idea intrigues me... i also wonder if you could package him for a lynch or morris+some change type deal...

I don't feel like they're tanking for Bridgewater. He's projected No. 1 but he doesn't have the hype of like an Andrew Luck or Calvin Johnson or Ricky Williams. The argument could be made for Clowney to be taken No. 1 instead of Bridgewater.

I don't feel like they're tanking for Bridgewater. He's projected No. 1 but he doesn't have the hype of like an Andrew Luck or Calvin Johnson or Ricky Williams. The argument could be made for Clowney to be taken No. 1 instead of Bridgewater.

No it couldn't, if your team needs a franchise qb then they have no option but to take teddy bridgewater

I just sent a trade offer:

I give:

DeAngelo Williams and Dwayne Bowe

I get:

Trent Richardson and Denarius Moore

See what happens.

"The Colts didn't give up a first-round pick to use Richardson as a complementary piece in their offense. He's going to get a ton of work even if Ahmad Bradshaw plays on most third downs."

Now that's an issue if you ask me.

That's just rotoworld's opinion. Why not provide Grigson's quote too?

"I watched every game [Richardson] played for Cleveland," Grigson said. "Believe me, I know the numbers -- 3.5 yards a carry, long [run] of 32 -- but I also know in this business you can go by the norm, and you can go by the eye test. What do your eyes tell you? They tell me he's special. He's a 4.48-second 40 guy who defenders don't want to tackle. I loved this kid coming out. He's only 23 years old, and I still think he's a great back." The Colts didn't give up a first-round pick to use Richardson as a complementary piece in their offense. He's going to get a ton of work even if Ahmad Bradshaw plays on most third downs.

Obviously Bradshaw will have a role on the team. But Trent is gonna get a lot of run in that offense. He'll get every opportunity to succeed.

I just sent a trade offer:

I give:

DeAngelo Williams and Dwayne Bowe

I get:

Trent Richardson and Denarius Moore

See what happens.

I'll bet the other team does not accept that offer, although they probably should.

I'll bet the other team does not accept that offer, although they probably should.

Am I giving up too much? It's technically TRich for Bowe.

DeAngelo is a steady 80 yards no td back. Bowe is either 2 catches 30 yards or 5 catches 80 yards and a td. I've owned Bowe in the past, very inconsistent.

DeAngelo is a steady 80 yards no td back. Bowe is either 2 catches 30 yards or 5 catches 80 yards and a td. I've owned Bowe in the past, very inconsistent.

If I got that trade offer for T-Rich and there was a "block trade offers from this owner" option, I'd utilize that option and never see one of your trade offers again. I wish that option existed, it would save a ton of time.

What exactly are you giving up? An RB3 and WR3 for an RB1 and WR3? This site goes on and on about how RB1s are so scarce and are valued higher than everything else in fantasy, then you guys turn around and offer the most ridiculous trade offers for those RB1s.

If I actually wanted TRich I'd expect to have to give up at least an RB2 and maybe a high end WR2, and even then I wouldn't expect it to get done.

Why is everyone trying to find some hidden meaning? They have a new GM who didn't draft Richardson.

Look, all I am saying, is trading a #1 overall pick who still appears to have lots of upside is the kind of move that can get a GM fired. Especially if said player blows up and turns into a super stud after you trade him away. so even if the new GM didnt draft this kid, it's still a risky move to make.

a move like this does not get made over the course of a day or likely even over a week.

I'm saying there has to really be a reason why you would dump a guy like this. Whether it's dressing room issues, feud with the coach, refusal to block or many other things I cant say.

I suppose it is possible that they think one of the other RB's they got can get it done and maybe McGahee was signed to be a backup.

I dont see it, but then again, I wasnt paying much attention to Cleveland Players because the players worth owning were kept in all of my keeper leagues and it never even occurred to me that Richardson wouldnt be the man there.

I dont know what else to say, but I still stand by my belief that they didnt just trade him away for the sake of trading him away. This doesnt happen with #1 overall picks unless they have already proven to be a bust. This is not the case here, so I think there must be more to it than this.

It's a legit trade IMO, but as we have seen here, TRich is overvalued. The pragmatist in me says that you are better off with Bowe and DeAngelo. I have no idea what Moore is to Oakland, but it is not a WR1 or 2. Pryor is at least a year away (and maybe never) from turning any wannabe WR into a stud.

If I got that trade offer for T-Rich and there was a "block trade offers from this owner" option, I'd utilize that option and never see one of your trade offers again. I wish that option existed, it would save a ton of time.

What exactly are you giving up? An RB3 and WR3 for an RB1 and WR3? This site goes on and on about how RB1s are so scarce and are valued higher than everything else in fantasy, then you guys turn around and offer the most ridiculous trade offers for those RB1s.

If I actually wanted TRich I'd expect to have to give up at least an RB2 and maybe a high end WR2, and even then I wouldn't expect it to get done.

Yeah, I'm not as high on TRich as many but even I would reject that trade in a millisecond.

The Richardson owner in this part of the Fantasy planet discovered that:

• Folks were interested in Richardson and willing to talk, but nobody had the kind of new-found love for the guy he expected. .
  • While he was thinking "sell high," everyone else was thinking more along the lines of "buy low." Or, more accurately, "prison rape."
  • No, I wasn't giving Peterson or McCoy straight up. And no, he wasn't taking Moreno.
  • His sales pitch for Richardson was so convincing, he convinced himself to keep the guy.

The only way he was going to move Richardson, he discovered, was through a potentially roster-wrecking multi-player deal where Richardson was the dessert rather than the main course. And that main course was A.J. Green. Confronted with my offer of McCoy + Random Warm Body for Green + Richardson, which I believe was probably and arguably the best deal thrown his way, he figured Richardson might be his guy after all. Not that a deal can't be done for Richardson. But from this limited perspective, he's not the hot commodity his owners initially figured he would be.

Look, all I am saying, is trading a #1 overall pick who still appears to have lots of upside is the kind of move that can get a GM fired. Especially if said player blows up and turns into a super stud after you trade him away. so even if the new GM didnt draft this kid, it's still a risky move to make.

a move like this does not get made over the course of a day or likely even over a week.

I'm saying there has to really be a reason why you would dump a guy like this. Whether it's dressing room issues, feud with the coach, refusal to block or many other things I cant say.

I suppose it is possible that they think one of the other RB's they got can get it done and maybe McGahee was signed to be a backup.

I dont see it, but then again, I wasnt paying much attention to Cleveland Players because the players worth owning were kept in all of my keeper leagues and it never even occurred to me that Richardson wouldnt be the man there.

I dont know what else to say, but I still stand by my belief that they didnt just trade him away for the sake of trading him away. This doesnt happen with #1 overall picks unless they have already proven to be a bust. This is not the case here, so I think there must be more to it than this.

Actually, they said colts called Wednesday and deal was done Thursday. That is all we have to go by. Maybe there is more to it, but that is just pure speculation.

The Richardson owner in this part of the Fantasy planet discovered that:

• Folks were interested in Richardson and willing to talk, but nobody had the kind of new-found love for the guy he expected. .
  • While he was thinking "sell high," everyone else was thinking more along the lines of "buy low." Or, more accurately, "prison rape."
  • No, I wasn't giving Peterson or McCoy straight up. And no, he wasn't taking Moreno.
  • His sales pitch for Richardson was so convincing, he convinced himself to keep the guy.

The only way he was going to move Richardson, he discovered, was through a potentially roster-wrecking multi-player deal where Richardson was the dessert rather than the main course. And that main course was A.J. Green. Confronted with my offer of McCoy + Random Warm Body for Green + Richardson, which I believe was probably and arguably the best deal thrown his way, he figured Richardson might be his guy after all. Not that a deal can't be done for Richardson. But from this limited perspective, he's not the hot commodity his owners initially figured he would be.

Even if Trent blows up the trade offers will still be the same. The average fantasy player doesn't want to give real offers, they want to be sure they're ripping the other person off, hence why the average player can never get a trade done.

I tried to shop AP, everyone's consensus #1 pick, and all I got were garbage offers like Dalton and Miller, or MJD and Denarius Moore. People are either convinced their players are the best or that the other person is very stupid, no matter how good a team the person has or how good their record is.

That's why I don't bother trying to "sell high" or "buy low." The only way these trade offers can go through is if the consensus is wrong, and nobody vetoes it. Something like Arian Foster for Frank Gore the first year Foster blew up and Gore was considered a top guy.

Even if Trent blows up the trade offers will still be the same. The average fantasy player doesn't want to give real offers, they want to be sure they're ripping the other person off, hence why the average player can never get a trade done.

I tried to shop AP, everyone's consensus #1 pick, and all I got were garbage offers like Dalton and Miller, or MJD and Denarius Moore. People are either convinced their players are the best or that the other person is very stupid, no matter how good a team the person has or how good their record is.

That's why I don't bother trying to "sell high" or "buy low." The only way these trade offers can go through is if the consensus is wrong, and nobody vetoes it. Something like Arian Foster for Frank Gore the first year Foster blew up and Gore was considered a top guy.

agree... I've been shopping him around, and either I have him overvalued, they are trying to rip me off, or they are also concerned with how long it takes him to get going...

I tried to trade Trich and Vincent Jackson for Julio Jones and Stevan Ridley... I thought it was relatively fair. When the owner turned it down I wasn't upset because I figured... meh... it's about a 50/50 offer.

I was shocked when the owner countered with Ridley and Sidney Rice for TRich and VJax... WTF??? does he think i'm stupid??? Does he value Ridley that much over TRich?

you're looking at it as if every season is played in a vacuum, and next year is all new. It's not. It's a continuum. They're looking at the long terms, and they want a top pick next year for their QB, so they're 'tanking.' Further to that, there are always other factors. Maybe he was butting heads with mgmt, etc. It's not always about how good or bad a player is on the field. So your logic is a bit flawed in thinking they traded him because he's going to be a bust...

you're looking at it as if every season is played in a vacuum, and next year is all new. It's not. It's a continuum. They're looking at the long terms, and they want a top pick next year for their QB, so they're 'tanking.' Further to that, there are always other factors. Maybe he was butting heads with mgmt, etc. It's not always about how good or bad a player is on the field. So your logic is a bit flawed in thinking they traded him because he's going to be a bust...

It's hard to believe he was butting heads. He's been nothing but complimentary to the franchise, going out of his way to reassure the fans that the management know what they're doing. Does that really sound like a guy that but heads? I haven't heard them say one negative thing about him either, and the Colts love him already.

The Browns traded him because they think he's just not that good. Not because he was a cancer or anything. The Colts got him because they think he IS that good or better.

that sell high buy low nonsense is just fantasy nerds getting a hard on over inane banter on message boards and such. Unless you play with absolute idiots, which I'm sure many do, you're never gonna buy too low or sell too high. Just doesn't happen, hasn't happened in any league I play in for years. When EVERYONE in a league is thinking buy low, sell high, the trading field evens out. But yet people on here will go on and on and on about every single player, hypothetical trades, illogical logic and speculation to support their case, etc. Rinse/repeat...

This^^^ the move doesn't necessarily mean anything about Richardson's behavior/work ethic/ talent/ etc... it's all about ditching a losing formula IMO... they aren't going to win with him and Weeden... just won't happen... Therefore it's a firesale... they need to cut their losses, and see what young talent they can acquire in the future... this happens in MLB all the time.

It's hard to believe he was butting heads. He's been nothing but complimentary to the franchise, going out of his way to reassure the fans that the management know what they're doing. Does that really sound like a guy that but heads? I haven't heard them say one negative thing about him either, and the Colts love him already.

The Browns traded him because they think he's just not that good. Not because he was a cancer or anything. The Colts got him because they think he IS that good or better.

he's just happy because he got a free pass... now he gets to play for a contender, and doesn't waste his career away A LA steven jackson

yeah not saying that was the absolute case, just saying that believing they traded him strictly because they thought he was no good is shortsighted. Teams and GMs often times look to the future, and this team doesn't have much going on in the present so it's easy to look to the future. Add in the fact that there's been a regime change since he got drafted. They might want to go in a run and gun offense, and see him as a traditional ground and pound back etc. LOTS of factors go into making a decision. He might not be the next coming of walter payton but he's no scrub either. Personally, I think browns got ripped off. They should have and could have demanded more than just a 1st next year, a 1st that won't even be in the top 10. Probably could have at least got a 2nd with that, if not 2 1st straight up. Quality RBs are not easy to come by in the NFL...

And it's the Browns !!!!! There is a reason they suck every year

They had 2 1st round picks in 2013 ( 3 & 22).

They traded the 3 for what projects to be a mid 20's pick

They drafted a QB @ 22 that they intend to replace with their 1st pick in 2014

yeah not saying that was the absolute case, just saying that believing they traded him strictly because they thought he was no good is shortsighted. Teams and GMs often times look to the future, and this team doesn't have much going on in the present so it's easy to look to the future. Add in the fact that there's been a regime change since he got drafted. They might want to go in a run and gun offense, and see him as a traditional ground and pound back etc. LOTS of factors go into making a decision. He might not be the next coming of walter payton but he's no scrub either. Personally, I think browns got ripped off. They should have and could have demanded more than just a 1st next year, a 1st that won't even be in the top 10. Probably could have at least got a 2nd with that, if not 2 1st straight up. Quality RBs are not easy to come by in the NFL...

You're way off. How many RBs have even been drafted in the first round in recent years? Not many, because the position has been majorly devalued now that the NFL is a passing league. The Colts panicked and as a result the Browns were able to steal a first round pick.