Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Helmets for soccer?

Most parents wouldn’t dream of sending a child on to the football field minus a helmet. But many of us are quite comfortable when our kid plays soccer or field hockey without protective headgear — despite some of the grisly collisions we may have seen from the sidelines.

This fall, though, Princeton, N.J., schools have taken a bold step and required students, for both practice and competition, grades six through 12, to wear a soft helmet during boys and girls soccer, as well as girls field hockey and lacrosse. According to Timothy Quinn, president of the Princeton school board, the headgear retails for about $70 but is provided to students at no charge by the school district .

For the first year, it’s mandatory for all sixth-grade players, while parents in higher grades can formally opt-out of the rule for their child.

And so far, the vast majority of Princeton parents, grades seven through 12, are opting out. “Right now, very few are doing it,” said John Miranda, Princeton’s athletic director. “Change is hard. Many of these parents have spent a lifetime playing without anything and I’m not surprised there’s initial resistance.”

http://www.today.com/moms/helmets-soccer-why-some-parents-are-saying-no-thanks-8C11359522

This will make the game rougher which could be good or bad.

This should be business as usual for Phurfur. He has been wearing a helmet to school on the short-bus for decades.

POW!

This is one of few times I do think Phurfur has an interesting take. Does having to much "safety" equipment actually make things worse, as in more dangerous? As in, players are so protected that they play rougher, even use the safety equipment as weapons (for lack of a better word)?

My niece got in the head with a volleyball last week and got pulled and flagged for concussion testing. I was like "Don't soccer players do that about five times a game?"

This is one of few times I do think Phurfur has an interesting take. Does having to much "safety" equipment actually make things worse, as in more dangerous? As in, players are so protected that they play rougher, even use the safety equipment as weapons (for lack of a better word)?

Doubtful...saw the study in the last year or so (will have to really look for it) that there were more concussions in soccer than football.

There are a ton of collisions whether they are wearing anything or not...seems like a logical step to protect from it.

I have seen some goalies wearing them here and there for a while in the higher ranks.

This is why non political threads don't last on this bored.

Seems this one is lasting just fine. What is your problem with it?

Yeah, I don't think there's any question that the equipment football players and hockey players wear allows them to play much more aggressively than they would otherwise. Not sure about just a helmet though. How violent is a game like lacrosse, compared to soccer?

Yeah, I don't think there's any question that the equipment football players and hockey players wear allows them to play much more aggressively than they would otherwise. Not sure about just a helmet though. How violent is a game like lacrosse, compared to soccer?

I'm not sure, just thought it was something to think about. For instance those facemasks that girls softball pitchers wear. That seems like a smart piece of equipment as it only really effects the pitcher. But if soccer players had on helments maybe they get way more aggressive. You'd be a bit more passive on the ball and on defenders and going after players with your head exposed than not.

Just thought it was an interesting take?

I agree with this. Lacrosse is much more physical than soccer, plus they have sticks.

As far as the pussification goes, i have heard some youth leagues have actually banned the header from soccer, due to concussions. Hopefully if you wear a helmet you can utilize that manuever.

I'm not sure, just thought it was something to think about. For instance those facemasks that girls softball pitchers wear. That seems like a smart piece of equipment as it only really effects the pitcher. But if soccer players had on helments maybe they get way more aggressive. You'd be a bit more passive on the ball and on defenders and going after players with your head exposed than not.

Just thought it was an interesting take?

The law of unintended consequences.

I heard somewhere recently (Simmons podcast maybe?) that some people are proposing taking the facemask off football helmets to try and tone things down. It seems to me this would only encourage spearing and discourage good heads-up tackling.

It has no doubt been a factor in hockey and football at all levels. Hockey players at the youth level and above have full face shields, which causes a lot more stick work. Their pads, particularly the shoulder pads, are significantly larger and sturdier than in the past, so players have no fear of going hard into the boards.

In football, you can have helmets that prevent concussions, but kids had no fear of being hurt by making a hit, so they launch themselves and spear. The work that is being done with the Heads-Up program is helping to prevent some of that, but it is still there.

Only retards play soccer, so it makes good sense to me.

Edjr posted a picture of himself playing soccer for Gloucester from 1988. He was wearing a helmet. :dunno:

Female soccer is the leading cause of concussions among all youth athletes.

But since they're focking retarded no one can tell.