Sign in to follow this  
nearbyatom

How do you pick a Kicker?

I'm having terrible luck with kickers. What stats do you look at?? Opportunities obviously, but how do you predict if they will have opportunities or not?

Pick a guy from a good offense (preferably a good offense that's mediocre in the red zone, like Indy) and then just stick with him for the year. DO NOT change your kicker from week to week--that's how you get burned because there's just no way to predict their weekly performance.

Pick at random, then drop that guy for the highest ranked available guy the following week. Repeat until you're satisfied with your kicker scoring.

all you can ask for from a kicker is as many opportunities as possible, like you said. Therefore pick one on a top 10 offense with a very high positive turnover ratio. In other words, a team that doesn't turn it over and a defense that creates turnovers.

Look for kickers on teams who have a good quarterback but don't have a good short yardage back or have matchups that make it hard to run in a touchdown. Novak, Prater, Hartley, Bailey, Bryant all fit this description.

I'm having terrible luck with kickers. What stats do you look at?? Opportunities obviously, but how do you predict if they will have opportunities or not?

What others said is true, obviously get a K on a good offense. But also get a K on a team that you think will win the game. Winning kickers kick more fg especially in the 2nd half where the loser may be going for TDs.

Good offense

Winning team

thats it.

Pick a guy from a good offense (preferably a good offense that's mediocre in the red zone, like Indy) and then just stick with him for the year. DO NOT change your kicker from week to week--that's how you get burned because there's just no way to predict their weekly performance.

I agree with this which is why I picked up Vinatierri a couple weeks ago. his goose egg last week sucked, but I'm going to stick with him because I think last week was an abberation from the norm.

i look for teams that have drives that tend to stall like the vikes. teams with qb problems.

Track Record, Offense Potency, Climate/Dome, Team Winning%, Late Bye

Only hold 1 kicker through the season and usually aim for a late bye so by the time it comes around if he's been performing, then I may have an injured player/scrub I can drop for the bye week replacement.

In a perfect world, I look for an above average offense and a very good defense figuring a good defense will give my kicker that many more chances... it has worked out well this year with Hauschka / Seattle.

Best average of ppg for kicker + ppg allowed (kicker) by opposition. If that kicker will be playing in bad weather or his offense has been struggling significantly lately, go to next best kicker.

Great defense.

Solid offense with a Qb who isn't great, but can manage the game with a solid Rb. I give you Chiefs Kr Ryan Succop

Week 15 in warm Oakland weather and week 16 at home vs Indi.

Basically good offenses going against decent redzone defenses. Big legs & domes help decide as well.

I try to get a kicker in a game I have no other players playing, especially if it is Thurs pm, Sun pm, or Mon pm....just to drive my interest a little more