Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Draft Discussion Thread

When is he due back though?

He's out this entire season.

I bet they will rush him back, you know, for that Mets' pennant run. :)

He's out this entire season.

Ah he is...I was thinking he was but wasn't sure.

Harvey should be back in time for WW's second pick. :ninja:

(I kid... I kid...)

I bet they will rush him back, you know, for that Mets' pennant run. :)

Well he certainly would be fresh. :ninja:

alright so i had a list of 5 SP. Felix, Fernandez, Bumgarner and then a tossup between Sale and Tanaka. So that choice was made for me and im happy about it as I think i was leaning Tanaka with a better offense behind him.

Phillips.... bleh. Total need pick as Zobrist is my only starting middle infielder at this point. 3 players that I really didn't want to pass on.

solid pick but not a "fun" pick. wish i had landed johnson or escobar in the draft so i could have made a more interesting pick there.

i think if Sale had lasted i just might have gone Tanaka/Sale and started shopping one of my SP.

Was really thinking about Tanaka. None of the other SP on the board wowed me enough to make a play for them. Figured I could get more for my buck with a C that plays every day. Now having the CLE C for sure between Santana and Gomes I should have solid production regardless. Plus if Santana also gets the 3B experiment I'll have additional eligibility there. Should have a lot of play on my INF now. Satisfactory OF depth. Might look to trade for one more. Only 2 other players really sparked my interest with this pick and I felt I'd then have a roster choice too often.

meant to look at this after the regular draft but not too late. So who did you get and who did you miss out on during the draft? I feel like I was set up where I only missed out on Shields in the first 3 rounds. But after that I very quickly missed on Crawford, Rodney, Loney, Johnson etc... the middle rounds killed me. Definitely missed out on more than I was able to land.

Got

Bautista

R. Soriano

Garza

Peralta

Navarro

Kazmir

De La Rosa

Missed

Shields

Rodney

Upton

Crawford

Benoit

Loney

Kelly Johnson

Escobar

Qualls

DeJesus

Joyce

Odorizzi

My plans were a thrown off a bit when the ridiculous run on Rangers players led to Mora taking Kinsler in round 2. I didn't like my chances of getting Fister again as the Nationals had fewer priority players to target than I did. Mora also grabbed Benoit before I expected, which will limit me in the holds category. On the bright side, I did secure two playoff-contending closers, and was able to trade for Kinsler without taking much of a loss (though the trade would have been a huge success if Braun had dropped one more spot). Important players that I got/missed:

Got

Fielder

Nathan

Grilli

Hunter

Joyce

Missed

Kinsler (later traded for)

Fister

Peralta

Martinez

Rodney

Benoit

Infante

Davis

Veras

Wasn't necessarily going after everyone I missed...man did I have a lot of options pretty much everywhere though. This has certainly been a lot of fun so far for my first year. Can't wait for the season to start!

Got:

Hanley Ramirez

Mike Napoli

Victor Martinez

Shane Victorino

Edward Mujica

AJ Pierzynski

Jed Lowrie

Andrew Miller

Mark Melancon

Missed:

Adrian Beltre

Adrian Gonzalez

John Lackey

Koji Uehara

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Marlon Byrd

Johhny Gomes

Carl Crawford

Coco Crisp

Jose Iglesias

Adam Laroche
James Loney

Marco Scutaro

Bartolo Colon

Carlos Pena

Mike Aviles

Got:

Rios

Rasmus

Dickey

Johnson

Happ

Escobar

Arencibia

Davis

League

Frasor

Jeffress

Missed:

Bautista

Werth

Cabrera

Navarro

Scutaro

Izturis

Carpenter

Molina

Buck

Downs

Rzepczynski

Bonifacio

The selections were certainly different than last year. With Halladay and Carpenter both retiring, 2 early picks were off the board. That really only left me with 2 pitchers that would be anywhere near the top of my list. I got lucky and got them both without really hurting my selections. I was only ever going to get 1 of my OF. Would I have liked Joey Bats... sure but Rios could possibly be even more explosive in that TEX lineup and park hitting behind Fielder. I didn't really lose anything after the first round for awhile. Scutaro was lower on my list just because of the health of Escobar and the flexibility and lineup of Johnson. Melky I didn't really want so I started stocking up on RP. Got Carpenter and Downs taken before I expected. Bonifacio would have been a nice stash but couldn't justify the roster position more than the exclusives I will use rather than someone fighting to even make the MLB roster for pt.

I'll have to hope my SP can stay healthy because they really do have the ability to be solid staff for fantasy purposes. No studs but potentially 6 #2 or 3's.

Also i feel like the Jays were the team that thwarted me the most, grabbing Johnson and Escobar.... not big names but key names in the fact i needed middle infield help. Likely payback for Joey bats. Dodgers also stole Crawford and Loney from me. Loney was soooo close to making it back to my 6/7 turn.

I probably sniped from the Angels the most. Peralta, Kazmir and De La Rosa. a Starter and 2 holds guys.

Also i feel like the Jays were the team that thwarted me the most, grabbing Johnson and Escobar.... not big names but key names in the fact i needed middle infield help. Likely payback for Joey bats.

While revenge could be used for motivation, I just went where the coverage of positions and availability took me. I had 2 guys in the top 50 to draft and 4 in the top 200. I got 2 of the 4.

I probably sniped from the Angels the most. Peralta, Kazmir and De La Rosa. a Starter and 2 holds guys.

Don't forget Jose Molina. :mad:

Peralta was a gut shot. With the Rays stellar rotation, he gets a ton of hold opportunities.

My missed team might be better than my real team.

Prince Fielder

Chris Davis

Alex Rios

Adrian Gonzalez

Josh Hamilton

Nelson Cruz

Koji Uehara

Joe Nathan

Alfonso Soriano

Matt Garza

CJ Wilson
Mark Teixeira

Mike Napoli

RA Dickey

Darren O'Day

Ryan Ludwick

Tommy Hunter

Colby Lewis

I stopped counting after that.

Not too comfortable with either 2B or 3B I decided to get someone that could cover either spot.

Stanton falling had me concerned that I would have to decide if I wanted him.

Absolutely thrilled that Jay Bruce fell to me in the 2nd. Love the potential of Cabrera. Before his suspension he had 5 triples and 37 steals with less than 400 AB's.

Feel I have depth all around now and can mix players depending on my team needs. I can go with the speed lineup to get steals when needed with Cabrera and Bourjols. Solid backups at every position except catcher.

The Stanton slide finally ends.

I had every intention of going for a pitcher in the second round, until I logged on this morning and saw him available. Do you guys know something I don't?

Stanton's one of the most talented players around. Just has no one around him and the ballpark will sap his power numbers in my opinion.

I had every intention of going for a pitcher in the second round, until I logged on this morning and saw him available. Do you guys know something I don't?

If he had reached me it would have been an easy call.

If I had the luxury of picking any position I would have nabbed stanton over phillips no doubt. But I wanted a pitcher and needed middle infield.

And my boy chapman falls. I drafted him last year actually thinking he was going to transition to starter but he worked out well as my second closer

And my boy chapman falls. I drafted him last year actually thinking he was going to transition to starter but he worked out well as my second closer

Yeah, I was just looking over my roster before that pick and realized I had only really drafted 1 CP so far...definitely needed one and it was a toss up between him and Reed but Chapman gets the nod because of the ridiculous number of K's he gets.

Ugh, I despise this pick. Was hoping a stud OF or Posey would slide, but knew the Angels would grab Buster. Pure 'need' pick. The lesson to be learned is that pitchers are not coveted in the supplemental draft, so I could have waited until the second round to take one.

Im not sure that SP are not coveted but id say there was probably a top 3 or 4 on most peoples boards.

I had a top 5 but tanaka is a fairly speculative play.

Alot of the pitchers that can be had in the supp can easily slide in as top 3 guys on a lot of teams.

Stanton has great potential. Bruce is solid sure numbers. I couldn't decide who I liked better so Gomez was my pick. The Santana flexibility really appealed to me. Certainly not BPA.

Stanton has great potential. Bruce is solid sure numbers. I couldn't decide who I liked better so Gomez was my pick. The Santana flexibility really appealed to me. Certainly not BPA.

I was really after Braun in the first but that fell through. For the second, I was hoping one of the top two catchers or a Bruce/Stanton level OF would make it. In hindsight, the better plan would have been to just take Gomez and then end up with a certain currently undrafted SP.

I got both my players I was targeting, which filled my glaring holes at 3B and C. I just hope Posey gets a bit more time at 1B, so he doesn't wear himself out and fade like last year.

Back to the Drafted/Missed theme.

Got:

CJ Wilson

Josh Hamilton

Bartolo Colon

Fernando Rodney

Darren O'Day

John Lackey

Raul Ibanez

LaTroy Hawkins

Chris Iannetta

Maicer Izturis

J.B. Shuck

Tyler Chatwood

Got shafted:

Zack Greinke

Ervin Santana

Mike Napoli

Tori Hunter

Mark Teixeira

Carlos Pena

David Freese

Joel Peralta

Peter Bourjos

Dan Haren

Jerome Williams

Jason Vargas

Sean Burnett

Scott Kazmir

Jordan Walden

Dane De La Rosa

K-Rod

Alberto Callaspo

Sean Rodriguez

Tommy Hanson

Scott Downs

Jose Molina

I got both my players I was targeting, which filled my glaring holes at 3B and C. I just hope Posey gets a bit more time at 1B, so he doesn't wear himself out and fade like last year.

Back to the Drafted/Missed theme.

Got:

CJ Wilson

Josh Hamilton

Bartolo Colon

Fernando Rodney

Darren O'Day

John Lackey

Raul Ibanez

LaTroy Hawkins

Chris Iannetta

Maicer Izturis

J.B. Shuck

Tyler Chatwood

Got shafted:

Zack Greinke

Ervin Santana

Mike Napoli

Tori Hunter

Mark Teixeira

Carlos Pena

David Freese

Joel Peralta

Peter Bourjos

Dan Haren

Jerome Williams

Jason Vargas

Sean Burnett

Scott Kazmir

Jordan Walden

Dane De La Rosa

K-Rod

Alberto Callaspo

Sean Rodriguez

Tommy Hanson

Scott Downs

Jose Molina

Don't forget Chone!

Looks like we almost done

Looks like we almost done

Yep... I emailed Burt after cmh picked...

My team feels suuuuper thin. Fairly happy with it just no depth. Seemed deeper last year.

Im going to guess burt goes closer

and yet i get my ballz busted :o

Because u draft guys like jeff bagwell

:D

i will kick yer azz this season