Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Teaching grownups: Cancer charity says school can learn from girl banned for going bald

Tim Kenny knew the charity he helped establish to fight childhood cancer wasnt done raising money, but he thought St. Baldricks Foundation had pretty much buried the stigma of baldness that young fighters of the disease once bore.

Then, he heard about Kamryn Renfro. The 9-year-old Grand Junction, Colo., girl shaved her head to show solidarity for her pal, Delaney Clements, who is fighting cancer and lost her hair after starting chemotherapy. When Kamryn showed up for school at the Caprock Academy Monday, she was told she was violating the dress code and couldnt come back without a wig.

That is absolutely ridiculous, Kenny, whose organization has raised more than $207 million for childhood cancer treatment by using head-shaving as a device for collecting pledges. We started this foundation to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to raise money for research.

The whole reason we chose head shaving was to be in solidarity with kids who are going through treatment, Kenny added. I cant believe people could miss the point like this.

Kamryn was back in class on Tuesday, and a staff member told FoxNews.com that the school s board of directors planned a closed-door meeting that night to discuss the situation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/25/girl-barred-from-school-for-shaving-her-head-to-support-friend-with-cancer/?intcmp=latestnews

I'm tired of you posting stories I read on the way to work :sleep:

Ladies’ Hair: Should be neatly combed or styled. No shaved heads. Hair accessories must be red, white, navy, black or brown. Neat barrettes, headbands and “scrunchies” are permissible. Hair should not be arranged or colored so as to draw undue attention to the student. Hair must be natural looking and conservative in its color. Radical changes in hair color during the school year are unacceptable.

It's in there. :dunno:

Whatever happened to parents teaching kids to follow the focking rules?

Whatever happened to authority figures having a lick of sense and judgement?

Should they change their rules for every 9 y/o who shaves his/her head for a good cause?

Should they change their rules for every 9 y/o who shaves his/her head for a good cause?

What is the point of this rule? Why can't kids shave their head if they and their parents want them to. Isn't shaving your head socially acceptable?

What is the point of this rule? Why can't kids shave their head if they and their parents want them to. Isn't shaving your head socially acceptable?

originally intended for skinheads

What is your point here?

That the policy was probably originally intended for skinheads. Seemed pretty obvious what his point was.

Dumb rule at this point that obviously needs amending.

No. As administrators, they are paid to weigh the circumstances of a case and make a sensible decision, not blindly enforce rules like a robot.

No. As administrators, they are paid to weigh the circumstances of a case and make a sensible decision, not blindly enforce rules like a robot.

It sounds like that's what they are doing. Problem solves?

It sounds like that's what they are doing. Problem solves?

No, they blindly applied a rule, then caved to public outcry, which sends a doubly bad message.

Yeah, that would be funny. :rolleyes:

Not funny funny. But ironic funny. You'd laugh

Not funny funny. But ironic funny. You'd laugh

It would be funny if your daughter got full blown AIDS.

It would be funny if your daughter got full blown AIDS.

It'd be funny if you ever had kids. Or a wife. Or a girlfriend. Or a date.

It'd be funny if you ever had kids. Or a wife. Or a girlfriend. Or a date.

Clearly I spend every weekend running around my house fingering my assh0le and jerking it every which way while shooting mancake batter all over the curtains.

Anyone that checked into this thread to read up on a little girl and the cancer thing is probably checking out of this thread right about now...

No, they blindly applied a rule, then caved to public outcry, which sends a doubly bad message.

I get what you're saying and think it should be overturned, but the school has a rule on the books and therefore they're obliged to enact it fairly across the board. They should overturn it in this instance but I'm not outraged that they now have to revisit the rules because someone decided to break them without giving the school a heads up. This is assuming the dress code was properly communicated in the first place.

Dumb rule, but we are talking about some of the most idiotic people one might ever meet : school administration. If the school has a rule against shaved heads, then she is in violation of that rule, seems straightforward. Not sure that school's should be establishing rules of hygene or grooming though, I mean, they can certainly go f u c k themselves right there. Stupid rule from stupid people, kid must have missed the memo.

A Michigan high school student was banned from competing in his school track meet unless he got rid of the pink Mohawk he’s sporting to honor his mother who has breast cancer.

Mike Barker, a junior at West Iron County High School in Iron River, Mich., told FoxNews.com he was told his new hair style did not meet the school’s grooming and appearance policy, and was told by his coach and then the school principal that he could not compete in his team’s meet on Thursday.

“[My coach] told me I can’t have pink hair with Mohawk to support my mom with breast cancer,” Barker, 17, told FoxNews.com. “I want this to change. That’s my goal.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/29/teen-banned-from-track-meet-over-pink-mohawk-to-support-cancer-stricken-mom/