Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis – QB Johnny Manziel, Browns

Manziel has generated an incredible amount of buzz for any number of reasons and I still believe he has the most boom-bust potential of any of the top four draft-eligible quarterbacks this year, but Cleveland was one of the few spots in the NFL where he has a shot to be a potential a potential fantasy stud because he is falling into the right situation. New OC Kyle Shanahan has already shown he can work with an "unorthodox" quarterback and Josh Gordon gives Manziel the same big-receiver, deep-ball element that Mike Evans did in college. Manziel's problem has never been arm strength, but winning from the pocket. In Shanahan's offense, it is a pretty good bet that he'll run a lot of bootleg and zone-read plays that Robert Griffin III did for Shanahan in Washington. With the Browns, Manziel would have had an outside shot at top-10 fantasy quarterback value in redraft leagues because the offense will be tailored to his running and deep-ball passing abilities, but that was before Gordon couldn't keep himself out of trouble...again. Without Gordon, Manziel will be stretched to enjoy mid-level QB2 value. With that said, it's hard to imagine another quarterback that will get drafted this weekend will find a better fit than Manziel did here.

Update: In light of Gordon's likely suspension, it wouldn't be the least bit shocking if the Browns decided to let Manziel sit behind Brian Hoyer a bit longer than I suspected on Thursday since it would be a bit ridiculous to throw Manziel into the fire without the league's top receiver from a season ago.

From a real QB standpoint, I agree. From a fantasy perspective, I could see Manziel playing 12 games and rushing for about 600 yards and five TDs, throw for about 2,500 and about 15-16 scores. I'm not saying I'd draft him among the top 10 QBs, but I think this is a great situation for his fantasy prospects.

Hoyer was fantasy relevant for a couple games last year. Manziel could do it too, though I certainly wouldn't bank on it right out of the gate

Too bad they didn't get Watkins as well.

Great situation for him. At this point if I feel like I have a solid QB1 I'd consider grabbing him as my QB2 early (8th/9th) for his upside.

Looking forward to the Bengals slapping him around twice a year.

Looking forward to the Steelers putting a beat down on him twice a year as well.

With the Browns, Manziel has an outside shot at top-10 fantasy quarterback value in redraft leagues because the offense will be tailored to his running and deep-ball passing abilities.

I just spit coffee all over my keyboard. If by "outside shot", you mean 1000:1 odds in Vegas, well...sure.

It's very hard to predict how Johnny Manziel will do in Cleveland. I do think he could be a very productive player. First he needs to become an expert at avoiding the big hit when he's extending plays and holding the ball to long. Although the Browns have been terrible and even embarrassing at times for their fans I do think they are making progress.

Manziel isn't playing unless Hoyer gets injured...

Small holds ball way too long likes to scramble. Gonna get killed pretty quick in NFL

Browns can't help themselves picking qbs nobody wants in 1st round

Looking forward to the Steelers putting a beat down on him twice a year as well.

And the Ravens.

He ended up in the worst possible team.

Faces 3 teams every year with a focus on defense.

Outdoor and on grass.

Horrible weather come November.

In a team that simply don't produce QB.

And the Ravens.

He ended up in the worst possible team.

Faces 3 teams every year with a focus on defense.

Outdoor and on grass.

Horrible weather come November.

In a team that simply don't produce QB.

I never watch a play where Johnny doesn't stand like a statue for 30 seconds then Try to scramble with that tiny frame of his

The Browns should draft a wr in the 2nd. That offense is coming around!

I never watch a play where Johnny doesn't stand like a statue for 30 seconds then Try to scramble with that tiny frame of his

They are going to BLOW him up.

Can anyone guess HOW many QB the Browns used last season due to injuries? Ya, it's not a coincident.

Just goes to show all you need is a nickname (johnny football) or a single amazing play (clowney) to be a first round pick in the nfl. Not saying clowney isnt good or great, but without that one play he doesnt go no.1.

He can learn. I imagine he grasps that the concept that the NFL is a different game and that he will need to adjust accordingly...

He can learn. I imagine he grasps that the concept that the NFL is a different game and that he will need to adjust accordingly...

He can def learn, but those kinds of things are instinctual, hard habits to break. I prefer kids that the game comes naturally to, not where they have to learn a bunch of fundamental skills that are the difference of getting crushed or not. But he can def learn and maybe he will.

I doubt he understands the 'way' of the NFL.

He's nothing but a FAME chaser. Everything from the money sign with his hands to hanging out with celebrities.

I give this guy 0 chance to be an elite QB in this league.

Too bad they didn't get Watkins as well.

They should have taken Watkins at no. 4. I understand getting a compliment to Joe Haden, that's fine. However, the Browns knew about 2 weeks before the draft about Josh Gordon and failed miserably to draft a playmaker for their potential franchise QB. Gordon will most likely be gone this year and other than Miles Austin and perhaps Andrew Hawkins, they have little to nothing at the WR position for Manziel or Hoyer. Austin is not the future and Hawkins is nothing more than a no.2 WR. Watkins would have filled an immediate need not to mention giving their QB a solid target to throw to.

Getting Buffalo's 1st next year is a solid pick to acquire, no doubt about it. It could be a late 1st next year for all we know. It'll be interesting to see what happens.