Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Glimmer of Hope for Josh Gordon?

I'd bet the mortgage his atty is leaking the defense and the details of the test. Thing is, that amount really IS miniscule, and could be in his system if he visited some friends in Colorado who have the right to smoke weed. Had he ingested, it probably would be a higher percentage, given the frequency with which he gets tested. It's not like it has been a year since he got tested, and it stays in the system a good month to a far grater percentage than what his test showed. If he's driving around town with his buddy, the one who got busted for week when he gut the DUI, and his buddy's smoking in the car....I dunno. I think this whole thing ends up around 4 games with the DUI figured in.

I'd bet the mortgage his atty is leaking the defense and the details of the test. Thing is, that amount really IS miniscule, and could be in his system if he visited some friends in Colorado who have the right to smoke weed. Had he ingested, it probably would be a higher percentage, given the frequency with which he gets tested. It's not like it has been a year since he got tested, and it stays in the system a good month to a far grater percentage than what his test showed. If he's driving around town with his buddy, the one who got busted for week when he gut the DUI, and his buddy's smoking in the car....I dunno. I think this whole thing ends up around 4 games with the DUI figured in.

Did you read what the NFL said yesterday, they can only give him 16 or nothing , for this issue they have no option to lower the games. its all or nothing. And they also came out and said second hand smoke excuse is not acceptable. If its in you it does not matter how it got there. So cant be 4 games.

Yeah, but it can be 4 games for the DUI. Above all, the league wants to make money, and they make money by keeping their star players on the field if they can. I think they use the split positive sample thing as an excuse to waive the mandatory. Could be wrong. The Steeler fan in me wants him suspended all year. The fantasy player in me wants him reinstated because I picked him up off waivers. I can't win, and I can't lose.

• Like 1

There are some reports today that the league said it will not suspend player for 2nd hand smoke I read on the other site but cant find anything about it and everything I read says the opposite. This will be an interesting Friday.

Here is a good article about all the issue in the hearing Friday

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/6942/on-the-josh-gordon-situation

Yeah, but it can be 4 games for the DUI. Above all, the league wants to make money, and they make money by keeping their star players on the field if they can. I think they use the split positive sample thing as an excuse to waive the mandatory. Could be wrong. The Steeler fan in me wants him suspended all year. The fantasy player in me wants him reinstated because I picked him up off waivers. I can't win, and I can't lose.

The Split Sample is his best chance to get off. If he was not a repeat offender I think he would but being a repeat offender and getting introuble again while waiting for this hearing is troubling for him. Again cant wait for Friday. Guy can jump from not being drafted to the 2nd round real fast.

Supposedly he is practicing like he is going to be suspended.

Josh Gordon practicing 'as if he expects to lose his appeal' by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

(3:18 pm ET) Browns receiver Josh Gordon "has looked at times in practice as if he expects to lose his appeal of his yearlong suspension," reports ESPN.com. Gordon is not working strictly with the starters, the website said, "and he has loafed through some routes."

Gordon has a reputation for not going full speed in practice, and that's been especially true in this camp. "He has given up on routes; he has not extended himself; and he has let passes go through his hands," the website said.

The decision got pushed to next week. Emperor Goodell is in Canton Friday, so I'll have to hold him on my roster a little longer. Would've been nice to find out tomorrow. I think Goodell should be more considerate to the fantasy fans, right? :)

I read that the meeting with Goodell has nothing to do with the hearing which is with an arbitrator and it is still friday. Nothing was pushed back . Gordon left last night for the meeting and will be in NY for the hearing today and tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/twithersAP

#Browns WR Josh Gordon not on practice field. Told he flew to New York last night for appeal hearing scheduled for Friday with NFL.

after 6 failed drug tests, things are going well for the young man.

The lesson learned: you're better off punching a nun in the NFL.

Harold Henderson will hear Josh Gordon's appeal on Friday.

It's not good news for Gordon. A source previously told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that "you would have a better chance of convincing your teacher your dog ate your homework" than trying to get Henderson to buy a second-hand smoke defense. The Plain Dealer added Thursday that it's a "longshot" Gordon will get off the hook. Commissioner Roger Goodell will not be at the hearing, but is expected to meet with Gordon sometime in the next week.

Harold Henderson will hear Josh Gordon's appeal on Friday.

It's not good news for Gordon. A source previously told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that "you would have a better chance of convincing your teacher your dog ate your homework" than trying to get Henderson to buy a second-hand smoke defense. The Plain Dealer added Thursday that it's a "longshot" Gordon will get off the hook. Commissioner Roger Goodell will not be at the hearing, but is expected to meet with Gordon sometime in the next week.

A source made a comment? Lmao. That's a little vague. What kind of source? I'm a source too I guess.

This story changes by the day.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com there's a "slight chance" Josh Gordon could reach a settlement with the NFL where his one-year suspension is reduced.

Per PFT's Mike Florio, "Any deal presumably would entail a suspension for Gordon that lasts less than a year." This would be much better news for Gordon than the original notion of an "all or nothing" situation in Friday's appeal sitdown with hearing officer Harold Henderson, whereby either the one-year suspension would stand in full, or be erased. (The suspension isn't getting erased, by all accounts.) Florio reports "a ruling is expected fairly soon."
Jul 31 - 11:16 PM

He's got no chance. He continued to be an idiot this offseason. That doesn't get rewarded. He dug a deeper ditch every chance he got.

Is he in rehab now? If I'm his agent I tell him to go to rehab, come out and move to Tibet for a year and become a monk. Then come back and resume the career.

we're not going to hear the ruling today

WTF is going on with this situation?? Tweets coming out that his hearing went from 9:30am to 7:00pm, and will continue Monday?? (if I knew how to post them I would). I'm sure there have been murder trials that didn't last that long. Is this good or bad? I need this chode in my keeper league, and this whole situation has lasted waaaay too long. Is it even fair to the Browns to around with this for 3 months?

i would assume the longer the meetings are, the better it is for Gordon. better than a quick half hour 'talking to' and a "see you next year".

that would lead me to believe the NFL is weighing facts and perhaps trying to determine a length of suspension under a year.

lets pretend the drug test gets thrown out due to the A/B sample thing. how much time do you give a guy for getting a DWI who has Gordons track record....? 4 seems like too little, then again wife beater Ray Rice got 2 and if the league really wants to set themselves up to go easy on Irsay.....

8 is what I would give him but I would have given Rice 4

Obviously Gordon is no saint, and worse, he's pretty focking stupid.

But, how much of a mess is he? Let's see:

Smoked dope in college. - Who didn't?

Has some dubious friends. - Who doesn't?

Tested + for Tylenol with Codeine. - lol

Passed 70 drug tests in a row in the past what, 9 months. - Um, a bit of overkill no?

'Failed' a test by a hair. - Case would get tossed in a court of law due to possibility of a testing error/malfunction.

Got a DWI by .01 over the limit. - This proves he's dumb, but again, a good lawyer would get him off due to possibility of machine error. .09 is literally like 3 drinks.

Looks to me like he's not exactly the anti-Christ people make him out to be. As far as getting 8 games for his DWI (if he's convicted). Who knows. Stallworth only got 16 games and he focking killed someone. Rice got 2 for knocking out his wife on camera. Roethlisberger got 6 (reduced to 4) and he was never even charged, let alone found guilty of a crime.

At most Gordon should get 2 games. But with the idiot Goodell, who knows.

It looks like he has a lot of people try to rationalize all of the rule breaking.

No one is saying he is the devil. I doubt its a good message to send if he gets off every time he breaks the rules by just a little bit.

Taking something with codeine?

Being .001 nanogram over the THC limit, which is well within the margin of error?

Blowing .09, which is also within the margin of error?

Being in a car with someone that had weed?

Aside from the DWI (which any public defender could win that case), none of those are against the law. I'm not saying he's a saint, and he's definitely dumb as fock. He's never gotten 'off' of anything though. I think it's the wrong message to suspend him for the same length of time as someone that actually killed someone driving drunk, and 8 times as long as someone that knocked out a woman. I guess we'll see.

Taking something with codeine?

Being .001 nanogram over the THC limit, which is well within the margin of error?

Blowing .09, which is also within the margin of error?

Being in a car with someone that had weed?

Aside from the DWI (which any public defender could win that case), none of those are against the law. I'm not saying he's a saint, and he's definitely dumb as fock. He's never gotten 'off' of anything though. I think it's the wrong message to suspend him for the same length of time as someone that actually killed someone driving drunk, and 8 times as long as someone that knocked out a woman. I guess we'll see.

The wrong message is to give a slap on the wrist to a player who was already on thin ice, but he obviously didnt think the consequences would be enough to make staying on his best behavior priority.

Obviously Gordon is no saint, and worse, he's pretty focking stupid.

But, how much of a mess is he? Let's see:

Smoked dope in college. - Who didn't?

Has some dubious friends. - Who doesn't?

Tested + for Tylenol with Codeine. - lol

Passed 70 drug tests in a row in the past what, 9 months. - Um, a bit of overkill no?

'Failed' a test by a ###### hair. - Case would get tossed in a court of law due to possibility of a testing error/malfunction.

Got a DWI by .01 over the limit. - This proves he's dumb, but again, a good lawyer would get him off due to possibility of machine error. .09 is literally like 3 drinks.

Looks to me like he's not exactly the anti-Christ people make him out to be. As far as getting 8 games for his DWI (if he's convicted). Who knows. Stallworth only got 16 games and he focking killed someone. Rice got 2 for knocking out his wife on camera. Roethlisberger got 6 (reduced to 4) and he was never even charged, let alone found guilty of a crime.

At most Gordon should get 2 games. But with the idiot Goodell, who knows.

The DWI is just a case of him getting caught. It's a symptom of a guy who drives drunk from time to time. As a father of two kids, this clown should not get a slap on the wrist. He needs to be scared straight.

While I disagree with the fact that they should even be testing for weed, this isn't the first test he's failed. To keep being lenient on someone who can't keep their ish straight only emboldens them. If he wants to get paid he knows what he has to do, but if he wants to smoke all day he can come kick it with me. If I was in the nfl I would want to keep those pay checks coming and keep people around who want to help me achieve that goal, if you get mad cuz I don't want you smoking around me, well hopefully you would have 10 years or so till I got out of the league to get over it.

Geez, this is getting ridiculous...

No decision is expected Monday on Josh Gordon's suspension appeal.

The hearing is still taking place in New York, with Gordon listening in via phone. We'll update when we get more information about Gordon's situation.
Aug 4 - 2:40 PM

The fact that weed is illegal and against the leagues drug policy is the real issue. No way in H-E-double hockey sticks is it performance enhancing, unless you play in the doritos and donuts after dark intramural league from Munchies Univerisity.

I hope he gets a reduced suspensiion so I can draft him late and then reap the rewards like last year from week 5 on.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports suspended WR Josh Gordon is expecting a decision on his appeal in 1-3 weeks.

Gordon's hearing continued and concluded on Monday while he listened in via phone after practicing with the team. The 1-3 week timeframe is longer than most expected, and isn't exactly getting Gordon an answer in a "timely" fashion. It doesn't sound like we'll know anything this week. All we can do is wait.
Aug 4 - 6:41 PM

The wrong message is to give a slap on the wrist to a player who was already on thin ice, but he obviously didnt think the consequences would be enough to make staying on his best behavior priority.

This is the best rationale, right here. Yea, in a vacuum, any of the offenses committed by Gordon would be laughable. Problem is, he's building quite a bit of a reputation for skirting the line between acceptable and punishable. It's a tough call because if he does something AGAIN, then you (the NFL) look like idiots for letting him skate.

Wasn't his DUI the night of the 4th of July? He should get a pass on that too. It's just complete B.S. to take him and Justin Blackmon off the field. Goodell is only hurting the fans.

He's got no chance. He continued to be an idiot this offseason. That doesn't get rewarded. He dug a deeper ditch every chance he got.

Is he in rehab now? If I'm his agent I tell him to go to rehab, come out and move to Tibet for a year and become a monk. Then come back and resume the career.

Going to Rehab would be an admission of guilt. He wont do that. at least not now. if he gets a year, he may do it as part of a deal to shorten the suspension, but I'm not sure I'd buy that either.

These tests have far too much variance between them. I remember in Chemistry lab in college I took two samples for a final that were varied. It was because of contamination of what was supposed to be a sterile container. Now the me with experience would know to chuck that first result, and just make up a similar number to the second one if time isn't available for a third test. But the me of back then I remember was too dumb to do that, and so I got something like a C+ on that lab final, and a B something overall iirc.

Point is, you can't screw up for million dollar outcomes. The results just have to be closer.

Then again, Gordon also did this to himself, so it's not like I feel that strongly. If you have the opportunity to earn 7 figures a year, with career earnings in the 8 figures, and Josh Gordon did look on track for both, then you really need to give up some of your habits for a little while and just bank it.

Breaking News:

Josh Gordon doesn't partipate in fantasy football leagues that use decimal scoring

These tests have far too much variance between them. I remember in Chemistry lab in college I took two samples for a final that were varied. It was because of contamination of what was supposed to be a sterile container. Now the me with experience would know to chuck that first result, and just make up a similar number to the second one if time isn't available for a third test. But the me of back then I remember was too dumb to do that, and so I got something like a C+ on that lab final, and a B something overall iirc.

Point is, you can't screw up for million dollar outcomes. The results just have to be closer.

Then again, Gordon also did this to himself, so it's not like I feel that strongly. If you have the opportunity to earn 7 figures a year, with career earnings in the 8 figures, and Josh Gordon did look on track for both, then you really need to give up some of your habits for a little while and just bank it.

They rinsed out Ricky Williams' pee cup with some tap water and gave it to Josh for the test

Where is the final verdict on his suspension? I thought it was supposed to be out yesterday...or even last Friday?

What is taking so long?

They said one to threed weeks right?

Good for gordon. Not saying he still won't be suspended but the longer they take on a ruling the better. Means there is something to discuss or think about.

Got to think rice getting 2 games for his helps as well although Gordon is a repeat offender.

We will see. Definitely interesting and possibly some great value for redrafts going on right now

If Gordon loses his appeal, he'll file suit against the NFL. He likely would win that case.

Sue them for what? Him failing 5 other drug tests and the zero tolerance policy written into the cba? HE lost all leniency long ago. Right or wrong, Goodell is following the agreed upon rules of the collective bargaining agreement

Under Ohio law, he did not test positive. Ohio law states both samples must show positive. The NFL may say that the CBA falls under federal law, but the courts may rule otherwise since he is employed in the state of Ohio. And this is if he loses his appeal.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are "hoping for" a settlement in the Josh Gordon case, but are still expecting "at least" an eight-game suspension.

A source considers an eight-game ban the "best-case scenario." Per reporter Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns "certainly aren't counting on it." Absent a settlement, Gordon will be barred for at least one year if he loses his appeal. A decision is expected in 1-3 weeks. Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 5 - 10:03 PM