Sign in to follow this  
Gandalfthecat

Anyone down on Gio after his preseason?

He better not be used as a slut man. I paid $52 for him in an auction and that's more than I spend on sluts. Even a PPR slut man.

:banana:

Iv decided that we can expect exactly the same scenario as last year. Hill will be Law Firm and Gio will do what he did last year. I see no reason to expect a yard or td better besides of course the natural variance of nfl plays. But as far as logical projection, last years gameplan seems to be the same as this years as far as the running game goes. Boo.

They will run more with Hue, so the pie is bigger, hence Gio will have higher stats even with same % share.

The more obvious point, everyone should target Hill.

Via Rotoworld

According to Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson, "it looks like (Giovani) Bernard and (Jeremy) Hill could both get about 200 attempts" on the ground this season.
Hobson notes that Hill "changed the tenor" of Cincinnati's third preseason game against Arizona, and expects the rookie's "power running" to be a particular "boon" against division rivals Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Hobson also wonders if BenJarvus Green-Ellis may have played his final game as a Bengal. Clearly the best inside runner on the Bengals' roster, Hill continues to be severely undervalued at his mid-10th-round ADP. If Gio only winds up with 200 carries, it's going to be difficult to reach the 300 touches many have projected him for. Aug 27 - 12:04 PM

Gio passed the eyeball test to me last year. He's a playmaker.

So CIN has a power back to run inside and take the pounding? While Gio gets to play in space, catch passes, and be electric? Doesn't sound that bad to me.

200 rushes and 35-50ish catches still puts GIO at a good RB2 slot actually. Given his talent, he'll make good work of those 250ish touches, possobly pushing into RB1 category...

I'm telling yall Gio/Hill = CJ/Lendale circa 08'. Get them together and ride that train.

I don't think he's that explosive. Maybe Rice-McGahee circa whatever year it was?

I think this has to be a downer for a lot of people who may have used early-mid 2nd rounders on him hoping he would be a RB1 esp those that went top WR or Jimmer or Peyton in the 1st.

I don't think he's that explosive. Maybe Rice-McGahee circa whatever year it was?

Obviously not as fast as CJ but I could see the same production those guys put out that year is my main point.

1600 all purpose yds 10 tds for Gio

1000 yds and 12 tds for Hill

I would expect the team will put more 2 back sets into the offense. But I dont know what to make of Gio. I love his talent, but the coaches do not seem to wanna make him into a workhorse back. I know players like him tend to develop a little slower, but I'm not seeing a coaching staff that wants to run exclusively with Gio. They seem to WANT a committee and this may be good for the team, but may not be good for fantasy football.

of course, that being said, I would not put a whole lot of thought into his preseason production. as a rookie they would have given him all the carries he could handle to get him in tune with the offense during the preseason.

he is a vet now. he knows the system, and there is no reason to give him a pile of carries in preseason.

RB starters notoriously dont play a lot of snaps in preseason as the position is physical and the risk of injury is higher than for other positions. Some RB starters dont even play in exhibition games to speak of.

on this note, you cannot look at exhibition as a true indicator of his talent. hes not gonna go the extra mile to get the extra yards cuz he does not have to win his job.

come game 1 he will look a lot better. its just a question of whether this will be a time share or not.

if you think Gio will be a workhorse back, hes a top 10 back. if you think it is a timeshare, he is an adequate 2nd stringer or an outstanding 3rd stringer for fantasy purposes. Where you place him is up to you.

Too small to be an everydown back IMO... Think he is pretty comperable to Ellington in that regard except the Bengals will run alot more.

Ray Rice was a touch smaller when he came into the league. Gio is almost identical to MJD and Ray Rice at the combine. He had a solid build as well. I do think he is better served in space but I don't think his size is a concern.

Ray Rice was a touch smaller when he came into the league. Gio is almost identical to MJD and Ray Rice at the combine. He had a solid build as well. I do think he is better served in space but I don't think his size is a concern.

MJD was built like a bowling ball, and Rice appears bigger from what i've seen of Bernard who really isn't much of an interior runner

MJD was built like a bowling ball, and Rice appears bigger from what i've seen of Bernard who really isn't much of an interior runner

MJD is now...but I'm just telling you the numbers when they came into the league. It doesn't concern me.

Well, this type of back seems to develop a little slower than your typical back.

Rice's first year was not great. he didnt pick it up until year 2.

Tiki barber also started slow and hes the same type of back.

CJ Spiller is still making the adjustment in my opinion.

I dont know if this is coincidence or if it is a case where the coach tries not to break their new toy earlier in the players career due to their smallish build.

but I do know one thing for sure:

They drafted another young RB. a big kid that can run inside. presumably this is being done to cut down on Gio's carries.

I cant say for sure, but that's what it looks like.

based on this alone, I'd be careful about assuming this kid will be an everydown workhorse back. all the signs point to a timeshare of sorts.

I agree timeshare is in his future...I just wanted to say I'm not concerned about his size.

Just to be repetitive...I think Gio/Hill will both start the same week for me multiple times this year

Nearly every team in the NFL save 5 or 6 situations is using a RBBC.

Gio is going to be in one.

The best thing going for Gio is that the Bengals are looking great on both sides of the ball.

He will produce as the team does.

Hill wasn't drafted to cut down on Gio's carries. He was drafted to take over BGJE 220 that he received last year.

The only question in this timeshare IMO is the balance of how those carries get split.

Does Gio take 220 this year and Hill take 170?

Does Gio get the same 170 as last year and Hill straight take over BGJE's 220?

Gio passed the eyeball test to me last year. He's a playmaker.

So CIN has a power back to run inside and take the pounding? While Gio gets to play in space, catch passes, and be electric? Doesn't sound that bad to me.

:thumbsup:

And Hill, I have to believe, is certainly a better talent than BJGE and his 3.4 YPC average was last year.

So Gio might be 'competing' with a better back for carries but on the other side the Bengals won't be giving 220 carries to a back only averaging 3.4 YPC and stalling out the offense.

Hill's presence can help the team, help the offense and in that sense he might not be as much a 'drain' on Gio as he can help the Bengals extend drives and have more offensive possession.

I think its going to be 200 rushes and 30 catches for hill and 160 rushes and 60 catches for gio.

that would be 30 more rushes on the year for a team moving to a more run heavy offense. so yes.

360 rushes on the year for that offense?

Sure. Gio got 170 last year. BGJE 220.

That's 390.

Bengals as a team combined had 481.

Sure. Gio got 170 last year. BGJE 220.

That's 390.

Bengals as a team combined had 481.

That was with Gruden. You don't see any increase with a new run heavy scheme?