Sign in to follow this  
gimethedamnball

Titans RB's

From the split of touches between Greene(15), Sankey(6) and McCluster(9) it's an obvious RBBC. I know the pundits say Sankey is eventually going to take over but is Greene the guy to actually own? I can see him being a sneaky play this week vs Dallas at home. I know the Titans aren't exactly a high octane offense, but can see him being the lead dog in a game that might get lopsided if Dallas comes out flat again.

Tennessee homers, what say you about the backfield?

I drafted Samkey in 3 leagues anticipating him being the starter and did not like what I saw. I do believe he'll be the starter eventually. But right now, it's RBBC.

A healthy Locker with a good o-line and weapons...I do feel they can and will be a high octane offense.

with the titans running 3 wide sets most of the time I am not so sure any one of their rbs are going to be worthy of rostering in anything but deep leagues.

They want Sankey to be the guy, but he clearly isnt good enough to take over the role by himself. He'll get better as the season goes but may never be the RB he was drafted to be. He's a long term stash if you have him.

They want Sankey to be the guy, but he clearly isnt good enough to take over the role by himself. He'll get better as the season goes but may never be the RB he was drafted to be. He's a long term stash if you have him.

I thought he ran well week 1. Is it really that obvious?

Everybody hates Greene but the man has run well thus far. I could see him at 75 and 1 for this week against Dallas. He isn't flashy but he will get the most touches and GL carries. Our O-line should be able to open holes against most D lines, so he really only needs to run hard and follow his blocks which is exactly what he has done through preseason and game 1.

I thought he ran well week 1. Is it really that obvious?

Assuming your taking about Sankey..

He came in late in a game that wasn't close after the chiefs lost arguably 2 of their most important run stoppers in DeVito and Johnson.

He did look good though. I hope he has more to him than we have seen so far. I haven't talked to a Titans fan yet who feels he has the look of something special.

Impossible to know week to,week . I would think the coach will go with the hot hand like most teams do with a RBBC

I wouldn't sleep Dexter McCluster either, I thought he looked pretty good myself and he recieved a healthy number of touches.

Those touches probably go to Sankey sooner or later but I am not sure McCluster is going to make it easy on him.

I added Greene to replace AP this week, and while I am not thrilled I think its a pretty good matchup.

Assuming your taking about Sankey..

He came in late in a game that wasn't close after the chiefs lost arguably 2 of their most important run stoppers in DeVito and Johnson.

He did look good though. I hope he has more to him than we have seen so far. I haven't talked to a Titans fan yet who feels he has the look of something special.

Well...count me as a Titans fan who has been impressed by Sankey's performance this offseason and preseason. (He had arguably one of the most exciting plays during the entire preseason, when he caught a pass from Whitehurst during a broken-play against the Packers and turned it into a great pickup.) Sankey played with the backup unit for the entire preseason because he missed a good chunk of the offseason due to NFL rules about his eligibility -- i.e. he couldn't start practicing with the team until after his graduation and, since UW is on the quarter system, his school-year didn't end until after many of his fellow rookies.

Anyway...I believe that Sankey definitely has the skills and potential to be a franchise RB for the Titans, and I think he'll get more and more carries as the year progresses and as he proves that he can keep Locker upright. (Note: I'm not a Sankey owner in FF, just a Titans fan.) But, from the coaches' perspective, there's no real rush here because Greene has been playing pretty well and has provided consistent -- albeit unspectacular -- running during the preseason. McCluster's going to get some carries too in Whisenhunt's system. (I don't think Leon Washington will continue to get carries going forward; and, to be honest, I was totally surprised that he got carries in the opener, as he's primarily our KR.)

Well...count me as a Titans fan who has been impressed by Sankey's performance this offseason and preseason. (He had arguably one of the most exciting plays during the entire preseason, when he caught a pass from Whitehurst during a broken-play against the Packers and turned it into a great pickup.) Sankey played with the backup unit for the entire preseason because he missed a good chunk of the offseason due to NFL rules about his eligibility -- i.e. he couldn't start practicing with the team until after his graduation and, since UW is on the quarter system, his school-year didn't end until after many of his fellow rookies.

Anyway...I believe that Sankey definitely has the skills and potential to be a franchise RB for the Titans, and I think he'll get more and more carries as the year progresses and as he proves that he can keep Locker upright. (Note: I'm not a Sankey owner in FF, just a Titans fan.) But, from the coaches' perspective, there's no real rush here because Greene has been playing pretty well and has provided consistent -- albeit unspectacular -- running during the preseason. McCluster's going to get some carries too in Whisenhunt's system. (I don't think Leon Washington will continue to get carries going forward; and, to be honest, I was totally surprised that he got carries in the opener, as he's primarily our KR.)

He looked ok in preseason playing against guys who were getting cut and 3rd stringers.

I'm definitely a Titans fan, and I was not happy with the pick of Sankey. I was wanting them to address needs for the Ds transition to a 3-4. I am probably biased towards Sankey for this reason. As a fan, I hope he works out.

He looked ok in preseason playing against guys who were getting cut and 3rd stringers.

I'm definitely a Titans fan, and I was not happy with the pick of Sankey. I was wanting them to address needs for the Ds transition to a 3-4. I am probably biased towards Sankey for this reason. As a fan, I hope he works out.

I liked the Sankey pick then, and I still like it. (I'd say that he looked better than "ok" in the preseason, but I guess it's a matter of perspective.) As far as the draft goes, I thought Sankey was the safest RB pick overall -- better hands than Hyde, bigger than Freeman or Mason, without the off-the-field baggage of Hill, etc. He seems like the kind of player that will be a very good contributor for the Titans for 7-8 years, assuming that he stays healthy. He likely won't have the highs of CJ's 2000 yard campaign or Eddie in his prime, but he probably won't have the lows of those two either.

At first, while I liked the Sankey pick, I was a bit worried that we were passing on DL talent; however, I think we got a good one in DaQuan Jones later, a guy who can play both DE and DT in Horton's scheme. And I think we have enough pass-rushers to get pressure with Horton's playcalling, though I wish that Akeem Ayers would show some signs of life (seriously...what happened to that guy?). The only real DEF position that I'm worried about is #2 CB and maybe ILB depth after Brown's injury. Other than that, I think this is a much-improved team from top to bottom.

Shonn greene is pretty underrated IMO... the guy isn't blindingly fast/shifty/or have that great of field vision, but he runs hard and he hits the hole decisively... he's not a guy that is going to dance and lose a few yards trying to get around the corner, and i think that's all the titans want right now... some consistency.... i think he gets most of the carries until he gets hurt... maybe sankey works into a 50/50 split eventually... unless he really shows something

If I were a Titan fan, I wouldn't want Shonne Greene on my team if the choice were between him and a 41 year old Eddie George. In fact I'd go all the way back to Houston and get a crippled Earl Campbell first. Greene is who we think he is, who we've always known him to be, and the only important relevancy here is the Tennessee offensive line.

They have the best one-two punch at guard in the league in Levitre and Warnick, a future stud at Left tackle in rookie Taylor Lewan, a solid Michael Roos at Right tackle, and Brian Schwenke, a fourth rounder last year, at center. They are young, talented, and beastly. And right now that line is performing miracles making Shonne Greene look like a passable NFL running back.

Sankey is the back to own here, though it's hard to predict how long of a transition it will take him to be ready having played in a fast-paced offense at Washington last year.

shonn green is this years knowshon moreno from last year

I have watched Green and he's no Moreno of any year!! Green sucks!

If I were a Titan fan, I wouldn't want Shonne Greene on my team if the choice were between him and a 41 year old Eddie George. In fact I'd go all the way back to Houston and get a crippled Earl Campbell first. Greene is who we think he is, who we've always known him to be, and the only important relevancy here is the Tennessee offensive line.

They have the best one-two punch at guard in the league in Levitre and Warnick, a future stud at Left tackle in rookie Taylor Lewan, a solid Michael Roos at Right tackle, and Brian Schwenke, a fourth rounder last year, at center. They are young, talented, and beastly. And right now that line is performing miracles making Shonne Greene look like a passable NFL running back.

Sankey is the back to own here, though it's hard to predict how long of a transition it will take him to be ready having played in a fast-paced offense at Washington last year.

This is unfortunately incorrect on several levels.

First, the Titans OL is certainly NOT dominant, or, at least, they haven't looked dominant thus far against competitions (i.e. last season, this preseason, and week one against the Chiefs). Although the Titans have invested quite a bit in re-tooling the OL, they've yet to really gel as a unit and, as such, they haven't performed up to expectations yet. Even the "big names" like Levitre and Warmack have struggled. (Levitre got absolutely blown up a few times last week, and Warmack, while improving, also gets beat semi-regularly. They aren't even remotely close to the "best one-two OG punch" in the NFL.) Schwenke and Oher also struggle with consistency. Roos is still, by far, our best and most consistent OL -- though he's clearly lost a step (or two) from his younger days, when he was one of the most underrated and most dominant left OTs in the game. Lewan showed flashes in the preseason but also displayed the temper that is his recurring problem by earning some personal foul penalties, which will need to be cleaned up. However, for whatever reason, the popular sentiment -- propagated by outlets like ESPN -- is that the Titans have this fantastic OL. It's just not true. They are playing OK but aren't great by any stretch of the imagination. Fortunately, they still have the rest of the season to pull it together, and I'm optimistic that they can be a top 5 OL by the end (though they definitely aren't right now). This OL is young and talented and anything but beastly.

Second, Shonn Greene has played well this preseason and played well in week one as well. Do I expect Greene to run for 1,000 yards? Nope. Do I expect him to stay healthy all season? Nope. But right now, he's exactly what the coaching staff wants: A guy who will take what the DEF gives him and consistently gain 3-5 yards/carry. In that sense, he's the anti-Chris Johnson, who, in his final few seasons in Tennessee, would press too much and try to go for the big run rather than just taking the easy yards. (This, in turn, got the Titans offense into a lot of 2nd-and-9, 3rd-and-7 type situations -- which puts a lot of pressure on a young QB to perform.) Greene, on the other hand, has thus far shown that he'll pick the right hole and get the sure gain, putting Locker in more 2nd-and-6, 3rd-and-3 type situations, which this offense is more than capable of capitalizing on. Again, it's not an exciting run-strategy because it's unlikely that Greene breaks off any 20+ yarders; however, it's helping the offense to stay on the field longer and giving the defense more rest. Basically, Greene has made the Titans OL look good this preseason and in week one (and not the other way around), as crazy as it may sound to FFers.

Lastly, I agree that Sankey is a talented RB; and, as I said in another post, I think he's capable of being a "franchise" type RB for the Titans for the next 7-8 years, if he stays healthy. Is he the RB to own? Well...I think it depends on your league format. If you're in a re-draft league, you may be waiting for awhile. As long as Greene is churning out 4-5 yards/carry, there's little-to-no reason for the coaching staff to replace him because, as I've said, he fits what the Titans want to do in taking pressure off Locker. (I do think that Sankey will be getting more carries as the season progresses and will likely be the "lead guy" by year's end, though I wouldn't be surprised if, even then, it's something like a 60/30/10 split between Sankey, Greene, and McCluster.) If you're in a keeper league, then yes...Sankey is your guy. Of course, everything is contingent on who stays healthy and for how long. Again...I'm as surprised as anyone that Greene is playing as well as he's playing, as I expected Sankey to get the lion's share of the carries from an early stage, but I'm not sure that that's how it's going to work out now.

(Here's a link to a recap of the Titans-Chiefs game by one of the smarter Titans online-analysts out there: http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/9/11/6132925/titans-chiefs-film-review-the-hype-is-real)

Basically...I don't mean to pick on your post. I just wanted to clarify some things, as the Titans are a small-market team that most fans only get to watch once a year (or in limited and, therefore, misleading doses on "Red Zone"). Furthermore, they often get misrepresented in the media by "experts" who, I'm sure, watch even less of them than the casual fan. (Seriously...the Titans were predicted by most "experts" as one of the very worst teams in the league this year, despite the fact that they were 7-9 last season and improved dramatically at the coaching positions and improved at every offensive/defensive position, except #2 CB. That was enough to tell me that most people just didn't watch this team play last year.) Long story short...the Titans OL has potential but is NOT great at this stage, and Greene (for all his warts) is actually playing well as a "fit" for this offense.

This is unfortunately incorrect on several levels.

First, the Titans OL is certainly NOT dominant, or, at least, they haven't looked dominant thus far against competitions (i.e. last season, this preseason, and week one against the Chiefs). Although the Titans have invested quite a bit in re-tooling the OL, they've yet to really gel as a unit and, as such, they haven't performed up to expectations yet. Even the "big names" like Levitre and Warmack have struggled. (Levitre got absolutely blown up a few times last week, and Warmack, while improving, also gets beat semi-regularly. They aren't even remotely close to the "best one-two OG punch" in the NFL.) Schwenke and Oher also struggle with consistency. Roos is still, by far, our best and most consistent OL -- though he's clearly lost a step (or two) from his younger days, when he was one of the most underrated and most dominant left OTs in the game. Lewan showed flashes in the preseason but also displayed the temper that is his recurring problem by earning some personal foul penalties, which will need to be cleaned up. However, for whatever reason, the popular sentiment -- propagated by outlets like ESPN -- is that the Titans have this fantastic OL. It's just not true. They are playing OK but aren't great by any stretch of the imagination. Fortunately, they still have the rest of the season to pull it together, and I'm optimistic that they can be a top 5 OL by the end (though they definitely aren't right now). This OL is young and talented and anything but beastly.

Second, Shonn Greene has played well this preseason and played well in week one as well. Do I expect Greene to run for 1,000 yards? Nope. Do I expect him to stay healthy all season? Nope. But right now, he's exactly what the coaching staff wants: A guy who will take what the DEF gives him and consistently gain 3-5 yards/carry. In that sense, he's the anti-Chris Johnson, who, in his final few seasons in Tennessee, would press too much and try to go for the big run rather than just taking the easy yards. (This, in turn, got the Titans offense into a lot of 2nd-and-9, 3rd-and-7 type situations -- which puts a lot of pressure on a young QB to perform.) Greene, on the other hand, has thus far shown that he'll pick the right hole and get the sure gain, putting Locker in more 2nd-and-6, 3rd-and-3 type situations, which this offense is more than capable of capitalizing on. Again, it's not an exciting run-strategy because it's unlikely that Greene breaks off any 20+ yarders; however, it's helping the offense to stay on the field longer and giving the defense more rest. Basically, Greene has made the Titans OL look good this preseason and in week one (and not the other way around), as crazy as it may sound to FFers.

Lastly, I agree that Sankey is a talented RB; and, as I said in another post, I think he's capable of being a "franchise" type RB for the Titans for the next 7-8 years, if he stays healthy. Is he the RB to own? Well...I think it depends on your league format. If you're in a re-draft league, you may be waiting for awhile. As long as Greene is churning out 4-5 yards/carry, there's little-to-no reason for the coaching staff to replace him because, as I've said, he fits what the Titans want to do in taking pressure off Locker. (I do think that Sankey will be getting more carries as the season progresses and will likely be the "lead guy" by year's end, though I wouldn't be surprised if, even then, it's something like a 60/30/10 split between Sankey, Greene, and McCluster.) If you're in a keeper league, then yes...Sankey is your guy. Of course, everything is contingent on who stays healthy and for how long. Again...I'm as surprised as anyone that Greene is playing as well as he's playing, as I expected Sankey to get the lion's share of the carries from an early stage, but I'm not sure that that's how it's going to work out now.

(Here's a link to a recap of the Titans-Chiefs game by one of the smarter Titans online-analysts out there: http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/9/11/6132925/titans-chiefs-film-review-the-hype-is-real)

Basically...I don't mean to pick on your post. I just wanted to clarify some things, as the Titans are a small-market team that most fans only get to watch once a year (or in limited and, therefore, misleading doses on "Red Zone"). Furthermore, they often get misrepresented in the media by "experts" who, I'm sure, watch even less of them than the casual fan. (Seriously...the Titans were predicted by most "experts" as one of the very worst teams in the league this year, despite the fact that they were 7-9 last season and improved dramatically at the coaching positions and improved at every offensive/defensive position, except #2 CB. That was enough to tell me that most people just didn't watch this team play last year.) Long story short...the Titans OL has potential but is NOT great at this stage, and Greene (for all his warts) is actually playing well as a "fit" for this offense.

This^

i don't understand the 'shonn greene sucks' mentality here... sure, from a fantasy point he is nothing to write home about, but if the titans are your team you should love this guy. He's a guy that doesn't waste a lot of cap space and gets the job done. If anything... Shonn Greene and the OL make eachother look good as he's moving the stick consistently. Not everyone needs to be a hall-of-famer, sometimes the most important guys are the ones who A.) don't command exorbitant sums of money B.) Do exactly what you want them to do

Shonn Greene sucks at fantasy football, which is the only thing of relevance to this website.

Looks like Mick set you straight. That post was all kind of off.

Lol... I stand by my take... Let's re-visit about mid-season shall we? All aboard the Shonne Greene bandwagon.

Lol... I stand by my take... Let's re-visit about mid-season shall we? All aboard the Shonne Greene bandwagon.

let's do it...

Greene is only 29 and averages 4.2 ypc... before his injury he was coming off back to back 1,000 yd seasons... he will produce if he stays healthy

i'd take him over trent richardson any day

• Like 1

let's do it...

Greene is only 29 and averages 4.2 ypc... before his injury he was coming off back to back 1,000 yd seasons... he will produce if he stays healthy

i'd take him over trent richardson any day

Ha ha ha ha... I'd take a deceased Walter Payton six feet under terra firma before I'd turn to Trent Richardson... Look, I'm really high on the Titans. Love what they're doing with Locker, and the kid Justin Hunter. That line IS a top tier NFL line. But if it was me, I'd want an RB with some big play potential. Or one who could stay consistent and healthy. At this stage in his career, I have zero faith in Shonne Greene showing either. He also ran behind a very good offensive line with the Jets. But hey, if he floats your boat as a Titans fan that's what matters. You pays your money you takes your choice.