Sign in to follow this  
Fozapd

Ryan Matthews still NOT cleared to run

With Oliver looking so good and Matthews not even running yet, is Ryan Matthews worth a roster spot? I added him a week ago but starting to think it might be a wrong move. Hyde is available so I'm thinking of cutting him loose.

Two more weeks . Oliver =sale high

This is the beginning of the end of his career in San Diego. He had a good year last year, but has generally been a bust. There is no chance he gets resigned, unless he plays for a Charger friendly contact. He simply can't stay healthy.

I see Oliver running away with the RB1 spot. He's everything the Chargers need. Powerful inside runner (can;t believe I'm saying that based on his size), durable (so far), cheap, and can play all 3 downs.

• Like 1

At worst I think Oliver has earned the Woodhead role - and we all know that was a fantasy fruitful role in the past. I think it will be more than that, though. Oliver can run inside - SD even tried Woodhead on inside running routes a couple of times - and I think that means that he takes at least 25% of the running snaps + all the RB receiving routes.

And that doesn't even consider the likelihood of another Mathews pinkie strain, and/or being awarded the starting job outright.

What will we be saying if Oliver has two more big weeks? If Oliver goes over 100 two more weeks do you think that will change anything with your thoughts on the Mathews/Oliver timeshare? I'm predicting Mathews comes back to a 60/40 split favoring Oliver. Then two weeks later Mathews gets injured.

I've seen a lot of people theorizing that Oliver could take the Woodhead role when Mathews comes back. Does anyone see it the other way around? Mathews is a decent pass catcher with good speed. I think he could become the 3rd down back when he returns to the line up.

I may be delusional, but I think this is still Mathews' job. Oliver looks really good, but I think Mathews is gonna come back and take his job. He looked good before going down in the brief moment we got to see him. We shall see....

I think the kid can seize this job no questions asked in the next couple weeks.

I think people say the same thing over and over and it's very rarely ever the case...

Bryce Brown was going to take McCoy's job last year. Rainey was taking Martin's. Knile Davis stealing touches from Charlres. Blue is the new Foster. West is better than Ben Tate blah blah. And on and on.

He would have replaced ALF in my lineup, and who knows where I'd be.

He'll return exactly when I can get Calvin back in my lineup.....when I have no chance to make a run.

Great season

I think people say the same thing over and over and it's very rarely ever the case...

Bryce Brown was going to take McCoy's job last year. Rainey was taking Martin's. Knile Davis stealing touches from Charlres. Blue is the new Foster. West is better than Ben Tate blah blah. And on and on.

Yeah obviously my post was a little lazy, I'll give you that. Basically was basing on the fact he took over a running game which was mired dead last in the NFL at 2.4 ypc. In his first game, against a tough Jets run defense, he put up combined rushing and receiving numbers not seen since LT in 2007. He followed that up with another solid effort, albeit against the Raiders. His TD plunge late in that game was crucial.

True the kid was undrafted, but the team did part ways with sixth round pick Marion Grice to protect him. He's not the fastest runner, but he gets to his top speed very quickly. He's got some size for a smaller back and he has some insane moves, which he says came from 'playing football in the backyard with brothers who were bigger and faster than him.'

When a team is desperate for success, as the Bolts are with their running game, they may be hesitant to make a change from what's working. I stand by my statement that if this kid puts up strong numbers the next few weeks, especially if he hits it big in Mile High Stadium against a tough Denver defense in a division game two weeks from now, that job is his.

Was just offered Ellington for Oilver.... Is this a no brainer accept?

yes easily. ellington already had his bye and he is the guy going forward for sure.

yes easily. ellington already had his bye and he is the guy going forward for sure.

Yeah I concur. Oliver still has a ways to prove anything.

Ellington has a nice schedule over the next few but I believe his playoff schedule is tough. Still go with Ellington as Oliver isn't a guarantee in like 2-3 weeks

Was just offered Ellington for Oilver.... Is this a no brainer accept?

wow jump on it. Steal!

My view on Oliver: He got the job midway in the game vs the Jets. A Jets team that had traveled across the country, different time zones, quarterback issues and an offence that had big trouble producing a single first down. The Jets defence was on the field most of the match, got tired and the game was a blow out early. Oliver looked good, but I can't give him any credit for this one. Also, look at what Hillman (!!!) and Vereen did against this defence....

Second match was against the Raiders. Enough said. He looked good, but I can't give him much credit for this one either.

So, I think Oliver MIGHT be good, but I dont feel like I know for sure just yet. He is probably better than Donald Brown. It looks like he will get another two starts before Mathews is back, so we'll hopefully get some more good data. I have no reason to expect a dud game by Oliver, but I dont feel confident in him being a new star either....R-E-L-A-X.

Mathews was projected to be out 4-6 weeks and according to Dr Jene Bramel the first week after the accident "this is a 4-6 week injury...no more...no less. And when he's back he'll be at 100% straight out of the gate". That means that if he played this week he would be on the early side of recovery time, and it being a short week before the Denver match he will probably miss that one as well. I dont expect the Chargers to hold him out over the bye week to let him "heal up", because there really is no reason to. When he's ready to run he's ready to run. When the injury happened he was expected back in week 8 or 9, and I still haven't seen any news giving us reason to change that estimation.

The Chargers also run the ball ALOT, so they will have no problem feeding both Mathews and Oliver, if Oliver continues to perform at a high level the next two weeks.

My prediction: Mathews returns in week 9 and get about 20 touches per game. Oliver stays in the mix with 10-15 touches per game.

I'm thinking the same thing he's looking like the future in SD. Only thing I fear is his running style will lead to injuries. Not a matter of if but when. Still very talented and fun to watch.