Sign in to follow this  
tigeru

Suh merely fined

According to NFL rules, a player who goes 32 games (including a maximum of two preseason games) without a violation is removed from the list. His history as a repeat offender was never cited.

Now if when he stepped on Rodgers he did serious damage what would their stance be? Probably different yet he still did it

He is gonna hurt someone someday

I am so focking pissed !!!!! He has made AR questionable now... Does that not affect their focking team !!!!!!!!!!!!! Focking idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if when he stepped on Rodgers he did serious damage what would their stance be? Probably different yet he still did it

He is gonna hurt someone someday

Or somebody is going to hurt him.

I am so focking pissed !!!!! He has made AR questionable now... Does that not affect their focking team !!!!!!!!!!!!! Focking idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was an accident man. Calm down.

I'm glad somebody with some common sense watched the tape of the non-incident. I'm amazed at how blown out of proportions this thing became. And then this, since he can't be held accountable for past indiscretions, there's absolute zero reason to fine/suspend him, that's assuming there was even reason to consider it in the first place.

I'm glad somebody with some common sense watched the tape of the non-incident. I'm amazed at how blown out of proportions this thing became. And then this, since he can't be held accountable for past indiscretions, there's absolute zero reason to fine/suspend him, that's assuming there was even reason to consider it in the first place.

You've never mounted anything close to a cogent defense of Suh. Your position on his actions is ridiculous. His suspension was lifted due to the gravity of the DAL/DET playoff game, and no other reason; least of all any rationale that Suh's actions were in any way innocent.

You've never mounted anything close to a cogent defense of Suh. Your position on his actions is ridiculous. His suspension was lifted due to the gravity of the DAL/DET playoff game, and no other reason; least of all any rationale that Suh's actions were in any way innocent.

I was the one who linked the video replay, here I'll do it for you again. That plus functioning eyeballs are all the cogent defense required. His suspension was lifted because he didn't do anything requiring a flag to be thrown let alone anything else.

The fine was put in for political correctness reasons. Suh has a well deserved reputation as a thug and people want to see him punished so they'll latch onto any excuse, even obviously fake ones like this, to express their anger with him.

I was the one who linked the video replay, here I'll do it for you again. That plus functioning eyeballs are all the cogent defense required. His suspension was lifted because he didn't do anything requiring a flag to be thrown let alone anything else.

The fine was put in for political correctness reasons. Suh has a well deserved reputation as a thug and people want to see him punished so they'll latch onto any excuse, even obviously fake ones like this, to express their anger with him.

"Political correctness"? Do you understand what that phrase means? :huh:

"Political correctness"? Do you understand what that phrase means? :huh:

Yes.

You take a fake controversy and pretend to be offended and pretend it's real. Throw in a hefty dose of fake media outrage. Then magically it becomes a real controversy to people even when it's clearly not.

So I think I used 'political correctness', er, correctly.

They can't just say "it's bullsh*t, nothing happened" and move on when they're talking about an incident between the golden boy of the league and the multiple-offender league pariah. Even when the evidence indicates it is total and complete bullsh*t. It's Suh, everybody hates him, he must be guilty. Click your ruby slippers together three times and 'say Suh is bad' and you can trick yourself into believing you see what you want to see.

But they also have eyes. So they split the difference.

For those looking for a cogent explanation, don't take it from me. Here's the ex-NFL rules czar to explain. As he points out, this is also the same opinion of the head official of the Lions/Packers game who saw the whole thing. Suh didn't even draw a penalty, which is 100% the correct call.

This is a media generated controversy.

Exactly. If this was Kyle Orton getting stepped on nobody would be talking about it. Yes I think Suh did it intentionally, just like what happens under the pile in every game every week. It's gamesmanship and its F-ing football. In 10 years the NFL is going to be the Premier League at this rate.

For those looking for a cogent explanation, don't take it from me. Here's the ex-NFL rules czar to explain. As he points out, this is also the same opinion of the head official of the Lions/Packers game who saw the whole thing. Suh didn't even draw a penalty, which is 100% the correct call.

This is a media generated controversy.

He didn't draw a penalty because what he did wasn't OBVIOUS. That does NOT mean that what he did wasn't DIRTY. It's like you wish to reward Suh merely for being more clever when he's being a thug.

The majority of posters in here can tell what he did was both dirty and intentional, and they can draw that conclusion from the video. He has a history of doing both. Beyond that, putting 300 pounds of pressure directly on Rodgers' fibula - particularly after knowing that Rodgers' leg was injured is additional reason to fine this thug.

Exactly. If this was Kyle Orton getting stepped on nobody would be talking about it. Yes I think Suh did it intentionally, just like what happens under the pile in every game every week. It's gamesmanship and its F-ing football. In 10 years the NFL is going to be the Premier League at this rate.

This is closer to the truth. It's only an issue because billionaires have millions of dollars invested in these players. Look back at some games from the 60 and 70s. You'll see late hits and brutal shots that barely ever got flagged or disciplined at all. In a lot of cases the brutality wasn't even illegal (head-slap, clothes-line) and the QBs got especially beat up.

LMAO at media created.

And using Pereira...a guy whos wrong more often than right when they bring him in to talk about reviews.

Gold Jerry...gold.

Yes.

You take a fake controversy and pretend to be offended and pretend it's real. Throw in a hefty dose of fake media outrage. Then magically it becomes a real controversy to people even when it's clearly not.

So I think I used 'political correctness', er, correctly.

They can't just say "it's bullsh*t, nothing happened" and move on when they're talking about an incident between the golden boy of the league and the multiple-offender league pariah. Even when the evidence indicates it is total and complete bullsh*t. It's Suh, everybody hates him, he must be guilty. Click your ruby slippers together three times and 'say Suh is bad' and you can trick yourself into believing you see what you want to see.

But they also have eyes. So they split the difference.

I think you're using the wrong term to describe what you think occurred. Perhaps you think it's due to "star treatment" or some such, but political correctness has nothing to do with it.

Yeah... the NFL has gotten out of hand a bit.... I agree... The whole GB/DET game literally turned around on the 4th and 13th Stafford head touch with :30 left that completely changed the momentum of the game.

In the end, it just kept DET from getting blown out earlier, but it could have made a dramatic difference if Rodgers didn't return.

However, I have yet to hear any Detroit LegStomper fans defending Suh cry about that weak-ass penalty.

I do think that intentionally placing 350 pounds down on a torn calf muscle with a cleat is something entirely different than touching a QB's head as you try to deflect a pass. And if you turn your head away from that because of some romantic feelings towards the '60s, then it's open season on quarterbacks and there will be "accidental" QB stompings by 330-pound men every single play.

Agree that quarterbacks are treated like princesses nowadays..... disagree that we should allow fat focks to step all over them on purpose with jagged cleats...

HTH! :doublethumbsup:

I thought Mike Golic had the best take on this. Is it a dirty play? Yes. Does something like this happen on every play at the bottom of every pile up? Yes. Basically if they aren't seen or fully comprehended by the ref then they aren't flagged. He had no problem with Suh being fined but felt that the suspension was ridiculous when the NFL even said they could not factor in his past history. Another bungled attempt the legislate outside the CBA by the NFL. I'm not sure who their lawyers are or if they can read, but they seem to have no regard for the CBA when attempting to hand out suspensions.

I thought Mike Golic had the best take on this. Is it a dirty play? Yes. Does something like this happen on every play at the bottom of every pile up? Yes. Basically if they aren't seen or fully comprehended by the ref then they aren't flagged. He had no problem with Suh being fined but felt that the suspension was ridiculous when the NFL even said they could not factor in his past history. Another bungled attempt the legislate outside the CBA by the NFL. I'm not sure who their lawyers are or if they can read, but they seem to have no regard for the CBA when attempting to hand out suspensions.

Not sure any of this is outside the CBA...they could, by the CBA suspend him for that step on the field. Arbitrator overruled but still fined him heavily.

And on Mensa's post...sure the head touching penalty was dumb. And those touchy calls need to go...but knowing the rules the idiot still kept his hand up after the ball was out and should know better. He gets no pass for being dumb and touching the QB's helmet enough for a ref to see the movement of the QBs head.

Not sure any of this is outside the CBA...they could, by the CBA suspend him for that step on the field. Arbitrator overruled but still fined him heavily.

And on Mensa's post...sure the head touching penalty was dumb. And those touchy calls need to go...but knowing the rules the idiot still kept his hand up after the ball was out and should know better. He gets no pass for being dumb and touching the QB's helmet enough for a ref to see the movement of the QBs head.

I didn't comment on Stafford's roughing call; I think that was Sho'Nuff?

Stuff that happens in a pile is no more acceptable, and if it was seen would also be eligible for personal foul penalties - as do actions from players such as Burfict.

Rodgers was quoted as saying that he would have expected that a player accidentally stepping on another player would first look back and/or apologize, and that is not what he believed happened - and he is correct. Rodgers' reaction was not to the initial step; it was to the second step and pressure.

Anyone who is attempting to claim that this was an accident can go ahead and try to explain to the rest of us how it could be an accident if Suh didn't look backwards to see what he was stepping on, and also didn't apologize.

I didn't comment on Stafford's roughing call; I think that was Sho'Nuff?

Stuff that happens in a pile is no more acceptable, and if it was seen would also be eligible for personal foul penalties - as do actions from players such as Burfict.

Rodgers was quoted as saying that he would have expected that a player accidentally stepping on another player would first look back and/or apologize, and that is not what he believed happened - and he is correct. Rodgers' reaction was not to the initial step; it was to the second step and pressure.

Anyone who is attempting to claim that this was an accident can go ahead and try to explain to the rest of us how it could be an accident if Suh didn't look backwards to see what he was stepping on, and also didn't apologize.

Donhaas...my bad...so rare to see him around.

Clearly, Suh knows how to play the game. It used to be that defensive players would always remind the QB of their presence by giving them a shot (even a bit late) any time they got close. Nowadays you have have to be careful even touching the QB during a live play. Suh figured out that it was safer to nonchalantly step on Rodgers well after the play was over. Still, this was nothing compared to the Charles Martin-Jim McMahon incident.....

Donhaas...my bad...so rare to see him around.

haha..... non-argumentative conservative-leaning Packer fanatics with very limited body fat.... Mensa and I get confused all the time :thumbsup:

His point was that unless you factor in his past, which the NFL admitted it could not do, that the suspension for a playoff game was unprecedented for a personal foul type infraction.

His point was that unless you factor in his past, which the NFL admitted it could not do, that the suspension for a playoff game was unprecedented for a personal foul type infraction.

Unprecedented does not mean its outside of the CBA though.

Unprecedented does not mean its outside of the CBA though.

I thought an early poster mentioned that infractions beyond 32 games cannot be taken into account - i personally didn't research that but the NFL did state that the penalty was NOT based on Suh's history that is was on this incident only. No arbitrator is not going to allow a fine/penalty to stand up that is way beyond typical fines/penalties for like infractions. So, while not outside the CBA per se, it was stupid to think that they could hold him to a standard that no other player is held to. Not defending Suh, I think he's clearly established himself as a dirty player, but the NFL doesn't seem to understand that the need to be consistent in their punishments.

Consistent...well, hard to be that given he got 2 games for the las time he stepped on a Packers player. Raiola hot a game for his. Seems 1 game would be consistent.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/12/30/detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-kelly-hall/21065433/

Apparently Matt Stafford doesn't warrant the same protection as Rodgers either.

I agree that the issue here is was more the participants than the actual incident itself. That's why I feel there was an initial over-reaction, Suh's reputation coupled with Rodgers elite status. Thus an improper penalty levied by the league. Even the VP of officiating felt the suspension was unwarranted.

Because Stafford's happened, i believe, in a scrum for a fumble and his wife or whatever is a crying moron.

Not an intentional stepping on to him.

Pretty easy yo see the difference.