Sign in to follow this  
frank

The best rivalry in sports is on ESPN Classic right now.

Rivalries are too regional to say one is the best. No one outside of Alabama cares about auburn/Alabama

Rivalries are too regional to say one is the best. No one outside of Alabama cares about auburn/Alabama

Honestly I don't care about either team. But what would you say the greatest rivalry is? I'm honestly curious as to what people would say about that.

Red Sox/Yankees. They play 18 times a year to full houses. Or almost full.

Playing that many times, the stakes are far too low for any one game. The worst defeat is often followed by another chance the next day. I can't imagine the fans care anywhere near as much on a game by game basis. Doesn't mean the rivalry isn't great, but there is nothing like Iron Bowl Day. At the very least, take all 18 of those games and compress them into 3 hours. Winner take all.

To some extent, you could say the same for any football rivalry. That's one of the things that makes it the best sport. Everything else has too many games.

Honestly I don't care about either team. But what would you say the greatest rivalry is? I'm honestly curious as to what people would say about that.

It depends on where you live.

South Carolina/Clemson is huge there

Ohio state /Michigan

Florida state/Florida

Etc..

That's just in college football, you have Yankees/Red Sox, bears/packers, and all the others

I don't think it's possible to have one to say as the best in sports

Ohio state /Michigan

Florida state/Florida

Etc..

That's just in college football, you have Yankees/Red Sox, bears/packers, and all the others

Agreed. Here in college football, ASU and Arizona hate each other with the passion of a 1000 burning suns. And it extends beyond the colleges; the cities just don't like each other. But I wouldn't presume to say that it is bigger than other in-state rivalries.

College basketball I would say Duke/NC is biggest. Kentucky/Louisville maybe next?

Yankees/Red Sox is probably the single biggest rivalry in sports these days.

The biggest I've ever experienced was Celtics/Lakers in the late 80s. Both teams were the class of their conference and you knew they would meet in the finals. Those series were awesome.

Playing that many times, the stakes are far too low for any one game. The worst defeat is often followed by another chance the next day. I can't imagine the fans care anywhere near as much on a game by game basis. Doesn't mean the rivalry isn't great, but there is nothing like Iron Bowl Day. At the very least, take all 18 of those games and compress them into 3 hours. Winner take all.

To some extent, you could say the same for any football rivalry. That's one of the things that makes it the best sport. Everything else has too many games.

A big 3 or 4 game series between the Red Sox and the Yankees late in the season? Nothing like it. I think you would have to experience it to know what I'm talking about. Granted, right now it's not that hot, but when it is, it's special.

A big 3 or 4 game series between the Red Sox and the Yankees late in the season? Nothing like it. I think you would have to experience it to know what I'm talking about. Granted, right now it's not that hot, but when it is, it's special.

Yeah, but make it one game. And it's the only one of the year. And it can make or break your championship chances.

Ohio state /Michigan

Florida state/Florida

Etc..

Oh it definitely depends on where you live. Here in SC the rivalry between Clemson and Carolina is HUGE. There's so much s*** talking it's unreal. My entire family is split on who they pull for which can make the rivalry game we have played at someone's house always fun.

Red Sox and Yankees is another big one I see. Since I pull for the Red Sox I always manage to watch the game and don't really like Yankees fans especially when they talk s***.

Not sure too much about basketball besides UNC and Duke. For football I see the Cowboys and the Redskins being a good rivalry especially with my family cause some pull for the Skins while others pull for the Cowboys.

Delineate between professional and college, or between sports if you will.

Perhaps the best of recent time is Auburn/Alabama, Red Sox/Yankees or Ravens/Steelers.

Going back it might be different.

NHl comes and goes, Rangers Devils was hot back in the day, but for all time rivalry I would say Bruins /Canadiens? And the Eagles/Giants rivalry is more intense than Eagles/Cowboys. What you have to remember is that in the NFC East everyone hates the Cowboys equally. As far as best NFL rivalry, there are so many, and it changes a lot. Right now I would have to say Ravens/Steelers, but Colts/Patriots is right there.

NHl comes and goes, Rangers Devils was hot back in the day, but for all time rivalry I would say Bruins /Canadiens? And the Eagles/Giants rivalry is more intense than Eagles/Cowboys. What you have to remember is that in the NFC East everyone hates the Cowboys equally. As far as best NFL rivalry, there are so many, and it changes a lot. Right now I would have to say Ravens/Steelers, but Colts/Patriots is right there.

flyers/pens has moved from a regional rivalry to a national one, everyone knows it brings the heat every time

boys/eagles is much more heated than giants/birds

flyers/pens has moved from a regional rivalry to a national one, everyone knows it brings the heat every time

boys/eagles is much more heated than giants/birds

Well, the NFL network runs an hour long show about the Giants/Eagles rivalry, not Eagles/cowboys.

Well, the NFL network runs an hour long show about the Giants/Eagles rivalry, not Eagles/cowboys.

well the giants/birds rivalry is much older, but not better

well the giants/birds rivalry is much older, but not better

Eye of the beholder I guess. But the only Cowboys Eagles game that really sticks out to me is the body bag game. I'm sure there are more, but that's the one I think of. And I guess booing Irvin when he was on a stretcher, but that's a good thing.

Eye of the beholder I guess. But the only Cowboys Eagles game that really sticks out to me is the body bag game. I'm sure there are more, but that's the one I think of. And I guess booing Irvin when he was on a stretcher, but that's a good thing.

i think a ff rivalry poll would be pretty cool

list 4 or 5 top rivalries from each sport and let everyone vote

I think Ohio State-Michigan is the top historical College Football rivalry.

Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale are also events that go beyond football.

The biggest NFL rivalries change decade by decade. Bears-Packers is the oldest but I don't remember many years when both teams were good at the same time and I've been watching NFL football since the early 70's. Raiders-Steelers was a good one at one time. Colts-Patriots was a good recent one but has lost some luster with Manning gone. jets-Pats is a hated rivalry but it's been pretty one sided.

Yankees-Red Sox, Dodgers-Giants and Cardinal-Cubs are the biggest baseball rivals

Lakers-Celtics are NBA's biggest historical rivals as they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league in championships.

In NHL: Montreal-Boston have met in more playoff series than any teams in any sport and always seem to have bitter battles.

Lol I didn't even know cardinals-cubs was a thing. not a rivalry, no one cares.

It's manning vs Brady, not colts vs pats. The one rivalry that transcends teams.

To me a rivalry has to have postseason oomph. I consider the cowboys biggest rivalry to be with the 9ers from the 90s, not the division.

Lakers-celtics biggest nba. Modern day biggest is Lebron vs the league.

Yankees-sox far and away biggest rivalry. Dont care if they play 50 meaningless games a year. I'm not even a baseball fan and I feel the rivalry there.

College fb is completely regional.

Lol I didn't even know cardinals-cubs was a thing. not a rivalry, no one cares.

time to bump dumbest post thread.

You seriously didn't know that? Do you have TV?

No one cares and Iv never heard anyone talk about it. Cubs are a non franchise. I'm aware that they both play baseball I. The same league...I'm mocking the idea of a rivalry between them being a thing.

No one cares and Iv never heard anyone talk about it. Cubs are a non franchise.

Yep, non franchise that most teams would kill for their attendance number and been around since 1876.

I get that it WAS a great rivalry, a long time ago. The Cubs have been irrelevant for about 10 years now. Sorry, the NL central is the most boring division in baseball, has been for a while.

Yep, non franchise that most teams would kill for their attendance number and been around since 1876.

I may have been too harsh on the poor cubbies. It's just they are famous for 2 things. Historically bad championship drought and that stupid Bartman guy.

I may have been too harsh on the poor cubbies. It's just they are famous for 2 things. Historically bad championship drought and that stupid Bartman guy.

That's it

I think Ohio State-Michigan is the top historical College Football rivalry.

Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale are also events that go beyond football.

The biggest NFL rivalries change decade by decade. Bears-Packers is the oldest but I don't remember many years when both teams were good at the same time and I've been watching NFL football since the early 70's. Raiders-Steelers was a good one at one time. Colts-Patriots was a good recent one but has lost some luster with Manning gone. jets-Pats is a hated rivalry but it's been pretty one sided.

Yankees-Red Sox, Dodgers-Giants and Cardinal-Cubs are the biggest baseball rivals

Lakers-Celtics are NBA's biggest historical rivals as they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league in championships.

In NHL: Montreal-Boston have met in more playoff series than any teams in any sport and always seem to have bitter battles.

I was in college in Boston in the late 80s and what got me into hockey was those Boston vs Montreal playoff series. More often than not both benches ended up on the ice fighting to the death, which you can't do anymore. Ah, the good old days. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was in college in Boston in the late 80s and what got me into hockey was those Boston vs Montreal playoff series. More often than not both benches ended up on the ice fighting to the death, which you can't do anymore. Ah, the good old days. :thumbsup:

I bet that was awesome to watch. Haven't made it to a Bruins game yet but I'm dying to go to one.

Montreal and Philly had some memorable battles as well. claude Lemieux instigated one BEFORE the game when there were no refs on the ice and all hell broke loose. There are no limits to how many guys can take the pregame skate, so Mike Keenan had 24 skaters on for warmups and the Habs had the usual 18, making the fight that much more lopsided. I know there are a couple 10 minute plus clips of it on youtube, but I cant get on the site to link them.

And the Eagles/Giants rivalry is more intense than Eagles/Cowboys.

Maybe in NY - but not here in Dallas. In fact most Cowboys fans here would rather go on the road and beat the Igs in Philly than Eli in MetLIfe.

Philly is definitely our biggest rival right now... As good as it is - I miss the days when Cowboys/Skins was it.

Maybe in NY - but not here in Dallas. In fact most Cowboys fans here would rather go on the road and beat the Igs in Philly than Eli in MetLIfe.

Philly is definitely our biggest rival right now... As good as it is - I miss the days when Cowboys/Skins was it.

Over the past few years, sure.

Over the past few years, sure.

Again - maybe in NY you guys consider us your rival.... The Giants have been many things to Cowboys fans: an opponent, an obstacle, a menace and a division foe. But they have never been our "rival" . I've been a fan since '74 - for years and years it was the Skins. The great battles with Landry and Allen, Doomsday v. the Hogs and on and on. Unfortunately Washington started to suck and the Iggs stepped into the picture - and that's where it's at now.

I can tell you this - even as a division foe, most Cowboys fans respected NY to some degree. Part of it was the Mara family and the class they carried, the other part was that Landry came from there. But we never loathed the Giants the way we do Philly. The hatred that exists today is mostly bcoz of Eli - fans here can't stand his "dumb face" "pouty" look, nor the fact he seems to own Jerry World whenever he comes.

I will tell you another thing - Cowboy fans have never feared the Giants... As nauseating as it is to say - we have feared the Igs from time to time.

Again - maybe in NY you guys consider us your rival.... The Giants have been many things to Cowboys fans: an opponent, an obstacle, a menace and a division foe. But they have never been our "rival" . I've been a fan since '74 - for years and years it was the Skins. The great battles with Landry and Allen, Doomsday v. the Hogs and on and on. Unfortunately Washington started to suck and the Iggs stepped into the picture - and that's where it's at now.

I can tell you this - even as a division foe, most Cowboys fans respected NY to some degree. Part of it was the Mara family and the class they carried, the other part was that Landry came from there. But we never loathed the Giants the way we do Philly. The hatred that exists today is mostly bcoz of Eli - fans here can't stand his "dumb face" "pouty" look, nor the fact he seems to own Jerry World whenever he comes.

I will tell you another thing - Cowboy fans have never feared the Giants... As nauseating as it is to say - we have feared the Igs from time to time.

I didn't say we consider you our rival. A rival, yes. We consider the Eagles our rival, seeing as both teams are about 90 minutes apart and half of New Jersey are Eagles fans.

I didn't say we consider you our rival. A rival, yes. We consider the Eagles our rival, seeing as both teams are about 90 minutes apart and half of New Jersey are Eagles fans.

Good point.. But you did say Dal/NY is a more intense rivalry than Dal/Phi - which simply isn't the case.