Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Vikings and Arian Peterson restructure contract.

The vikings have agreed to restructure Adrian Peterson's contract.

I dont have a link, but i got an alert from Yahoo sportacular on this.

As long as it lessens the Cap Hit each year, I am fine with whatever they gave him in Guaranteed Money.

Still think the Vikes blew a gigantic opportunity to deal AP earlier in exchange for draft picks - but this is prolly a good deal for both sides all the way around.

Still think the Vikes blew a gigantic opportunity to deal AP earlier in exchange for draft picks - but this is prolly a good deal for both sides all the way around.

If they could have traded him for a first or an early second, I think they should have taken the offer.

But, at the same time, I can't completely blame them for not dealing AD. With him in the backfield, that's going to take a LOT of pressure off Bridgewater. If a year or two of AD is the difference between a franchise QB and a David Carr-esque shell shocked QB, keeping him is the right choice.

• Like 1

If they could have traded him for a first or an early second, I think they should have taken the offer.

But, at the same time, I can't completely blame them for not dealing AD. With him in the backfield, that's going to take a LOT of pressure off Bridgewater. If a year or two of AD is the difference between a franchise QB and a David Carr-esque shell shocked QB, keeping him is the right choice.

because of the large sum of cash on the contract and his age, I would question whether the offer for him was that good.

I suspect the thing that made him untradeable was likely the large cap hit.

because of the large sum of cash on the contract and his age, I would question whether the offer for him was that good.

I suspect the thing that made him untradeable was likely the large cap hit.

Massive cap hit if a team were to trade for him and then keep him on the roster. $14+ million next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/21/adrian-petersons-base-deal-pays-43-million-over-three-years/

Before Tuesday, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was due to make $44.75 million non-guaranteed over the next three years. Now, Peterson is due to make less — but he’s likely to earn a lot more of it, with the Vikings or someone else.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Peterson’s new contract has a base value of $44 million over the next three years.

For 2015, Peterson’s $12.75 million base salary (and unearned $250,000 roster bonus) becomes an $11 million base salary that is fully guaranteed, with a $2 million roster bonus due to be paid on July 28.

For 2016, Peterson will earn a base salary of $7.75 million, $7 million of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing. The rest of it becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2016 league year. Also on the third day of the league year, Peterson earns a $5 million roster bonus.

For 2017, Peterson will earn a base salary of $11.75 million, with a $6 million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year.

In both 2016 and 2017, Peterson can earn another $250,000 by participating in the OTA practices and mandatory minicamps.

The Vikings will be a far, far better team in 2015 and 2016 with AD than they would have been with whatever draft pick(s) they could've gotten for him. That's the bottom line and why they chose not to trade him.

The Vikings will be a far, far better team in 2015 and 2016 with AD than they would have been with whatever draft pick(s) they could've gotten for him. That's the bottom line and why they chose not to trade him.

That's about a $45m gamble/prediction - hopefully it pans out... But the odds say that betting the farm on 30+ year of Rbs is not sound football sense. I understand AP is a special back - but is the surrounding cast around him really all that "close" to contending? If not, then it was a bad decision to not build for the future - since the future is where your best shot to be good is anyways.

I have a theory: there's a reason teams who've never won a SB, never win SBs. And it usually starts up top.

That's about a $45m gamble/prediction - hopefully it pans out... But the odds say that betting the farm on 30+ year of Rbs is not sound football sense. I understand AP is a special back - but is the surrounding cast around him really all that "close" to contending? If not, then it was a bad decision to not build for the future - since the future is where your best shot to be good is anyways.

I have a theory: there's a reason teams who've never won a SB, never win SBs. And it usually starts up top.

Is APs cap hit really going to prevent the vikes from signing anyone they need to? Their qb isnt taking up much cap space at all.

Is APs cap hit really going to prevent the vikes from signing anyone they need to? Their qb isnt taking up much cap space at all.

I don't know - the details of his deal have not been disclosed.

This is what I do know:

* The Vikes were 7-9 last year. - the Vikes have had 1 winning season in the past 5 years - the Vikes obviously need lots of something. That takes $$ - and paying a lot of it to 30+ year old rb isn't going to help.

* Bridgewater is 22 years old - is AP going to be here and worth the kind of $$ he's going to be making when Teddy and rest finally put it all together?

* I'd rather have draft picks, all of about the same age as my franchise Qb - to grow into a team of the future than a 30+ year old superstar Rb.

I don't know - the details of his deal have not been disclosed.

This is what I do know:

* The Vikes were 7-9 last year. - the Vikes have had 1 winning season in the past 5 years - the Vikes obviously need lots of something. That takes $$ - and paying a lot of it to 30+ year old rb isn't going to help.

* Bridgewater is 22 years old - is AP going to be here and worth the kind of $$ he's going to be making when Teddy and rest finally put it all together?

* I'd rather have draft picks, all of about the same age as my franchise Qb - to grow into a team of the future than a 30+ year old superstar Rb.

From everything i heard the Vikes werent being offered any high draft picks with APs high contract. We also havent seen teams win with a bunch of free agents who get money thrown at them. I agree his contract is very expensive, but using that money on FAs doesnt usually put a team over the top unless its a Revis type player.

From everything i heard the Vikes werent being offered any high draft picks with APs high contract. We also havent seen teams win with a bunch of free agents who get money thrown at them. I agree his contract is very expensive, but using that money on FAs doesnt usually put a team over the top unless its a Revis type player.

I would have taken what I could have gotten. So you don't get two 1st or whatever - you take what you can get. I would have angled for a 2nd this year, a 2nd next year and possibly a 4th or 5th.

As far as the money... Jerry Jones is famous for saying down here, "Keep your powder dry." It makes a lot of sense if you know what he means.

I would have taken what I could have gotten. So you don't get two 1st or whatever - if you take what you can get. I would have angled for a 2nd this year, a 2nd next year and possibly a 4th or 5th.

As far as the money... Jerry Jones is famous for saying down here, "Keep your powder dry." It makes a lot of sense if you know what he means.

You are assuming the Vikes could have even gotten 2 2nds. The word was teams didnt even want to give up 1 second. Its mostly speculation so who really knows. Plus the Vikes can cut Peterson after this year without paying him a dime if they do it before the 3rd day of the new league year.

You are assuming the Vikes could have even gotten 2 2nds. The word was teams didnt even want to give up 1 second. Its mostly speculation so who really knows. Plus the Vikes can cut Peterson after this year without paying him a dime if they do it before the 3rd day of the new league year.

We'll never know what the Vikings could have gotten because they didn't want to get rid of him. If they did, they could have let teams try to negotiate a new contract with him (as they did with Percy Harvin). A lower contract would mean more a team would be willing to give up in a trade. Instead, they refused to let teams talk to him.

If I'm understanding it correctly (according to I. Rapoport) - AP's $13m salary this year is guaranteed, as well as at least $7m for 2016... So even if they release him prior to the 3rd day of the NFL league year - he will still collect $7m - and a total of $20m for the combined '15 & '16 seasons.

So if the Vikes keep him - he will have collected $26m for the next 2 years - with still the looming problem of having to shell out a possible total of $18m for 2017... That in itself is crazy... Then if the Vikes cut him - then all of this will have been for not and the Vikes will have not only blown a golden opportunity to get draft picks, but spent a crap load of money treading water.... Like I said - this is why some teams never get out of the pool of mediocrity.

If I'm understanding it correctly (according to I. Rapoport) - AP's $13m salary this year is guaranteed, as well as at least $7m for 2016... So even if they release him prior to the 3rd day of the NFL league year - he will still collect $7m - and a total of $20m for the combined '15 & '16 seasons.

So if the Vikes keep him - he will have collected $26m for the next 2 years - with still the looming problem of having to shell out a possible total of $18m for 2017... That in itself is crazy... Then if the Vikes cut him - then all of this will have been for not and the Vikes will have not only blown a golden opportunity to get draft picks, but spent a crap load of money treading water.... Like I said - this is why some teams never get out of the pool of mediocrity.

If they cut him before the 3rd day they owe him zero gauranteed money. The $7 mill is only guaranteed if he is on the roster the third day.

From what I saw, that 7 million is guaranteed for injury only until the 3rd day of the league year. Then it becomes fully guaranteed.

If they cut him before the 3rd day they owe him zero gauranteed money. The $7 mill is only guaranteed if he is on the roster the third day.

It sounds like a $5m roster bonus kicks in after the 3rd day of the League year.... So on the 4th day - he's guaranteed another full $13m for 2016.

I think his first game is against my 49ers. Not looking forward to playing against him. I expect a big year from AP

I think his first game is against my 49ers. Not looking forward to playing against him. I expect a big year from AP

What's your jersey number ?

I heard pretty much the same.

The vikings may have traded him if the draft picks offered were substantial, but my understanding is that they were not.

given the size of the cap hit, there are only a handful of teams that can afford to take on a contract like his.

Furthermore, if you dont think ADP is a player that can win you the superbowl this year or next, why would you take a contract like this and pay the price of a high draft pick to do it?

My understanding is that the Cowboys were the only team showing any real interest, and the offer from them wasnt great.

I'd be very surprised if the offer was anything better than a 3rd round pick.

The only way the vikes get more is if the contract is reworked.

That being said, ADP doesnt win the vikes the superbowl unless Bridgewater steps up like a young Dan Marino once did for Miami.

But what he does do, is he takes a lot of pressure off a young Teddy Bridgewater and allows him to develop as a player more quickly. So Keeping him isnt a terrible move for the vikings. That being said, (Hypothetically) if the best offer out there was a 3rd round pick I would choose to keep ADP for the reason stated above as your investment in Bridgewater is substantial, and his development is important to the long term health of the team.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the Cowboys were the only team showing any real interest, and the offer from them wasnt great.

What offer? There was no offer - Dallas never spoke to Minny nor AP....AP is/was under contract - speaking to him, or anyone in his camp, would have been tampering and violation of NFL rules.

What offer? There was no offer - Dallas never spoke to Minny nor AP....AP is/was under contract - speaking to him, or anyone in his camp, would have been tampering and violation of NFL rules.

lol wake up buttercup, tampering happens all the time. you think tampering didn't happen w Philly/STL deal for Bradford? technically ANY 'exploratory' conversation is tampering.

lol wake up buttercup, tampering happens all the time. you think tampering didn't happen w Philly/STL deal for Bradford? technically ANY 'exploratory' conversation is tampering.

Oh, I see - you're one of the sheep that saw the headline "AP would like to play for Dallas" and concluded there must have been collusion..... Got it, Buttercup.. What's the update on Bigfoot - been captured yet?

• Like 1