Sign in to follow this  
Frank   M

The Tide of History Flows Left

Sorry, conservatives. Liberals always win.

:thumbsup:

One of my history-minded friends has a long-range political view summed up in three words: Liberals always win. Complex social struggles may take centuries or decades, he says, but they eventually bring victory for human rights, more democratic liberties and other progressive goals.

Look how long it took to end slavery. Generations of agitation and the horrible Civil War finally brought triumph for liberal abolitionists and defeat for conservative slavery supporters.

Look how long it took for women to gain the right to vote. In the end, liberal suffragettes prevailed, conservative opponents lost.

Look at the long battle to give couples the right to practice birth control. Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger was jailed eight times for the crime of mentioning sex — but she eventually transformed U.S. society. A Supreme Court victory in 1965 struck down contraceptive bans for married couples, and a follow-up victory in 1972 struck them down for unwed ones. Liberals won, conservatives lost.

The same pattern applies to the struggle for Social Security pensions for retirees — and unemployment compensation for the jobless — and equality for blacks — and Medicare and Medicaid — and equality for women — and food stamps for needy families — and expanded health insurance under the Affordable Care Act — and equality for gays — etc. These stormy social conflicts ended the same way: Liberals always win. Conservatives always lose.

Of course, history doesn’t move in a clear, predictable manner. Germany was advanced and modern — yet it sank into the horrors of Nazism. Other setbacks occur. But the overall tide of civilization flows in a progressive direction.

In his landmark book, “The Better Angels of Our Nature,” Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker concludes that all sorts of human evils — war, genocide, murder, rape, torture, dueling, wife-bashing, attacks on minorities, etc. — have faded enormously from the Western world. International warfare has virtually vanished. Pursuit of such humane goals lies at the heart of the liberal agenda.

When I first became a news reporter in the 1950s, conservative Bible Belt morality was enforced by laws. It was a crime for stores to open on the Sabbath. It was a crime to look at the equivalent of a Playboy magazine, or to read a sexy book. (Our mayor once sent cops to raid bookstores selling “Peyton Place”.)

Back then, it was a felony to be gay, and those who were caught were sent to prison under old sodomy laws. Back then, it was a felony for a desperate girl to end a pregnancy. It was illegal for an unmarried couple to share a bedroom. Divorce or unwed pregnancy was an unmentionable disgrace. Jews weren’t allowed into Christian-only country clubs. Public schools had mandatory teacher-led prayer. It was a crime to buy a cocktail or a lottery ticket.

That world disappeared, decade after decade. The culture slowly evolved. Sunday “blue laws” were undone. Teacher-led prayers were banned. Gay sex became legal. Liquor clubs were approved. Abortion became legal. State governments became lottery operators. Censorship ended. Other conservative taboos gradually disappeared.

Within my lifetime, morality flip-flopped. Conservative thou-shalt-nots lost their grip on society. Liberals won — yet it happened so gradually that hardly anyone noticed.

For several decades, the strongest indicator of politics was church membership. White evangelicals voted overwhelmingly for Mitt Romney. People who don’t attend worship voted overwhelmingly for Barack Obama. The latter became the largest group in the Democratic Party base.

Today, survey after survey finds American church membership fading, while the young generation ignores religion. Sociologists think the secular trend is unstoppable. People who say their faith is “none” already comprise one-fourth of the adult population — 56 million Americans — and they seem destined someday to be the largest segment. The social tide is flowing away from conservative fundamentalism and its Puritanical agenda.

All these factors support my friend’s maxim that liberals always win. The progressive worldview is called humanism — trying to make life better for all people — and it’s a powerful current. In 1960, John F. Kennedy said in a famed speech:

“If by a ‘liberal’ they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reaction, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties — …then I’m proud to say that I’m a liberal.”

Amid all the chaos and confusion of daily life, through a thousand contradictory barrages, the struggle for a safer, fairer, more secure, more humane world never ceases. Thank heaven for progressive victories that keep on prevailing.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/health/the-tide-of-history-flows-left/article_f64feb6f-9ab9-5bae-8195-bd72cd4c5f6c.html

ROLL TIDE!

If only the social progress could continue without the fiscal irresponsibility

The word "unaccountability" pretty much spans the spectrum here.

That is the new America.

It is ALWAYS someone else's fault.

Crash your car into a tree? Someone else's fault.

Drink too much? someone else's fault.

Spend far too much than you have and go 20,000 into debt? Someone else's fault.

Buy a house you can never afford and lose it? Someone else's fault.

That's true, it pretty much spans all politicians from right to left.

Abe Lincloln was a Repbulican. Just sayin'. Much like how some people are trying to change history and mold it to fit their world view, this article seems to be doing the same.

This article speaks less to Democrat versus Republican and even Progressive ideas versus Conservative ideas as a whole.

This article speaks to how the Christian Fundies are losing moral battles over time on Social Issues. Which I don't actually have a problem with.

It's why I'm Socially Moderate and Fiscally Conservative. :)

Me too, for the most part. as should any sane person be

Just because all they care about is their own skin in the next election. just have to placate some rubes and I get to keep my cushy job with sweet benefits, ok..

Yeah, because George Bush did such a fantastic job on the deficit.

Yeah, because George Bush did such a fantastic job on the deficit.

Senior tried, but he got arsenic Halled out of the job, the rest just kicked the proverbial can down the road

Senior tried, but he got arsenic Halled out of the job, the rest just kicked the proverbial can down the road

I know, right? I hate it when I get arsenic halled!

I think many people claim this.

Im probably further left socially...but still fiscally conservative.

But to be moderate...I would think you would fall left on some social issue. I have yet to see you do that.

I know, right? I hate it when I get arsenic halled!

Autocorrect arsenio, but you get my point

History does move in a liberal direction but that only goes until they've achieved what they wanted, maxed it out, and sinnce they had the political power to affect those changes, get carried away and don't know when to stop. So then there's overreach that needs a reverse correction and goes more conservative.

What I'm thinking of here is:

1. Speech Codes and Political Correctness
  2. Revising history to put a liberal spin on things
  3. Hippies
  4. White Guilt, white shaming, and fooling yourself into thinking 'white privileged' exists
  5. The pussification of America
  6. Soft-hand treatment for illegal immigrants
  7. Accepting out of wedlock births as normal and acceptable behavior
  8. Affirmative Craption
  9. Overdoing gay rights like forcing unwilling businesses in the wedding planning industry to service gay weddings
  10. Making excuses for the excesses of Islam
  11. Occupy Wall Street
  12. Black Lives Matter
  13. Government Overregulation
  14. I'm trying hard to think of two more because I want to stop at 15 rather than 13
  15. Subsidizing bad decisions
  16. The rights of men in divorce hearings

I think many people claim this.

Im probably further left socially...but still fiscally conservative.

But to be moderate...I would think you would fall left on some social issue. I have yet to see you do that.

Moderate for me, means...... I don't give a fock. It means when I rank where a candidate stands on all the issues, social issues rank at the bottom of the "how much do I care" meter.

Also, I'm for stricter gun control and am okay with aboriton being legal (although highly regulated). Weed should be legal too (also highly regulated like liquor). I'm for the decriminilazation of non selling drug offenses. I voted FOR, as in went to a voting booth and voted for ghey marraige in my state.

But at the end of the day, all the other things (economics, business, global policies, etc.) in politics and government grab my attention span more, which is why I hardly ever vote Democrat.

They have 1 goal, to get elected or re-elected. Take that away and see what we get. My guess is voting with conscience.

Abe Lincloln was a Repbulican. Just sayin'. Much like how some people are trying to change history and mold it to fit their world view, this article seems to be doing the same.

This article speaks less to Democrat versus Republican and even Progressive ideas versus Conservative ideas as a whole.

This article speaks to how the Christian Fundies are losing moral battles over time on Social Issues. Which I don't actually have a problem with.

Conservative politicians haven't gotten this message yet.

Moderate for me, means...... I don't give a fock. It means when I rank where a candidate stands on all the issues, social issues rank at the bottom of the "how much do I care" meter.

Also, I'm for stricter gun control and am okay with aboriton being legal (although highly regulated). Weed should be legal too (also highly regulated like liquor). I'm for the decriminilazation of non selling drug offenses. I voted FOR, as in went to a voting booth and voted for ghey marraige in my state.

But at the end of the day, all the other things (economics, business, global policies, etc.) in politics and government grab my attention span more, which is why I hardly ever vote Democrat.

Moderate means it ranks low? Well, now you are basically redefining it.

So you are still mostly conservative socially, its just lower on the totem pole on a candidate (which is should be...fiscal issues and foreign policy should rank over those)

And I too have typically voted for more R's than D's when it comes to nationally. Though, that has not worked out all that well for fiscal responsibility and conservative fiscal policy either.

If something contradicts their holy book, or if they think it does, they'll feel compelled to fight to the bitter end and then piss and moan for another few generations after they lose in a desperate bid to try to reverse things.

It's just how it goes.

Look, it's the one thing I disagree with sometimes from the the party I normally vote for. It's why a Rick Santorum and a Mike Huckabee fall way down to the bottom on my GOP cheatsheet. Well below the Rand Pauls and Jeb Bush's and John Kasichs.

Ted Cruz is the one fundamental christian conservative that intrigues me just a bit. I think he is really, really smart on everything else. I would hold my nose and vote for him if it came to that. But the Santorums and Huckabees and those guys are last on my list.

Moderate means it ranks low? Well, now you are basically redefining it.

So you are still mostly conservative socially, its just lower on the totem pole on a candidate (which is should be...fiscal issues and foreign policy should rank over those)

And I too have typically voted for more R's than D's when it comes to nationally. Though, that has not worked out all that well for fiscal responsibility and conservative fiscal policy either.

If you haven't noticed yet, KSB likes to portray himself as a moderate common-sense aw geez folks kinda guy, when in fact he is reliably pretty far right on most issues

Ted Cruz is the one fundamental christian conservative that intrigues me just a bit. I think he is really, really smart on everything else.

“The moon might be as intimidating as Obamacare.”

“I will credit my father, he invented … green eggs and ham. He did it two ways. The easy way was he would put green food coloring in … But if you take spinach and mix it into the eggs, the eggs turn green … I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I am.”

“I WAS BITTEN BY AN OCTOPUS”
“Net Neutrality” is Obamacare for the Internet; the Internet should not operate at the speed of government.”
"Twenty years from now if there is some obscure trivial pursuit question, I am confident I will be the answer.”
“I’LL WORK WITH MARTIANS”
“But a Camel’s hair brush is made of squirrel fur, and it makes you wonder the squirrels apparently have a very bad marketing department.”
“We have never had a president who over and over again openly, aggressively defies the law. If he doesn’t like the law, he refuses to enforce it, or he simply proclaims it changed.”

:lol: :wacko: :wtf:

:lol: :wacko: :wtf:

Come on edjr. I'm going to assume some of those quotes were jokes, said in a joking manner or taken a bit out of context. And don't get me wrong, Ted Cruz is not who I would vote for in a Primary. He's not in my top 5. But to say the guy isn't smart is kinda dumb.

He graduated Cum Laude from Princeton, Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law, and has a really impressive legal and political resume'.

I know you are used to graduating cum loud in hotel rooms with strippers but that's not what we are talking about here.

Come on edjr. I'm going to assume some of those quotes were jokes, saind in a joking manner or taken a bit out of context. And don't get me wrong, Ted Cruz is not who I would vote for in a Primary. He's not in my top 5. But to say the guy isn't smart is kinda dumb.

He graduated ###### Laude from Princeton, Magna ###### Laude from Harvard Law, and has a really impressive legal and political resume'.

I know you are used to graduatin ###### loud in hotel rooms with strippers but that's not what we are talking about here.

Book smart doesn't mean sh1t.

The dude is a focking kook.

Herman Cain is a friggin Dr, and some of the s*** that comes out of his mouth is just batshit crazy.

Herman Cain is a friggin Dr, and some of the s*** that comes out of his mouth is just batshit crazy.

I think you have your black dudes wrong. Ben Carson is the Dr.

Even worse, he sells pizza!

I think you have your black dudes wrong. Ben Carson is the Dr.

Darn it, all those black Republicans look alike!

Darn it, all those black Republicans look alike!