Sign in to follow this  
brotherbock

Andrew Luck day to day with shoulder injury - Questionable

Per Rotoworld:

Andrew Luck (shoulder) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Luck is dealing with some soreness in his right (throwing) shoulder and didn't attempt any passes Wednesday in front of the media. He stood off to the side, while Matt Hasselbeck took the reps with the starters. Practice-squadder Alex Tanney worked with the twos. It's something to monitor throughout the week, but the Colts have "supreme confidence" Luck plays against the Jaguars.

Not worth mentioning. Everyone is sore, this is not a drew brees situation.

Well, I (obviously) disagree that it's not worth mentioning. :)

Last year, nah. Notice it, and if he practices later, no worries. I'm not even worried now, myself. But with people already wondering whether he's startable week to week--an injury that keeps him from throwing at all, bumping a practice squad guy up to the second squad--that's notable, at least. Someone who has a closely ranked option may find this very important. YMMV.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13779030/indianapolis-colts-quarterback-andrew-luck-day-day-shoulder-injury

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Coltsquarterback Andrew Luck is day-to-day with a right shoulder injury, coach Chuck Pagano said Wednesday.

Pagano said he has "supreme confidence" that Luck will play in Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Luck took part in warm-ups but only handed the ball off to running backs during individual drills. His right shoulder is his throwing shoulder. Backup quarterback Matt Hasselbecktook the majority of the throws to receivers T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief. Quarterback Alex Tanney, signed to the practice squad Tuesday, also threw in practice.

I'm not worried about it... although, luck is my only qb in a fairly deep league...

plan on riding him to victory... or to go down in a fiery, bloddy crash of dispair

It is worth keeping any eye on. He didnt even throw a pass at Wednesday or Thursday practice. I posted a thread about it already but it was pushed down.

I'm not worried about it... although, luck is my only qb in a fairly deep league...

plan on riding him to victory... or to go down in a fiery, bloddy crash of dispair

Hope they rest him IMO. I don't think they win the game without him, but he's plausibly been hurt since the interception tackle. For those who never saw the gif, he was caught wincing when Hasselbeck pattted on the chest during the TEN game. He has games where he sails his throws when healthy, but it would seem to partly explain his accuracy problems this year.

Coach still has zero doubt he will play. Then again Pagano is a terrible coach...

I'm okay with him as a fan, mainly because he seems to be actually be learning a bit (not as much of the stupid "stop run/ establish run" philosophy). I'd take a smart, aggressive coach in a heartbeat, but there's far worse than Pagano (Marvin Lewis, John Fox, any college coach save Pete, etc.).

No chance he plays. No practice all week is one thing, but he didn't attempt a pass either. All he did was hand off doing some drills.

Not worth mentioning. Everyone is sore, this is not a drew brees situation.

what an asinine comment. moderate yourself. :music_guitarred:

Colts say Luck was limited at practice today...

Pagano: Luck limited at practice today. Confident he will play? "Absolutely.''

Conflicting reports but coach seems confident Luck will be out there. I'm avoiding him in Daily leagues but will roll with him in season-long leagues.

Was going to post that he would play without much in the way of throwing practice reps, but yeah, given the confirmation (again),I'd put the risk of him being inactive at barely nonzero. No word of a setback of any sort, and it doesn't seem that the injury occurred during the week. Something would have to go wrong in pre-game warmups, and it would have to be something worse than, say, getting sacked by J. Casey of the Titans (again, assuming that this injury existed at least Week 3, if not all the way back to part of week 1, with exacerbation over later weeks).

Edit: Remember, although we've been hearing about teams with crappy QBs a lot, this isn't CLE. Luck led a 4th quarter comeback hurt last week, and if he can at all play, he plays. Colts are 1-2, and likely lose without him.

Hope they rest him IMO. I don't think they win the game without him, but he's plausibly been hurt since the interception tackle. For those who never saw the gif, he was caught wincing when Hasselbeck pattted on the chest during the TEN game. He has games where he sails his throws when healthy, but it would seem to partly explain his accuracy problems this year.

I'm okay with him as a fan, mainly because he seems to be actually be learning a bit (not as much of the stupid "stop run/ establish run" philosophy). I'd take a smart, aggressive coach in a heartbeat, but there's far worse than Pagano (Marvin Lewis, John Fox, any college coach save Pete, etc.).

What? Pagano is horrendous. He helps put the roster together with the GM and their roster is straight up garbage. John fox has made it to 2 super bowls with 2 different teams at least.

Colts say Luck was limited at practice today...

Pagano: Luck limited at practice today. Confident he will play? "Absolutely.''

Conflicting reports but coach seems confident Luck will be out there. I'm avoiding him in Daily leagues but will roll with him in season-long leagues.

That pure coach speak. It would be a shock to see Luck play this week. He can't throw a football 48 hours before a game.

That pure coach speak. It would be a shock to see Luck play this week. He can't throw a football 48 hours before a game.

Where did you get "can't? Just curious in case I missed something. There is a wide gulf between "can't" and "didn't." I was mistaken earlier - the top candidate for the onset of injury was the last pick in the Jets game. He's sore enough to need rest, but we don't even know the extent of the injury.

What? Pagano is horrendous. He helps put the roster together with the GM and their roster is straight up garbage. John fox has made it to 2 super bowls with 2 different teams at least.

What did John Fox do for an already-strong DEN roster? Fox is a "never met a punt he didn't like" kind of coach; my condolences to Bears fans. The IND roster is pretty bad, but a bit misunderstood. The DL is the best it has been in years (unfortunately, it's built for stopping the run), and the OL is substantially better than the last several OLs Manning had in IND (i.e., the line is kind of bad, but not flat-out terrible, unlike in the past). The linebackers are solid against the run (again, bad philosophy - I'm not a big Pagano fan), though the ILBs are terrible in coverage. Pagano should get the blame for building to stop the run, though Grigson, after pushing back against the emphasis on the run in a passing league, picked the players that matched Pagano's philosophy (who are actually reasonably solid at it). They didn't inherit much talent. Pagano also punts too much, and tries a 52 yd FG into the wind...but I'd still take him over John Fox. Maybe the numbers show otherwise, but I think Fox is actually even more conservative, and a conservative coach = losing coach (and, frankly, a not-so-bright coach).

He can throw fine, its just sore. They would rather him rest and heal up as much as they can. Hes not wearing any kind of sling or harness. The shock would be if he missed the first game of his career over a sore shoulder.

Where did you get "can't? Just curious in case I missed something. There is a wide gulf between "can't" and "didn't." I was mistaken earlier - the top candidate for the onset of injury was the last pick in the Jets game. He's sore enough to need rest, but we don't even know the extent of the injury.

What did John Fox do for an already-strong DEN roster? Fox is a "never met a punt he didn't like" kind of coach; my condolences to Bears fans. The IND roster is pretty bad, but a bit misunderstood. The DL is the best it has been in years (unfortunately, it's built for stopping the run), and the OL is substantially better than the last several OLs Manning had in IND (i.e., the line is kind of bad, but not flat-out terrible, unlike in the past). The linebackers are solid against the run (again, bad philosophy - I'm not a big Pagano fan), though the ILBs are terrible in coverage. Pagano should get the blame for building to stop the run, though Grigson, after pushing back against the emphasis on the run in a passing league, picked the players that matched Pagano's philosophy (who are actually reasonably solid at it). They didn't inherit much talent. Pagano also punts too much, and tries a 52 yd FG into the wind...but I'd still take him over John Fox. Maybe the numbers show otherwise, but I think Fox is actually even more conservative, and a conservative coach = losing coach (and, frankly, a not-so-bright coach).

They showed a practice video of luck handing off and the reporter said that was all he could do in drills.

I'm not a doctor, but that's not good.

The Oline is one of the worst in football so im not sure how it has improved. Peyton had been to only 2 super bowls before Fox. He gets no credit for taking 2 different teams? Nah. Fox is a better coach. I am a Bears fan and know it doesnt matter anyway. I dont think Fox is a great coach by any means and dont expect much, but id still rather have him than Chucky who took a decent Indy roster and made it worse.

Sucks that Luck is my Qb in both my leagues and Mariotta is my backup in both. In my 2QB league, I had to drop David Johnson to pickup Hasselback as he is the only "starting" qb available. I'm praying Luck is available Sunday, but with a Thursday night game on the horizon I have to believe they rest him.

Yall are some Debbie downers. Its heavily leaning towards Luck playing, you guys are acting like his arm is in a sling. Hes not in a Drew Brees situation where there is structural damage. Hes sore, everyone is sore at some point. throw 50 footballs, you will be sore too.Id be absolutely floored if he did not play.

Yall are some Debbie downers. Its heavily leaning towards Luck playing, you guys are acting like his arm is in a sling. Hes not in a Drew Brees situation where there is structural damage. Hes sore, everyone is sore at some point. throw 50 footballs, you will be sore too.Id be absolutely floored if he did not play.

I don't know if is going to play or not, but I do know:

1. He hasn't thrown a pass at practice all week.

2. Josh Johnson was signed today to their active roster

3. There are articles stating he is 50/50 at best to play (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/02/pagano-confident-about-luck-injury-report-and-roster-move-say-otherwise/)

Who knows if he plays, but there is enough smoke out there right now, that you'd be stupid not to have a contingency plan.

Sucks that Luck is my Qb in both my leagues and Mariotta is my backup in both. In my 2QB league, I had to drop David Johnson to pickup Hasselback as he is the only "starting" qb available. I'm praying Luck is available Sunday, but with a Thursday night game on the horizon I have to believe they rest him.

I don't think they do. Pagano is coaching for his job. Hasselbeck says Luck should be fine.

They showed a practice video of luck handing off and the reporter said that was all he could do in drills.

I'm not a doctor, but that's not good.

Fair enough; thanks for clarifying. I would definitely interpret that as the reporter taking liberties because it makes a better story. "Luck can't throw" is a much better headline than "Luck not throwing in part of practice open to media, and probably throwing minimally, if at all, but was seen throwing just a few days ago in a 4th quarter comeback."

I might be more concerned about Thursday, and suspect the roster move has to do with preparing for Luck getting hurt enough to be pulled mid-game or being prepared to sit him if he's too sore for the road game against J.J. Watt and friends. Doesn't Josh Johnson have some mobility? He might be the backup plan for HOU (as a backup, not a starter). Hasselbeck is terrible at this point - he's on the team to mentor Luck.

The Oline is one of the worst in football so im not sure how it has improved. Peyton had been to only 2 super bowls before Fox. He gets no credit for taking 2 different teams? Nah. Fox is a better coach. I am a Bears fan and know it doesnt matter anyway. I dont think Fox is a great coach by any means and dont expect much, but id still rather have him than Chucky who took a decent Indy roster and made it worse.

OT response spoilered so people can skip. TL;DR: Grigson did the roster, not Pagano. Both (stupidly) conservative; Pagano's players play hard in playoffs/look prepared (they play up); Fox's Broncos played down, hurt by conservative calls, and looked bewilderingly unprepared (intentionally so if I remember correctly! "Treat it like regular season" or some such nonsense).

Agreed that it is bad; I should have said "marginally" better, not "substantially" better. Enough to notice (I don't have subscriptions to check the advanced metrics), but people generally did not realize how much Peyton masked the O-line play, as sacks are almost all on the QB, not the line. The roster, again, is on Grigson, not Pagano. Knowing that, would you still rather have Fox? Granted, in an alternate reality wherein Pagano stays with the Ravens and then becomes the Bears HC instead of Fox, then he'd plausibly be just as bad with losing football philosophy, minus Fox's experience. I think being in Indy has helped him learn to be less conservative and to win ore with the pass (pressure from OC, GM, and having Luck), and that edges him over FOX IMO.

No, Fox does not automatically get credit for "taking two teams to the SB (...unless he does. Any CAR homers care to chime in on whether the HC contributed substantially?)." Pagano's team, btw, has gone progressively further each year with a far less talented roster. By the same logic, Pagano's Colts came in and beat Fox's broncos at Mile High. Was there a playoff game, other than SB, in which DEN was not the heavy favorite? Conservative coaching against BAL in '12 if I recall (please correct if I am thinking of something else). Losing in the playoffs isn't a big deal - the goal is to get there, and then they are a crapshoot. Losing playoff games is a poor justification for firing a coach. Looking completely unprepared, and making conservative (losing) decisions, however, is fair. Pagano's players haven't come out and rolled over like Fox's. They got demolished by a far better Patriots roster (with the most intelligent coach football has seen in the modern era). SEA was not a far better roster; both teams were stacked. DEN seemed completely unprepared for the way that secondary plays - with all of his playoff experience, does John Fox not know that the rules change in the playoffs? Defensive holding, etc., has to be 2014 Byron Maxwell-level egregious. DEN runs a timing offense (like all under Peyton Manning), which is the most susceptible to physical secondaries. DT and Decker aren't small - did they not get jammed and manhandled in practice?

I'd take Fox over Marvin Lewis, though.